The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+7
jt1135
Poe4soul
californiataxes
FamousDavis
Mongrel
rooteen
Fluffy
11 posters

rant rant rant rant....Fking rant

Fluffy
    Fluffy

rant rant rant rant....Fking rant Empty rant rant rant rant....Fking rant

Post  Fluffy Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:11 am

I quickly want to rant about something here....

This past weekend there was a low handicap regional amatuer competition. They put all the tees right at the back on each hole. Most holes had a red(black) flag position. Think this made the course 400-500m longer.... geek

Here's my problem....This isnt difficult. lol! Longer holes combine with back pin positions is the easiest setup position possible. The worst setup condition in my eyes are the front pin positions and front tee box positions, not leaving you a full shot into the green.

With the longer holes,considering most guys would drive around 250meters cheers : this is what would happen on my course:
    -All the danger is out of play,cause now the danger is around 270meters out from the teebox
    -second shots have just became easier with the back pin positions and ball releasing towards pins because of long irons into green.
    -The back pin positions have alot better greens as the pins are normally always infront or middle to cater for the high handicappers.

Why are these guys planning the course setups according to distance and not difficulty of where average shots must land.The whole front nine was as long as possible, on EVERY hole I teed with a 1-iron to have a long iron shot into the green and it was stupid easy to make par or have some birdie chances. I birdied both front9 par5's teeing off with 1-iron on each hole.

1)CAN WE PLEASE STOP having HIGH handicappers setup our prestigous events according to what is difficult to them?
    farao
    2)Can our greens keepers please have a handicap of 18 and lower to understand the need for smooth greens as lower handicaps rely on putting to score...
    albino
    3)Can these guys that manage all of the course details/setups/maintenance please stop assuming we dont know anything about their responsibilities at all.
    study
    4) Can our poa please stop being cut at 3 fking mm. I am going to start chipping on the greens playing in the afternoon.
    afro
    Caddies:
    5) Can our caddies please mark where our balls land to the fking inch so the whole 4ball doesnt have to help them search on every hole. Come-on guys. my 13UK shoes are rare and are already torn, and I mentioned this on the 1st hole.
    confused
    6) With each golfer having different capabilities why cant caddies ask for their yardages to know what club to hand a golfer.If you give them what I am hitting I am laughing already knowing you are short.
    drunken
    7) I have about 800+ readings on every green discribing which way the ball breaks, why cant you make notes to assist with that EXTRA TIP you want...
    Very Happy
    Cool can caddies please just know their distances exactly on the course. I played with a caddie the other day that was 80meters off on a drive distance I requested(but already new)
    elephant
    9) Can us longer hitters stop being pressed for slow play as I naturally have to wait for a shot 230meters out going on the green,or wait on the tee box with my driver for the guys to play their 3rd shot
    Basketball
    10) Pitch marks.....I am only going to say this....F*** disappointed Help

rooteen
    rooteen

rant rant rant rant....Fking rant Empty Re: rant rant rant rant....Fking rant

Post  rooteen Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:07 am

Hey Fluffy, may i suggest a shot of calf's blood to the stomach?............ Apparently all the rage in Oz at the moment.... helps with ranting cheers
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:12 am

rooteen wrote:Hey Fluffy, may i suggest a shot of calf's blood to the stomach?............ Apparently all the rage in Oz at the moment.... helps with ranting cheers

Just thinking we dont have a complaints section...So why not make one.

Personally, I love complaining because I am not allowed to use my fists for sorting out any problems that tend to come my way.The modern era sucks No pale disappointed Crying or Very sad
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:24 am

We Yanks have adopted the modern ways rendering fists obsolete. Guns.
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:52 am

Mostly German wrote:We Yanks have adopted the modern ways rendering fists obsolete. Guns.

Nowadays these guys 2feet shorter then you mouth off to you knowing you cant do anything...

Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:03 am

Fluffy wrote:
    Mostly German wrote:We Yanks have adopted the modern ways rendering fists obsolete. Guns.

Nowadays these guys 2feet shorter then you mouth off to you knowing you cant do anything...

Remington 700 with 6 power Leupold. Reach out and touch someone.
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:10 am

Mostly German wrote:
    Fluffy wrote:

Remington 700 with 6 power Leupold. Reach out and touch someone.

Still....where's the good old days someone could just "brush" off someone from this earth and not have to worry about getting away with it.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:55 am

Good topic fluff. Here's my rant for the day...

Guys that use a friend as a caddy at local amateur tournaments. I played in a fairly big tournament yesterday and one of the guys brought along his 75 year old father as a caddy. This caddy would walk all over the green, fixing pitch marks and basically never standing still. On the 5th hole I had to stop what I was doing and I told him "if you don't stop moving and talking while I'm trying to hit I'm going to ask one of the rules officials to make you leave". He understood and was apologetic but it was an awkward moment that I really could do without.

Plus, the caddy wasn't carrying the guy's bag. He was simply pushing his pull cart and helping him read greens. The player played like crap.

If you are caddying for someone, stay the hell off the green when your player isn't putting and don't move a muscle when others are hitting. Also, don't talk to me or tell me where my ball went. Just STFU.
    californiataxes

Post  californiataxes Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:24 pm

"and don't move a muscle when others are hitting."

Oh, you're one of those guys? Poor concentration.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:29 pm

californiataxes wrote:"and don't move a muscle when others are hitting."

Oh, you're one of those guys? Poor concentration.

No, actually not at all. I don't mind if people are moving around or even talking lightly when I'm playing a normal round. However, if you are a caddy and it's a tournament then you should do your best to act invisible to the rest of the players. Stay off the green unless it's your player's turn to putt.

It's called etiquette.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:11 pm

Etiquette must have been dropped from the golf curriculum some years ago. When I started to play at elementary school age, my father was my teacher and was a tough task master when it came to etiquette. He would not allow me to play with his golf buddies until I had learned how to act on the course and even if I didn't play very well, I knew the ropes and never got in the way. Its funny but I can tell if a guy knows it before we even leave the first tee and just like my pre-shot routine, I will always adhere to what I was taught 50+ years ago.
    Poe4soul
    Poe4soul

Post  Poe4soul Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:31 pm

FamousDavis wrote:Good topic fluff. Here's my rant for the day...

Guys that use a friend as a caddy at local amateur tournaments. I played in a fairly big tournament yesterday and one of the guys brought along his 75 year old father as a caddy. This caddy would walk all over the green, fixing pitch marks and basically never standing still. On the 5th hole I had to stop what I was doing and I told him "if you don't stop moving and talking while I'm trying to hit I'm going to ask one of the rules officials to make you leave". He understood and was apologetic but it was an awkward moment that I really could do without.

Plus, the caddy wasn't carrying the guy's bag. He was simply pushing his pull cart and helping him read greens. The player played like crap.

If you are caddying for someone, stay the hell off the green when your player isn't putting and don't move a muscle when others are hitting. Also, don't talk to me or tell me where my ball went. Just STFU.

Last year I played with a league that would pair low cappers and high cappers. It never failed that the low cappers would make all kinds of etiquette mistakes. Moving was the norm. I don't mind movement if it's constant but it's the guy who stands still until you're in the middle of your back swing and starts moving all around. I complained about pairing lows with highs and they said it wasn't going to change so I'm not playing with them this year.
    californiataxes

Post  californiataxes Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:29 pm

Mostly German wrote:Etiquette must have been dropped from the golf curriculum ...

When I think of lost golf etiquette, mostly I think of shabby attire. At least here in NorCal, it's now unheard of for a public course to prohibit denim or t-shirts. And then of course there's the new habit of younger males to go with the unshaven look. Compared with all this, moving, hitting out of order, or even talking during my swing is insignificant. And to the guy who's nostalgic for the days when he could swing on smaller guys who dared to speak to him, sir, isn't that kind of an admission of sissyhood? Really tough guys fight up.
    jt1135
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:08 pm

californiataxes wrote:
    Mostly German wrote:Etiquette must have been dropped from the golf curriculum ...

When I think of lost golf etiquette, mostly I think of shabby attire. At least here in NorCal, it's now unheard of for a public course to prohibit denim or t-shirts. And then of course there's the new habit of younger males to go with the unshaven look. Compared with all this, moving, hitting out of order, or even talking during my swing is insignificant. And to the guy who's nostalgic for the days when he could swing on smaller guys who dared to speak to him, sir, isn't that kind of an admission of sissyhood? Really tough guys fight up.

My buddy the body guy and an old fella that helps him often go out at noon for a quick nine then back to work and they aren't the only ones that do that. The got their own carts and are in jeans and t-shirts. Lot of us dress like that out here in the Midwest. But only at the local course. Going to other courses everybody generally dresses accordingly. Courses like my local muni need to keep the revenue up or otherwise they will close. The last couple of years the membership has been climbing but for about 5-7 years before that it was dropping. Old guys croaking or too old to play and very few new members signing up. Population of only 3200 people but we are still managing to keep it open. As I've said before, it is actually a very nice course and there are groups that have been coming here for twenty years from the metro a hundred miles away, to play the weekend here. The college from the neighboring town comes over to our course to play tournaments even tho the town 30 miles away has their own course. Have had state regionals held here also. So which is worse, everybody looking like sophisticated golfers for 2 years and shutting the course down or wearing serviceable clothes and staying open.
    Poe4soul
    Poe4soul

Post  Poe4soul Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:44 pm

jt1135 wrote:
    californiataxes wrote:

My buddy the body guy and an old fella that helps him often go out at noon for a quick nine then back to work and they aren't the only ones that do that. The got their own carts and are in jeans and t-shirts. Lot of us dress like that out here in the Midwest. But only at the local course. Going to other courses everybody generally dresses accordingly. Courses like my local muni need to keep the revenue up or otherwise they will close. The last couple of years the membership has been climbing but for about 5-7 years before that it was dropping. Old guys croaking or too old to play and very few new members signing up. Population of only 3200 people but we are still managing to keep it open. As I've said before, it is actually a very nice course and there are groups that have been coming here for twenty years from the metro a hundred miles away, to play the weekend here. The college from the neighboring town comes over to our course to play tournaments even tho the town 30 miles away has their own course. Have had state regionals held here also. So which is worse, everybody looking like sophisticated golfers for 2 years and shutting the course down or wearing serviceable clothes and staying open.

And I'm all for the females wearing tub tops or bikini's. I do agree that the girls should be devoid of hair or stubble. Duh!

I don't really care if people wear denim or tee shirts as long as they can 1)keep up with the group ahead of them 2)know some basic etiquette.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:01 pm

I don't mind jeans but I really don't like tank tops and gym shorts. I play several military courses and lots of the retired guys wear jeans or really old clothing. I could really care less. At least these guys play fairly quickly. Nothing worse than some dipstick who's dressed all fancy who takes an eternity to hit the ball. Slow play is like a cancer these days and it's horrible in tournaments.

I know I've argued with other people on this board about GPS devices. Yesterday I didn't have one with me and I was playing in a tournament. I would quickly look at the 100, 150 or 200 yard marker and figure it out. Or, if I was on a Par 3 I'd simply look at the scorecard and then find the in-ground marker. I didn't need to step it off or any other BS. This is not rocket science. I'm a 6 handicap and from 150 out all I want to do is hit it somewhere on the green. The idea that I need to know yardage down to the last yard is ridiculous.

So, I'm playing with this other guy (the dingleberry who brought the caddy) and on every single friggin' shot he's using his rangefinder. He takes it out of the protective case, hands it to his caddy who reads the yardage. Next, he uses it himself to read the yardage...not once but twice. He shoots it, looks at the flag and then shoots it again. Next, he hits a crappy shot. This guy must have shot an 88 or higher that day. Toward the end I was almost laughing when I saw him shooting yardage on his Bushnell. I felt like saying "you haven't hit the green once. Shouldn't you be praying or something?".

GPS and laser devices slow down play. Theoretically they should make people play faster. In practice, they slow things down because they don't always work as promised and there's a human being on the other end trying to use it.

Oh, and this guy using the rangefinder? He hit his irons short of the green every single time. Without exception. Toward the end of the round I thought he should be committed. How can a sane person continue to hit iron shots short all day long? Is it denial? "No, I refuse to accept that I only hit an 8 iron 135 yards". Nuts.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:51 pm

Amen. Probably fewer than five percent of the male amateurs in the world can routinely hit approach shots within ten yards of the indicated distance. About the same percentage who can break 90 counting all the shots and playing by the ROG. However, I would also lay some blame on the course operators themselves. If I was in charge of a golf course, there would be markers on every hole that were consistent in type and location in relation to the hole. A local muni has blue 200 yard markers, white 150's and red 100's on discrete signs on both sides of every two and three shot fairway. If you need anything more specific, you are a member of some professional organization and playing golf for your living. Mongrel out.
    Poe4soul
    Poe4soul

Post  Poe4soul Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:13 pm

That's awesome to hear guys but in practice that same OCD guy that shot the flag three times would pace off his distance to one or two markers. What takes longer? It's not the device, it's the people.

Courses I'm familiar with I don't have to use the range finder but on a few shots or on layups. But I use the hell out of it on a new course or one I've only played a couple of times. I also find it useful when the course has large greens and don't supply pin sheets. Front middle and back is stupid when the green is 40 yards plus long. Because of the use of range finders and GPS devices I'm seeing more courses are not maintaining their yardage markers.
    jt1135
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:50 pm

I carry a garmin even on my home course because I have been known to be in the wrong fairway every now and then. drunken
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:40 am

jt1135 wrote:I carry a garmin even on my home course because I have been known to be in the wrong fairway every now and then. drunken

When being in the wrong fairway....I agree....GPS required. I do sometimes get a "dont-give-a-fuck" shot off the tee,but need to make birdie still. I have this thing where I dont care where my Tee shot is....If I can make a backswing on my green-in-regulation shot I can get it on from anywhere.
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:49 am

FamousDavis wrote:Good topic fluff. Here's my rant for the day...

My father has started walking with me on the course, He is 57. He has this excitement tand want to help everybody to find there ball,and when they ask where there ball went to explain to them exactly to the mm where it is.

Ive told my father:
    1) Screw anyone else....You came to walk with me.
    2) Forget the other people's balls and what they shot.
    3) I dont care if they are cheating or counting wrong, this is not a nursery
    4) No they have the bigger handicap so I cant win:)

My father keeps out of sight,does not come on to the green,does not take the pin, I told him he is purely there to observe and help me; no one else.Where my cart goes he goes.

I refuse to help anyone look for their ball. Especially after I mentioned how 5 seconds after each shot you can determine where your ball went,close to what stake/tree give the tree a name and determine how far left/right etc.
    The other day I told a guy,check where your ball is going,it can get lost in the dirt/shade. I found his ball purely on determining the quality of his strike....about 80meters from where he was searching!!!
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:40 am

Fluffy, you are the first big man I've encountered who has Napoleon Syndrome.
    Help your group find their ball. It's just a common courtesy. Sure, it can get annoying, especially if a guy consistently can't figure out where his shot goes, but you still have to do it.
    Use tact and teach people etiquette. I guarantee that most people are just ignorant, not deliberate with their bad etiquette. I'm sure I wasn't great when I first started playing, but thankfully there were people who taught me the ropes.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:51 am

When and if you get to be my age and can still play a bit of golf, you will be glad that there are younger guys with better eyesight in your group who will tell you where yours went. Might want to think about paying it forward.
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:02 am

Mostly German wrote:When and if you get to be my age and can still play a bit of golf, you will be glad that there are younger guys with better eyesight in your group who will tell you where yours went. Might want to think about paying it forward.

My eyesight is already bad..Only got glasses last year after not wearing at all for +-24years. They picked up my eye problem at 6months old...thats another story.

Anyway If someone asks me on a certain shot or two I wouldnt mind, the same if I ask them on one or two. but intentionally swearing and turning backwards to hit your club on the ground then asking people where your ball went is not cutting it for me...not at all...

On putting greens people do it all the time when they hit their ball 2meters past the hole....I cant wait to mention "atleast you got a line back to the cup", just because I know they didnt look at their ball untill it stopped.
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:12 am

Horseballs wrote:Fluffy, you are the first big man I've encountered who has Napoleon Syndrome.
    Help your group find their ball. It's just a common courtesy. Sure, it can get annoying, especially if a guy consistently can't figure out where his shot goes, but you still have to do it.
    Use tact and teach people etiquette. I guarantee that most people are just ignorant, not deliberate with their bad etiquette. I'm sure I wasn't great when I first started playing, but thankfully there were people who taught me the ropes.

I posted a reply on this,but it didnt come up....

basically stating that I wear a 13UK shoe....I cant get shoes that fit.Especially golf shoes. If I mention the 5 second trick after your first shot you didnt watch, adding my achiles tendon problem and that my current shoes after 9months are already torn; there is no way in hell I am going to help you search after that.

I dont think I have Napoleon Syndrome(wikipedia helped), Its just very hard and frustrating for me when people intentionally tries to piss you off, pick on you,being offensive towards me for no reason, or as recently trying to police your every action on the golf course.....Being 6'6" 270pounds knowing that you cant do anything against this behaviour received from them,people will do it even more....And I consider myself a kind, generous, extremely humble person. Emphasis being on the humble part....

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 5:50 am