The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

5 posters

Footwork and the swing...

Lord Helmet
    Lord Helmet

Footwork and the swing... Empty Footwork and the swing...

Post  Lord Helmet Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:42 pm

Anyone conscious of their footwork during the swing? Ignore it? Focus on it? Etc....

Got my buddy to video me and I noticed at the start of the downswing, my rear foot wants to get up on the toes, which pushes me forward (towards the ball). My tush goes 'in' and my upper body straightens up a bit to compensate. Were not talking alot, but I suspect its enough to throw off timing, which leads to inconsistant shots.

So I am focusing on trying to keep my rear foot down longer. I know I need to strengthen my glutes as well.

Saw a good youtube video from Jim Flick (RIP) teaching a student w/ driver, telling him to keep his rear foot down. Interesting.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Footwork and the swing... Empty Re: Footwork and the swing...

Post  FamousDavis Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:09 pm

Lord Helmet wrote:Anyone conscious of their footwork during the swing? Ignore it? Focus on it? Etc....

Got my buddy to video me and I noticed at the start of the downswing, my rear foot wants to get up on the toes, which pushes me forward (towards the ball). My tush goes 'in' and my upper body straightens up a bit to compensate. Were not talking alot, but I suspect its enough to throw off timing, which leads to inconsistant shots.

So I am focusing on trying to keep my rear foot down longer. I know I need to strengthen my glutes as well.

Saw a good youtube video from Jim Flick (RIP) teaching a student w/ driver, telling him to keep his rear foot down. Interesting.

One time I was at Golf Galaxy in the simulator and one of the employees started making comments about how, on the downswing I was pushing off with the ball of my right foot. He said that he was a class A teaching pro and that I should be keeping the right foot down coming into the ball and allowing the whole foot to start folding to the left, rather than coming up and pushing off the ball of the foot. Fred Couples does this move as do most pros. However, Tiger does not. Tiger pushes off the ball of his right foot.

Also, could you please not use the word "tush".

Footwork is very important. Lee Trevino always bragged about having great leg work and foot work. Did you know that he once broke par by only using a Dr. Pepper bottle?
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:29 pm

FamousDavis wrote:
    Lord Helmet wrote:Anyone conscious of their footwork during the swing? Ignore it? Focus on it? Etc....

One time I was at Golf Galaxy in the simulator and one of the employees started making comments about how, on the downswing I was pushing off with the ball of my right foot. He said that he was a class A teaching pro and that I should be keeping the right foot down coming into the ball and allowing the whole foot to start folding to the left, rather than coming up and pushing off the ball of the foot. Fred Couples does this move as do most pros. However, Tiger does not. Tiger pushes off the ball of his right foot.

Footwork is very important. Lee Trevino always bragged about having great leg work and foot work. Did you know that he once broke par by only using a Dr. Pepper bottle?

Damn it all. Just call your ass your ass and you'll be on the road to better ball-striking. In the late '80's, my golf partner and I were playing down in Sarasota at an Arnold Palmer course and on the 18th tee, you had to clear a large lake with your tee shot. We were playing from the backs and the carry was at least 225 into a slight left to right wind. It was a long par 4. So I concentrate on slowing down the swing a bit and right before impact, I thrust my right ass check around and forward violently and hit a beautiful draw with my Tommy Armour Golden Scot 8.5* driver that carried around 250 and rolled another 30 yards leaving me a wedge to the green. My parner who had been a mini-tour pro and had finally re-gained amateur status, said that "I really got my ass into that one." I took it as the highest compliment that could have been paid.

Re: Footwork. Pushing off hard with the inside of your rear foot was a very powerful move back when players could wear real golf shoes. Metal spikes. Hitting a ball with more than a wedge with the back foot flat at impact is a technique to be used when you want to hit a higher, softer shot that carries a good bit shorter than with a normal swing where the right foot is mostly weightless as the cluhead comes through the ball.
    Homeslice
    Homeslice

Post  Homeslice Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:47 pm

[quote="FamousDavis"]
    Lord Helmet wrote: Did you know that he once broke par by only using a Dr. Pepper bottle?
    FYI, it was a Diet Mt. Dew bottle (the old glass kind) and it was duct taped to a pool cue. (I know right?! Those Mexicans and duct tape.)
    And he broke 60, not par. Shot a 58. But he did play one set of tees forward from the tips.
    Just thought I would clarify the common misconception.

Lord Helmet
    Lord Helmet

Post  Lord Helmet Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:14 pm

FamousDavis wrote:

Now that you mention the Golf Galaxy thing - seem to recall you mentioning it on GR way back.

LOL at 'tush'.....its what my 7yr old calls it.

Going to try keeping my left foot down more thru the downswing.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:18 pm

[quote="Homeslice"]
    FamousDavis wrote:
    Lord Helmet wrote: Did you know that he once broke par by only using a Dr. Pepper bottle?
    FYI, it was a Diet Mt. Dew bottle (the old glass kind) and it was duct taped to a pool cue. (I know right?! Those Mexicans and duct tape.)
    And he broke 60, not par. Shot a 58. But he did play one set of tees forward from the tips.
    Just thought I would clarify the common misconception.

but he's no where close to the skills of this guy
    http://www.cybergolf.com/golf_news/alltime_golf_scoring_record_goes_with_death_of_kim_jong_il

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 5:19 pm