The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

3 posters

Ha!!! it works...

Mongrel
    Mongrel

Ha!!!  it works... - Page 2 Empty Re: Ha!!! it works...

Post  Mongrel Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:10 am

Last time I played it was with my club group at the end of May. There were 24 of us. Four guys broke 90. All are 10 caps or less. I shot a 98 that included a 10 on that motherf*cker #18. Thirteen guys failed to break 100.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:35 am

Mongrel wrote:Last time I played it was with my club group at the end of May. There were 24 of us. Four guys broke 90. All are 10 caps or less. I shot a 98 that included a 10 on that motherf*cker #18. Thirteen guys failed to break 100.

I've learned a trick how to play the #18 hole from my friend : Stay right of fairway of the first shot, Stay left or middle on the second shot, then go left of the green... try it next time  Laughing 
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:09 pm

The tee we play from on that hole is the one aligned with the center of the fairway. On that day, the markers were set on the tee hugging the left side with the high bank on the left and the tree line straight ahead. I should have aimed at the right fairway bunker and hit a straight ball or a slight fade which would have left me well short of the bunker. Instead, I aimed just right of the big tree and tried to cut a hard cut but pulled it a bit and caught some branches. The ball dropped straight down about 200 yards out just to the left of the cart path in the rough. It was cart path, only, that day so instead of walking up to the fairway to pick a safe line, I aimed to the right of where I thought the pond on the left was and nailed a 6 iron from the rough. Unfortunately, my ball rolled into the pond. After that, I was f*cked on that hole. Next time I will hit the drive to the right and hit my second as far up the fairway towards that narrow neck between the ponds which is Position A. About 130 out. My problem when I have been there in two is that I always succumb to the temptation to take an 8 or 9 iron and go right at the flag. Of course, the pond cuts in with that steep shaved bank and there you go. Next time, I will take a 7 or 6 and just try to hit it over the left side of the green. A 6 beats the snot out of an 8 or a 10.

Now I just scored a secret weapon yesterday at Golfsmith. A Cleveland Mashie 20.5* with senior flex shaft. I went there bound and determined to get a hybrid that I could hit solid more than 50% of the time. I hit about 10 used hybrids in their simulator and that Mashie was the longest and produced the highest percentage of solid shots by a large margin. I was hitting it between 170-190 in the simulator. It looked new and the factory sticker was still on the club face. For $19.95, I had no choice but to take it home with me. Now I took it out to my field this afternoon to see if the simulator was accurate or not. I hit about 40 shots with it both into and with the wind off both tight lies and typical first cut rough lies. Most of the shots were solid and the few miss-hits went 170-180 yards. Into the wind, the solid shots went 180-205. Downwind, 190-225 yards. Now with the senior flex shaft, I had to exercise some restraint to keep it from going left but I never hit a hybrid that felt as good or flew so well. Now, I couldn't even hit a fairway wood that far or as reliable. I laughed at the club when Cleveland introduced it but I ain't laughing now. Monster hybrid.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:11 am

Mongrel wrote:The tee we play from on that hole is the one aligned with the center of the fairway. On that day, the markers were set on the tee hugging the left side with the high bank on the left and the tree line straight ahead. I should have aimed at the right fairway bunker and hit a straight ball or a slight fade which would have left me well short of the bunker. Instead, I aimed just right of the big tree and tried to cut a hard cut but pulled it a bit and caught some branches. The ball dropped straight down about 200 yards out just to the left of the cart path in the rough. It was cart path, only, that day so instead of walking up to the fairway to pick a safe line, I aimed to the right of where I thought the pond on the left was and nailed a 6 iron from the rough. Unfortunately, my ball rolled into the pond. After that, I was f*cked on that hole. Next time I will hit the drive to the right and hit my second as far up the fairway towards that narrow neck between the ponds which is Position A. About 130 out. My problem when I have been there in two is that I always succumb to the temptation to take an 8 or 9 iron and go right at the flag. Of course, the pond cuts in with that steep shaved bank and there you go. Next time, I will take a 7 or 6 and just try to hit it over the left side of the green. A 6 beats the snot out of an 8 or a 10.

Now I just scored a secret weapon yesterday at Golfsmith. A Cleveland Mashie 20.5* with senior flex shaft. I went there bound and determined to get a hybrid that I could hit solid more than 50% of the time. I hit about 10 used hybrids in their simulator and that Mashie was the longest and produced the highest percentage of solid shots by a large margin. I was hitting it between 170-190 in the simulator. It looked new and the factory sticker was still on the club face. For $19.95, I had no choice but to take it home with me. Now I took it out to my field this afternoon to see if the simulator was accurate or not. I hit about 40 shots with it both into and with the wind off both tight lies and typical first cut rough lies. Most of the shots were solid and the few miss-hits went 170-180 yards. Into the wind, the solid shots went 180-205. Downwind, 190-225 yards. Now with the senior flex shaft, I had to exercise some restraint to keep it from going left but I never hit a hybrid that felt as good or flew so well. Now, I couldn't even hit a fairway wood that far or as reliable. I laughed at the club when Cleveland introduced it but I ain't laughing now. Monster hybrid.
    ==================================================================
    Now you know how to avoid a 'blow-up" on the #18 at Pilgrims' Oak  bounce bounce 

I don't even carry a 6i in my bag....

Driver, 3W, 5W, 19* , 21*, 23* HiBore XLS gaybrids, 7i, 8i, 9i, PW, 50* GW, 56* SW, 60* LW... good enough for me
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:14 am

Oh, I've known it since the first time I played it two years ago. Knowing it and having the discipline to do it are different things.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 2:03 pm