The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+6
Lorenzzo
Poe4soul
Horseballs
Mongrel
Pky6471
Hubijerk
10 posters

My quest for new irons

FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

My quest for new irons - Page 2 Empty Re: My quest for new irons

Post  FamousDavis Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:44 pm

Hubijerk wrote:Those Cobra's are fantastic irons, center shafted putters have never been my style, in fact except for a brief stint in college with a Nike Oz bendy shaft spaceship looking mallet that made everything I looked at for a time I've never used anything but Anser style putters.  

Played a few more with the 69's, they may actually be closer to a full club longer, I found myself on the back of a few greens and it's unusual for me to be much past the hole.  One approach in particular had me sitting 180 to the center, pin in front left at about 172 into a slight wind and uphill a bit.  This is a shot I am familiar with, it was an easy draw with a 7 iron with my AP2's which would leave me about 5-10 feet past the hole.  I hit the same shot, find the ball sitting on the back edge with the pitch mark 1-2 yards short of where it finished.  So I flew the 7 around 190 uphill into the wind which is stupid.  

The ballflight of the KBS is way different than the x100, where as the x100 starts lower and climbs steadily and then seemingly drops almost straight down from it's apex, the KBS gets up fast, then drives forward descending  while still carrying some forward momentum, based on where my balls ended up in relation to the pitch marks it seems as though I'm carrying less spin which would explain the distance jump (and the mizzy's are about 1 degree stronger than my titty's but I think it's more shaft than anything)

Thin shots lose very little, heel shots lose very little, toe shots lose way less then any other blade I've ever hit.  The 3 iron is an absolute laser guided missile launcher if you have the hooch for it.  I had 240 to the flag on a par 5 and landed the 3  pretty much exactly where I was looking at on the front fringe leaving me an easy 15ft eagle putt that I of course blew... Can't wait to hit me some stingers with this b*tch, should be able to get them to roll for miles.

The double soft stepped r12 60* throws darts, way way way more spin then the normal stiff shafted KBS tour that's in the sand wedge, which is fine, but the double soft step does make a huge difference, especially on short chips and pitches.

I never had any success with AP2s. They seem to fly a 1/2 club shorter than normal and to me they don't really feel like a forged club.

It's hard to go wrong with Mizuno MP irons. The MP-32 is the best feeling iron I've tried that also has some forgiveness built into it. I can't imagine playing X-100 shafts.

One thing I should mention is that I tried out a Taylormade RAC OS 7 iron in the simulator the other day. Man that club felt great. Wonderful feeling at impact and plenty of distance. It's actually an OK club to look down at despite the offset.
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:05 am

Hubijerk wrote:Those Cobra's are fantastic irons, center shafted putters have never been my style, in fact except for a brief stint in college with a Nike Oz bendy shaft spaceship looking mallet that made everything I looked at for a time I've never used anything but Anser style putters.  

Played a few more with the 69's, they may actually be closer to a full club longer, I found myself on the back of a few greens and it's unusual for me to be much past the hole.  One approach in particular had me sitting 180 to the center, pin in front left at about 172 into a slight wind and uphill a bit.  This is a shot I am familiar with, it was an easy draw with a 7 iron with my AP2's which would leave me about 5-10 feet past the hole.  I hit the same shot, find the ball sitting on the back edge with the pitch mark 1-2 yards short of where it finished.  So I flew the 7 around 190 uphill into the wind which is stupid.  

The ballflight of the KBS is way different than the x100, where as the x100 starts lower and climbs steadily and then seemingly drops almost straight down from it's apex, the KBS gets up fast, then drives forward descending  while still carrying some forward momentum, based on where my balls ended up in relation to the pitch marks it seems as though I'm carrying less spin which would explain the distance jump (and the mizzy's are about 1 degree stronger than my titty's but I think it's more shaft than anything)

Thin shots lose very little, heel shots lose very little, toe shots lose way less then any other blade I've ever hit.  The 3 iron is an absolute laser guided missile launcher if you have the hooch for it.  I had 240 to the flag on a par 5 and landed the 3  pretty much exactly where I was looking at on the front fringe leaving me an easy 15ft eagle putt that I of course blew... Can't wait to hit me some stingers with this b*tch, should be able to get them to roll for miles.

The double soft stepped r12 60* throws darts, way way way more spin then the normal stiff shafted KBS tour that's in the sand wedge, which is fine, but the double soft step does make a huge difference, especially on short chips and pitches.

Also have a set of mp69s....Mine has the x100s in them. THEY ARE AWESOME......They are also going further for me,considering the mp69s do have a little stronger lofts I feel the x100 I have in is the reason for my distance increase....As for the long irons I would easily choose a 3-6 iron over 7-9 as the long irons are easy stupid to hit. Working these irons either way are the easiest ever.
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:07 am

PS..

My previous mizunos blades lasted 11years(the grooves)
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:47 am

I think I've finally found a set of irons that suits me perfectly: Taylormade Tour Burner irons with stock stiff steel shafts. I picked up a set in excellent condition, 3-PW & GW for $179 and put them in the bag yesterday. Perfect trajectory, great feel, nice to look at without too much offset and the shaft flex feels perfect. The gap wedge is deadly. I like these much better than my Callaway X-20 irons. I shall use them next weekend to defend my club championship title.

Also, I really like the other two clubs I put into play yesterday. The first one is the Taylormade Rossa Tourismo, center shafted putter. Easy to line up and the insert feels great.

Next, the Titleist 910 D3 8.5 with Aldila RIP Alpha 'red eyes' stiff. Me likey.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:14 pm

Several of the old boys in my club have that 910 driver. One guy just got his at the beginning of the season and is number 3 in the points standing and has won twice. That driver has transformed his game. It is next on my list but every one I see comes without the Titleist weight kit in its custom little pouch and the special wrench. I bet those did not come with yours but if it did you are lucky. Those damn drivers are adjustable and I have to have one. At my price. So it will be next season at the earliest.
    BBQpig
    BBQpig

Post  BBQpig Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:58 pm

FamousDavis wrote:I think I've finally found a set of irons that suits me perfectly:  Taylormade Tour Burner irons with stock stiff steel shafts.   I picked up a set in excellent condition, 3-PW & GW for $179 and put them in the bag yesterday.   Perfect trajectory, great feel, nice to look at without too much offset and the shaft flex feels perfect.   The gap wedge is deadly.  I like these much better than my Callaway X-20 irons.  I shall use them next weekend to defend my club championship title.  

Also, I really like the other two clubs I put into play yesterday.   The first one is the Taylormade Rossa Tourismo, center shafted putter.  Easy to line up and the insert feels great.  

Next, the Titleist 910 D3 8.5 with Aldila RIP Alpha 'red eyes' stiff.  Me likey.  

Yep sure don't get much better than these!
    My quest for new irons - Page 2 F_35274091_1
    I think I'm going to toss now.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:51 pm

Dat iron have button on rear in the cavity. Only way to hit the ball "on the button" wit those is to hit it left-handed. What were they thinking?
    BBQpig
    BBQpig

Post  BBQpig Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:36 pm

Mongrel wrote:Dat iron have button on rear in the cavity. Only way to hit the ball "on the button" wit those is to hit it left-handed. What were they thinking?

A Chinese entrenching shovel.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:40 pm

BBQpig wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:I think I've finally found a set of irons that suits me perfectly:  Taylormade Tour Burner irons with stock stiff steel shafts.   I picked up a set in excellent condition, 3-PW & GW for $179 and put them in the bag yesterday.   Perfect trajectory, great feel, nice to look at without too much offset and the shaft flex feels perfect.   The gap wedge is deadly.  I like these much better than my Callaway X-20 irons.  I shall use them next weekend to defend my club championship title.  

Also, I really like the other two clubs I put into play yesterday.   The first one is the Taylormade Rossa Tourismo, center shafted putter.  Easy to line up and the insert feels great.  

Next, the Titleist 910 D3 8.5 with Aldila RIP Alpha 'red eyes' stiff.  Me likey.  

Nice of you to post a photo of the Burner Plus. The only problem is that those are not the irons I acquired. I picked up a set of Taylormade Tour Burner irons; a much different set than the Burner Plus.
    BBQpig
    BBQpig

Post  BBQpig Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:17 am

FamousDavis wrote:
    BBQpig wrote:

Nice of you to post a photo of the Burner Plus.  The only problem is that those are not the irons I acquired.  I picked up a set of Taylormade Tour Burner irons; a much different set than the Burner Plus.  
    I know, that was extra.
    Hubijerk
    Hubijerk

Post  Hubijerk Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:19 am

initial review up in review section.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 3:53 pm