The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+9
Lorenzzo
Big Dave
jmtbkr
trombettista_vecchio
Player
Kiwigolfer
Mongrel
Horseballs
FamousDavis
13 posters

Worst Clubs of all Time

FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Worst Clubs of all Time Empty Worst Clubs of all Time

Post  FamousDavis Fri May 03, 2013 2:04 pm

This thread is dedicated to the worst clubs you've ever played or demo'd. I'm not talking ugly, as ugly can be beautiful if it performs. I'm talking clubs that just outright sucked regardless of how they looked: Here are my least favorites:

1. 1993 Callaway Big Bertha Warbird Driver: I could not hit this club. The shaft was so whippy that my drives would shoot straight up with a ton of spin and land with no roll. My Pittsburg Persimmon outdrove this club by 30 yards.

2. 2008 Titleist 907 D2 Driver. I wanted to love this driver. I think it's one of the best looking drivers of all time. Unfortunately, it had no sweetspot and was very short. I've tried it with several shafts and nothing worked. It's the Yugo of drivers.

3. 1998 Cleveland TA3 irons (not the form forged ones): These came out in 1998 or somewhere around then. I wanted to like them because I thought they looked fantastic at address. With the first hit on the range I knew there was no chance. It felt like hitting an 8 iron against a tree trunk. One of the worst feeling irons I've ever tried. Garbage.

4. 1997 Ping ISI irons: Ugly, huge offset and the third consecutive failure in a row for Ping. The Eye 2s felt better and gave better distance. Horrible feel.

5. 1993 Taylormade System 2 Midsize Driver: This was Taylormade's brilliant response to the Big Bertha. This driver flew 10 yards short of the Taylormade Tour Burner woods that had been around for 5 years. It was ugly and came with a bi-colored shaft that nobody liked. This was the beginning of the end for Taylormade in the 90's. They've come back since but it was a long journey.

Horseballs
    Horseballs

Worst Clubs of all Time Empty Re: Worst Clubs of all Time

Post  Horseballs Fri May 03, 2013 2:35 pm

Callaway C4 driver
    Wishon 550MB irons
    Taylor Made wedges with the replaceable faces
    Callaway FT 3 wood
    Adams Superblack hybrid
    Scotty Cameron putter

The worst set of clubs ever assembled
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Fri May 03, 2013 3:01 pm

I have a 907D2 10.5* and will never get rid of it because the head shape at address is just about perfect. Of course it has a sweet spot but it is above the horizontal center of the face and just a little more than a half an inch below where the face meets the crown. In other words, hitting that spot comes real close to a skyball. If you gots the skill, you get de kill.

Any club from the design house of Jesse Ortiz or made by Adams that has "Tight Lies" on it means I will not be able to do anything other than pop the motherf*cker straight up with in whether the ball sits on a low tee or off concrete.
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Fri May 03, 2013 3:44 pm

Callaway FTi Driver - demoed this club with a buddy who was looking for a new driver. He hated it immediately and so did I. It looked like a POS, the feel at impact was what you would expect from hitting a $30 piece of garbage from Walmart and the sound at impact was like hitting a garbage can with with a 9 iron. To top it all off the asking price was almost twice the price of the other drivers we demoed that day. What a piece of shit from Callaway. That club has permanently scarred my perception of Callaway the brand.

Worst Clubs of all Time Z
    Player
    Player

Post  Player Fri May 03, 2013 10:10 pm

Another vote for C4 driver, unbelievably bad. I also agree with TA3 irons, though I would have the early tm forged TP cavities up there for non existent sweetspots. The only club I would add to that list is the second Ping titanium driver, in between the ISI and the G2. Man that was a pos.
    trombettista_vecchio
    trombettista_vecchio

Post  trombettista_vecchio Sat May 04, 2013 1:04 am

Hogan Apex PC irons…everything short, wide, low, and ugly.

Adams Tight Lies original fairway wood…lie angle was at least three clubs upright.

TaylorMade Firesole Rescue…it seemed that the hybrid would arrive stillborn.

Any wedge with more than 8° bounce from a good fairway lie.

Every putter made from the beginning of time.
    Player
    Player

Post  Player Sat May 04, 2013 8:08 am

I almost forgot Henry Griffits, without doubt the most over priced rubbish ever made. They were priced higher than mizzy forged but were cheap castings. A slick marketing campaign of letting suckers hit 8 irons that had longer shafts than a regular 5 iron made idiots think they were getting more distance, but when they took delivery they realised they couldnt hit anything above 7 to save themselves. What made it worse was that they had no re sale value because they were boutique clubs and really poor quality. A lot of people really got burned by HG.
    jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr Sat May 04, 2013 8:13 am

I'm only playing a few years, so I haven't developed any kind of feel for equipment other than what I have assembled.
    I will say that the starter set I bought 6yrs ago by Confidence Golf are rather heavy, ugly sticks that spray all over the place. Reason I stepped up after the first year of playing. What crap. They have chips in the irons from hitting rocks and 3 shafts have cracked (my son uses them). I guess thats what you get for $200 w/bag Laughing
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Sat May 04, 2013 2:57 pm

You gave your crap clubs to your son? Man, I don't know about that. My father used to hand me down his gamers when he got something newer and better. Of course the older forged blades had nicks and rusty faces and worn grips but they were still premium clubs. And the persimmon woods he gave me were top of the line MacGregors with those thunderbird-like logos but they wood was nicked and some of the Cycolac inserts were cracked and the screws rusted but they still hit good. When you did. What pissed me off about them was that the whipping would start to unravel and that unnverved me to no end. I usually ended up wrapping some black electrical tape around the whipping but that looked like shit. Later on he gave me a set of game improvement Wilsons-- 1200's if I recall. They were OK but when I decided to get back into the game I ended up buying a new set of Maxfli Australian Blades. The original ones. He also gave me a set of Wilson woods with laminated wood heads. Despite how everyone raved about persimmon, there is nothing not made of metal that is more solid than laminated wood heads. Those Wilsons were real solid but the creme de la creme of wood laminates was Ping.

When my son was about 15 or so, I gave him a pristine used set of Titleist Tour blades. Next summer the first time we played a round I saw he had some POS knock-off shovels and I asked about the blades. He said that the asshole pro at the club I used to belong to and the X & kids still enjoyed told him that he couldn't hit those blades and sold him the shovels. Later on I gave him my Tit 975D when I got my first 983K and he loved it. Then I got my first 905T and gave him the 983K with the Prolite 3.5 stiff that he hit like Tiger freaking Woods. Kids these days.
    jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr Sat May 04, 2013 8:26 pm

Yep, he uses them. He picked up the game a few years ago when I did. Living/working in nyc, he doesn't get out much, but he does crush them! I'm willing to get him fitted, but he doesn't have time, focused on his job/career. He's happy playing them for the time being. Oh,, he does use my old Cally driver, but the 3W that came with the set is an absolute bomber. He can hit it 250 easy.
    It's nice to be young What a Face
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Sun May 05, 2013 8:42 am

Ain't it. I remember I gave my son a 3 wood that I had made when I snapped a Sanvik titanium driver shaft at the hosel and had a friend of mine who was a club pro put a component 15* head on it. I couldn't hit it worth squat but the youngster could pound it so well that I gave it to him.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Mon May 06, 2013 12:11 am

Some other clubs that have earned the right to be in this thread:

Wilson Invex driver. Terrible club. I bought it new back in '96 for around $239 and sold it two weeks later for something like $100.

Nicklaus N1 irons.
    What really bothered me about these is that the Nicklaus Corp bought out another brand that had the same model and all they did was change the name of the club. How lame is that?

Hogan H40 irons. The first cast Hogan iron were the shortest I'd ever hit. The 9 iron flew about 115 tops.

Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Mon May 06, 2013 10:46 am

John Daly used to crush his Invex driver. Your backswing probably wasn't long enough and you didn't have enough whiskey in your system. If you would have made these simple adjustments, it would have been a good stick for you.
    Big Dave
    Big Dave

Post  Big Dave Mon May 06, 2013 11:40 am

Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Mon May 06, 2013 11:57 am

Titleist 905T Driver.
    Titleist 905S driver.
    Titleist 907D1 driver.
    Titleist 907D2 driver.
    Titleist 904 fairway woods.
    Titleist CB irons.
    Titleist AP1 irons.
    Titleist AP2 irons.
    Titleist hybrids (any ever made).
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Mon May 06, 2013 12:25 pm

I liked the Titty 585H hybrid. I still have it in 19 degrees and would easily put it back in the bag if I took out the gap wedge.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Mon May 06, 2013 12:32 pm

Big Dave wrote:Two words. Power Pod.

https://i.servimg.com/u/f83/18/28/66/61/pod10.jpg

That's hysterical because right before I clicked back on this thread I was going to post that but I forget the name but remembered the manufacturer, Orizaba. One of the guys at a club I used to belong to in the '80's had one and he used to let us try it on the range. No one but him could hit it.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Mon May 06, 2013 8:58 pm

Easily the ones that produce the lowest scores. Hard to hit is no bueno.

I like eAsy but I prefer some feel.

SoonerBS
    SoonerBS

Post  SoonerBS Mon May 06, 2013 9:10 pm

I actually bought, and played, a a set of F2 irons for 3 months back in 2006. Both fugly and inefficient. OK, no one is beating that one.
    Big Dave
    Big Dave

Post  Big Dave Mon May 06, 2013 9:24 pm

SoonerBS wrote:I actually bought, and played, a a set of F2 irons for 3 months back in 2006. Both fugly and inefficient. OK, no one is beating that one.

aagh, the power pod, man, look at the POD... What a Face
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Tue May 07, 2013 1:36 pm

Unless and until you actually have a Power Pod in your grip and try to hit a teed ball with it, you really have no idea now atrocious it is.
    Poe4soul
    Poe4soul

Post  Poe4soul Tue May 07, 2013 6:40 pm

Horseballs wrote:I liked the Titty 585H hybrid. I still have it in 19 degrees and would easily put it back in the bag if I took out the gap wedge.

Ditto, at least until it slipped out of my hands in a practice swing into the middle of a pond. That said, I like my Cobra pro's better. Granted both were reshafted to a red board and a S300.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Wed May 08, 2013 12:06 am

SoonerBS wrote:I actually bought, and played, a a set of F2 irons for 3 months back in 2006. Both fugly and inefficient. OK, no one is beating that one.

Who makes F2 irons, Cobra?

Titleist clubs, generally speaking, have never seemed to work for me. The 975J was all the rage for a couple years and I couldn't hit the thing. I did like the 983e although it wasn't very forgiving. I tried the fairway woods that complimented the J and couldn't hit those either. Tried the AP2s and didn't like the look or feel.

The only Titleist clubs I liked were the original DCI black, 990 and 905R. I've heard good things about the 913 series.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Wed May 08, 2013 8:34 am

The 909 DComp has a real high MOI and launches fairly high with low spin. With the right shaft flex, weight and length, it is a point-and-shoot tool like Titleist has not produced before. Or after. If you need a straight-hitting backup just to stick in the closet until your tee game goes all crooked, you can pick them up real cheap.
    SoonerBS
    SoonerBS

Post  SoonerBS Wed May 08, 2013 1:51 pm

FamousDavis wrote:

Who makes F2 irons, Cobra?

Titleist clubs, generally speaking, have never seemed to work for me. The 975J was all the rage for a couple years and I couldn't hit the thing. I did like the 983e although it wasn't very forgiving. I tried the fairway woods that complimented the J and couldn't hit those either. Tried the AP2s and didn't like the look or feel.

The only Titleist clubs I liked were the original DCI black, 990 and 905R. I've heard good things about the 913 series.

F2 irons = Face Forward technology. The same company that makes the F2 wedges you see advertised on golf infomercials.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 3:32 pm