The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+3
Fluffy
Pky6471
jmtbkr
7 posters

Clubs in car in hot weather

jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Clubs in car in hot weather Empty Clubs in car in hot weather

Post  jmtbkr Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:58 am

Do you leave your clubs in the car when it's 90*+ ?
    I have a SUV with blacked out windows. Even if I open the windows to vent, it still gets hotter-than-hades in the car.
    SO i drag them into work along with my cooler full of water/gatoraide.

It can't be good for them to sit in a hot car all day. I fuigure the grips might twist ot the epoxy holding the heads on may soften.

Any thoughts?
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Clubs in car in hot weather Empty Re: Clubs in car in hot weather

Post  Pky6471 Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:16 am

jmtbkr wrote:Do you leave your clubs in the car when it's 90*+ ?
    I have a SUV with blacked out windows. Even if I open the windows to vent, it still gets hotter-than-hades in the car.

It can't be good for them to sit in a hot car all day. I fuigure the grips might twist ot the epoxy holding the heads on may soften.

Any thoughts?

Epoxy does not get softened until 300+F, I doubt if inside of our cars would get that hot
    As far as the grip, grip tape is double-faced PSA (pressure sensitive adhesive), solvent would soften it, heat alone probably won't.  PSA tape functions as a lubricant when you pour solvent on it to easily slide a new grip, just like U wear a condom Razz 

Once you take your clubs out of your car, PSA regains its strength very quickly... So, don't worry about your toys, worry about your scores bounce
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:21 am

Pky6471 wrote:

Any thoughts?

Epoxy does not get softened until 300+F, I doubt if inside of our cars would get that hot
    As far as the grip, grip tape is double-faced PSA (pressure sensitive adhesive), solvent would soften it, heat alone probably won't.  PSA tape functions as a lubricant when you pour solvent on it to easily slide a new grip, just like U wear a condom Razz 

Once you take your clubs out of your car, PSA regains its strength very quickly... So, don't worry about your toys, worry about your scores bounce
    weird condoms buddy
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:25 am

When I re-shaft my clubs that have graphite shafts, I use my wife's hair dryer instead of my propane torch. Sometimes it only takes 15-20 seconds on the highest setting of the hair dryer to get the epoxy to pop. Therefore, no way I'm leaving my clubs in the car when the temps are likely to be 75* F and above. Just cautious. Plus, high heat is not real good for your precious balls, either. Or those candy bars you forget you put in one of the pockets.
    BBQpig
    BBQpig

Post  BBQpig Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:55 am

It's a proven fact that you get longer distances with hot titanium, and above 100 degree balls, and the added bonus is the grips are real squishy, and much softer, kind of like a gummy gets in your pocket.
    I keep a rotation of sweaty underwear in a side pocket slightly unzipped, for air movement.
    Of course its to hot to wear socks, so the shoes develop essences of something decaying.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:00 am

Mongrel wrote:When I re-shaft my clubs that have graphite shafts, I use my wife's hair dryer instead of my propane torch. Sometimes it only takes 15-20 seconds on the highest setting of the hair dryer to get the epoxy to pop. Therefore, no way I'm leaving my clubs in the car when the temps are likely to be 75* F and above. Just cautious. Plus, high heat is not real good for your precious balls, either. Or those candy bars you forget you put in one of the pockets.

Mongrel... measure the exit temp of a hair dryer at highest setting, I bet it's pretty hot
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:25 am

I know. But I pay damn good money for my graphite shafts-- one-time pulls for $15/ea. -- so I want to take good care of them. By the way, I read once where Tiger used to have his driver heads treated cryogenically. Dipped in liquid nitrogen. Man, that's a cold dude.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:07 am

Mongrel wrote:I know. But I pay damn good money for my graphite shafts-- one-time pulls for $15/ea. -- so I want to take good care of them. By the way, I read once where Tiger used to have his driver heads treated cryogenically. Dipped in liquid nitrogen. Man, that's a cold dude.

I was at a local range yesterday and one guy lost his driver's head .We had to stop for him to run out in the field and search for his head. It's hard for me to imagine that epoxy would 'let go' like that. Perhaps he or someone who did the work for him did not do what the fukkkkk they are doing... I just can't believe if that club came from a factory. Correct 2-part mixing of epoxy yields very high modulus and high resistance to twisting
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:37 pm

Any thoughts?

Well, I used to have a girlfriend who I'd have stay in the car when I went inside a golf store. She wanted to join me but I thought it would ruin my mojo. When it comes to golf the traditionalist comes alive in me, including the old saying that women should be seen and not heard, from the rib of man, etc. As a result, the last thing I want when I'm doing my hustler routine on the dopey golf salesman is a woman throwing down judgement. Plus, I don't like to feel hurried.

My point? If my girlfriend survived 120 degree heat inside the car I'm sure your clubs will be fine. No, I didn't crack a window or leave the keys in there. Are you crazy? Next thing you know she'd be opening the trunk or sifting through my glove compartment. No thanks.
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:14 pm

FamousDavis wrote:

Any thoughts?

Well, I used to have a girlfriend who I'd have stay in the car when I went inside a golf store.  She wanted to join me but I thought it would ruin my mojo.  When it comes to golf the traditionalist comes alive in me, including the old saying that women should be seen and not heard, from the rib of man, etc.   As a result, the last thing I want when I'm doing my hustler routine on the dopey golf salesman is a woman throwing down judgement.  Plus, I don't like to feel hurried.  

My point?  If my girlfriend survived 120 degree heat inside the car I'm sure your clubs will be fine.  No, I didn't crack a window or leave the keys in there.  Are you crazy?  Next thing you know she'd be opening the trunk or sifting through my glove compartment.  No thanks.

Come on. How long did you leave her there? 20-30 mins? An hour tops? Your clubs are gonna be there 8-9 hours in the blistering heat. Not that if will affect my GFF, forged in the fires of Mt Fuji, but it could definitely affect the resin in my Driver, fairway woods etc.

No less an authority than GR Legend Dorkman53 educated me on this matter many years ago. Wink

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 8:13 pm