The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+5
Mongrel
Pky6471
FamousDavis
Player
Lord Helmet
9 posters

Forgive me Titleist, for I have sinned...

Lord Helmet
    Lord Helmet

Forgive me Titleist, for I have sinned... Empty Forgive me Titleist, for I have sinned...

Post  Lord Helmet Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:46 pm

And put away the 909d3 that treated me so well.

I have repented and have come back to you.

To prove my faithfulness, I have also ho'd a 910d2 with Diamana Kai'li.

So now I have 2 Titleist drivers that will never leave a spot in my bag. I will just play the d3 when my driver swing is dialed in, and the d2 when I am a little off.

Thank you for the forgiveness Titleist.

Best feeling drivers ever. By a long shot. Titleist.
    Player
    Player

Forgive me Titleist, for I have sinned... Empty Re: Forgive me Titleist, for I have sinned...

Post  Player Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:05 am

I have recently strayed, but I cant say I have any regrets yet. I am gaming a Cleveland Classic 310 tour, which is old school and probably as close to a titleist as you can get. I actually think my Cleveland is even more a purists club than current model tittys, which is why it appealed to me more than a 910 or 913. I will always have a soft spot for the classics like the 905 models, but for now Im very happy with my Cleveland.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Forgive me Titleist, for I have sinned... Empty Re: Forgive me Titleist, for I have sinned...

Post  FamousDavis Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:26 am

Player wrote:I have recently strayed, but I cant say I have any regrets yet. I am gaming a Cleveland Classic 310 tour, which is old school and probably as close to a titleist as you can get. I actually think my Cleveland is even more a purists club than current model tittys, which is why it appealed to me more than a 910 or 913. I will always have a soft spot for the classics like the 905 models, but for now Im very happy with my Cleveland.

I bought a Cleveland Classic 310 9.5 Driver with Miyazaki Kusula Black 61g Stiff shaft and put it into play for two rounds last weekend. I really wanted to like this driver but I didn't. For one thing, I thought I'd like the dark brown and brass colored paint on the head but when I got out on the course I didn't like it at all. The club had sort of a bulbous, beefy look to it that I didn't appreciate. Second, I think the shaft was a bit stout for me. I lost some distance. My Diablo Edge Tour driver with Aldila NV 75 Stiff performed much better.

Do you have the Cleveland 310 that came out before the Classics version (the one that is medium metallic grey all over)? I think that's a superior model.

3balls has the Cleveland Classic drivers on sale now for $63. That's an amazing price. The coupon code is "classic".
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:35 am

FamousDavis wrote:3balls has the Cleveland Classic drivers on sale now for $63. That's an amazing price. The coupon code is "classic".

For some reasons , Titless/Ping/Callaway/TM seem to hold resale values better than other brands
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:55 pm

I've been tempted to stray from Titleist drivers and have been half-heartedly looking at some of the older Taylors and Pings in the used sections. But then there's a real clean 909D3 in 10.5* with VooDoo stiff at the Golf Galaxy for $57 or so. Eh. So if my 909 DComp doesn't perform adequately this coming Saturday in the first club competitive round of the year, I may have to do something. I reshafted the damn DComp after my first round up north two weeks ago. Pulled the Matrix Xcon 6 stiff and put a Prolaunch Axis Blue regular in it. A local shop has loads of pulled shafts and sells all the graphite driver and fairway wood pulls for $15 each. Cheap thrills.
    Lord Helmet
    Lord Helmet

Post  Lord Helmet Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:50 pm

FamousDavis wrote:
    Player wrote:I have recently strayed, but I cant say I have any regrets yet. I am gaming a Cleveland Classic 310 tour, which is old school and probably as close to a titleist as you can get. I actually think my Cleveland is even more a purists club than current model tittys, which is why it appealed to me more than a 910 or 913. I will always have a soft spot for the classics like the 905 models, but for now Im very happy with my Cleveland.

I bought a Cleveland Classic 310 9.5 Driver with Miyazaki Kusula Black 61g Stiff shaft and put it into play for two rounds last weekend. I really wanted to like this driver but I didn't. For one thing, I thought I'd like the dark brown and brass colored paint on the head but when I got out on the course I didn't like it at all. The club had sort of a bulbous, beefy look to it that I didn't appreciate. Second, I think the shaft was a bit stout for me. I lost some distance. My Diablo Edge Tour driver with Aldila NV 75 Stiff performed much better.

Do you have the Cleveland 310 that came out before the Classics version (the one that is medium metallic grey all over)? I think that's a superior model.

3balls has the Cleveland Classic drivers on sale now for $63. That's an amazing price. The coupon code is "classic".

The DET driver is one of my faves in the Cally line. Had the Habanero shaft.
    Player
    Player

Post  Player Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:49 pm

FamousDavis wrote:

Mine is the mahogany/brass combo. I had the kusala blue stiff which I found a hair too floppy for me so I put a pershing 75 stiff in and it kills. I think the shaft issue is that the head is a .350 but the miyazakis are .335. Ive never been a fan of shimming shafts to fit larger hosels, no matter how well the work is done. The .350 Pershing feels much more stable for mine. The kuasala is a great shaft, but not in a .350 hosel imo.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:02 pm

Lord Helmet wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Callaway-RH-Diablo-Edge-Tour-Mens-Driver-9-5-Habanero-Tour-Graphite-Stiff-/350711262017?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash=item51a8052b41
    why DET driver pricing drops like hot potato?
    Lord Helmet
    Lord Helmet

Post  Lord Helmet Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:09 pm

Pky6471 wrote:
    Lord Helmet wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Callaway-RH-Diablo-Edge-Tour-Mens-Driver-9-5-Habanero-Tour-Graphite-Stiff-/350711262017?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash=item51a8052b41
    why DET driver pricing drops like hot potato?

Find me a lefty pk! lol They are cheap arent they? Cally has a new line each year, so their old stuff (2 seasons old) is dirt cheap!
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:31 pm

Lord Helmet wrote:Find me a lefty pk! lol They are cheap arent they? Cally has a new line each year, so their old stuff (2 seasons old) is dirt cheap!

How stiff is your shaft? I don't have SS to play stiff shaft (in theory) but I hit S-flex as good as R-flex,,, to me it's not about "flex", as long as same light wt I would prefer S-flex without losing any distance with added tight dispersion. I don't need another driver but if it's cheap and good maybe I should ho a stiff shaft to try out Razz
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:55 pm

Player wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:

Mine is the mahogany/brass combo. I had the kusala blue stiff which I found a hair too floppy for me so I put a pershing 75 stiff in and it kills. I think the shaft issue is that the head is a .350 but the miyazakis are .335. Ive never been a fan of shimming shafts to fit larger hosels, no matter how well the work is done. The .350 Pershing feels much more stable for mine. The kuasala is a great shaft, but not in a .350 hosel imo.

Isn't that the shaft that comes stock with the driver? Why would Cleveland mismatch the driver head/shaft combo?
    Lord Helmet
    Lord Helmet

Post  Lord Helmet Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:29 pm

Pky6471 wrote:
    Lord Helmet wrote:Find me a lefty pk! lol They are cheap arent they? Cally has a new line each year, so their old stuff (2 seasons old) is dirt cheap!

How stiff is your shaft? I don't have SS to play stiff shaft (in theory) but I hit S-flex as good as R-flex,,, to me it's not about "flex", as long as same light wt I would prefer S-flex without losing any distance with added tight dispersion. I don't need another driver but if it's cheap and good maybe I should ho a stiff shaft to try out Razz

I played an S flex (around a 60g shaft) in the Habanero, DET combo. 9.5. My SS was measured with that combo and it was right at or about 100mph. It was a solid solid combo. Crap, for under $50 you cannot go wrong. I am not a fan of Aldila shafts, but that combo set up and played well for me. Forgiving. Your welcome in advance pk! lol
    Player
    Player

Post  Player Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:53 am

Kiwigolfer wrote:
    Player wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:

Isn't that the shaft that comes stock with the driver? Why would Cleveland mismatch the driver head/shaft combo?
    Probably get a better deal on .335 shafts, and lots of shaft companies dont make .350s, so the oems just shim in a .335 and the buyer is usually none the wiser. Happens all the time. Fitters will tell you it wont affect performance, but I like the extra stability of the thicker tip so it matters to me.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:25 am

Lord Helmet wrote:

Find me a lefty pk! lol They are cheap arent they? Cally has a new line each year, so their old stuff (2 seasons old) is dirt cheap!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Callaway-LH-Diablo-Edge-Tour-Mens-Driver-9-5-Habanero-Tour-Graphite-Stiff-/350711262279?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash=item51a8052c47
    this LH driver is for U at $37.99... U should buy it just in case U hit hard and break your current driver Razz
    Lord Helmet
    Lord Helmet

Post  Lord Helmet Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:46 am

Pky6471 wrote:
    Lord Helmet wrote:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Callaway-LH-Diablo-Edge-Tour-Mens-Driver-9-5-Habanero-Tour-Graphite-Stiff-/350711262279?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash=item51a8052c47
    this LH driver is for U at $37.99... U should buy it just in case U hit hard and break your current driver Razz

Crap I just might - it really was a solid setup for me. I know that season when the planets aligned, had a tailwind, hit from an elevated tee, and caught a good bounce or 3, I hit a couple that measured 300 on GPS! I was stoked! Always fun to be 100yds out on a 400yd par 4!
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:59 am

The Cleveland Miyazaki shafts are .350" tips.
    Lord Helmet
    Lord Helmet

Post  Lord Helmet Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:35 am

Mostly German wrote:The Cleveland Miyazaki shafts are .350" tips.

Alot of the OEM "made for" types are of the .350 variety. According to a fitter I know - cheaper and not as good of quality as the .335 variety. Prolly why the OEM use it.

If I am not mistaken, the DET Aldila was a .350 but a true aftermarket Habanero was a .335 (I cant verify this but I seem to recall it).
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:33 pm

I thought Srixon, the company that owns Cleveland golf, had also acquired the Miyazaki shaft making company. So they should be able to make a shaft to fit their driver heads.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:03 pm

Lord Helmet wrote:

Alot of the OEM "made for" types are of the .350 variety. According to a fitter I know - cheaper and not as good of quality as the .335 variety. Prolly why the OEM use it.

If I am not mistaken, the DET Aldila was a .350 but a true aftermarket Habanero was a .335 (I cant verify this but I seem to recall it).

The Habenero is a relatively cheap shaft and according to specs, the stock OEM shafts are the same as the aftermarket ones that come in both tip diameters. Now I suspect that there may be differences in the Miyazakis like most all of the really premium shafts since you can buy a Cleveland driver so shafted for about $300 and the aftermarket shaft is that much or more.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:03 pm

Lord Helmet wrote:
    Pky6471 wrote:
    Lord Helmet wrote:

Crap I just might - it really was a solid setup for me. I know that season when the planets aligned, had a tailwind, hit from an elevated tee, and caught a good bounce or 3, I hit a couple that measured 300 on GPS! I was stoked! Always fun to be 100yds out on a 400yd par 4!

Damn U LH Razz , I broke down and ordered the same club that U have for $48 shipped...
    Lord Helmet
    Lord Helmet

Post  Lord Helmet Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:47 pm

Pky6471 wrote:
    Lord Helmet wrote:
    Pky6471 wrote:
    Lord Helmet wrote:

Damn U LH Razz , I broke down and ordered the same club that U have for $48 shipped...

LOL pk! You coming to Ohio this year? We can battle it out with the DET's!
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:55 pm

Speaking of switching from Titleist, Rory shot an even par round today for his opener at the Valero. Horray for Rory! He's not over par! He's got big names in front of him, though, like Brian Davis and Jason Gore. Those are marquee players. Forgive me Titleist, for I have sinned... Trampoline
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:10 pm

At least Rory doesn't have to win or finish in the top five to get into the Masters.
    Player
    Player

Post  Player Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:40 pm

Wrong. Absolutely 100% sure on this, they are .335. I have the shim to prove it. Whoever told you otherwise is mistaken. Even their website states that their shafts only come in .335. Having said that, mine had a genuine aftermarket upgraded shaft so there may be a chance the stocks are different, but Cleveland claims the shafts are legit aftermarket.

Last edited by Player on Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Player
    Player

Post  Player Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:44 pm

Lord Helmet wrote:

They can only put .350 shafts in .350 heads, and in my experience a lot of oem drivers come with .335 heads. I prefer the .350 shafts, more stable in the tip. Your fitter probably doesnt stock them and was blowing smoke up your ass.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:41 pm