The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+6
Fluffy
Player
Pky6471
Horseballs
Mongrel
jt1135
10 posters

What do ya'll wear on your feet?

jt1135
    jt1135

What do ya'll wear on your feet? Empty What do ya'll wear on your feet?

Post  jt1135 Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:43 am

Just ordered another pair of Nike's as I really liked my old pair. If I had known New Balance made shoes for the course I probably would have gotten a pair instead as they are the last U.S. made sneaker brand.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

What do ya'll wear on your feet? Empty Re: What do ya'll wear on your feet?

Post  Mongrel Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:56 am

Some kind of Footjoy that is black with plastic spikes. The thicker and more sturdy spikes, not the wimpy toy-like things that feel like fishing lures. They are pretty light. The reason I got them last year at the Golf Galaxy is that they were on sale for under sixty bucks and were the only ones in the store that came in a wide width which is an absolute must for me. I played them one season and the spikes seem to be worn down a bit. Man do I miss the old days of real spikes when you'd go into a shop and buy a bag of new metal spikes and change them out for a couple of bucks.

I'd prefer spikeless shoes but no one has them in stock in wide widths and the last thing I'm gonna do is buy a pair of f*cking shoes online without trying them on.
    jt1135
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:01 am

Mostly German wrote:Some kind of Footjoy that is black with plastic spikes. The thicker and more sturdy spikes, not the wimpy toy-like things that feel like fishing lures. They are pretty light. The reason I got them last year at the Golf Galaxy is that they were on sale for under sixty bucks and were the only ones in the store that came in a wide width which is an absolute must for me. I played them one season and the spikes seem to be worn down a bit. Man do I miss the old days of real spikes when you'd go into a shop and buy a bag of new metal spikes and change them out for a couple of bucks.

I'd prefer spikeless shoes but no one has them in stock in wide widths and the last thing I'm gonna do is buy a pair of f*cking shoes online without trying them on.

I hear ya about ordering shoes without trying them on. Yesterday I went into one of our upper Midwest sports stores and tried on a pair of Nike Lunar controls. They wanted 199, which I wasn't going to spend, so went online and ordered a pair of year olds brand new for 78.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:10 am

When I was shopping last spring, there were some Nike Lunar something or others that looked interesting but nothing with wide toe boxes. They weren't spikeless but had the spikes built into the soles which was cool. Then there were loads of Addidas spikeless but those things were all narrow. Really narrow like women's shoes. Doesn't anyone make real shoes for real European-Americans with real m*therf*cking big feet? Damn.
    jt1135
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:14 am

Just another example of everybody catering to the new immigrants. Laughing
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:44 am

I've got a bunch of golf shoes, but I primarily wear Ecco Bioms. The best shoe ever created by humans. I've got an all black pair and an all white pair.
    I also have a pimped out set of FJ Icons that I rarely wear, because they are too nice.
    And an older pair of Nike TW's that I wear when conditions are sloppy.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:18 pm

jt1135 wrote:Just another example of everybody catering to the new immigrants. Laughing

I buy good shoes cheap at the end of season, most are FJ, some Nike ,,, last pair is adidas Men's Powerband 4.0 Golf Shoes , really really comfortable
    Player
    Player

Post  Player Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:23 pm

I usually wear a high quality microfibre shoe for the lighter weight and lack of stretching (I like to buy a hoe that fits perfectly first time and doesn't change shape over time).

One thing that realy bugs me about shoes is the soft spike revolution. I have soft spike cause you just can't buy metal spike golf shoes any more and most clubs won't allow them, but IMO there is a big drop in performance with soft spikes compared to metal. If you are a decent player who generates some significant force during the swing, you need some real grip to the earth theough your shoes, and only metal spikes can get the job done. If you ever pay attention to tour players, you will see plenty of them still have metal spikes (including Tiger). Now for the average weekend chopper I don't think it makes any difference so soft spikes may be a good idea for the masses, but I think metal spikes still should be an option for players like myself. Maybe make a rule that they are exclusively for players only, and to buy them you need to produce proof that you can break 80 regularly. I know that I was a better ball striker when I could feel my feet grip the ground, now it's a bit of a crap shoot, especially off the tee. If you generate 100 plus mph swing speed and your front foot slips during the down swing you can forget about hitting the fairway.
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:19 am

Anything in a size 13UK..... I can walk into any of the 3 golf shops here in my town and I wont get a pair that fit.... My current shoes looks around 10years old and Ive only had them for 8 months.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:20 am

Player wrote:I usually wear a high quality microfibre shoe for the lighter weight and lack of stretching (I like to buy a hoe that fits perfectly first time and doesn't change shape over time).

One thing that realy bugs me about shoes is the soft spike revolution. I have soft spike cause you just can't buy metal spike golf shoes any more and most clubs won't allow them, but IMO there is a big drop in performance with soft spikes compared to metal. If you are a decent player who generates some significant force during the swing, you need some real grip to the earth theough your shoes, and only metal spikes can get the job done. If you ever pay attention to tour players, you will see plenty of them still have metal spikes (including Tiger). Now for the average weekend chopper I don't think it makes any difference so soft spikes may be a good idea for the masses, but I think metal spikes still should be an option for players like myself. Maybe make a rule that they are exclusively for players only, and to buy them you need to produce proof that you can break 80 regularly. I know that I was a better ball striker when I could feel my feet grip the ground, now it's a bit of a crap shoot, especially off the tee. If you generate 100 plus mph swing speed and your front foot slips during the down swing you can forget about hitting the fairway.

This was the case for me. Prior to the early summer of 1994 when all the courses in my area went to all soft spkes, I had a fairly powerful leg drive and could hit routine 180 yard bullets and 230 yard 3 irons with my Palmer Standard blades. After the mandatory switch to the plastic toy spikes, all that was gone and I never really recovered that iron mojo. I think that the move changed swing fundamentals for at least one generation of players and probably led to the advent of more graphite and ultra light steel iron shafts to make up for the lost power of the steel spike leg drive. At least I haven't fallen on my ass on locker room tile floors since then.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:47 am

I'm surprised Birkenstock hasn't come out with a golf shoe. If they did, you'd get a lot more people from Oregon playing golf.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:53 am

There'd be a lot of "Fore left!"'s with those since the heels are lower than the front. Aren't they?
    jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:53 am

I'm stylin' in the new FJ project M's with cleats. you can remove the cleats and still have the nubs on the bottom.

I would say that from my observations this past week that more than half the field was playing in spikeless shoes, like the Freddie Couples shoe. Even Tiger wears spikeless.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:54 am

Probably why all four of his rounds were in the 70's.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:49 pm

I see that the trend is going to spikeless as well. Not for me. I won't buy shoes unless they have 4 spikes on the heel and 10 spikes total.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:39 pm

I don't understand the new trend of hyper-expensive shoes that look like something you should be wearing at the yacht club. For the most part, the "sneaker" look first offered by Ecco and now offered by Footjoy, Ashworth and now Nike, is pretty silly looking with golf slacks or shorts. I guess they are more comfortable but they certainly don't look like they'd perform well on wet grass or slick areas on the course.

Plus, it seems like a trendy thing to do and I've never been one to jump on the bandwagon when it comes to peer pressure at the club. I played at a buddy's CC the other day and it seemed like all of the guys there had their Ecco boat shoes. Talk about living the life of a "wanna be". I've belonged to three CC's in my life and distinctly remember the fashion trends and the desire of many of the members to be one of the gang. The sad part of this is that nobody cares what you are wearing on your feet. What they care about is if you are a fun person to play with and care about the game of golf.

I'm a good player and need the stability and athletic design of a Footjoy Sport or Dryjoy. Sure, I may not be wearing the latest in designer footwear fashion but, then again, we're not supposed to be acting like a bunch of chicks.
    Poe4soul
    Poe4soul

Post  Poe4soul Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:04 pm

I have a few different makes and styles of shoes. Because I play in Portland Oregon, all of my shoes are water proof. Currently, in the winter I play in a pair of dark brown ecco's. They are easy to clean up and don't look like shiat when they are covered in mud. I also own a pair of all black FJ's that I use on occasions that require more of a dress shoe. For practice and casual rounds I've been using a pair of True Links. They are spikeless, a zero drop heel, and very comfortable. But if I'm playing in wet conditions it's spikes.

I, too, am not a fan of the tennis shoe style golf shoe. It just doesn't look right. Maybe this is from the old days of metal spike shoes.

BTW - Tiger switched to soft spikes to protect his knee. I get he would still play metal spikes if he could.
    rooteen
    rooteen

Post  rooteen Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:58 am

Poe4soul wrote:

BTW - Tiger switched to soft spikes to protect his knee. I get he would still play metal spikes if he could.

Last couple of tourneys Tiger has played in they showed him walking on some paths from green to tee and to the scorers hut, and the sound his shoes make he is definitely wearing metal spikes in those oversized looking boots.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content