The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+3
Fluffy
Mongrel
FamousDavis
7 posters

The Hobbit

FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

The Hobbit Empty The Hobbit

Post  FamousDavis Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:19 pm

This movie was horrible. The actor who played Bilbo Baggins was bad and unlikeable. I felt like this movie was 45 minutes too long and was basically exactly like the three Lord of the Rings movies. A bunch of Dwarfs, Hobbits, Orks, etc. The good guys are on a quest to go back to the dark mountain and are constantly running away from Orks and somehow manage to fight thousands of them off. The heroes can fall down mountains, bounce off rocks and never get hurt. Then, there is the scene with Gollum that goes on WAY too long. We already know the story of how the ring was found and didn't need to go through the entire thing again.

What's stupid about the movie is the fact that they never dive into how the ring was found by Gollum and how it slowly turned him insane. They briefly touch on it in one of the Lord of the Rings movies but it's very brief. This, in my mind, should be the key focus of the movie as it is in the book. I read The Hobbit in 5th grade so it's been awhile.

Anyway, I was very disappointed because I really thought this movie would be less about fighting sequences and more about good vs. evil and the whole idea behind the ring. It could have been so much better.

I give it two thumbs down with a swish.

PS - I hate movies in 3D. I will never pay extra to see one again.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

The Hobbit Empty Re: The Hobbit

Post  Mongrel Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:25 pm

Hobbit: leave skin on.. breast up.. baste with butter and garlic.. bake at 350* for 28 minutes per pound ..slice on the diagonal as you would for a London Broil. Please note that these are rare and the younger the animal, the more tender. And expensive.

Bon appetit
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:02 am

I would never call it a good movie. But I liked it for the fact that it was 45minutes to long and that they went into alot broader detail about all the other stuff that was happening during the lord of the rings... Its just a good reminder. I hear there is a 2nd one coming out....
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:31 am

I hated the LOTR series and The Hobbit looks even worse. Drawn out self indulgent nonsense from 'Sir' Peter Jackass. What a tosser. He may be a master of fancy special effects but his story telling is about as riveting as a Tiger Woods press conference. I made the mistake of suffering through three drawn out LOTR movies. I won't be making that mistake with The Hobbit.

I bet he could have made the book into one two hour movie. Instead we get nine hours of tedium over three movies. No thanks! Sleep
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:14 am

Still LOTR is alot better then Harry Potter....

There's always someone who likes it in the family,....
    Boom

Post  Boom Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:34 pm

I'll admit to being a LOTR Fanboy. I actually prefer the nearly 4-hour extended versions on Blu-Ray now.

But I'm a weird cat... I've pretty much hated every under 2 hour Hollywood "formula" movie since Top Gun (big name bad actor, unknown hottie actress who opens mouth for tongue of big name bad actor, atrocious script, lot's of contrived action, best friend dies, trendy music.... makes a ton of money with NO effort of the movie studio).

There was a time when the educated willingly sat through 3+ hour Mozart operas (usually not in their native language). Now unless something doesn't completely excite you for 95% of a 90 minute ADD neurotic edit fest... we consider it a bad movie.

Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:41 pm

I consumed my share of Hobbit and LOTR Trilogy the old fashioned way. By reading the f*cking books. In 1971. All that's old is new again.

By the way, one of Tolkien's grandsons is a spiffy writer of fiction and his new "Orders From Berlin" is a damn good work set in Berlin at the height of the Reich. The lad knows a bit about spycraft.
    Boom

Post  Boom Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:11 pm

Mostly German wrote:I consumed my share of Hobbit and LOTR Trilogy the old fashioned way. By reading the f*cking books. In 1971. All that's old is new again.

By the way, one of Tolkien's grandsons is a spiffy writer of fiction and his new "Orders From Berlin" is a damn good work set in Berlin at the height of the Reich. The lad knows a bit about spycraft.

I read the books first too... unlike with the bizarre and altered screenplays of everything from Philip Dick to Stephen King to Dan Brown, I thought the LOTR filmmakers did as decent a job they could (hence the 3+ hours lengths). There was very little in 11+ hours of cinema that made me think "where the hell did THAT come from?"

The symbology of World War in LOTR is certainly something lost on many who watch it... not realizing The Shire reflects an isolated pleasant hometown where it's inhabitants (The Hobbits) get taken to foreign lands and War. Ken Burns "The War" documentary subconsciously does the same, profiling Shire-like small American towns and profiles of their people taken away to war.

jt1135
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:15 pm

Tried reading it back in the 70's and didn't get a quarter way thru the first one. I really like sci-fi but this didn't get my interest going one bit.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:30 pm

jt1135 wrote:Tried reading it back in the 70's and didn't get a quarter way thru the first one. I really like sci-fi but this didn't get my interest going one bit.

One of my friends had just finished the book and said that I'd probably like it. We were both tripping on acid at the time so I started to read the book. It was difficult at first because the letters kept changing sizes. It was like a sentence would start at 9 points and the fourth word in the sentence would suddenly bloom to 28 points and the next word would go back down to 9. The recollection is a bit fuzzy after 42 or so years but I think I finished that book before the effects of the LSD wore off. In the next several months, I'd packed the Trilogy in my kit bag and read them all in and around various countries fronting on the Pacific Ocean and its tributaries.
    jt1135
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:50 am

Mostly German wrote:
    jt1135 wrote:Tried reading it back in the 70's and didn't get a quarter way thru the first one. I really like sci-fi but this didn't get my interest going one bit.

One of my friends had just finished the book and said that I'd probably like it. We were both tripping on acid at the time so I started to read the book. It was difficult at first because the letters kept changing sizes. It was like a sentence would start at 9 points and the fourth word in the sentence would suddenly bloom to 28 points and the next word would go back down to 9. The recollection is a bit fuzzy after 42 or so years but I think I finished that book before the effects of the LSD wore off. In the next several months, I'd packed the Trilogy in my kit bag and read them all in and around various countries fronting on the Pacific Ocean and its tributaries.

Damn, if it took that long to read the trilogy, the hell with it. Seriously, if a book gets my attention I can rattle off 3-4 hundred pages in a day. If it is slow and kind of sucks. Fagetaboutit.
    jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:35 pm

Mostly German wrote:

I just spit my coffee on my monitor!!! What a Face What a Face

Been there, done that! HAhahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahah! affraid
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:55 am

Question: Bilbo Baggins lives in a Hobbit village that's basically green hills, a few chickens and some ponies. Are there other Hobbit villages that mill lumber and manufacture all of the nice items found in his Hobbit Hut? Sort of a Detroit amongst the Hobbits? Something isn't adding up here.
    jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:23 am

FamousDavis wrote:

Question: Bilbo Baggins lives in a Hobbit village that's basically green hills, a few chickens and some ponies. Are there other Hobbit villages that mill lumber and manufacture all of the nice items found in his Hobbit Hut? Sort of a Detroit amongst the Hobbits? Something isn't adding up here.

Silly boy, you don't understand fantasy....

It was just always there...always... cat

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 5:12 am