The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

5 posters

Proper Club Length for a Certain Height

Pky6471
    Pky6471

Proper Club Length for a Certain Height Empty Proper Club Length for a Certain Height

Post  Pky6471 Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:01 am

http://www.golf-components.com/custom-golf-club-fitting.html

I am 5'6" and shrinking to 5'5.5"... Sh$$$t... playing standard length club, in fact my driver is 45.5"-45.75" as measured by the USGA protocol. Am I doing it all wrong? Suggestions/thoughts from you guys/ girls/ AC-DC? Should I give up the golf game and buy myself a 24-ft yacht for Chesapeake bay ?
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Proper Club Length for a Certain Height Empty Re: Proper Club Length for a Certain Height

Post  Mongrel Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:43 pm

Pky6471 wrote:http://www.golf-components.com/custom-golf-club-fitting.html

I am 5'6" and shrinking to 5'5.5"... Sh$$$t... playing standard length club, in fact my driver is 45.5"-45.75" as measured by the USGA protocol. Am I doing it all wrong? Suggestions/thoughts from you guys/ girls/ AC-DC? Should I give up the golf game and buy myself a 24-ft yacht for Chesapeake bay ?

I've sailed the Chesapeake Bay in vessels ranging from 16 to 55 feet. The Bay is pretty benign but I hate nothing more than the typical summer wind-less day where your sails are just hanging there, it's 91 degrees Fahrenheit and the humidity is 98 per cent so it feels like 105. So I'd prefer to have a nice reliable small diesel motor that will move the ragboat at least 8-10 knots.

No matter how short or tall you are, club lengths are a matter of your individual build, athletic abilites and preferences. As a rule of thumb, I think I can safely state that the flatter you swing, the longer the clubs you can use. For myself, I will play clubs that I can swing with the most speed most consistently while hitting the center of the clubface reliably. I stand about 6 feet, weigh about 195 and have relatively broad shoulders and legs that are on the short side with a 30" inseam and a sleeve length of 36". Sort of a semi-knuckle-dragger. Through lots of trial and error, I believe that my optimum driver length is around 44.5" although I would like to experiment with a super-ultra-light driver shaft and try it longer. I've tried irons up to an inch longer than spec but ended up trimming their butts to a quarter inch over factory spec. These were Mizunos and there is considerable concensus that Mizuno's published standard specs for club lengths which have traditionally have been a quarter of an inch shorter than everyone else's, are stated without the grips which typically add a quarter inch to playing length. So the Mizuno stock 5 iron spec of 37.75" plays at 38" with grip installed. Just like all the rest of them. Then there is the relationship between length and lie angle with means about nothing with a club you hit off the tee but quite a bit with turf clubs. But that's another whole chapter and I'm sort of burned out on lie angle. I just got this set of Cobra FP's with Aldila graphite shafts and they are all about 1/2" over standard spec. Since they came with the original grips which are worn and bit and I don't like them anyway, I will probably start chopping their butts off a bit since their lies are more upright than I am used to and they are cast stainless so they won't bend like those Grain Flow Forged heads from you-know-where.

The first big tourney next year for all the event winners of 2012 of which I am one is in mid-April at Pilgrim's Oak. It is a Stableford event and I've already started getting my shit together for it. Equipment, swing, strategy--the entire nine yards.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Proper Club Length for a Certain Height Empty Re: Proper Club Length for a Certain Height

Post  Pky6471 Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:53 pm

Mostly German wrote:.The first big tourney next year for all the event winners of 2012 of which I am one is in mid-April at Pilgrim's Oak. It is a Stableford event and I've already started getting my shit together for it. Equipment, swing, strategy--the entire nine yards.

U and your club members should play at the White Clay Creek instead, trust me , that would differentiate boys and men , including AC-DC Razz Razz Razz
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Proper Club Length for a Certain Height Empty Diversity and Inclusion exists in Golf!

Post  FamousDavis Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:06 pm

I believe everyone should have access to golf. Just look at this guy. I don't see him whining about club length.

http://www.mrbojumbles.com/quirky/%E2%80%98martin-kaymer-%E2%80%93-is-he-the-hot-one%E2%80%99/

Attachments
    Proper Club Length for a Certain Height Attachmentz small golf.jpg
    You don't have permission to download attachments.
    (26 Kb) Downloaded 0 times
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:15 pm

FamousDavis wrote:I believe everyone should have access to golf. Just look at this guy. I don't see him whining about club length.

http://www.mrbojumbles.com/quirky/%E2%80%98martin-kaymer-%E2%80%93-is-he-the-hot-one%E2%80%99/

That's not a shark. That's a minnow. And that putter is anchored. Illegal. And those sandals? Atrocious. Randy Newman was right.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:27 pm

Mostly German wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:I believe everyone should have access to golf. Just look at this guy. I don't see him whining about club length.

That's not a shark. That's a minnow. And that putter is anchored. Illegal. And those sandals? Atrocious. Randy Newman was right.

Yes, but just think of how short a putt it must be to be considered "in the leather".

As far as the outfit, it's certainly no worse than what Sooner wore in his first match with Big Dave.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:34 pm

sh$$$t... in about 20 yrs I would shrink to his size, if I live that long Razz
    Poe4soul
    Poe4soul

Post  Poe4soul Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:41 pm

Pky6471 wrote:

Nothing a little blue pill won't cure.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:15 pm

Poe4soul wrote:
    Pky6471 wrote:

Nothing a little blue pill won't cure.

Or a small catapult.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:36 pm

Poe4soul wrote:Nothing a little blue pill won't cure.

My Bro-in-law is a doctor and my closest friend is a pharmacist so I could have them for free, but I have not tried any yet... I am afraid of having a hard-on that last 4 hrs Evil or Very Mad
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:49 am

Pky6471 wrote:
    Poe4soul wrote:Nothing a little blue pill won't cure.

My Bro-in-law is a doctor and my closest friend is a pharmacist so I could have them for free, but I have not tried any yet... I am afraid of having a hard-on that last 4 hrs Evil or Very Mad

Dont be scared off longer clubs. When I first hit a driver at 47inches my tempo had never felt better.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 1:50 am