The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

5 posters

Long drive championship

jt1135
    jt1135

Long drive championship Empty Long drive championship

Post  jt1135 Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:39 pm

Flipping thru the channels and found the LD championship. ALL of the guys are playing at least 3x and 4x. So much for larry's whippy tempmaster. Guy just smoked one 393. Krank Rage head. Damn them guys can hit it.
    jt1135
    jt1135

Long drive championship Empty Re: Long drive championship

Post  jt1135 Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:43 pm

Club speeds about 147 and ball speed over 200.
    Olderplayer
    Olderplayer

Post  Olderplayer Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:01 pm

I saw that event and saw how fickle it can be. Sometimes the guys under pressure could just not put it on the grid. Not to mention the problems they had when the wind got up. Jamie Sadilowski got beaten in the semi which was a surprise.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:15 am

Olderplayer wrote:I saw that event and saw how fickle it can be. Sometimes the guys under pressure could just not put it on the grid. Not to mention the problems they had when the wind got up. Jamie Sadilowski got beaten in the semi which was a surprise.

What I've never understood is why they hold the long driving championship in Mesquite, NV. It's always windy there. Considering the fact that the sole purpose is to hit long drives and the one thing you don't want, for fairness, is high winds, why would they keep holding it there? I would imagine the winds can shift throughout the day, meaning some players get winds at their back and others get side winds or ones that are head on. Question Question
    Olderplayer
    Olderplayer

Post  Olderplayer Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:00 am

FamousDavis wrote:
    Olderplayer wrote:I saw that event and saw how fickle it can be. Sometimes the guys under pressure could just not put it on the grid. Not to mention the problems they had when the wind got up. Jamie Sadilowski got beaten in the semi which was a surprise.

What I've never understood is why they hold the long driving championship in Mesquite, NV. It's always windy there. Considering the fact that the sole purpose is to hit long drives and the one thing you don't want, for fairness, is high winds, why would they keep holding it there? I would imagine the winds can shift throughout the day, meaning some players get winds at their back and others get side winds or ones that are head on. Question Question
    Correct. In the qualifiers with a helpful breeze they were getting it out to 400. Later that day when the wind switched some were only managing 330.
    rooteen
    rooteen

Post  rooteen Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:05 am

Seen that event too. Wouldn't want a house on the right hand side of the grid about 360 yards away. Interesting how most of the finalists preferred shot shape was a fade. I suppose a fade is easier to keep on the grid. Think only Sadlowski went with a draw.
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:50 am

Got a krank 5 degree xxx-stiff tipped to the max Low Trajectory house of forged shaft to bring the ballflight lower...Shorter then standard but lengthened at the butt again to 47inches.

You dont need that high swing speeds to hit those clubs... I was playing Sunday, again, and the driver was warm for a change. I was launching the 5degree a little higher with a lot better ball flight(less spin),but was hitting the club a little above the sweetspot. This is my playing driver so I keep the swingspeed to normal at around 124mph. Driving into the wind easily around 280meters consistent. I actually hit one on a par5 with this driver 341meters exactly in the middel of the fairway.....just to find my ball in a stream crossing the fairway...

These clubs dont hit further neccasarily... but I would say they are alot more consistent with spin rates and the 2inches longer shafts fits my tempo a whole lot better.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:33 pm

I think it would be cool if they had a shortest drive championship. It could be held in someone's back yard. The rules would be a full back swing with a driver that is no shorter than 46 inches with an "A" or senior flex designation in the shaft. Nothing smaller than 460cc and nothing less than the maximum allowable C.O.R. The key would be completing the full back swing and then coming into the ball very slowly without losing your concentration. It might be more difficult than one would imagine. Of course, you'd need to keep the ball from going OB, which in this case shouldn't be too much of a problem.
    Olderplayer
    Olderplayer

Post  Olderplayer Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:16 pm

FamousDavis wrote:I think it would be cool if they had a shortest drive championship. It could be held in someone's back yard. The rules would be a full back swing with a driver that is no shorter than 46 inches with an "A" or senior flex designation in the shaft. Nothing smaller than 460cc and nothing less than the maximum allowable C.O.R. The key would be completing the full back swing and then coming into the ball very slowly without losing your concentration. It might be more difficult than one would imagine. Of course, you'd need to keep the ball from going OB, which in this case shouldn't be too much of a problem.
    Now you are getting just plain silly FD. What sort of example is this for a moderator? No
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:01 am

Olderplayer wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:I think it would be cool if they had a shortest drive championship. It could be held in someone's back yard. The rules would be a full back swing with a driver that is no shorter than 46 inches with an "A" or senior flex designation in the shaft. Nothing smaller than 460cc and nothing less than the maximum allowable C.O.R. The key would be completing the full back swing and then coming into the ball very slowly without losing your concentration. It might be more difficult than one would imagine. Of course, you'd need to keep the ball from going OB, which in this case shouldn't be too much of a problem.
    Now you are getting just plain silly FD. What sort of example is this for a moderator? No

Quite honestly, I'd probably find it more entertaining than the ReMax Long Drive challenge. When I first watched it I thought I'd really get into it but to me it makes no sense. Windy conditions, they only get 3 or 5 balls to hit and most of the swings, with the exception of Jamie Sadlowski, are pretty bad.

Interesting note. I have a buddy who has done quite well for himself who belongs to a prestigious club in Scottsdale where Sadlowski is also a member. My buddy got a chance to watch him on the range. He can hit a 7 iron 280 yards. My friend said it was the most amazing thing he'd ever seen in golf. He said the height of his drives was something he'd never seen before. What's most amazing is that he's about 5-10 or 5-11, very fit but not overly big at all.

BTW, I know the golf discussion folder says "moderator" on it but I can't seem to find a way to take that off. I really don't moderate anything other than moving some threads around to the proper folders and that's an Administrator task.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 4:00 am