The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

3 posters

Hit new irons today

jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Hit new irons today Empty Hit new irons today

Post  jmtbkr Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:33 pm

I was in my local store today, hitting a set of i20's vs Ansers. Both really nice and soft. I remember someone at GR telling me the i20's were a similar head to the s56 and anser. What I did notice was the i20 was smaller overall in size than the other two. But they felt as good, if not a bit better.

I happened to walk over to the used rack and there was a set of, I think, MP63's for $195. I hit these and now my opinion has changed to, "I think I want Mizuno's". WOW! I couldn't believe the difference. I was killing the 7 iron. Every shot was grouped within 5 yds. Amazing! Going to go back tomorow and hit them again, and to double check the modle number.
    I wanted to get an opinion from you folks on these. Should I spend the scratch or hold out for a different set/model. These are forged or MB's? Not entirely sure about construction. They look alot like my cl\\Cleveland wedges, you know, solid body. Not cavity backed at all.
    Man, I like those clubs. Felt like butter on every V1 ball I hit.

I'm hitting in the low 80's this week consistantly. Could probably break 80 if my putting was a bit better.

Opinions please will be taken very seriously!
    Thanks all

BTW....upper 70's to low80's all week in Palm Beach Gardens.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Hit new irons today Empty Re: Hit new irons today

Post  Mongrel Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:36 pm

jmtbkr wrote:I was in my local store today, hitting a set of i20's vs Ansers. Both really nice and soft. I remember someone at GR telling me the i20's were a similar head to the s56 and anser. What I did notice was the i20 was smaller overall in size than the other two. But they felt as good, if not a bit better.

I happened to walk over to the used rack and there was a set of, I think, MP63's for $195. I hit these and now my opinion has changed to, "I think I want Mizuno's". WOW! I couldn't believe the difference. I was killing the 7 iron. Every shot was grouped within 5 yds. Amazing! Going to go back tomorow and hit them again, and to double check the modle number.
    I wanted to get an opinion from you folks on these. Should I spend the scratch or hold out for a different set/model. These are forged or MB's? Not entirely sure about construction. They look alot like my cl\\Cleveland wedges, you know, solid body. Not cavity backed at all.

I'm hitting in the low 80's this week consistantly. Could probably break 80 if my putting was a bit better.

Thanks all

MP 63's for $195? If it were FD, he would have already turned them over for enough profit to buy two more sets. Damn the Florida economy must be bad. I'm going down in early February and I can't wait. This sleet, slush, wind-chill just sucks major league.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:44 pm

Mostly German wrote:
    jmtbkr wrote:I was in my local store today, hitting a set of i20's vs Ansers. Both really nice and soft. I remember someone at GR telling me the i20's were a similar head to the s56 and anser. What I did notice was the i20 was smaller overall in size than the other two. But they felt as good, if not a bit better.

Thanks all

MP 63's for $195? If it were FD, he would have already turned them over for enough profit to buy two more sets. Damn the Florida economy must be bad. I'm going down in early February and I can't wait. This sleet, slush, wind-chill just sucks major league.

I can't imagine a golf store selling MP-63 irons for $195. That simply doesn't make sense. Perhaps jmtbkr has failed to provide some valuable information. Is an iron missing from the set? Do they have a bunch of rock gouges? Are they only 20 inches long? Who knows?

I suspect that the clubs are actually not the MP-63 model but rather the MP-57's or maybe the MP-60s. I myself was not impressed with the MP-60s.

Here's the deal: Every single time I've demoed a Mizuno blade or MP cavity back in the simulator it outperformed everything else. I hit them fantastic off of a mat at the range or indoors. But, when I play a golf course with uneven lies, tall grass, etc. I would get harsh feedback from the club and have trouble hitting the flush shot.

The exception to this is the MP-32 iron. I have now played them for 5 or 6 rounds and love them. On Friday I had a 185 yard shot to a long Par 4. I pulled out the 4 iron and hit one of the best feeling shots that I've hit all year. The ball ended up 15 feet from the hole and I birdied it. On another hole, a 175 yard par 3, I hit 5 iron to about 20 feet. The heavier head keeps the club on plane and slows my swing down. Distance is great.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:56 pm

FamousDavis wrote:
    Mostly German wrote:

Thanks all

I can't imagine a golf store selling MP-63 irons for $195. That simply doesn't make sense. Perhaps jmtbkr has failed to provide some valuable information. Is an iron missing from the set? Do they have a bunch of rock gouges? Are they only 20 inches long? Who knows?

I suspect that the clubs are actually not the MP-63 model but rather the MP-57's or maybe the MP-60s. I myself was not impressed with the MP-60s.

Here's the deal: Every single time I've demoed a Mizuno blade or MP cavity back in the simulator it outperformed everything else. I hit them fantastic off of a mat at the range or indoors. But, when I play a golf course with uneven lies, tall grass, etc. I would get harsh feedback from the club and have trouble hitting the flush shot.

The exception to this is the MP-32 iron. I have now played them for 5 or 6 rounds and love them. On Friday I had a 185 yard shot to a long Par 4. I pulled out the 4 iron and hit one of the best feeling shots that I've hit all year. The ball ended up 15 feet from the hole and I birdied it. On another hole, a 175 yard par 3, I hit 5 iron to about 20 feet. The heavier head keeps the club on plane and slows my swing down. Distance is great.

Even if the shafts were 20", a decent set of MP 63 heads would sell for $200 or more on Ebay. I hated the MP 60's I hit at the stores but the one set of 57's I hit felt very nice. That was probably due to the Nippon regular flex shafts they had in them.
    jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:39 pm

OK.....they were MP63's.
    Just went back to check them out closely. Beat to $hit! The set was 3-PW. All the faces were trashed to the bare metal. The finish was gone on the hitting surface. The grooves were ok. Looks like someone played the crap out of them every day for 3 years. I asked the guy to throw one on the buffer. Could not bring back the shine to the face.

Oh....they were $150 with new Golf Pride grips. And steel shafts.

Oh boy, do they feel great!!

Should I or should I pass??
    jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:42 pm

Or should I consider the i20's???
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:49 pm

jmtbkr wrote:OK.....they were MP63's.
    Just went back to check them out closely. Beat to $hit! The set was 3-PW. All the faces were trashed to the bare metal. The finish was gone on the hitting surface. The grooves were ok. Looks like someone played the crap out of them every day for 3 years. I asked the guy to throw one on the buffer. Could not bring back the shine to the face.

Buy them ASAP. Who needs the fooking chrome? What do you think it is? A car bumper? A secret benefit of having the chrome worn off the faces is that you get more spin so you can impress your playing partners when you nail that 7 iron flying it directly over the pin and then sucking the ball back 20 feet leaving you a kick-in just below the hole. An obvious benefit is that you'll lose the sun glare off the faces. So there's a small price to pay for getting such as deal. You should clean the faces with steel wool or a Brillo pad after each session and then apply some very light machine oil ( 3 in 1 is cool ) with a soft cloth to keep the rust out. Just like you would do with your older firearms.
    jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:08 pm

Mostly German wrote:
    jmtbkr wrote:OK.....they were MP63's.

Buy them ASAP. Who needs the fooking chrome? What do you think it is? A car bumper? A secret benefit of having the chrome worn off the faces is that you get more spin so you can impress your playing partners when you nail that 7 iron flying it directly over the pin and then sucking the ball back 20 feet leaving you a kick-in just below the hole. An obvious benefit is that you'll lose the sun glare off the faces. So there's a small price to pay for getting such as deal. You should clean the faces with steel wool or a Brillo pad after each session and then apply some very light machine oil ( 3 in 1 is cool ) with a soft cloth to keep the rust out. Just like you would do with your older firearms.

Bad analogy for me Rolling Eyes I'd prefer if you said "just like you would for your MTB chain"

So I should forget the Ping's.

I'll go back tomorrow and take a pic for you to see.
    I'll also have to get me a new 55* CG15 cherry
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:22 pm

jmtbkr wrote:Or should I consider the i20's???

Personally, I think you'd hit the i20 irons better on the course. I've tried them and they are very long and feel great.

However, the MP-63 irons will definitely feel better. Now, I would never buy a used set with a bunch of rock gouges on the soles and faces. However, if all you are talking about is chrome wear then I think it's no big deal. The MP-32 irons I bought for $89 have a lot of chrome loss but still look great. In fact, the grooves are still boxed and deep, despite the chrome loss. See attached photo.

The i20 irons are very expensive so I'd go with the MP-63 irons.
    Attachments
    Hit new irons today Attachmentz mizuno mp32 photos faces.JPG
    You don't have permission to download attachments.
    (3.4 Mb) Downloaded 1 times
    jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:28 pm

FD - there was also a set of i3's for $85, but the set looked a club short and they were beat.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:34 pm

jmtbkr wrote:FD - there was also a set of i3's for $85, but the set looked a club short and they were beat.

i3 irons suck. Stay away from them. I would get the i20 or MP-63.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:44 pm

FamousDavis wrote:

Personally, I think you'd hit the i20 irons better on the course. I've tried them and they are very long and feel great.

However, the MP-63 irons will definitely feel better. Now, I would never buy a used set with a bunch of rock gouges on the soles and faces. However, if all you are talking about is chrome wear then I think it's no big deal. The MP-32 irons I bought for $89 have a lot of chrome loss but still look great. In fact, the grooves are still boxed and deep, despite the chrome loss. See attached photo.

Do you know why having irons with brown faces is the sign of an expert ballstriker?
    jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:52 pm

The other Mizuno set there was MP57's. Steel shafts, new grips. $195

The backs said cut muscle, i think.

Last edited by jmtbkr on Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:55 pm

Mostly German wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:

Do you know why having irons with brown faces is the sign of an expert ballstriker?

I would imagine it's because what creates the chrome loss in the first place is the ball hitting the same spot over and over, along with the gritty sand from the range.

I received the Cleveland CG Red irons, 3-PW, Dynamic Gold S300 irons today. All but the PW have brand new Medalist black/red grips on them that actually feel great. The PW has the original Cleveland grip. I just love 3balls golf. They rated these irons as "Very Good" but I swear they look like they have no more than 5 rounds on them. I really like the way these look at address. Very no-nonsense irons and the red gel insert looks kind of cool to me. Can't wait to try them out this Sunday. Weather forecast says no rain, and temperature at 58 Degrees. Sweater weather. I love it.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:59 pm

FamousDavis wrote:
    Mostly German wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:

I would imagine it's because what creates the chrome loss in the first place is the ball hitting the same spot over and over, along with the gritty sand from the range.

I received the Cleveland CG Red irons, 3-PW, Dynamic Gold S300 irons today. All but the PW have brand new Medalist black/red grips on them that actually feel great. The PW has the original Cleveland grip. I just love 3balls golf. They rated these irons as "Very Good" but I swear they look like they have no more than 5 rounds on them. I really like the way these look at address. Very no-nonsense irons and the red gel insert looks kind of cool to me. Can't wait to try them out this Sunday. Weather forecast says no rain, and temperature at 58 Degrees. Sweater weather. I love it.

No. It simply means you're hitting the shit out of the ball.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 9:18 pm