The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

2 posters

I voted today.

FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

I voted today.   Empty I voted today.

Post  FamousDavis Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:27 pm

Mailed in my ballot last week.  Why would anyone physically go to a polling place when you can just vote and mail it in?
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

I voted today.   Empty Re: I voted today.

Post  Mongrel Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:37 pm

I voted yesterday. I work for the local government and we all had election day off. How cool. So I slept in until 10 AM, made breakfast, played on the computer, watched some Golf Channel reruns, showered, got dressed and went and voted three blocks away. I drove because it was raining. I always go vote in person because I like to see what the turnout is. My 'burb is mixed and when I was in there there may have been two other white people. So the black turnout was very high which is pretty unusual. I find it ironic that I could have gone into the polling place in an elementary school with two Glocks on my waist and my AR15 hanging from a strap under my coat and no one would have been the wiser. Unless, of course, I decided to thin the ranks of the local electorate. I like the current Driver vs. Driver 2 series on the Golf Channel. Makes me want to go test out whatever is the new Wilson Driver. Also been tempted to stick a shaft into one of my old 983K or 905T heads. Those smaller heads seem to be easier to turn over.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:27 pm

Hi Mongrel,

I'm just happy someone responded. As you can tell this forum is really going strong. I'm so proud of what I created several years ago. I've got advertisers coming out of the woodwork.

I'm playing the Titleist TS3 driver and sometimes go back to the Ping i25 or Ping GMax.

I"m still the best player on this forum. Nobody can beat me. Not even Qtong.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:53 am

At least know it is monitored by someone. Golf seems to have been in the decline for the past few years. Some of it is weather related. I suspect more of it is money related. After our golf season is over in the fall, I start making preparations for the next season. I will be 72 next March. The upside is that shooting my age will get one stroke easier. And the new USGA rules that let you drop a ball from a few inches makes a lot of sense. And being able to leave the flag stick in on putts is a marvelous revision that I never thought I'd see in my lifetime. And I am old enough to remember when you could do that. I also remember stymie. Stymie resulted when your ball was on the green and either it or a fellow player's ball was in the line of another. Under old rules, the ball in the way did not have to be marked. So the away player could either try to putt around it or chip over it. We played that a couple of times when we were kids. Hitting chips on the green is a skill I still have and will use on that rare occasion when the line of a putt takes me towards a trap or over some rough.

I'm in the driver doldrums and have neither the desire or the discretionary to pop for $400+ for a new big stick. So the last few days I've been going through the bins and drawers in my dusty shop and basement office searching for driver heads of yore and have found a few candidates for experimentation. They all happen to be Titleists ranging from 975J to 983K to 907D2, 905R, a couple of 909D2's, 909D3 and a couple of 909D Comps. I think I will start with the 909's since they are easier to glue the shaft into with their blind bores. I have a bunch of shafts that are not too beat up to be playable including a spiffy lime green Aldila Wasabi 60 g. R-flex that came in an Adams Fast 10. As I recall, that shaft was a noodle in the Adams head but it did launch high and stay in the air a long time. I wonder how it might be in the lower spin 909D3 head. Or in the 9.5* D Comp head. And a couple of OEM Titleist VooDoo stiffs that came in the 909's. The 909D3 came with one and the first round I played with it I healed it pretty bad on the second hole, a dogleg left with tall pines and a lake on the inside of the dogleg. Somehow the drive which was both pulled and healed and screaming about 20 feet above the ground missing clipping the pine branches and none of us saw where it ended up. I was playing a yellow Srixon and when we drove around the corner I saw my ball about 50 yards from the green. About 270-275 in a straight line. Maybe that is the combo I should epoxy in first. I don't have any good .335 ferrules left but who needs a fucking ferrule anyway? It ain't a beauty contest out there.

I was out on the range a month or so ago and there was another old guy pulled up next to me and started hitting these Titleist irons like a fucking Fed Ex Cup winner. He was flying a few right at the flag at the green about 170 out in cold dense air with swirling wind. I could only reach it with a decently struck 23* hybrid. He showed me the 7 iron and I said damn, that's a nice looking club that goes like stink. It was a Titleist AP3 which I didn't even realize they made.

I went retro on irons, too, snatching up a 4-GW set of Mizuno MX 200's with Dynalite Gold XP S300's. Shafts not to my liking but the heads have wear like you'd see in year-old irons and the set was cheap. I immediately removed the decals from the cavities and am experimenting with different shafts.

I finally got a Scotty Cameron putter, I paid under a bill for it and it was made around 2000. I've been practicing a bunch with it and it feels like I always had it.

With the exception of a couple of Vokey wedges, the bag will be 2009 or earlier. Swap those and "If it was made after 2009, it sure ain't mine."

Stay upwind of the fires and away from anyplace where country music is being played.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 9:00 am