The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+2
Pky6471
FamousDavis
6 posters

Center-shafted mallet putters

FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Center-shafted mallet putters Empty Center-shafted mallet putters

Post  FamousDavis Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:38 pm

I'm definitely holing more putts. I recently purchased a Taylormade Ghost Corza center-shafted mallet putter (white), 35 inch. It's incredibly easy to line up. Maybe the easiest I've ever tried. The insert feels fantastic; not too soft but very pleasing sound and sensation. I had a couple of 20 footers that I rolled in. I have more confidence over the 4 footers than before. 12 footers seems to be easier to get the line on and now I feel like I can make them.

I've slightly changed my stroke as well. I was using too much of a pendulum stroke and was losing my feel and coming up short. Now I'm ever so slightly incorporating a little jab with the stroke so that the ball comes off the clubface a little hotter and more on line. When I get too mechanical with my stroke I seem to lose feel and come up short.
    Attachments
    Center-shafted mallet putters Attachmentz corza putter.JPG
    You don't have permission to download attachments.
    (26 Kb) Downloaded 0 times
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Center-shafted mallet putters Empty Re: Center-shafted mallet putters

Post  Pky6471 Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:04 pm

FamousDavis wrote:I'm definitely holing more putts. I recently purchased a Taylormade Ghost Corza center-shafted mallet putter (white), 35 inch. It's incredibly easy to line up. Maybe the easiest I've ever tried. The insert feels fantastic; not too soft but very pleasing sound and sensation. I had a couple of 20 footers that I rolled in. I have more confidence over the 4 footers than before. 12 footers seems to be easier to get the line on and now I feel like I can make them.

I've slightly changed my stroke as well. I was using too much of a pendulum stroke and was losing my feel and coming up short. Now I'm ever so slightly incorporating a little jab with the stroke so that the ball comes off the clubface a little hotter and more on line. When I get too mechanical with my stroke I seem to lose feel and come up short.

Good job FD... I always like mallet putter, don't know why, just feel very comfy with that style. When I putt my RAM Zebra - the one and only one that I've used - I have a ball way forward, almost to my left foot and that forces 60% of my wt on that side resulting in a very steady putt
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:54 pm

Recently got used Rife 2 Bar Mallet putter at 33" with thick Winn grip. I tested beaucoup putters and the contenders were several Odysseys-- 2 ball and Marxman mallets, a Ping Mallet name of which I forget and several other mallets. I had tried the Rife I ended up buying a week before and then went and spent hours on the stores' indoor greens and ended up with the center-shafted Rife. For me, the most important thing is the visual alignment design and the Rife's two bars do it perfectly for me. I really wanted to like the Od two balls but could not use the balls well. I wanted a balanced face so I could use my shoulder-rocking pendulum stroke and almost wrote off the Rife because if has a slight (advertised as 15%) toe hang, but got it anyway. I've spent several sessions since on practice greens at two munis near me and conducted my usual drills with pitches, chips and putts, and concluded that this Rife (coupled with a newly simplified chipping technique) should lop a few strokes per round off my scores. I wanted to try some of the Yes putters, but there were no new or used ones at any of my local stores. But at $39.95 for the Rife at Golfsmith, I may not be looking back.
    Olderplayer
    Olderplayer

Post  Olderplayer Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:23 pm

Mostly German wrote:Recently got used Rife 2 Bar Mallet putter at 33" with thick Winn grip. I tested beaucoup putters and the contenders were several Odysseys-- 2 ball and Marxman mallets, a Ping Mallet name of which I forget and several other mallets. I had tried the Rife I ended up buying a week before and then went and spent hours on the stores' indoor greens and ended up with the center-shafted Rife. For me, the most important thing is the visual alignment design and the Rife's two bars do it perfectly for me. I really wanted to like the Od two balls but could not use the balls well. I wanted a balanced face so I could use my shoulder-rocking pendulum stroke and almost wrote off the Rife because if has a slight (advertised as 15%) toe hang, but got it anyway. I've spent several sessions since on practice greens at two munis near me and conducted my usual drills with pitches, chips and putts, and concluded that this Rife (coupled with a newly simplified chipping technique) should lop a few strokes per round off my scores. I wanted to try some of the Yes putters, but there were no new or used ones at any of my local stores. But at $39.95 for the Rife at Golfsmith, I may not be looking back.

I have used centre shafted putters and I like them for their balance and their clean look at set-up. That said my rife 2 bar mallet @34 with a thick winn grip is simply better than all the rest by a mile and has stopped any putter hoing completely. Can't see it lasting in the bag forever of course but it has been over a year at least and is only getting better.
    I forgot to add. I paid all of $25 for it. So much for having to pay $200-$350 for a decent putter.
    jt1135
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:22 pm

Yeah, hard to beat a Rife putter for alignment. When the greens are slow (spring and late fall) I use the 2bar hybrid heel shafted. Summer when fast, SC Futura kinda of halfassed heel shafted.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:27 pm

I'm two under going into the 8th hole
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:51 pm

FamousDavis wrote:I'm two under going into the 8th hole

Make it a 33/34. A sporty 67 on Christmas Eve Eve would be killer.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:22 pm

Mostly German wrote:

Don't choke FD, U can do it....
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:08 pm

Pky6471 wrote:
    Mostly German wrote:

Don't choke FD, U can do it....

Apparently I can't. I bogeyed the next hole and the doubled the one after that. I shot 75.
    Golfaholic

Post  Golfaholic Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:11 pm

Olderplayer wrote:

I have used centre shafted putters and I like them for their balance and their clean look at set-up. That said my rife 2 bar mallet @34 with a thick winn grip is simply better than all the rest by a mile and has stopped any putter hoing completely. Can't see it lasting in the bag forever of course but it has been over a year at least and is only getting better.
    I forgot to add. I paid all of $25 for it. So much for having to pay $200-$350 for a decent putter.

I'm also playing a 2 Bar Mallet at 34' with a Tiger Shark grip. I got mine when they first came out, so I paid the $300 for it. Great putter. I lost the lie changing tool and the weight kit though. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.
    Olderplayer
    Olderplayer

Post  Olderplayer Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:12 am

Golfaholic wrote:
    Olderplayer wrote:

I'm also playing a 2 Bar Mallet at 34' with a Tiger Shark grip. I got mine when they first came out, so I paid the $300 for it. Great putter. I lost the lie changing tool and the weight kit though. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.
    Bad luck about losing the bits and pieces. I don't know what it is about that model but it has tremendous feel and balance. I can honestly say that sometimes equipment can make the difference. I was a good putter 10 years ago but was getting quite a lot worse as the years went by. i thought it was me, but with this stick that suits me I am back putting well again.
    Golfaholic

Post  Golfaholic Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:35 am

Olderplayer wrote:
    Golfaholic wrote:
    Olderplayer wrote:

Bad luck about losing the bits and pieces. I don't know what it is about that model but it has tremendous feel and balance. I can honestly say that sometimes equipment can make the difference. I was a good putter 10 years ago but was getting quite a lot worse as the years went by. i thought it was me, but with this stick that suits me I am back putting well again.

I'm sure a lot of it has to do with confidence too. If you think you're going to make the putt, you have a better chance than if you're hoping to sneak away with a 2 putt. The putter makes alignment easy, while the grooves help get a good solid roll on the ball. Hard to go wrong. I think I will have a look around my parents house while I'm here on vacation. The weights and lie tool have to be here somewhere..
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:16 am

Golfaholic wrote:
    Olderplayer wrote:

I've studied mine and found some literature on the "lie changing tool" which appears to be just a molded piece of plastic that fits over the head to hold it still while you bend the shaft to the lie you want. I also read somewhere in the Rife literature that if you don't have that tool, you can still bend the shaft by holding the head with your feet. So the tool is a joke since you are instructed to hold the tool with head inside with your feet anyway. Just make sure you are wearing sneakers when you bend it without the tool. With the 33" shaft, it fits me perfectly so no bending for this one. And mine came with just the heaviest weights installed -- 22 grams each -- so I am good to go. Compared to many of the other putters I tried, this Rife feels like it is made to military specs instead of like a Chinese plastic toy. I was almost expecting to see a U.S. military serial number on the sole. Ten HUT! Sink de PUTT!
    jt1135
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:44 pm

Compared to many of the other putters I tried, this Rife feels like it is made to military specs instead of like a Chinese plastic toy. I was almost expecting to see a U.S. military serial number on the sole. Ten HUT! Sink de PUTT!

Just your German heritage coming thru.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:35 am

Uh oh. I just discovered what might be a problem with my new Rife 2 Bar Mallet putter. After I got my new irons at Christmas, I put them in my bag along with several wedges I might use and then went to fit that Rife in there. Problem: Mr. Rife has a real big head as well he should because he is so good. But he don't like sharing space with lesser sticks. Call it the Short Club Syndrome. Because at 33", he is the bag midget. So I tried slotting this damn thing in all the holes but everywhere it goes, it bangs its head up against the other shafts, hosels and heads. So I guess I'm going to have to try to find or make some sort of putter head cover. Man, do I hate head covers.
    Golfaholic

Post  Golfaholic Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:43 am

Mostly German wrote:Uh oh. I just discovered what might be a problem with my new Rife 2 Bar Mallet putter. After I got my new irons at Christmas, I put them in my bag along with several wedges I might use and then went to fit that Rife in there. Problem: Mr. Rife has a real big head as well he should because he is so good. But he don't like sharing space with lesser sticks. Call it the Short Club Syndrome. Because at 33", he is the bag midget. So I tried slotting this damn thing in all the holes but everywhere it goes, it bangs its head up against the other shafts, hosels and heads. So I guess I'm going to have to try to find or make some sort of putter head cover. Man, do I hate head covers.

You don't have the stock head cover? Noob. E-mail the company and have them ship you a head cover...
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:45 am

Golfaholic wrote:
    Mostly German wrote:Uh oh. I just discovered what might be a problem with my new Rife 2 Bar Mallet putter. After I got my new irons at Christmas, I put them in my bag along with several wedges I might use and then went to fit that Rife in there. Problem: Mr. Rife has a real big head as well he should because he is so good. But he don't like sharing space with lesser sticks. Call it the Short Club Syndrome. Because at 33", he is the bag midget. So I tried slotting this damn thing in all the holes but everywhere it goes, it bangs its head up against the other shafts, hosels and heads. So I guess I'm going to have to try to find or make some sort of putter head cover. Man, do I hate head covers.

You don't have the stock head cover? Noob. E-mail the company and have them ship you a head cover...

Hey. I bought it used for $39.95. If I would have been smart, I would have bought it new for $199 and gotten the weight and tool kit and the headcover. Oh well, live and learn.
    Golfaholic

Post  Golfaholic Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:50 am

Mostly German wrote:

Hey. I bought it used for $39.95. If I would have been smart, I would have bought it new for $199 and gotten the weight and tool kit and the headcover. Oh well, live and learn.

Alright, I guess I'll give you a break this time. Next time, be sure to pay 30%-60% to much for putters.

Just E-mail the company and tell them the dog ate it.
    Olderplayer
    Olderplayer

Post  Olderplayer Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:06 pm

Yeah mine's exactly the same. I put it in the bottom left slot right before my wedges. It seems to do the least amount of damage there.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:23 pm

Mostly German wrote:
    Golfaholic wrote:

Today I saw a Rife Two-Bar blade putter at Golf Mart for $29. Pretty nice shape, actually. It has a lightish blue/grey color to the head. Very odd looking putter but I can see that it would be easy to line up.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:43 pm

FamousDavis wrote:
    Mostly German wrote:
    Golfaholic wrote:

Today I saw a Rife Two-Bar blade putter at Golf Mart for $29. Pretty nice shape, actually. It has a lightish blue/grey color to the head. Very odd looking putter but I can see that it would be easy to line up.

It aligns better than any putter I've ever held and that's why I ended up buying it. In second place was the Odyssey #7 XG. The one nicknamed "Fang" that Luke Donald, Furyk, Poulter and others use or have used. The problems I had with the ones I tried were the various inserts that were either too hot, too soft, or too cheesy like the metal one in the new models that looks like the engine-turned dashboard material from my 1966 Pontiac GTO. The Odysseys, Taylors and other large mallets almost all looked and felt like plastic Chinese toys while the Rife looks and feels like a precision tool. The horizontal face grooves give it a different feel and so far its been address the ball, look at the hole and just hit the damn thing and the ball rolls real close to the hole no more than a foot off line at 50 feet on a straight putt and no more than two feet short or long.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 4:50 pm