The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

5 posters

Mayweather-Pacquiao

trombettista_vecchio
    trombettista_vecchio

Mayweather-Pacquiao Empty Mayweather-Pacquiao

Post  trombettista_vecchio Sun May 03, 2015 7:57 am

The two lads pulled in 400,000,000 clams last night so more power to them. They also fought the most predictable match of all time. The game and aggressive Pacman landed fewer blows than the brilliantly skilled Mayweather was able to land retreating for twelve rounds.

For the boxing aficionado like myself, it was a reasonably entertaining fight. For the many crossover sports fans who tuned in (for one hundred bucks a pop), it was probably less so.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Mayweather-Pacquiao Empty Re: Mayweather-Pacquiao

Post  Pky6471 Mon May 04, 2015 6:22 am

trombettista_vecchio wrote:The two lads pulled in 400,000,000 clams last night so more power to them. They also fought the most predictable match of all time. The game and aggressive Pacman landed fewer blows than the brilliantly skilled Mayweather was able to land retreating for twelve rounds.

For the boxing aficionado like myself, it was a reasonably entertaining fight. For the many crossover sports fans who tuned in (for one hundred bucks a pop), it was probably less so.

Mayweather is a little bit taller, so I ASSUME his arms are a little bit long... in boxing that's the advantage... same skills , try to beat Rory whose drive is 315 yds avg when Jordan S's is 285 , that's why when Rory and TW play their A game NO ONE could beat them
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Mon May 04, 2015 9:30 am

Speaking of Rory and Tiger, I saw the news last night that Tiger and his ski-twat are parting ways. After Rory and his tennis-twat parted ways, his game shifted into high gear. I expect that Tiger's will as well and Major #15 may be on the horizon. As for the Fight, I did not pay the Benjamin to watch it nor will I watch a rerun for free. With that much money and the contestants involved, it was a foregone conclusion that it would go all the way and won by decision. I hate decisions. The days of a swarming Tyson putting down another beast in a round or two are sadly gone.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Tue May 05, 2015 8:27 am

Mongrel wrote:Speaking of Rory and Tiger, I saw the news last night that Tiger and his ski-twat are parting ways. After Rory and his tennis-twat parted ways, his game shifted into high gear. I expect that Tiger's will as well and Major #15 may be on the horizon. As for the Fight, I did not pay the Benjamin to watch it nor will I watch a rerun for free. With that much money and the contestants involved, it was a foregone conclusion that it would go all the way and won by decision. I hate decisions. The days of a swarming Tyson putting down another beast in a round or two are sadly gone.

https://www.facebook.com/sunderlandnow/videos/10153217358106427/

ENJOY
    trombettista_vecchio
    trombettista_vecchio

Post  trombettista_vecchio Tue May 05, 2015 12:38 pm

Pky6471 wrote:    I hate decisions. The days of a swarming Tyson putting down another beast in a round or two are sadly gone.

That's fine and not uncommon...but you're not a serious boxing fan, Pky.  When you've paid for the big buck tickets and the pay-per-views that I have, you're none too pleased with first and second round main event knockouts.  You also have more appreciation for nuanced confrontations that come with the confluence of disparate but highly developed styles.

There are still plenty of quick knockouts, by the way, but they rarely come in a matchup of two world class competitors.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Tue May 05, 2015 2:13 pm

trombettista_vecchio wrote:
    Pky6471 wrote:    I hate decisions. The days of a swarming Tyson putting down another beast in a round or two are sadly gone.

That's fine and not uncommon...but you're not a serious boxing fan, Pky.  When you've paid for the big buck tickets and the pay-per-views that I have, you're none too pleased with first and second round main event knockouts.  You also have more appreciation for nuanced confrontations that come with the confluence of disparate but highly developed styles.

There are still plenty of quick knockouts, by the way, but they rarely come in a matchup of two world class competitors.

Hey... I did not write that bounce ...
    Yep, I am not a serious boxing fan , although 30 yrs ago I watched an exhibition match at a hotel in NY and I have to admit the sound of contact is very exciting
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Wed May 06, 2015 3:43 am

I know you've always struggled with the quote function Nifty but quoting Pky and putting Mongrel's words in his mouth is taking it to an all new level. Wink

I enjoyed the fight and it went pretty much as I expected but I hoped Pacquiao could get in more and make a closer fight of it. If the fight had happened 5 years ago when it should have I think it would have been a more exciting fight though I think the outcome would probably have been the same. Pacquiao isn't as fast as he was and just doesn't sustain the aggression anymore. Still worth seeing but would have been better when both were nearer their prime.
    trombettista_vecchio
    trombettista_vecchio

Post  trombettista_vecchio Wed May 06, 2015 9:39 am

Sorry, Pky, and yes, Kiwi, you're absolutely right. It was similar to Hagler-Leonard which we were also served well after its expiration date.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Wed May 06, 2015 9:57 am

trombettista_vecchio wrote:Sorry, Pky, and yes, Kiwi, you're absolutely right.  It was similar to Hagler-Leonard which we were also served well after its expiration date.

... Pas de quoi... I don't take thing seriously except life and death, beside, my skin is very thick.... Razz Razz Razz
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Wed May 06, 2015 12:30 pm

Pky6471 wrote:
    Mongrel wrote:Speaking of Rory and Tiger, I saw the news last night that Tiger and his ski-twat are parting ways. After Rory and his tennis-twat parted ways, his game shifted into high gear. I expect that Tiger's will as well and Major #15 may be on the horizon. As for the Fight, I did not pay the Benjamin to watch it nor will I watch a rerun for free. With that much money and the contestants involved, it was a foregone conclusion that it would go all the way and won by decision. I hate decisions. The days of a swarming Tyson putting down another beast in a round or two are sadly gone.

ENJOY

Thanks Pky, that fight is interesting to watch as it has different commentators to the ones we had on the live feed here in NZ. Interesting to get a different perspective and I like Al Bernstein.

Cheers Kiwi
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Wed May 06, 2015 12:41 pm

I know what you mean and that was always a risk with Tyson fights. The worst one I can recall was the Tyson Spinks fight. Utterly pathetic. Spinks offered nothing and was flattened in 91 seconds. It made a mockery of boxing for the casual fan who endures the endless build up and hype, the ring walk, drawn out ring introductions and then it was all over in less time than the build up.  As you say, you rarely see that in marque matchups anymore.

Another one was the first Lewis McCall fight. I actually went to that in London at Wembly figuring it was my only chance to see a world heavyweight title fight live. After an interminably long, drawn out, boring undercard the main event came on at approx 1.00am (to cater for American TV) and after an uneventful 1st round Lewis was flattened in the second round in amateurish fashion. What a let down! I was worried the British fans were going to riot and after seeing what happened at the Hagler Minter fight I got the hell out of there.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Wed May 06, 2015 2:07 pm

Kiwigolfer wrote:
    Pky6471 wrote:

ENJOY

Thanks Pky, that fight is interesting to watch as it has different commentators to the ones we had on the live feed here in NZ. Interesting to get a different perspective and I like Al Bernstein.

Cheers Kiwi

U are welcome , kiwi
    jt1135
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 Thu May 07, 2015 8:28 am

Growing up in the sixties and early seventies I watched a lot of fights and the interest held into the eighties. Some great fighters during that era. Ali, Frazier, Norton, Hearns, Hagler, Duran, Leonard, Chavez, Lopez, Foreman, Arguello just to name a few. But the fight that still sticks in my mind is when Weaver knocked out Tate with under a minute to go in the 15th with Tate so far ahead on points he just had to stay standing to win the fight.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 10:42 am