The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+3
Kiwigolfer
FamousDavis
trombettista_vecchio
7 posters

Just bought a Bradington-Young leather sofa

FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Just bought a Bradington-Young leather sofa Empty Just bought a Bradington-Young leather sofa

Post  FamousDavis Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:18 am

...off of Craigslist for $500. It was used as furniture in the sale of a high-end home. This sofa is the bomb. If taken care of it should last me a lifetime.

When purchasing a leather sofa it is always wise to get the high end stuff. The cheap stuff from Macy's won't last more than a few years.

I'm so happy with my couch.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Just bought a Bradington-Young leather sofa Empty Re: Just bought a Bradington-Young leather sofa

Post  Mongrel Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:42 pm

Maybe the seller got it from a mini-storage facility auction. I've watched a lot of the episodes of "Storage Wars" over the past few years. Its set in southern California. Your turf. Sometimes they go up north or out east into the desert towns. I like to watch it because sometimes they go to places I've been although they all look different now. Way different than 1975 which is the last time I was in California. Anyway, sometimes there is nice furniture in those lockers.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Just bought a Bradington-Young leather sofa Empty Re: Just bought a Bradington-Young leather sofa

Post  Lorenzzo Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:40 am

I've had chances in the past to acquire used sofas but I was concerned about come stains. That stuff won't completely clean off leather. At the very least you ought to swab the sofa and have it tested for STDs.
    trombettista_vecchio
    trombettista_vecchio

Post  trombettista_vecchio Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:12 pm

I'm not a sofa guy, although I've got a couple in my crib.

I've gone through countless recliners throughout my adult life, though. My present principle chair is mocha-colored leather and motorized. It stands me up so I don't have to strain myself. I'm even a little older than mongrel, after all.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:50 am

Lorenzzo wrote:I've had chances in the past to acquire used sofas but I was concerned about come stains. That stuff won't completely clean off leather. At the very least you ought to swab the sofa and have it tested for STDs.

I had it cleaned and waxed with a fine shammy.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:53 am

trombettista_vecchio wrote:I'm not a sofa guy, although I've got a couple in my crib.

I've gone through countless recliners throughout my adult life, though. My present principle chair is mocha-colored leather and motorized.  It stands me up so I don't have to strain myself.   I'm even a little older than mongrel, after all.

I'm guessing you need more than just a mechanical chair to get erect.
    trombettista_vecchio
    trombettista_vecchio

Post  trombettista_vecchio Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:43 am

FamousDavis wrote:

I'm guessing you need more than just a mechanical chair to get erect.  [/quote]

My girlfriend is many years my junior, FD, and even she's old enough to scarcely care!
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:52 am

trombettista_vecchio wrote:

My girlfriend is many years my junior, FD, and even she's old enough to scarcely care!

The quote function has always troubled you hasn't it Nifty.
    trombettista_vecchio
    trombettista_vecchio

Post  trombettista_vecchio Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:21 am

Kiwigolfer wrote:

Only when I try to edit in it.  People my age, you must remember,  found the IBM Selectric typewriter to be life-changing.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:31 pm

FamousDavis wrote:...off of Craigslist for $500.  It was used as furniture in the sale of a high-end home.  This sofa is the bomb.  If taken care of it should last me a lifetime.  

When purchasing a leather sofa it is always wise to get the high end stuff.  The cheap stuff from Macy's won't last more than a few years.  

not bad price for high-end leather sofa... they should last forever unless abused. All my high-end leather sofas are from SCAN ... very high quality leather
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:47 pm

Pky6471 wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:...off of Craigslist for $500.  It was used as furniture in the sale of a high-end home.  This sofa is the bomb.  If taken care of it should last me a lifetime.  

When purchasing a leather sofa it is always wise to get the high end stuff.  The cheap stuff from Macy's won't last more than a few years.  

not bad price for high-end leather sofa... they should last forever unless abused.  All my high-end leather sofas are from SCAN ... very high quality leather

SCAN is decent. However, if you want a true leather sofa then you need to purchase one that's made in Carolina. Yes, I am a leather sofa snob and proud of it.
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:51 am

Kiwigolfer wrote:

Only when I try to edit in it.  People my age, you must remember,  found the IBM Selectric typewriter to be life-changing.

Very Happy
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:20 am

Kiwigolfer wrote:

I learned a bit of typing in high school. Then in the USN, I again learned to type on a 1906 Royal. 40 wpm. At the time, the Selectric was the greatest technological innovation for those of us earning their keeps with written words.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:51 am

FamousDavis wrote:
    Pky6471 wrote:

not bad price for high-end leather sofa... they should last forever unless abused.  All my high-end leather sofas are from SCAN ... very high quality leather

SCAN is decent.  However, if you want a true leather sofa then you need to purchase one that's made in Carolina.  Yes, I am a leather sofa snob and proud of it.

Furniture made-in-Carolina , in general very good, if you go with high end like Henredon brand... otherwise their furniture style is too old for my taste. When I say SCAN , I mean high end SCAN stores , NOT IKEA which is disposable furniture for dorm and apartment. Ethan Allen is known for high-end furniture but not for me, too-old furniture style
    jt1135
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:08 am

Mongrel wrote:
    Kiwigolfer wrote:

I learned a bit of typing in high school. Then in the USN, I again learned to type on a 1906 Royal. 40 wpm. At the time, the Selectric was the greatest technological innovation for those of us earning their keeps with written words.

I also learned in high school in the very early 70's. The typewriters they had were half electric and half manual. The girls got the electrics of course. After learning on a manual the first time with an electric was an eye opener. Used to really hammering the keys and go to the other one was frustrating as you always had about five of the same letters from one key stroke.

Now is the time for every good man to come to the aid of his country.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:26 am

The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog's back 1234567890 times.

Learning on such an antiquated machine can really build up your speed. Like practicing with a weighted golf club or running with weights on your ankles. There were times in the heat of battle off the coast of RVN that I could jam the keyboards of the teletype machines we used. They were 100 wpm models. Of course the amphetemines helped
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:30 pm

Pky6471 wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:
    Pky6471 wrote:

SCAN is decent.  However, if you want a true leather sofa then you need to purchase one that's made in Carolina.  Yes, I am a leather sofa snob and proud of it.

Furniture made-in-Carolina , in general very good, if you go with high end like Henredon brand... otherwise their furniture style is too old for my taste.  When I say SCAN , I mean high end SCAN stores , NOT IKEA which is disposable furniture for dorm and apartment. Ethan Allen is known for high-end furniture but not for me, too-old furniture style
    As everyone knows or should know… truly high-end and stylish leather furniture comes exclusively from Italia. American leather products generally lack style and are most appropriate for garage locations.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:01 pm

Only a very few know that the best leather comes from Corinth. Hardly any of you are old enough to remember the fine upholstery found in the extremely limited production automobiles provided for the discerning transpo minority back in the mid '70's-- the Le Baron. And the corporate spokesman Ricardo Montalban waxed eloquently on the benefits of "...reech Coreeenthian lay-thur.." Properly optioned with black paint, carpet and vinyl top, the capstone was the svelte blood red Corinthian leather interior. Truly upscale Parisian brothel on four wheels.
    jt1135
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:09 pm

Mongrel wrote:Only a very few know that the best leather comes from Corinth. Hardly any of you are old enough to remember the fine upholstery found in the extremely limited production automobiles provided for the discerning transpo minority back in the mid '70's-- the Le Baron. And the corporate spokesman Ricardo Montalban waxed eloquently on the benefits of "...reech Coreeenthian lay-thur.." Properly optioned with black paint, carpet and vinyl top, the capstone was the svelte blood red Corinthian leather interior. Truly upscale Parisian brothel on four wheels.

De plane boss!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 10:42 am