The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+3
trombettista_vecchio
Lorenzzo
tonyj5
7 posters

Looking Back at my 2014 Predictions. Did I get it right?

trombettista_vecchio
    trombettista_vecchio

Looking Back at my 2014 Predictions. Did I get it right? - Page 2 Empty Re: Looking Back at my 2014 Predictions. Did I get it right?

Post  trombettista_vecchio Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:06 pm

I don't have a conservative bone in my body when it comes to socio-political / economic issues, but I love a guy who gets up in the end zone and calmly tosses the ball to an official.  Back in my youth, I got a kick out of Cassius Clay because he was an aberration, and even at that, his tongue was firmly in cheek when he pulled his antics. (And by the time he became Ali, I was already sick of it.)

It seems that most of today's jocks are completely unaware of how tacky their behavior is.

And it isn't just on the field.

Michael Vick
    Aaron Hernandez
    Richie Incognito
    Ray Rice
    Adrian Peterson (The child abuse is most disgusting, but six kids with six women isn't very cool either. Throw a bag on it, asshole.)

Class in demeanor isn't always a valued attribute anymore. Not to everybody, anyway
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Looking Back at my 2014 Predictions. Did I get it right? - Page 2 Empty Re: Looking Back at my 2014 Predictions. Did I get it right?

Post  Lorenzzo Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:27 pm

Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:
    trombettista_vecchio wrote:Are we certain that the earth will not be destroyed by an asteroid?

4 out of 5 is still possible.

For that matter the Bengals will make the playoffs and then stranger things...  

However beating up on Jonny Pathetic Football doesn't prove anything.
    I don't know where you are getting your information from, but the Bengals will not be making the playoffs this year.  They will definitely go 0-2 and be passed by the Ravens and Steelers.  

Also, for 2015, I am predicting that Jonathan Football will be a top 10 QB.  But yes, he was terrible against the Bengals.  

I'm just showing a little confidence in my former team.  But living in Cincinnati you would have to be daft to get that wrong....

Top 10? Really? Okay… I'll take that bet...
    I'm going to need some odds.  I'm just not seeing very many good QBs out there.  I would trade Dalton for Mr. Football in a heartbeat, but I'm one of only a few people outside of Texas who think he's going to be a good pro.  My instincts are impeccable, btw.  

I'm not quite sure how odds work if there isn't money at stake… but sure what the hell… how about 1 million to 1?

I confess to having bias against Johnny Foottesticle. He lacks ethic, he's a running quarterback and he had the gall to trademark his name encompassing his sport. For me that wins the douche derby trifecta.
    I am always a fan of the people creating interest and going against the grain.  Sherman, Sabbatini, Juan Foosball, etc.  The majority of pro athletes are douches, I find the ones who embrace it refreshing.  

It's interesting....I think I'm just enough older than you to have difficulty relating to that.  We grew up liking guys who were arrows, appreciating accomplishment with humility and respect.  My generation was taught to not beat our chests (well yeah there was Tarzan), act like we'd been there before, respect intelligence, elders, etc.  The world has most definitely changed.

Your perspective seems a little closer to the hat backwards generation.  In my ski instructor gig I get to deal with all of them....yours, mine and the others.  They are just different. It is fun after a lesson to take the more brash ones into ego bruising terrain whereas lessons are typically reigned in. I don't do it until after tips have been received.

I don't need the tip money, I'm saving it for season's end to throw a rip roaring party at my place for my colleagues most of whom live a subsistence life. They don't have much but they are one happy group of people.
    See, it has nothing to do with any of that.  I don't make my "fan relationship" personally.  I don't know any of those guys, I don't act like those guys, and I don't like to personally associate with anyone who does act like that.  I root for chaos and unpredictability.  Excellence and by-the-book do not hold my interest when it comes to watching sports.  

Then let me ask you this… Do you feel that way as to players on One of your teams? Take the  Bengals for example… Do you want those kinds of players on your team?
    If they are good players, yes.  I loved Chad Johnson when he was a trash-talking badass.  Then he just became a trash-talking average receiver.  Then he became a cancer.  Didn't care for the last two versions.  I would love to have Richard Sherman on the Bengals.  I think there is a big difference between selfish loudmouths like Terrell Owens, and outspoken players with the respect of their teammates like Richard Sherman.  It's a bit of a fine line, admittedly.  

At his point, I'd take Julio Football over Andy Dalton.  That's more of an indictment on the passionless choker than praise for Jimmy F., though I do think he will be good in the NFL.  He could easily become a Drew Brees or Russell Wilson type of player with a good team around him.  

Let's face it, I don't have anything personally invested in my fandom other than the enjoyment of the games.  When my teams are winning, it's more fun to watch.  When they lose, I don't beat my kids or call in sick to work.  When I see a fan of a rival team, I don't hold them in disregard, unless they are psychos who somehow feel a transient property between their team and their own well-being.  Then again, I automatically have a low opinion of anyone whose sense of self is tied to something they have no control of, including Bengals fans.  

Well I'm with you as you probably know as to the extent of fan investment in teams. It does explain certain things such as levels of ignorance, Nazi Germany, political affiliation.

As to unprofessional prima donnas, sure, the psychological make up of a receiver associates with certain things. If you weeded out assholes at receiver it would probably run counter.

But we're talking quarterback here -- the leader on offense. No matter the era leadership requires certain things.

So I presume you get into professional wrestling?
    Don't forget religious fanaticism.  Pretty much geography as far as I'm concerned.  
    As long as the QB has the team behind him, I don't really care.  Though I do concede that a prima donna's staying power in a leadership role probably has a shorter shelf life than that of a boring professional task master like Brady or Manning.  
    I'm not into pro wrestling, though I can appreciate the medium.  Basically just a bunch of dudes trolling stupid rednecks.  

I guess looking at Richard Sherman as simply trolling, I can like the guy for that.

Nift, I find you to be extremely conservative...maybe the most conservative person I've come across.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:01 am

Lorenzzo wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:
    trombettista_vecchio wrote:Are we certain that the earth will not be destroyed by an asteroid?

4 out of 5 is still possible.

For that matter the Bengals will make the playoffs and then stranger things...  

However beating up on Jonny Pathetic Football doesn't prove anything.
    I don't know where you are getting your information from, but the Bengals will not be making the playoffs this year.  They will definitely go 0-2 and be passed by the Ravens and Steelers.  

Also, for 2015, I am predicting that Jonathan Football will be a top 10 QB.  But yes, he was terrible against the Bengals.  

I'm just showing a little confidence in my former team.  But living in Cincinnati you would have to be daft to get that wrong....

Top 10? Really? Okay… I'll take that bet...
    I'm going to need some odds.  I'm just not seeing very many good QBs out there.  I would trade Dalton for Mr. Football in a heartbeat, but I'm one of only a few people outside of Texas who think he's going to be a good pro.  My instincts are impeccable, btw.  

I'm not quite sure how odds work if there isn't money at stake… but sure what the hell… how about 1 million to 1?

I confess to having bias against Johnny Foottesticle. He lacks ethic, he's a running quarterback and he had the gall to trademark his name encompassing his sport. For me that wins the douche derby trifecta.
    I am always a fan of the people creating interest and going against the grain.  Sherman, Sabbatini, Juan Foosball, etc.  The majority of pro athletes are douches, I find the ones who embrace it refreshing.  

It's interesting....I think I'm just enough older than you to have difficulty relating to that.  We grew up liking guys who were arrows, appreciating accomplishment with humility and respect.  My generation was taught to not beat our chests (well yeah there was Tarzan), act like we'd been there before, respect intelligence, elders, etc.  The world has most definitely changed.

Your perspective seems a little closer to the hat backwards generation.  In my ski instructor gig I get to deal with all of them....yours, mine and the others.  They are just different. It is fun after a lesson to take the more brash ones into ego bruising terrain whereas lessons are typically reigned in. I don't do it until after tips have been received.

I don't need the tip money, I'm saving it for season's end to throw a rip roaring party at my place for my colleagues most of whom live a subsistence life. They don't have much but they are one happy group of people.
    See, it has nothing to do with any of that.  I don't make my "fan relationship" personally.  I don't know any of those guys, I don't act like those guys, and I don't like to personally associate with anyone who does act like that.  I root for chaos and unpredictability.  Excellence and by-the-book do not hold my interest when it comes to watching sports.  

Then let me ask you this… Do you feel that way as to players on One of your teams? Take the  Bengals for example… Do you want those kinds of players on your team?
    If they are good players, yes.  I loved Chad Johnson when he was a trash-talking badass.  Then he just became a trash-talking average receiver.  Then he became a cancer.  Didn't care for the last two versions.  I would love to have Richard Sherman on the Bengals.  I think there is a big difference between selfish loudmouths like Terrell Owens, and outspoken players with the respect of their teammates like Richard Sherman.  It's a bit of a fine line, admittedly.  

At his point, I'd take Julio Football over Andy Dalton.  That's more of an indictment on the passionless choker than praise for Jimmy F., though I do think he will be good in the NFL.  He could easily become a Drew Brees or Russell Wilson type of player with a good team around him.  

Let's face it, I don't have anything personally invested in my fandom other than the enjoyment of the games.  When my teams are winning, it's more fun to watch.  When they lose, I don't beat my kids or call in sick to work.  When I see a fan of a rival team, I don't hold them in disregard, unless they are psychos who somehow feel a transient property between their team and their own well-being.  Then again, I automatically have a low opinion of anyone whose sense of self is tied to something they have no control of, including Bengals fans.  

Well I'm with you as you probably know as to the extent of fan investment in teams. It does explain certain things such as levels of ignorance, Nazi Germany, political affiliation.

As to unprofessional prima donnas, sure, the psychological make up of a receiver associates with certain things. If you weeded out assholes at receiver it would probably run counter.

But we're talking quarterback here -- the leader on offense. No matter the era leadership requires certain things.

So I presume you get into professional wrestling?
    Don't forget religious fanaticism.  Pretty much geography as far as I'm concerned.  
    As long as the QB has the team behind him, I don't really care.  Though I do concede that a prima donna's staying power in a leadership role probably has a shorter shelf life than that of a boring professional task master like Brady or Manning.  
    I'm not into pro wrestling, though I can appreciate the medium.  Basically just a bunch of dudes trolling stupid rednecks.  

I guess looking at Richard Sherman as simply trolling, I can like the guy for that.

Nift, I find you to be extremely conservative...maybe the most conservative person I've come across.  
    Now this is trolling I can get behind.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 3:54 pm