The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+4
Lorenzzo
Mongrel
jt1135
Pky6471
8 posters

If HE could do it 5 times

Pky6471
    Pky6471

If HE could do it 5 times  Empty If HE could do it 5 times

Post  Pky6471 Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:36 pm

jt1135
    jt1135

If HE could do it 5 times  Empty Re: If HE could do it 5 times

Post  jt1135 Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:18 pm

Maybe he just likes wedding cake Laughing
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:13 pm

jt1135 wrote:Maybe he just likes wedding cake Laughing

no wonder why he gains wt... Laughing
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:17 pm

I remember her from the special on the Golf Channel "Being John Daly". I though she was a Grecian gold digger then and nothing has changed my opinion. Based on that photo of him he's carrying around as much weight as before he had that staple surgery. Which is a bunch of shit anyway. If he wanted to lose a lot of weight, he knows that he has to kiss alcohol and crap food goodbye and get into some sort of efficient exercise routine. Based on his history of booze and gambling addictions, he has little self control. I don't care if he still has that loose and flowing swing and can hit the ball a mile. I good woman would have put her foot down and have the guy back in competition with him being able to contend amongst his peers.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:33 pm

Some people have a higher tolerance for pain than others. Also… some people forget how nasty pain can be not long after it has ended. When you combine both characteristics in the same person you can get things like five marriages.

This is fresh in my mind as I lay here following a surgery. They went in and took out a 4 inch section of my large intestine and sewed the two ends together. If the doctors are right, my long-term pain and suffering has come to an end but the price is my current pain and suffering which includes losing a couple of weeks of ski season.

Fortunately I can tolerate a high level of pain killers without nausea. Cheers…
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:45 pm

Sounds like its time for the opiate derivatives. Spend some time in la-la-land. Worse places to be.
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:48 am

Lorenzzo wrote:Some people have a higher tolerance for pain than others. Also… some people forget how nasty pain can be not long after it has ended. When you combine both characteristics in the same person you can get things like five marriages.

This is fresh in my mind as I lay here following a surgery. They went in and took out a 4 inch section of my large intestine and sewed the two ends together. If the doctors are right, my long-term pain and suffering has come to an end but the price is my current pain and suffering which includes losing a couple of weeks of ski season.

Surgery? Sounds pretty serious? Are you Ok? All the best with your recovery Zo. Wink
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:04 pm

Kiwigolfer wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:Some people have a higher tolerance for pain than others. Also… some people forget how nasty pain can be not long after it has ended. When you combine both characteristics in the same person you can get things like five marriages.

Surgery? Sounds pretty serious? Are you Ok? All the best with your recovery Zo. Wink

Thanks, Kiwi, I'm fine. It will turn out to be a good thing which is easy to say now as the pain has now broken, I haven't even taken Advil so far today. I've dealt with a congenital colon condition my whole life. Recently a full tear developed so they had to go in. It was just like living through an episode of one of those hospital drama shows.

It's not a surgery you elect but if successful it completely resolves the issue. So now I'm stoked. I don't need my pHd in pain management any longer. The early recup. sucked because they needed to limit the meds so i could feel when I was in a good or bad postion which was necessary for healing.

If I knew the operation would have been successful and complication free like this I'd have done it 30 years ago.

Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:24 pm

Lorenzzo wrote:

Thanks, Kiwi, I'm fine.  It will turn out to be a good thing which is easy to say now as the pain has now broken,  I haven't even taken Advil so far today.  I've dealt with a congenital colon condition my whole life.  Recently a full tear developed so they had to go in.  It was just like living through an episode of one of those hospital drama shows.

It's not a surgery you elect but if successful it completely resolves the issue.  So now I'm stoked.  I don't need my pHd in pain management any longer.  The early recup. sucked because they needed to limit the meds so i could feel when I was in a good or bad postion which was necessary for healing.

If I knew the operation would have been successful and complication free like this I'd have done it 30 years ago.

[/quote]

Zo... I am hoping that it's not going to disrupt your upcoming X-mas/new yr holidays... hang in there sucker bounce
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:22 am

Lorenzzo wrote:
    Kiwigolfer wrote:

Thanks, Kiwi, I'm fine.  It will turn out to be a good thing which is easy to say now as the pain has now broken,  I haven't even taken Advil so far today.  I've dealt with a congenital colon condition my whole life.  Recently a full tear developed so they had to go in.  It was just like living through an episode of one of those hospital drama shows.

It's not a surgery you elect but if successful it completely resolves the issue.  So now I'm stoked.  I don't need my pHd in pain management any longer.  The early recup. sucked because they needed to limit the meds so i could feel when I was in a good or bad postion which was necessary for healing.

Glad to hear it's not too serious. I have had far too many friends and relatives under the knife lately for a range of things from fairly routine procedures to deadly serious i.e. life threatening conditions. Not pleasant at all. Glad you're Ok.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:46 am

Damn Zo. Now many of your posts from the past couple years make more sense.

I honestly don't care what Daly does. He's clearly a serial idiot.

Zo, I'm sure you are insured and will pay a deductible only, but make sure to check your whole bill for the surgery. It's pretty obvious why our health care is going down the shitter. We admitted our 3 year old via the ER for an overnight about 2 months ago. Turns out it was likely that entero virus making the media rounds. He was at the hospital for about 25 hours, given OTC medication like Tylenol only, given one breathing treatment, and monitored for heart rate, blood pressure, and blood oxidation. Total cost...

over $11,000
    The Tylenol must have been magical because it cost $400 for 3 doses.
    We saw an actual doctor twice. Once for about 5 minutes upon admission, and once right before we left. They overcharge everyone because they know they are only going to be paid half the time.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:22 pm

Horseballs wrote:Damn Zo.  Now many of your posts from the past couple years make more sense.  

I honestly don't care what Daly does.  He's clearly a serial idiot.  

Zo, I'm sure you are insured and will pay a deductible only, but make sure to check your whole bill for the surgery.  It's pretty obvious why our health care is going down the shitter.  We admitted our 3 year old via the ER for an overnight about 2 months ago.  Turns out it was likely that entero virus making the media rounds.  He was at the hospital for about 25 hours, given OTC medication like Tylenol only, given one breathing treatment, and monitored for heart rate, blood pressure, and blood oxidation.  Total cost...

over $11,000
    The Tylenol must have been magical because it cost $400 for 3 doses.  
    We saw an actual doctor twice.  Once for about 5 minutes upon admission, and once right before we left.  They overcharge everyone because they know they are only going to be paid half the time.  

They thought there was fusing against a vital preventing prior removal but then discovered during the operation that wasn't true. I could've had this thing done years back had they known.

As far as your experience, my experience and our health care system, I don't even know where to begin. It is unmitigated insanity. I don't have all my bills yet but I have good coverage and have had for years. All costs will exceed $50,000 but my out-of-pocket will be less then $5000. Fuck my annual group premiums are already $9,000 and that takes into account no history. I also had something physicians were very interested in that could lead to published papers. If I bored them I would have gotten less direct contact and had less bargaining power negotiating cost. Only a fool now proceeds without negotiating cost for something like this or anything healthcare related for that matter once they become clued in.

That said my lack of contact and inability to engage my doctors was in and of itself a major problem adding to the risk of my situation. I would estimate half my non surgical care came from the Internet. The times when the issue was merely pain I might go a week before I got proper attention. Once in fact it was almost 2 weeks. I think it's fair to say no one I spoke to trying to get to the doctors really gave a shit and two thirds of them were plainly stupid. And I had top guys. Healthcare here in Utah is comparatively good.

After the surgery, one of my doctors explained that had our healthcare system not forced pegs into holes they probably would have figured out my situation years earlier. But insurance companies drive the method of care.

Part of the reason they drive the method of care so viciously is as you mention the burden from the uninsured. And by that we are talking largely illegal immigrants. No discussion of immigration law should miss the healthcare aspect along with other external costs. Plain and simple if you understand economics illegal immigration is a really bad deal for us, particularly our children. Whole nother discussion I won't really get started on.

All things considered… I have no complaints. where I am today is worth a whole lot more than what me or anyone else paid for it or had to go through. 100 years ago I would've lived the rest of my life in pain. 50 years ago I might've died in surgery. 10 years ago I would've saved maybe $5000 and our system $25,000. 10 years from now God knows if I would get any care at all for something like this. So I bought and sold a little high. I'm a lucky guy.
    trombettista_vecchio
    trombettista_vecchio

Post  trombettista_vecchio Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:54 pm

Total de-privatization of the entire health care industry is the only logical solution.

It would be hard enough to achieve if everybody wanted it.

The fact that so many Americans DON'T want it makes it impossible.

The suffering is self-inflicted and probably deserved.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:09 pm

trombettista_vecchio wrote:Total de-privatization of the entire health care industry is the only logical solution.

It would be hard enough to achieve if everybody wanted it.

The fact that so many Americans DON'T want it makes it impossible.

The suffering is self-inflicted and probably deserved.

A fair troll but the choice of the greater of two evils. To truly believe this one would have to ignore or deny the majority of facts and reality. I hate the healthcare companies too but not enough to lose my grip on reality.   Once again… you let your politics color the way the world actually can and does work, apparently out of hatred, jealousy, denial, ignorance or some combination thereof.
    californiataxes

Post  californiataxes Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:55 pm

TV's angry because opening the Soviet archives revealed that Hiss was guilty, and that the Vietnam War was fully justified (even if stupidly run). In addition, blacks turned out to have exactly the potential the "crackers" said they'd have. This hat trick of wrongness would make anyone angry.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:29 pm

Pky6471 wrote:

Thanks, Kiwi, I'm fine.  It will turn out to be a good thing which is easy to say now as the pain has now broken,  I haven't even taken Advil so far today.  I've dealt with a congenital colon condition my whole life.  Recently a full tear developed so they had to go in.  It was just like living through an episode of one of those hospital drama

Zo... I am hoping that it's not going to disrupt your upcoming X-mas/new yr holidays... hang in there sucker bounce [/quote]
    Thanks P Cool
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:01 pm

I am a bit naïve when it comes to health care law, but doctors don't have to accept people covered by insurance or Medicare/caid right? And this Hippocratic oath must be legally voluntary.
    I'd love to see a whole out of network health initiative. In essence, single payer: patient to doctor. The doctors could charge reasonable rates since the middleman (who receives a big cut, and who may deny payment) is removed. The patients pay for what they want/need only. Obviously tort reform is a big part of this, but that's true in any scenario.
    Then I would raise the limits on pre-tax health savings accounts to something like $20,000. You could still have a high deductible health plan corequisite.
    Bobby and Susie Derelict could apply for Medicaid and go to the crappy state run hospital or clinic. Or do nothing.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:17 pm

Horseballs wrote:I am a bit naïve when it comes to health care law, but doctors don't have to accept people covered by insurance or Medicare/caid right?  And this Hippocratic oath must be legally voluntary.  
    I'd love to see a whole out of network health initiative.  In essence, single payer:  patient to doctor.  The doctors could charge reasonable rates since the middleman (who receives a big cut, and who may deny payment) is removed.  The patients pay for what they want/need only.  Obviously tort reform is a big part of this, but that's true in any scenario.  
    Then I would raise the limits on pre-tax health savings accounts to something like $20,000.  You could still have a high deductible health plan corequisite.
    Bobby and Susie Derelict could apply for Medicaid and go to the crappy state run hospital or clinic.  Or do nothing.  

No, providers don't have to take all insurance and in those instances where there is some contractual obligation the standard avoidance is to schedule an appointment at least one year out. I've had to plan my insurance coverage around which of my preferred providers were okay with it. This is a voyage everyone should be undertaking.

How much do you believe in the independent network scenario? At the present… the more desired providers are scrambling to try and set up that very type of independent structure. To succeed they need a critical mass of subscribers. There are different approaches being considered by those guys to straddle the transition from where they are now to where they would like to go. It will be easier to accomplish at the high-end. The question is how much can they penetrate? If they can access the more middle strata it would upset the rest of the healthcare system and force more reform. Revolution and rebellion is underway, eventually the stupid and politically cowed media will pick up on it and you will hear more.

The Socialist government will attempt to force doctors into servitude and then it will get really interesting. If the socialists succeed there are plenty of countries that demonstrate what will follow. Basically a decline in every aspect of care, longer waits that extend to complete unavailability from a practical standpoint. If there was ever an example of killing the golden goose this is it.

But then… Socialist dogma is never grounded in what is efficient or possible but only what serves their sense of fairness. They have no problem drilling a hole in the bottom of the boat because they aren't intelligent or functional enough to understand past the first move. Politics born out of jealousy and an inferiority complex not what actually works. Not a chessplayer among them. Admit it Nifty… You can't play chess to save your life.

Capitalism will always prevail anyways. Just look at China and the Soviet Union. China is whomping our butts and will continue to do so precisely because they are allowing the free-market to prevail.

The Soviet union destroyed itself by not making it possible for there to be economic growth.  Even today being reliant on oil reserves as opposed to production the west has just managed to punish Putin and Russia for adventurism by almost halving oil prices which is virtually bankrupting that country. With producing economies the rest of the world can flourish with either high or low oil.

Anyways… As to healthcare… It doesn't have to get much worse to be awful. But it will get much worse. A perfect example of liberal politics producing bad results for almost everybody which history shows is universal.
    trombettista_vecchio
    trombettista_vecchio

Post  trombettista_vecchio Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:32 pm

Lorenzzo wrote: Once again… you let your politics color the way the world actually can and does work, apparently out of hatred, jealousy, denial, ignorance or some combination thereof.

Just hatred...none of the others.

That America is a failed experiment is now pretty evident, and so is the cause of failure--excessive faith in market solutions.

The wise course was to choose the desired result and force it to happen. Instead, we chose social Darwinism over social commitment; thus, the end of our relevance is not merely imminent but, at this point, beyond being reversed.

The nice part about being in the third act is not having to give a fuck about the future, because only hell actually existing could make it worse.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:55 pm

Lorenzzo wrote:

No, providers don't have to take all insurance and in those instances where there is some contractual obligation the standard avoidance is to schedule an appointment at least one year out. I've had to plan my insurance coverage around which of my preferred providers were okay with it. This is a voyage everyone should be undertaking.

How much do you believe in the independent network scenario? At the present… the more desired providers are scrambling to try and set up that very type of independent structure. To succeed they need a critical mass of subscribers. There are different approaches being considered by those guys to straddle the transition from where they are now to where they would like to go. It will be easier to accomplish at the high-end. The question is how much can they penetrate? If they can access the more middle strata it would upset the rest of the healthcare system and force more reform. Revolution and rebellion is underway, eventually the stupid and politically cowed media will pick up on it and you will hear more.

The Socialist government will attempt to force doctors into servitude and then it will get really interesting. If the socialists succeed there are plenty of countries that demonstrate what will follow. Basically a decline in every aspect of care, longer waits that extend to complete unavailability from a practical standpoint. If there was ever an example of killing the golden goose this is it.

But then… Socialist dogma is never grounded in what is efficient or possible but only what serves their sense of fairness. They have no problem drilling a hole in the bottom of the boat because they aren't intelligent or functional enough to understand past the first move. Politics born out of jealousy and an inferiority complex not what actually works. Not a chessplayer among them. Admit it Nifty… You can't play chess to save your life.

Capitalism will always prevail anyways. Just look at China and the Soviet Union. China is whomping our butts and will continue to do so precisely because they are allowing the free-market to prevail.

The Soviet union destroyed itself by not making it possible for there to be economic growth.  Even today being reliant on oil reserves as opposed to production the west has just managed to punish Putin and Russia for adventurism by almost halving oil prices which is virtually bankrupting that country. With producing economies the rest of the world can flourish with either high or low oil.

Anyways… As to healthcare… It doesn't have to get much worse to be awful. But it will get much worse. A perfect example of liberal politics producing bad results for almost everybody which history shows is universal.
    Not sure how much I believe in it. I could go all in pretty easily if the network of health providers existed. I am friends with a few doctors and they definitely don't like where things are headed. Expansion of Medicaid and it's very low reimbursement doesn't thrill them.

The doc who did my wife's shoulder surgery is a good friend of mine. He basically said the hospital has so much waste built in to the process which accomplished two things that shouldn't need to happen. 1) Build in multiple redundancies with regards to personnel and processes to cover their collective asses from litigation. For a simple surgery, we saw several pre-op nurses, a nurse anesthetist, a surgery assistant, the anesthesiologist, our doctor, and a post-op nurse. Plus redundant paperwork. 2) All this bullshit adds to the cost. The hospital overcharges everyone, knowing a good percentage of bills will never be paid.

Another doctor friend just quit his job as an ER doc to go full time into plastic surgery. He actually liked his ER job but got tired of the relative low pay and red tape. Now, his clients are getting elective surgery and signing waivers. Smart guy whose talents are now wasted on botox injections and skin treatments.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:29 pm

Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:

Not sure how much I believe in it.  I could go all in pretty easily if the network of health providers existed.  I am friends with a few doctors and they definitely don't like where things are headed.  Expansion of Medicaid and it's very low reimbursement doesn't thrill them.  

The doc who did my wife's shoulder surgery is a good friend of mine.  He basically said the hospital has so much waste built in to the process which accomplished two things that shouldn't need to happen.  1) Build in multiple redundancies with regards to personnel and processes to cover their collective asses from litigation.  For a simple surgery, we saw several pre-op nurses, a nurse anesthetist, a surgery assistant, the anesthesiologist, our doctor, and a post-op nurse.  Plus redundant paperwork.  2) All this bullshit adds to the cost.  The hospital overcharges everyone, knowing a good percentage of bills will never be paid.  

Another doctor friend just quit his job as an ER doc to go full time into plastic surgery.  He actually liked his ER job but got tired of the relative low pay and red tape.  Now, his clients are getting elective surgery and signing waivers.  Smart guy whose talents are now wasted on botox injections and skin treatments.  

Then there are the physicians going disability after deciding they've had it. An anesthesiologist friend of mine knows someone who did that recently. The hospital issue is unfortunately unresolvable from the guild angle of attack. If one subscribes to a private network they will also need major medical/hospital coverage. Major medical however one slices is it will comprise a large component of total cost.

It is a multi headed monster for sure. As I mentioned previously I had comparatively good care but still felt like a number and it took a whole lot of force and persistence to get a semi-reasonable response in semi critical situations.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 1:25 pm