The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

5 posters

Tight or loose?

jt1135
    jt1135

Tight or loose? Empty Tight or loose?

Post  jt1135 Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:06 pm

The course I play at is about 6000 off the whites and 6300 off the blues. Narrow fairways with trees and water. Lost 200 trees last year and it didn't change a thing.

What does eveybody else prefer?

Wide open where you can hit full shots from anywhere or if not in the fairway you'd better learn to hit alot of different shots?
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Tight or loose? Empty Re: Tight or loose?

Post  Lorenzzo Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:41 pm

I prefer tight.

Did you really have to ask?
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:22 am

Lorenzzo wrote:I prefer tight.  

Did you really have to ask?

Laughing Laughing Laughing
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:31 am

jt1135 wrote:The course I play at is about 6000 off the whites and 6300 off the blues.  Narrow fairways with trees and water.  Lost 200 trees last year and it didn't change a thing.  

Wide open where you can hit full shots from anywhere or if not in the fairway you'd better learn to hit alot of different shots?

I prefer a course to have well defined fairway landing areas so I like trees or mounding so I can set up my drives better. My roving club plays courses from tees playing about 6,000 yards. Sometimes they are front, sometimes middle, and sometimes back on different holes. I grew up playing at my father's country club course which is a parklands design built in the early 1900's. I also prefer small greens and don't mind protective bunkering so long as it is not extreme like you see with many "modern" course designs. As for wide open spaces from which you can make full swings after missing a fairway by many yards, I would rather have it set up so that you have to pay a bit by having to punch out. I don't mind water so much so long as there is ample bailout space on the other side of the water. Long forced carries over water is fine for the guys on TV every week but pure bullshit for the 99.637% of us mere mortals.

My primary peeve is "Environmental Areas" where the hydric soils live and the junk vegetation is let to grow. I know its all the green trend but the communists in government who mandate this can suck their own dicks and fucking die. If the course has so much swampland, it should have been built somewhere else.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:31 am

jt1135 wrote:The course I play at is about 6000 off the whites and 6300 off the blues.  Narrow fairways with trees and water.  Lost 200 trees last year and it didn't change a thing.  

I prefer a course to have well defined fairway landing areas so I like trees or mounding so I can set up my drives better. My roving club plays courses from tees playing about 6,000 yards. Sometimes they are front, sometimes middle, and sometimes back on different holes. I grew up playing at my father's country club course which is a parklands design built in the early 1900's. I also prefer small greens and don't mind protective bunkering so long as it is not extreme like you see with many "modern" course designs. As for wide open spaces from which you can make full swings after missing a fairway by many yards, I would rather have it set up so that you have to pay a bit by having to punch out. I don't mind water so much so long as there is ample bailout space on the other side of the water. Long forced carries over water is fine for the guys on TV every week but pure bullshit for the 99.637% of us mere mortals.

My primary peeve is "Environmental Areas" where the hydric soils live and the junk vegetation is let to grow. I know its all the green trend but the communists in government who mandate this can suck their own dicks and fucking die. If the course has so much swampland, it should have been built somewhere else.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:34 am

I play courses from 6000 to 6300, seems like 6300 do not affect my scores more so than the 6000. Chisel Creek at DE/PA border is only 5900 but there are plenty of difficult holes and lots of trouble to get into. I got my 13* 3W for those "tight but good" holes. If it's 180-yd out from the pin (off fairway) I tend to score better by sitting in front of a green than going for the green
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:56 pm

I prefer holes where the trouble dictates a shot shape off the tee. I don't mind a couple holes where there is trouble on both sides, but that would get old for 18 holes. My home course is really interesting, even though it only tips out around 6700 yards at par 71. Most holes are more easily played if you can move it two directions. The course is playable if you only have one shot shape, but you'll find some very difficult shots.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 3:02 pm