The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

3 posters

I'm Supposed to Give Free Lessons?

californiataxes

I'm Supposed to Give Free Lessons? Empty I'm Supposed to Give Free Lessons?

Post  californiataxes Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:02 pm

Yesterday I played in posh Sonoma County with three super-seniors.  Now, I'm no FD, but I couldn't miss a shot, everything went exactly where aimed, even with my tiny Macgregor blades. So after about 10 holes, the oldest guy, an 86 year-old emeritus professor of biochemistry from UCLA who was doing fine but with a few fat shots, asked me whether I'd be interested in giving him lessons.  I happen to think state retirees have it a little too sweet, so I said I might consider it for $250k. He pretended to be offended, and said he had some wisdom he could impart to me as barter.  But I got the feeling he really thought I ought to do it gratis.

And speaking of Mac blades, there's a beautiful unhit set right now on the bay, $275 BIN. They're the satin Nicklaus VIP remakes from 1990, but stamped Tourney Custom. R300 with green Crosslines. Interestingly, this listing was up about 6 weeks ago and they supposedly sold for $325, but now they pop up again.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

I'm Supposed to Give Free Lessons? Empty Re: I'm Supposed to Give Free Lessons?

Post  Mongrel Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:20 pm

'Those are nice blades. I remember them since a couple of fellow club members played them in the late '80's -- early 90's.

If I were you, I'd tell the old guy that you will give him lessons but only on courses he will get you onto that you might not otherwise be able to play and greens fees and lunch are on him.

If the guy had enough gray matter left, he'd do what I did and go on the internet for lessons to correct faults. I found a two page explanation of a currently hot PGA short game guru on chipping and pitching and used it last Saturday to shoot my lowest round of the year. I used his method and saved at least six strokes from being thrown away around the greens. I came in third and won fifty bucks which is an infinite return on my short game lesson expense.
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:17 pm

Nice story. I think you should look up Larry and find out what his pro Kevin charges him. That would be a good indicator of the going rate for golf lessons to gullible old fools.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:54 am

Maybe Kevin doesn't charge him but accepts stock market advice in barter. So Kevin's portfolio should be the equivalent of Larry's swing.
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:10 pm

Mongrel wrote:Maybe Kevin doesn't charge him but accepts stock market advice in barter. So Kevin's portfolio should be the equivalent of Larry's swing.

LOL  Smile 

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 9:45 am