The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+3
FamousDavis
Pky6471
jmtbkr
7 posters

Fresh Grips!

jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Fresh Grips! Empty Fresh Grips!

Post  jmtbkr Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:37 pm

Hey

I just finished replacing my grips - 5:30pm EST

How long should they dry until I'm good to go?

Guy at GS said 18hrs to cure.

Do I need to clean the solvent off the grips, or will it evaporate?

First lesson/attempt in fu*king up my clubs.

Oh....I didn't bother with the driver:lol: 
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Fresh Grips! Empty Re: Fresh Grips!

Post  Pky6471 Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:49 pm

jmtbkr wrote:Hey

How long should they dry until I'm good to go? ....... OVER NIGHT WOULD BE PLENTY

Do I need to clean the solvent off the grips, or will it evaporate? ..... IT WILL IF ONLY SOLVENT... IF MIXED WITH ADHESIVE FROM TAPE IT MAY LEAVE A RESIDUE... NO SWEAT

FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:57 pm

jmtbkr wrote:Hey

How long should they dry until I'm good to go?

Do I need to clean the solvent off the grips, or will it evaporate?

Actually, after installing grips you only need to wait about 2 hours. The fact that you are using a solvent over tape means that any water present is going to evaporate very quickly. If you've installed grips yourself you'll notice that it's very hard to reposition the grip just seconds after installation. That's because the solvent and the glue on the tape are interacting and already forming a strong bond. Kind of like love at first site.

Never ask an employee at Golfsmith about golf. You can ask them about drinking, bad work habits and poor customer service. They know all about those things. But golf? I'd stay clear of inquiring about anything golf related.

Case in point is that anyone who has ever installed golf grips knows that it doesn't take 18 hours to cure.
    Hubijerk
    Hubijerk

Post  Hubijerk Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:05 am

at this point you're grips should be dry, but in the future 1-2 hours should be good.... Wipe down the grips with a wet towel just to get excess dirt or whatever that may have been attracted to the solvent.

If you wish to reposition the grips like FD points out use a medical syringe/neeedle filled with solvent and inject through the grip around the area you wish to adjust and you can get it to move some, but not tons.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:55 am

Different grips dry differently. Different grip solvents act differently. The easiest grips for me to install are the Golf Pride Tour Wrap 2G's that I have on all my irons and wedges. The nastiest grips to install are the Winns since there is no "give" on the small end of the grip so you have little room to get it on the end of the butt of the club and after you do, you have to ensure that you get it pulled down with the butt cap tight on the top of the shaft butt.I use the Dri Tac Lite Wrap 1/16" oversized on my drivers and 3 woods. Through much trial and more errors, I found that having that grip and the extra little bit of diameter makes up to a 15 yard difference in driver shot direction and means the difference between a bad pull in trouble and the left side of the fairway or just a couple of feet in the rough.

Grip solvents come in several flavors. I use and like the mineral oil-based solvents and run cold water over the grip, shaft and head until most of the solvent washes off. Then I towell-dry the club and sit it propped upright to dry. The Winns dry quickly and could be ready to play within a half hour. I go through the same washing routine with the Golf Prides but let them sit for maybe two hours. Washing down the shafts and heads helps remove any dirt on the shafts and heads. The other common solvent contains naptha, a nasty chemical that is extremely flammable and is caustic. It is an excellent grip solvent but has caused rashes on my hands before I figured out that I had to wash thoroughly with soap and hot water immediately after contact.

One of the neat aspects of doing your own grips is that you can play with wraps under the grips. For my irons, I will wrap one layer of black duct tape around the shaft running five inches up from the bottom of the grip so that my right hand has a bit more grip diameter. You can also wrap some lead tape under the grip for a slight bit of counter-weighting if you are trying to dial in a swing weight.

For me, the biggest thing in re-gripping is to make sure that after the grip is on, that the butt end of the shaft is snug against the grip cap with no wobble room. That was my biggest complaint with Golf Galaxy re-grippers and a couple of years ago when I paid the guy to re-grip a driver, found that there was some wiggle at the butt end of the grip that totally screwed both the feel and my drives. In fact, that incident was the main reason I decided to try to do my own grips. That and the $4 per club and the "They'll be ready by Friday afternoon."
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:45 am

Gripping with air from a compressor, and a air blower with a nozzle is the best way to install grips, IMO.
    One of the nice things about using air, is regular masking tape can be used, no need for double sided tape. Solvent is only used for starting the grip on the shaft, so a tiny amount is used.
    If a grip is a little out of align, just stick the nozzle in the end, shoot a little air, and straighten it.
    I've removed them in the same manner to add more tape if needed, instead of having to ruin a new grip, and install a new one.
    Far superior method than slopping solvent.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:06 am

I've played with newly installed grips in about an hour with no issue.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:09 am

With grips installed with air, you can play now, immediately.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:11 am

12pierogi wrote:Gripping with air from a compressor, and a air blower with a nozzle is the best way to install grips, IMO.
    One of the nice things about using air, is regular masking tape can be used, no need for double sided tape. Solvent is only used for starting the grip on the shaft, so a tiny amount is used.
    If a grip is a little out of align, just stick the nozzle in the end, shoot a little air, and straighten it.
    I've removed them in the same manner to add more tape if needed, instead of having to ruin a new grip, and install a new one.
    Far superior method than slopping solvent.

I like the idea but could not make it work with my home 80-psi compressor. What is the trick?
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:47 am

Getting the grip over the shaft with a tiny bit of solvent.
    Once you've done that, jam the nozzle in the end of the grip, that's key also, finding a nozzle that fits the hole easily, the skinny pointed ones work better than the fat short ones.
    Don't be a quitter.
    jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:18 pm

I had the air compressor ready at hand (100psi) but didn't need it. I put the solvent in a spray bottle and lightly misted the tape and a few squirts in the grip. They slid right on and I had plenty of time to twist them into position.

This morning I cleaned them up a bit woth a wet rag and all is fine.

Only problem is I forgot to wear rubber gloves and the solvent must have absorbed into my skin......this morning I got the major trots. But all is good, nothing like loosing some extra weight!tongue 
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:56 pm

The trots are an immediate symptom of radiation poisoning. Are you sure it wasn't Heavy Water instead of grip solvent? You might have noticed a difference in cost.
    jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:21 pm

Since I've put the new grips on, I've noticed that they seem a little "small" or "narrow" compared to my other stuff.

So I was perusing the WRX site and came upon a thread where the OP said he believed he purchased 'nock-offs' made in China. A few folks responded that you could be sure they were not original Golfprides because of the price - about half of what the stores sell them vs what is typically paid on eBay. Another clue was the weight was lighter by several grams.

So....being that I paid $80 for 13 grips, I weighed one up and it actually weighed 3 grms more than mfg specs. Then I went over to GS and purchased a new grip and compared the two, side by side. The new one from the store has much bolder graphics, but all the dimentions are identical for size and weight.

Now I'm wondering if I bought counterfeits? Still can't get over the fact that they definately 'feel thinner' on the shafts vs regular grips.

I was looking at the uunistalled grips next to the installed ones and just noticed that when I slipped the grips on the shafts and pulled them down, I have stretched every grip by about 1" longer. Could this stretch have made the grip thinner, I wonder.?

Crap!, now what do I do? Remove them all and re-install them?
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:33 pm

jmtbkr wrote:Since I've put the new grips on, I've noticed that they seem a little "small" or "narrow" compared to my other stuff.

So I was perusing the WRX site and came upon a thread where the OP said he believed he purchased 'nock-offs' made in China.  A few folks responded that you could be sure they were not original Golfprides because of the price - about half of what the stores sell them vs what is typically paid on eBay. Another clue was the weight was lighter by several grams.

So....being that I paid $80 for 13 grips, I weighed one up and it actually weighed 3 grms more than mfg specs. Then I went over to GS and purchased a new grip and compared the two, side by side. The new one from the store has much bolder graphics, but all the dimentions are identical for size and weight.

Now I'm wondering if I bought counterfeits?  Still can't get over the fact that they definately 'feel thinner' on the shafts vs regular grips.

I was looking at the uunistalled grips next to the installed ones and just noticed that when I slipped the grips on the shafts and pulled them down, I have stretched every grip by about 1" longer.  Could this stretch have made the grip thinner, I wonder.?

When we buy 'stuff' on internet we take a chance of buying counterfeits, except from Amazon, certified dealers etc... Even from Amazon, I avoid 'ship from HongKong' or China. When it's too good to be true, it's 95% counterfeits... I am OK with that as long as the price is dirt cheap and won't hurt my "fun". Normally, I wait until end of season and GGalaxy has good grips on sales cheap then I buy them for future use
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:56 am

jmtbkr wrote:Since I've put the new grips on, I've noticed that they seem a little "small" or "narrow" compared to my other stuff.

So I was perusing the WRX site and came upon a thread where the OP said he believed he purchased 'nock-offs' made in China.  A few folks responded that you could be sure they were not original Golfprides because of the price - about half of what the stores sell them vs what is typically paid on eBay. Another clue was the weight was lighter by several grams.

Now I'm wondering if I bought counterfeits?  Still can't get over the fact that they definately 'feel thinner' on the shafts vs regular grips.

I was looking at the uunistalled grips next to the installed ones and just noticed that when I slipped the grips on the shafts and pulled them down, I have stretched every grip by about 1" longer.  Could this stretch have made the grip thinner, I wonder.?

I have installed a fair number of Golf Pride and Winn grips on my own clubs over the past several years and always weigh each one prior to installation. The Winn Tour Wraps on most of my clubs all weighed 48 grams in the regular size. The Winn Dri Tac mediums all weighed 25 grams. The Excell mediums all at 44 grams. So if a grip is off by more than 1 gram, its either from a bad quality control batch or its a fake.

When you stretch a grip, you make the diameter smaller. Basic geometry. But the grip should slowly un-stretch on its own while drying. If the stretched grip does not shrink back to nearly pre-stretch configuration, the grip material is likely sub-standard and the piece is counterfeit.

Now Winn grips do not stretch. And they are a b!tch to install, especially if you have any build-up tape.

As for removing them and re-using them? Personally, I'd write them off and go to your nearest GG or GS and buy some real ones.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:31 am

with $80 that U already paid and if I were U I would use them until re-grip time... I don't think they would hurt your game unless in your head U believe so disappointed 
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:30 am

I used to think that grip size and swingweights were all in your head and that a good ball striker could hit anything well. However, since I started to do my own grips and shafts and play with weighting and other stuff, I now realize that it really is in my head since how each club feels and swings is transmitted to the brain and affects each shot. After a good bit of experimentation, a difference of about 1/16" in grip diameter will mean up to a 10-15 yards left of my intended target line with driver. With the thicker grip, my pulls are reduced and I get a little bit more fade off the driver and those two factors add up to fewer strokes big time since my hole and round wreckers are dead pulls off the tees.

Another thing is that over the years owning literally hundreds of irons and woods, many of them would be great clubs but something just didn't feel right about them. Later on I realized that a lot of that was due to grip size and/or weight. You can have a club that feels too head-heavy and not be able to hit it well at all. But put a thicker grip on it or use tape to build up the grip thickness, and all of a sudden that club feels perfect. On the other hand, I've bought used clubs, both woods and irons, that felt too light with not enough head feel. Change to a thinner or lighter grip and all of a sudden its the perfect club. At least for awhile.

Another thing I've been doing is installing one or two wraps of black duct tape under the bottom five inches of my grips. This builds up the thickness where my right hand goes and allows me to choke down a good bit on the club when I want to take a little distance and height off the shots. For me, it makes for much more solid choked down shots and is great when you're not swinging that well and you want an immediate on-course improvement in ball striklng, especially with the irons.
    jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:59 pm

Mongrel wrote:I used to think that grip size and swingweights were all in your head and that a good ball striker could hit anything well. However, since I started to do my own grips and shafts and play with weighting and other stuff, I now realize that it really is in my head since how each club feels and swings is transmitted to the brain and affects each shot. After a good bit of experimentation, a difference of about 1/16" in grip diameter will mean up to a 10-15 yards left of my intended target line with driver. With the thicker grip, my pulls are reduced and I get a little bit more fade off the driver and those two factors add up to fewer strokes big time since my hole and round wreckers are dead pulls off the tees.

Another thing is that over the years owning literally hundreds of irons and woods, many of them would be great clubs but something just didn't feel right about them. Later on I realized that a lot of that was due to grip size and/or weight. You can have a club that feels too head-heavy and not be able to hit it well at all. But put a thicker grip on it or use tape to build up the grip thickness, and all of a sudden that club feels perfect. On the other hand, I've bought used clubs, both woods and irons, that felt too light with not enough head feel. Change to a thinner or lighter grip and all of a sudden its the perfect club. At least for awhile.

Another thing I've been doing is installing one or two wraps of black duct tape under the bottom five inches of my grips. This builds up the thickness where my right hand goes and allows me to choke down a good bit on the club when I want to take a little distance and height off the shots. For me, it makes for much more solid choked down shots and is great when you're not swinging that well and you want an immediate on-course improvement in ball striklng, especially with the irons.
    I absolutely agree with you. That's why I said I could feel that the grips felt thinner, and therefor thought I had purchased fakes. I believe the thinness issue is most likely due to my strectching the grips out when I installed them, thus making the diameter smaller. I had put a wrap of duct tape on the irons before the grip tape, but afterwards I didn't feel like it was 'thicker'.
    Playing in Florida all last week, I immediately noticed the new grips I put on the X20's were 'right' and there was something wrong with the grips I just put on the TA's. My search led me to the thread about bogus grips, but I still think it might be attributed to my incorrect installation.
    I shall remove one or two and re-install without stretching them.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:33 pm

I haven't found a Golf Pride Tour Wrap 2G (the shiny looking ones that are now $4.49 each at Golf Galaxy) that hasn't returned to its original length and diameter after stretching it a bit on installation. Just to ensure that the grip's butt cap is snug against the butt of the shaft. Now I have on one occasion mistakenly selected one of those that was undersized at .580" diamter versus the regular .600" diameter and that one definitely felt more narrow. I find that I have to look closely at every grip I select because they are often in the wrong bins.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:36 pm

Mongrel wrote:I haven't found a Golf Pride Tour Wrap 2G (the shiny looking ones that are now $4.49 each at Golf Galaxy) that hasn't returned to its original length and diameter after stretching it a bit on installation. Just to ensure that the grip's butt cap is snug against the butt of the shaft. Now I have on one occasion mistakenly selected one of those that was undersized at .580" diamter versus the regular .600" diameter and that one definitely felt more narrow. I find that I have to look closely at every grip I select because they are often in the wrong bins.
    http://www.grips4less.com/products/golf-pride-mens-tour-wrap-2g?utm_source=googlepla&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=CJ2Uj5GbtbkCFVOe4AodnUwA2w

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 1:56 am