The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+6
FamousDavis
trombettista_vecchio
Lorenzzo
Pky6471
BBQpig
Hubijerk
10 posters

Bourbon fans?

Hubijerk
    Hubijerk

Bourbon fans? Empty Bourbon fans?

Post  Hubijerk Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:21 am

Bourbon is my favorite stuff, some like Scotch, some like Vodka (me 2, Jewel of Russia is my fav but pound for pound it's hard to beat Kettle One), but Bourbon has my heart... My favorite is Jefferson's, in fact I'm sipping the stuff on ice while I'm cleaning my clubs and watching the new GI Joe, Vegas is nuts I tell ya.  Not super expensive, very smooth, very unique flavor, they're presidential 18 year old Bourbon is pretty damn solid but at 125$ a bottle it kind of defeats the historical principle purpose of bourbon, but their plain old regular stuff is outstanding.  Any other Bourbon fans?
    BBQpig
    BBQpig

Bourbon fans? Empty Re: Bourbon fans?

Post  BBQpig Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:26 am

Woodford reserve, Bookers, Basil Hayden's, Bakers is nice also. Anything over  50 a bottle I'm out usually. I guess your talking about Jefferson reserve? Which I like, but not at 125 for 18 year old which I've never seen. A very good cheaper bourbon is old charter 8,10,12 year old.
    I'm not a big fan of Canadian whiskey.

Like you over ice, maybe a splash of water on the first one, nothing but ice from then on.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:48 am

Hennesey XO or Crown Royal XR for me... I don't drink much so I could afford the finest in life. $150+/XO bottle would last me a yr
    or V8+Vodka
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:03 pm

I've been through plenty of drink phases but these days I'm committed to alcohol no more than twice a week and often not at all. Today I'm just about to take a bike ride (road) over to Oakley and back. The biking is so much more fun when i've been practicing sobriety. Weed doesn't seem to be a problem however. By the way, I have a new road bike, a Specialized Allez Comp. I'm loving it.

There is a distillery in Park City with a couple of great bars right inside the building, part of which is an old livery stable with the fascia preserved. It's one of my favorite drinking holes and you can sample the goods there as well as their small plates which are excellent.

The offerings are the type that might appeal to the bourbon fan. My favorite is Campfire - a rye and scotch blend. The name of the distillery and brand is High West.

http://www.highwest.com/

Hubijerk
    Hubijerk

Post  Hubijerk Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:05 pm

Lorenzo, I'll be heading up that way when the snow starts flying for some boarding, I'll check that place out. I sold my roadie, bought a RIP 9 to replace my carbon cannondale that got ripped off, real happy with that... and I'll be picking up something for the road after I close on the house I just bought out here. I never road the Allez but I took Tarmac with dura ace out for a rip and liked it, there are just too many wannabe's here in Vegas riding Specialized and I like to be different. Road riding just isn't as much fun here in Vegas as it was back in PA. Neither is mtn. biking for that matter.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:26 pm

If you like to bike, do yourself a favor and come up here in the summer or fall.  It's bike paradise.  Hundreds of miles of great trails both road and mountain as well as lift serviced terrain.  Link to some of my favorite mb rides below.  There are a whole lot of bike camps and manufacturers here right now releasing new models to the biking community.  Most days during the summer at Thaynes you can demo bikes the public won't see for another 3 or 4 months.

Major suckage getting a Cannondale ripped off.  I was looking at a Lefty carbon recently, one of the most sublime feeling mountain bikes I've ever ridden.  I got a deal on both road and mountain bikes by going Specialized and both were on my short list.  The Stumpfucker FSR Carbon 29 is an awesome ride for the money and there's not much that can touch an Allez near its price range IMO if you want a carbon fork with an aluminum frame.  It's heavy (20lbs) but very fast with the same geometry as the fancier Tarmac.  I'll be changing wheels, cranks and brakes to get lighter but I don't need a 14 lb. bike, just one that's fast.

I seldom race and I don't pretend to be a racer. First, I'm not that good, second, I'm kinda old and third, I bike for fun and that's what it's all about.  If fun means entering a race I'll do it but I don't take it seriously.  In Park City you don't get the status/brand whores you get in a lot of places (i.e. Vegas, Orange County) so you can be free to choose whatever you like or get a good deal on.  No one gives a shit what you wear, drive or ride here.  People that do are less likely to come here to live.

Give me a shout when you're here.

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/idx-parkcity.htm
    trombettista_vecchio
    trombettista_vecchio

Post  trombettista_vecchio Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:45 pm

I drank Jack Daniel and Wild Turkey when I was a kid, then switched to Haig Pinch Scotch, but don't touch the stuff anymore. Now it's just wine with dinner, Sambuca in my coffee, and the occasional brew when it's really hot.

I'll also do one of those sissy umbrella drinks on a cruise ship or in a Chinese restaurant.

Bourbon, Scotch, and the like are beyond what my aged stomach will tolerate anymore, however.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:28 pm

I was at Starbucks yesterday and for the first time ordered a cold drink. I got the double chocolate chip Frappacino. It was awesome. Why would you sip disgusting bourbon when you can have a drink like that? I think bourbon is kind of like Scotch...it's considered a cool drink because it's so nasty that only the toughest of men could acquire a taste for it. Nobody actually likes drinking it. It's for those who need to prove something.
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:41 am

FamousDavis wrote:I was at Starbucks yesterday and for the first time ordered a cold drink.   I got the double chocolate chip Frappacino.  It was awesome.  Why would you sip disgusting bourbon when you can have a drink like that?  I think bourbon is kind of like Scotch...it's considered a cool drink because it's so nasty that only the toughest of men could acquire a taste for it.   Nobody actually likes drinking it.   It's for those who need to prove something.

You might be onto something FD ... come to think of it Hubijerk does play GFF blades too.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:56 am

Kiwigolfer wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:I was at Starbucks yesterday and for the first time ordered a cold drink.   I got the double chocolate chip Frappacino.  It was awesome.  Why would you sip disgusting bourbon when you can have a drink like that?  I think bourbon is kind of like Scotch...it's considered a cool drink because it's so nasty that only the toughest of men could acquire a taste for it.   Nobody actually likes drinking it.   It's for those who need to prove something.

You might be onto something FD ... come to think of it Hubijerk does play GFF blades too.

Actually, it was just a poor attempt to troll on my part. I thought it would bring out Poe right away.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:40 pm

FamousDavis wrote:
    Kiwigolfer wrote:

Actually, it was just a poor attempt to troll on my part.  I thought it would bring out Poe right away.
    It's becoming downright impossible to troll anyone these days. I was hoping maybe edgey would come back for the BO.
    Poe4soul
    Poe4soul

Post  Poe4soul Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:03 pm

FamousDavis wrote:
    Kiwigolfer wrote:

Actually, it was just a poor attempt to troll on my part.  I thought it would bring out Poe right away.

I read it and it didn't surprise me that you like a frappacino and didn't like bourbon. Based on past comments, if I had to guess what you like to eat or drink, I'd just imagine what teenage girl would like. Drinks, I'd guess you like tic-tacs, sweet white wine, and lighter beer, either a lager or maybe a pils if it's not too hoppy and served nearly frozen.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:29 pm

Poe4soul wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:
    Kiwigolfer wrote:

I read it and it didn't surprise me that you like a frappacino and didn't like bourbon.  Based on past comments, if I had to guess what you like to eat or drink, I'd just imagine what teenage girl would like. Drinks, I'd guess you like tic-tacs, sweet white wine, and lighter beer, either a lager or maybe a pils if it's not too hoppy and served nearly frozen.  

Actually, you proved my point. You are not dissimilar to many of the guys I run into on a daily basis. These men are confused. They desperately want to belong and will eat, drink, read and watch whatever is considered cool by other men. In general, this means drinking the darkest beer possible, liking scotch and whiskey and never admitting to enjoying popular music.

It's actually the norm so I guess you can consider yourself an average guy. Congrats.
    Poe4soul
    Poe4soul

Post  Poe4soul Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:51 pm

FamousDavis wrote:
    Poe4soul wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:
    Kiwigolfer wrote:

I read it and it didn't surprise me that you like a frappacino and didn't like bourbon.  Based on past comments, if I had to guess what you like to eat or drink, I'd just imagine what teenage girl would like. Drinks, I'd guess you like tic-tacs, sweet white wine, and lighter beer, either a lager or maybe a pils if it's not too hoppy and served nearly frozen.  

Actually, you proved my point.  You are not dissimilar to many of the guys I run into on a daily basis.  These men are confused.  They desperately want to belong and will eat, drink, read and watch whatever is considered cool by other men.   In general, this means drinking the darkest beer possible, liking scotch and whiskey and never admitting to enjoying popular music.  

It's actually the norm so I guess you can consider yourself an average guy.  Congrats.  

No, it means you have a palette of a 16 year old. Most peoples taste evolve as they get older. Apparently yours has not.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:39 pm

Poe4soul wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:
    Poe4soul wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:
    Kiwigolfer wrote:

Actually, you proved my point.  You are not dissimilar to many of the guys I run into on a daily basis.  These men are confused.  They desperately want to belong and will eat, drink, read and watch whatever is considered cool by other men.   In general, this means drinking the darkest beer possible, liking scotch and whiskey and never admitting to enjoying popular music.  

It's actually the norm so I guess you can consider yourself an average guy.  Congrats.  

No, it means you have a palette of a 16 year old. Most peoples taste evolve as they get older.  Apparently yours has not.  

There is no such thing as a person's taste evolving. That's nonsense and you should know better.

The only reason people "aquire" a taste for stuff like scotch, whiskey or stanky dark beer is associative conditioning. The brain equates drinking those drinks with two feelings: 1) a feeling of calmness and relaxation caused by the alcohol and 2) a feeling of belonging with other men (sort of a fraternal thing) as a result of braving through the awful and harsh taste. It's a manly thing.

Unlike you, I am a free man. I'm not imprisoned by the need to be one of the guys and drink the right beer. I lay up on most par 5s, I drink Bud Light and I prefer a Starbucks Frappacino to scotch or bourbon. I don't equate being a man to drinking dark beer or liking harsh alcohol.

In reality, you are the person trapped in the mind of a 16 year old.
    FreakOfNature
    FreakOfNature

Post  FreakOfNature Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:53 pm

FamousDavis wrote:
    Poe4soul wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:
    Poe4soul wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:
    Kiwigolfer wrote:

No, it means you have a palette of a 16 year old. Most peoples taste evolve as they get older.  Apparently yours has not.  

There is no such thing as a person's taste evolving.  That's nonsense and you should know better.  

The only reason people "aquire" a taste for stuff like scotch, whiskey or stanky dark beer is associative conditioning.   The brain equates drinking those drinks with two feelings:  1) a feeling of calmness and relaxation caused by the alcohol and 2) a feeling of belonging with other men (sort of a fraternal thing) as a result of braving through the awful and harsh taste.  It's a manly thing.  

Unlike you, I am a free man.  I'm not imprisoned by the need to be one of the guys and drink the right beer.  I lay up on most par 5s, I drink Bud Light and I prefer a Starbucks Frappacino to scotch or bourbon.   I don't equate being a man to drinking dark beer or liking harsh alcohol.  

In reality, you are the person trapped in the mind of a 16 year old.  

You know, it's not too often that I agree with FD on matters of taste, but when it comes to drinks I think he's pretty close to spot on. The only thing I disagree on is the motive for consuming such awful tasting beverages. I don't think the MO is necessarily to be so-called "manly", I believe it's like how we choose our clothes or our cars - it's how we choose to portray ourselves as drinkers. Drinking bourbon or scotch is seen as being "sophisticated" whereas drinking Budweiser will equate you to trailer trash alcoholics who buy beer with their welfare checks. It's an image thing, like being seen out at the pub drinking one of those umbrella cocktails, or giving the valet the keys to your Dodge Aries, or having some guy at the urinal laugh at how small your cock is. All it really says about you is that you give a crap what random other people think of you. In a way, it's an affirmation of personal narcissism.

I'm not really into the whole competing for status thing personally, I just do my own thing and don't feel any need to endorse my choices or fit into some club or group. I drink Labatt Blue as my go-to beer (sometimes mix it up with Labatt Extra Dry when I can find it), I don't care what anyone thinks of my taste in beer - hey, you don't like it then that's more for me. Don't get me wrong - I'm competitive... but you don't win any more style points for booze preference than you do for being able to color-coordinate your shoes, socks, and pants. Assigning merit based on something so trivial seems rather absurd to me. Now if you're talking blades vs. cavity backs you could be on to something. Laughing 

Anyways... Bourbon fans? Mj-thriller-popcorn-o
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:03 am

Geez FD & FON what's with all the grog drinking psychoanalysis?

The OP likes Bourbon. So do a few others that chimed in. I don't personally but I don't have any trouble accepting that they do. What's the big freaking deal?
    Hubijerk
    Hubijerk

Post  Hubijerk Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:02 am

Kiwigolfer wrote:

Ha... Looks like the gig is up... I've always liked bourbon, not so much scotch... But bourbon was the first stuff I really drank and I started somewhere around 14ish, in fact me and my golf team polished off a big bottle of Evan Williams the night before the final round of the state championship, after taking all of the other teams money in a winner take all poker game that went till 5 am me and another player polished off the last of that bottle before we got in 2 hours of sleep and headed to the tee... I was still drunk when I teed off and started to get a headache around hole 8... quick stop in the shop for some advil and Gatorade and I was good to go, won by 3 strokes. I guess I play better when I'm wasted. My teammate, didn't hold up so well, he started teh day in 2nd, he finished out of the top 10.... He did win all the money though which I think totaled over 400 dollars.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:48 am

I work in the heart of bourbon country, a par 5 away from one of the largest distilleries in the Commonwealth of KY. Buffalo Trace, which makes Van Winkle among other bourbons. People down in KY love the stuff. I think it's OK, though I'm not a huge liquor drinker. I have Evan Williams, Woodford and Makers at the house. I'll have a couple fingers over ice every now and then.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:06 am

I don't like cold libation unless it's beer. Bourbon at room temp tastes like medicine to me. Kind of like diluted cough syrup with a hint of laxative. Scotch works well at room temp, but man it rots your gut. So during my last phase I was drinking Scotch but splashing it down a few times. Still rotted my gut after a couple of days in a row. This summer it's more beer than anything. It's refreshing.
    BBQpig
    BBQpig

Post  BBQpig Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:08 am

I always wondered what a 1,000 dollar mint Julip at the Kentucky derby tasted like. Made from Woodford reserve masters collection.
    The mint Julip for the masses is made from Evan Williams.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:14 am

Horseballs wrote:I work in the heart of bourbon country, a par 5 away from one of the largest distilleries in the Commonwealth of KY.  Buffalo Trace, which makes Van Winkle among other bourbons.  People down in KY love the stuff.  I think it's OK, though I'm not a huge liquor drinker.  I have Evan Williams, Woodford and Makers at the house.  I'll have a couple fingers over ice every now and then.  

Hey, by the way, since I've been in Utah I've been covered home and auto by Cincinnati Insurance. I realize decent jobs are hard to come by in the rust bowl/Appalachia so I wanted you to know I'm doing my part. That said, by the sound of their accents they may have moved some of your guys to India.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:38 am

Lorenzzo wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:I work in the heart of bourbon country, a par 5 away from one of the largest distilleries in the Commonwealth of KY.  Buffalo Trace, which makes Van Winkle among other bourbons.  People down in KY love the stuff.  I think it's OK, though I'm not a huge liquor drinker.  I have Evan Williams, Woodford and Makers at the house.  I'll have a couple fingers over ice every now and then.  

Hey, by the way, since I've been in Utah I've been covered home and auto by Cincinnati Insurance.  I realize decent jobs are hard to come by in the rust bowl/Appalachia so I wanted you to know I'm doing my part.  That said, by the sound of their accents they may have moved some of your guys to India.
    Thanks, I'll pass on your thanks to Cincinnati Insurance whenever I see them next.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:00 am

Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:

Hey, by the way, since I've been in Utah I've been covered home and auto by Cincinnati Insurance.  I realize decent jobs are hard to come by in the rust bowl/Appalachia so I wanted you to know I'm doing my part.  That said, by the sound of their accents they may have moved some of your guys to India.
    Thanks, I'll pass on your thanks to Cincinnati Insurance whenever I see them next.  

Cool. In fact, since you're taking messages, you might also mention I'm all electronic. No paper. None. If I want a hard copy of something they send me I'll print it. And they need to make it easier to have automatic e-pay. I had to call twice. Don't want to spend any more time dealing with things like insurance than I have to. They should think of me as the coming wave. If they can't keep me happy, they'll fail.

Thanks again for agreeing to be my liaison for my insurance. I think my coverages with the umbrella are ok for now.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:57 am

Here's my communication so far. I think it's going well.

-------------------------------------
    Horseballs said
    Hey Cincinnati Insurance, it's me again, Horseballs. Zo in SLC has so some suggestions about going paperless and making e-pay easier to use. He's pretty important and doesn't like to spend time on insurance. LOL.

Cincinnati Insurance said
    Good one Horseballs. I'll make sure that some glitch changes his coverage and overbills him. We'll probably require some signed papers by snail mail to get his policy fixed. Then some faxes. I love screwing around with self-righteous pricks who inflate their self worth.

Horseballs said
    Hahahaha! Have fun. HB out.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 6:44 am