The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+4
Pky6471
Mongrel
Horseballs
FamousDavis
8 posters

Bubba Watson - loveable redneck or just a big, spoiled crybaby?

FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Bubba Watson - loveable redneck or just a big, spoiled crybaby? Empty Bubba Watson - loveable redneck or just a big, spoiled crybaby?

Post  FamousDavis Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:20 pm

I had DVR'd the last round of the Travelers and fast-forwarded to the final 6 holes to watch.   Bubba was leading the tournament and hit into the water on 16.  He was heard on TV as saying "you've got to be kidding me!!".   Next, he drops in the drop area and hits his next shot over the green and yells at his caddy "you're telling me that's 125 yards!!!"

Bubba Watson is famous for having on-course meltdowns and for blaming his caddy for everything.  Yesterday we finally saw and heard it on national TV.   Why does this hillbilly always get a pass?   It seems to me that rednecks and those alike tend to get a pass for drunken behavior, poor behavior on the course and just overall stupidity. 

Meanwhile, guys like Rory Mcilroy get's a bunch of crap simply for bending the shaft of his own wedge.  

Hey Bubba...you hit the shot, not your caddy.   Stop crying like a little baby everytime you win a tournament and suck it up when you throw one away. 

Bubba carded a 6 on that Par 3 and was out of the tournament. 

The playoff between Ken Duke and that ultra-hyper other guy was a great one to watch.   I'm so happy for Ken Duke.  44 years old and he wins his first tournament.  Pure class all the way.   Well, up until the end when he stared into the camera and did a fist pump and then held a bottle of Coke up to the camera.  Why do guys do that? 

Also, you may not believe this but I'm starting to dislike Tiger.  I heard a true story from the father of a guy who works as a waiter for a posh restaurant in Jupiter, FL.   Tiger and his enterouge ate at the restaurant and the bill was over $800.   The owner of the restaurant comped the bill so Tiger didn't have to pay anything.   Tiger walked up to the waiter and told him "I'll get you next time".   This story is from a guy I played golf with last week and his son is the waiter.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Bubba Watson - loveable redneck or just a big, spoiled crybaby? Empty Re: Bubba Watson - loveable redneck or just a big, spoiled crybaby?

Post  Horseballs Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:57 pm

He's a b!tch.  He cries way too often.  He also doesn't drink, and I don't trust people who have never had a drink. 
    I didn't watch the Travelers so I don't know what you're talking about.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Bubba Watson - loveable redneck or just a big, spoiled crybaby? Empty Re: Bubba Watson - loveable redneck or just a big, spoiled crybaby?

Post  Mongrel Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:31 pm

I give him kudos for the way he plays the game working the ball with every club every which way. And also because he is the best-dressed member of the PGA Tour.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:01 pm

Mongrel wrote:I give him kudos for the way he plays the game working the ball with every club every which way. And also because he is the best-dressed member of the PGA Tour.
    he could win more if he works the ball only when he has to, it's obvious that he does not know how to hit it straight
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:27 pm

I've put some more thought into this.  Actually, the typical caddy who schlepps a bag makes anywhere from 7% to 10% of the players take home pay.  If Bubba earned $500,000 for coming in second then his caddy took home $35,000 just for toting a bag around and knowing yardage.  That caddy had better be able to take whatever abuse the player wishes to bestow upon him.  Sometimes a player needs a punching bag and the caddy should be ready to take it.  Not to mention the fact that caddies do make mistakes and should pay dearly for them when made.
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:26 am

FamousDavis wrote:
    Also, you may not believe this but I'm starting to dislike Tiger.  I heard a true story from the father of a guy who works as a waiter for a posh restaurant in Jupiter, FL.   Tiger and his enterouge ate at the restaurant and the bill was over $800.   The owner of the restaurant comped the bill so Tiger didn't have to pay anything.   Tiger walked up to the waiter and told him "I'll get you next time".   This story is from a guy I played golf with last week and his son is the waiter.

What is that supposed to mean? "I'll get you next time?" What did Tiger mean?

Had the waiter done something wrong? Further explanation required FD? Or did he mean he would tip him next time?
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:08 am

Kiwigolfer wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:

What is that supposed to mean? "I'll get you next time?" What did Tiger mean?

Had the waiter done something wrong? Further explanation required FD? Or did he mean he would tip him next time?

It means he'd tip the waiter next time.  Basically Tiger just stiffed the waiter.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:24 am

Tiger may have little control over that type of behavior. If you have ever worked in retail food service, it is a well known fact that black people as a group are notorious for leaving small tips or not tipping at all. The amateur shrink in me intuits this to vestiges of slavery that seems to have seeped into their DNA.

In the Denny's east of Annapolis right off U.S. Route 50 just wesst of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, a group of African American U.S. Secret Service agents were allegedly treated poorly by their waitress. So poorly, in fact, that they sued the Denny's corporate ownership for the alleged discrimination. This was back in the 1980's, as I recall, or maybe early '90's. What was so funny to me was that it was my experience having dined at various and sundry Denny's from San Diego to New Jersey was that Denny's service sucked for everyone regardless of race, creed, skin color, height, weight, religious preference, sexual preference, blood type, intelligence quotient, political affiliation, favorite sports team, etc.

So maybe Tiger should have a "personal assistant" accompany him whenever he goes out in public. One who has a corporate TW credit card and handles all the details like paying the bill and tips whether they are merited or not.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:27 am

maybe TW had paid cheaply to having sex with his previous lovers?  $50 a shot? Not to offend anyone, by I found the real Indian from India is very poor in giving out tips...and yet they expect U to tip them when U go to Indian restaurants. I avoid going to Indian restaurants when possible.... I tip based on their services, from 10% for average services to 20% for excellent services.  They don't accept tips in China, not yet anyway...
    Mongrel wrote:Tiger may have little control over that type of behavior. If you have ever worked in retail food service, it is a well known fact that black people as a group are notorious for leaving small tips or not tipping at all. The amateur shrink in me intuits this to vestiges of slavery that seems to have seeped into their DNA.

In the Denny's east of Annapolis right off U.S. Route 50 just wesst of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, a group of African American U.S. Secret Service agents were allegedly treated poorly by their waitress. So poorly, in fact, that they sued the Denny's corporate ownership for the alleged discrimination. This was back in the 1980's, as I recall, or maybe early '90's. What was so funny to me was that it was my experience having dined at various and sundry Denny's from San Diego to New Jersey was that Denny's service sucked for everyone regardless of race, creed, skin color, height, weight, religious preference, sexual preference, blood type, intelligence quotient, political affiliation, favorite sports team, etc.

So maybe Tiger should have a "personal assistant" accompany him whenever he goes out in public. One who has a corporate TW credit card and handles all the details like paying the bill and tips whether they are merited or not.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:33 am

Shoneys got sued for employment discrimination back in the 90's.  If an applicant was black, the person taking the application would color in the "o" on the header in Shoneys.  Those applicants were only allowed to work the kitchen.  One of the only memories I have from business school. 
    I think Tiger is just cheap.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:55 am

I think it's a combination of being cheap and being shunned at an early age at golf courses.  He and his father Earl used to go to the Navy Course at Seal Beach, CA and were not treated very nicely.  He was also told that he couldn't play at one course when he was on the high school team.  That's one thing most of us cannot relate to and if I experienced that myself I would probably be just as smug to reporters, waiters and people in general as he is.  He knows the only reason he's acknowledged is because of his fame. 

Getting back to Bubba...he is NOT the best dressed.   That would go to Hunter Mahan.  Joking.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:17 am

At least he doesn't wear those clubmaker's shirts with all the junk on them and I assume that Ping does not peddle apparel so good on them too. Some of those shirts the other guys wear are almost laughable. Like the ones with those crooked lines on the backs the run from the shoulders down to the small of the back. Sort of like where a guy would place his hands when he was taking the wearer from behind.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:19 am

The whole voluntary tipping concept is an interesting part of social behavior in America.  In Europe and Asia cost of service is included in the cost of the meal.  Don't get me wrong, I'm surprised given Darwinism anyone tips but the game is what it is and can be illuminating.  When I waited on tables I divided people into categories as tippers:

1.  Empathetic  -  These people were rare but they strongly empathized with others and would usually tip above the level of service.  I say above the level of service rather than 15 or 18% because waiters realize sometimes their service sucked.  It could have been kitchen back-up, too many tables or a hangover but at those times expectations adjust.

2.  Homies  -  Don't know if they grease LaDamont but black people sure as s.hit ain't tipping whitey.

3.   Timid & Insecure Men  -  The' dominant trait here is fear.  They're worried the next moment promises calamity so they aren't about to give you any of their typically meager nest egg, although while most had little in the bank, some had plenty of money.

4.   Most Women  -   You learn as a waiter most women feel entitled.  They expect things, particularly from men, without having to pay for them.  Learning this couldn't have helped my tendency to avoid commitment.  In group, women turn their entitlement towards women, expecting friends to pay for them to some extent.  It certainly isn't a responsibility instinct that leads them ti tip anything at all, it's purely concern over what the other women will think or say about them.

5.  Cubans  -  I don't think i ever actually served one but I referred to those who had no real understanding of custom, manners or much else that way.  More often than not a low tipper but sometimes ridiculously generous, as though they couldn't do the calculation.

6.  Secure Men  -  The best customers.  These guys tipped off their core beliefs.  Usually that meant big tips but sometimes nothing if it fit their core belief.  They are the only group that doesn't really care what you or anyone thinks, so as a waiter you can't use guilt to get a bigger tip.  A warm thank you at the end would likely backfire by providing proof of form over substance.  Those in group 3 might try to convince you and them they are in 6, but the fact that they defend means they aren't.

7.  Asian  -  Weh, massa, I go an fetch you sumpin buh deah ain't no way I'm gonna git paid.

8.  Famous People  -  I graced your s.hitty establishment with my presence, you should be paying me.  Tiger isn't the only one.  Seriously, it's why Tiger doesn't tip.  He feels shortchanged you got him for a few without it costing you anything.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:43 am

Your #8 made me re-think my opinion of the TW situation. And now that I think of it, here's a world-famous guy who gets a million or more bucks to appear in  golf tournaments on some barren desert wasteland only populated by literate goat-eating-and-fornicating tribes due to the viscous motion-lotion precursor flowing underneath the silica grains. So when he picks out an eating establishment domestically and does not gratuitize the worker-bees, he is thinking that if he were in the restaurant owner's shoes, he would be real damn grateful that an actual Major League Big Deal Guy would pass through the threshhold to partake of some overpriced cuisine nouveax gruel. Like they should pay him. Just like decrepid former major league baseball players get paid to sit on their fattened glutes for a couple of hours on a Sat. or Sun. in some hotel conference room signing beat up baseballs and bubble gum cards. Fore left
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:11 pm

I had some NFL players frequent my place post-season back in the day.  Didn't take long to figure out you were getting stiffed.  At that age I thought of my mouth as a weapon capable of going toe to toe with a linebacker.  So when an Oakland Raider ML showed up as a repeat customer with a chick he was trying to impress, I decided to explore the boundary of what might get my ass kicked.  I started by giving him the needle, then moved on to his intelligence and then his appearance.  Subtle but unmistakable.

Towards the end of the meal he left the table and confronted me.  I explained I was getting tired of getting stiffed by him and his NFL friends, that I couldn't give two fucks that they were football players, only that I had to serve them for nothing and it sucked and my only compensation was having fun giving back to them. I told him there'd be a day he'd need someone and the universe works on karma.

He smiled and stuffed a $20 in my pocket and apologized for last time.  True story.  This guy was built like the Arc De Triumph, he could have killed me with one body slam and I think he ran a sub 6 50.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:23 pm

Great story. I assume you meant "sub 4:50" instead of "sub 6:50" as the latter would get you caught by the chubbiest donut-munching flatfoot in the Borough.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:44 pm

Mongrel wrote:Great story. I assume you meant "sub 4:50" instead of "sub 6:50" as the latter would get you caught by the chubbiest donut-munching flatfoot in the Borough.
    Sub 6.0 seconds in the 50 is fast, no?
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:52 pm

Lorenzzo wrote:
    Mongrel wrote:Great story. I assume you meant "sub 4:50" instead of "sub 6:50" as the latter would get you caught by the chubbiest donut-munching flatfoot in the Borough.

Meters or yards?  NFL always measures the 40yd dash in the combine.  Unless you meant 4:50 in the mile, which is excellent in its discipline, though not really a measure of top speed.  Face it, most people could keep up that pace for some distance.  If you meant a 6:50 mile, well that's just not too impressive.  Sure, it's not bad for a 40 something accountant to break a 7 minute mile, but an NFL LB wouldn't be bragging about that time.  And running a 5K at a 7 min/mile pace isn't going to get you under 20 minutes for the race.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:54 pm

Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:

Meters or yards?  NFL always measures the 40yd dash in the combine.  Unless you meant 4:50 in the mile, which is excellent in its discipline, though not really a measure of top speed.  Face it, most people could keep up that pace for some distance.  If you meant a 6:50 mile, well that's just not too impressive.  Sure, it's not bad for a 40 something accountant to break a 7 minute mile, but an NFL LB wouldn't be bragging about that time.  And running a 5K at a 7 min/mile pace isn't going to get you under 20 minutes for the race.
    Both.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:04 pm

Lorenzzo wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:

Both.

Pretty good in both, I'd assume.  Just doing the math, a 6 second 50 yard dash is a 4.8 second 40 yard dash, which is just OK for a LB.  A 6 second 50 meter dash equates to a 4.4 second 40 yard dash, which is elite for a WR or CB.  Granted, I don't think you can just assume that adding 10 yards would increase the time in a predictable manner.  The start/acceleration to full speed only takes place once in both distances.  That said, a 6.0 sec 50 yard dash is not terribly impressive.  A 6.0 sec 50 meter dash is impressive.  Clear?
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:19 pm

Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:

Both.

Pretty good in both, I'd assume.  Just doing the math, a 6 second 50 yard dash is a 4.8 second 40 yard dash, which is just OK for a LB.  A 6 second 50 meter dash equates to a 4.4 second 40 yard dash, which is elite for a WR or CB.  Granted, I don't think you can just assume that adding 10 yards would increase the time in a predictable manner.  The start/acceleration to full speed only takes place once in both distances.  That said, a 6.0 sec 50 yard dash is not terribly impressive.  A 6.0 sec 50 meter dash is impressive.  Clear?
    Here are the world records. 

50 yards:    5.22

50 meters:      5.56

Let me be more specific then.  When I originally said "I think he ran a sub 6 50", please delete that and insert  "I think he ran something like a 5.6 in the 50 meters and a 5.9 in the 50 yard dash, although I'm just throwing out numbers, my point really is he was really fast.  I might have said fast as a greyhound, or fast as a cheetah and perhaps I should have as the lack of numbers might not fire up your inner bean counter."
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:40 pm

Lorenzzo wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:

Both.

Here are the world records. 

50 yards:    5.22

50 meters:      5.56

Let me be more specific then.  When I originally said "I think he ran a sub 6 50", please delete that and insert  "I think he ran something like a 5.6 in the 50 meters and a 5.9 in the 50 yard dash, although I'm just throwing out numbers, my point really is he was really fast.  I might have said fast as a greyhound, or fast as a cheetah and perhaps I should have as the lack of numbers might not fire up your inner bean counter."

Still confusing, because a 5.6 in the 50 meters is world class, but a 5.9 in the 50 yards is pedestrian.  Was this guy fast or slow?  I don't see how it's relevant either way.  An NFL LB is going to be a straight badass, regardless of his poor showing in the 50 yd dash.  But seriously, no one runs the 50 yard dash.  I remember running it in the 5th grade, but can't remember my time.  Doubt I was sub 6.
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:48 pm

So from your list what type of tipper are you Zo?

On my trip to the States last year we found the whole tipping thing a bit strange at first but after a while we got used to it and quite liked it. Give a great tip where you get good service and give the minimum where you get ordinary service.

A question for you guys. We did a guided trip out to the Grand Canyon. It included a helicopter ride into the Grand Canyon but that wasn't part of the tour. Our guide just bought the tickets on our behalf. The helicopter flight was several hundred dollars each so combined with the ride out there was a significant sum for two people. We tipped the tour guide the usual 18% but it didn't feel right. Some did the tour minus the helicopter ride making it significantly cheaper and accordingly the tip would be significantly lower. It felt as though we should have tipped the guide based on the cost of the tour/bus ride only and if anything the tip for the helicopter ride should go to the chopper pilot. Anyway we tipped the tour guy the full amount but it felt like we were tipping the guy far too much for services rendered. Did we do the right thing? What would you have done?
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:01 pm

Dinner tipping conversations are always interesting to read on forums.  You always see guys bragging about how much they tip.  Most say 17% to 20%.   Personally, I rarely tip over 15% unless the service is better than average to excellent.  Unfortunately, it's very rare to receive excellent service.  If you ask me, 15% is just right.  Let's say you are with a group of 4 people and you spend $100 on dinner.   You probably spent no more than an hour to an hour and a half at the restaurant so right there the waiter has made $15 just from one group of customers in 1.5 hours.   Going out to dinner is expensive enough.  I'm not going to add more than 15% to my bill because of that sad song "these people live off their tips".   If you don't want to live off tips then go to college and do something other than serve food.  It's a mindless job. 

Now, if service is great then I might bump it up all the way to 20%.  Great meaning that they refill my water, get my order right and I get my food within a reasonable period of time.  I don't care if it's the cook's fault. 

If the service is horrible I'll give less than 15%.   If the waiter is outright rude I might give them nothing.   They shouldn't be a waiter and shouldn't be incentivized to stay in that profession (if you want to call it that).
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:05 pm

Ah. The famous line from the classic film "The Graduate", regarding tips: "Plastics".

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 7:13 am