The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+5
Kiwigolfer
SoonerBS
Big Dave
Fluffy
jmtbkr
9 posters

Golfshot on iPhone

jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Golfshot on iPhone Empty Golfshot on iPhone

Post  jmtbkr Thu May 02, 2013 10:11 am

I use this app. It is highly rated. Quick and simple to use.

Recently, I am having troublr with it. Seems the yardages are waaay off. Yesterday it was telling me I was 2.9 miles from the pin. After 2 holes it settled down to about 900 yards. Something is wrong. All the settings on my phone are correct, as my maps, GPS for driving and weather are all correct. I deleted the app and re-loaded it. as per instructions, but no deal. Still fu'd.

Anyone use this on a iPhone?
    Suggestions?

Please....don't tell me "I don't need one" or "get a rangefinder" or "slows up play", yada yada, yada.......
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Golfshot on iPhone Empty Re: Golfshot on iPhone

Post  Fluffy Thu May 02, 2013 11:35 am

There's an app.....

GolfCard GPS Free...... Has all the features works beautifully. GPS has a % correctness to its location...Outside mine is normally between 5-10yards, open skies it goes down to 0. The information is still correct, think it may be the triangular positioning or something like that. or.....The application has the wrong landmarks on it giving you wrong information....
    Big Dave
    Big Dave

Post  Big Dave Thu May 02, 2013 11:47 am

jmtbkr wrote:I use this app. It is highly rated. Quick and simple to use.

Recently, I am having troublr with it. Seems the yardages are waaay off. Yesterday it was telling me I was 2.9 miles from the pin. After 2 holes it settled down to about 900 yards. Something is wrong. All the settings on my phone are correct, as my maps, GPS for driving and weather are all correct. I deleted the app and re-loaded it. as per instructions, but no deal. Still fu'd.

Suggestions?

Please....don't tell me "I don't need one" or "get a rangefinder" or "slows up play", yada yada, yada.......

Golfshot GPS works great on my iPhone, doesn't disagree by more than a couple of yards with the club cart GPS units... I can get around a course pretty well using this app, except the stupid iPHone batter is usually insufficient for four hours of full-on locating and calculating and all that. I have battery packs, though, so it's all good.
    Big Dave
    Big Dave

Post  Big Dave Thu May 02, 2013 11:49 am

Suggestions?

Must be hard to get any decent stopping spin on those 900 yard approach shots, though. :-)
    SoonerBS
    SoonerBS

Post  SoonerBS Thu May 02, 2013 12:24 pm

Big Dave wrote:

Suggestions?

Golfshot GPS works great on my iPhone, doesn't disagree by more than a couple of yards with the club cart GPS units... I can get around a course pretty well using this app, except the stupid iPHone batter is usually insufficient for four hours of full-on locating and calculating and all that. I have battery packs, though, so it's all good.

Ditto here.
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Thu May 02, 2013 1:19 pm

This is like the cavity back vs blades arguement of phones. You need to ditch that 'gay', outdated iPhone and get yourself an android phone. Wink

Jobs is dead and so is Apple.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Golfshot on iPhone Empty Golf and computer

Post  Horseballs Fri May 03, 2013 8:55 am

I like golf and computer. Golf is a silent game of nature.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Fri May 03, 2013 10:55 am

I use Golf Logix occasionally and it seems to work pretty well. The best device is my Laserlink but it requires the flag to have little glass orbs in it. Unfortunately, most course don't have that. I have now determined that the best device to have is one of the new Bushnell rangefinders. The new ones work much better than the old ones. I tried one the other day and it worked on the first try every time. Don't drink too much coffee that morning, though, or you'll be shaking too much. I should talk...I just got a Venti Starbucks this morning. The problem with the Bushnell is losing it.

Never tried Golf Shot. Golf Logix works great, though. I just don't like using my iphone on the course. I also have an iPad now, so maybe I'll use that. I can do ebay deals between shots.
    jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr Fri May 03, 2013 11:24 am

I played with someone a few weeks ago who had Golfshot on his iPad. It was awesem! It uses Google maps as its overlay and with all the yarages marked out, it was really nice. He had to shut it off between holes, as it will eat the battery.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Fri May 03, 2013 11:34 am

jmtbkr wrote:I played with someone a few weeks ago who had Golfshot on his iPad. It was awesem! It uses Google maps as its overlay and with all the yarages marked out, it was really nice. He had to shut it off between holes, as it will eat the battery.

I'm sorry but anyone using an iPad on the golf course deserves to be tarred and feathered. iPhones are bad enough. Nothing worse than seeing 4 guys sitting in their carts in the middle of the fairway checking their e-mail while the group in front has already left the green.
    Poe4soul
    Poe4soul

Post  Poe4soul Fri May 03, 2013 12:25 pm

I haven't even looked at cell phone app's because they aren't allowed in most comp play events.

If you're other map functions are working properly, it has to be the app. Otherwise you probably have a bad GPS chip or it's broke.

I would guess that most of the phones and other GPS devices are using very similar GPS chips. There hasn't been any real advances in this technology for a number of years. The chips are smaller but they all probably function about the same. That said, the US has a new satellite design, GPS Block III and IIIA, with a new civilian GPS channel, L5, and all are supposed to be launched by 2014 (we'll see). The L5 channel will be almost 2x as powerful as the current L1 and L2 channels. Long and short, when the new satellites are fully launched and the handheld GPS devices are receiving L5 channels, you'll be able to get coverage in trees and I'll probably switch to a GPS device for golf. Until then, range finders are better.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Fri May 03, 2013 12:51 pm

All the folks who love those electronic gadgets and use them all the time on the course should just stay the f*ck home and play OptiShot in their clubrooms or garages and leave the real thing to those of use who can actually play with the rudimentary course markers that have been the standard for a hundred or so years. Mongrel out.
    Poe4soul
    Poe4soul

Post  Poe4soul Fri May 03, 2013 3:46 pm

Mongrel wrote:All the folks who love those electronic gadgets and use them all the time on the course should just stay the f*ck home and play OptiShot in their clubrooms or garages and leave the real thing to those of use who can actually play with the rudimentary course markers that have been the standard for a hundred or so years. Mongrel out.

Fine by me as long as all the old f*cks that can't walk the course, as they've done for a hundred or so years, stay the f*ck home as well.

Interestingly, if you look back in history the same argument was happening with the yardage markers. Some golfers were all upset that the course was planting the 100 yard trees/bushes. They argued that a real golfer also had to be able to estimate distances with their naked eye.
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Fri May 03, 2013 4:09 pm

Poe4soul wrote:
    Mongrel wrote:All the folks who love those electronic gadgets and use them all the time on the course should just stay the f*ck home and play OptiShot in their clubrooms or garages and leave the real thing to those of use who can actually play with the rudimentary course markers that have been the standard for a hundred or so years. Mongrel out.

Fine by me as long as all the old f*cks that can't walk the course, as they've done for a hundred or so years, stay the f*ck home as well.

Interestingly, if you look back in history the same argument was happening with the yardage markers. Some golfers were all upset that the course was planting the 100 yard trees/bushes. They argued that a real golfer also had to be able to estimate distances with their naked eye.

Interesting discussion. My Dad is kind of bemused with the gadgets that I have ( a Skycaddie and Bushnell rangefinder) but he also says that he was dead set opposed when they brought in the 90, 135 and 180m markers. Now he admits he would be lost without them. I was initially anti these GPS/range finder devices but now admit I would now be lost without my electronic gadgets.

A buddie has a Garmin watch GPS and I'm always surprised how accurate that thing is. He consistently gets the same yardages as I get with my rangefinder shooting the pin. I think I'll have to get one when my Skycaddie dies. It's small, unobtrusive , all the courses are pre mapped (no need to download) and it's updated if the course layout changes. Unlike my Skycaddie which is as useless as tits on a bull on some courses. Luckily it works great on my two home courses. Also the Garmin has no annual fee. Skycaddie start sending me subscription reminders in April when the sub isn't due until June. Classic sign of a company about to go broke.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Fri May 03, 2013 4:09 pm

Carts are primary course revenue generators. Without carts, you'd see half or more of the golf courses fold within five years. Unless you walkers would be willing to pony up double or triple the greens fees. Now before the era of carts and yardage monuments (be they signs, trees, bushes and/or sprinkler heads), the font of distance knowledge was the caddy. And he is what's missing almost everywhere these days.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Fri May 03, 2013 4:25 pm

Mongrel wrote:Carts are primary course revenue generators. Without carts, you'd see half or more of the golf courses fold within five years. Unless you walkers would be willing to pony up double or triple the greens fees. Now before the era of carts and yardage monuments (be they signs, trees, bushes and/or sprinkler heads), the font of distance knowledge was the caddy. And he is what's missing almost everywhere these days.

I think you are absolutely wrong. The amount of damage carts do to golf courses creates a huge need for additional maintenance, sod, and manpower to keep the courses looking nice. People in carts often bring their own food so they don't stop at the snack bar. Carts also slow play down so you can't get as many people out. Carts add to liability insurance. Carts bring more fat people to your course and that destroys the greens.

Todays yardage devices are a joke in the hands of the average golfer. Most of these dimwits have no clue if they are going to hit a 7 iron 150 yards or 120 yards. Look for the red 100 yard marker, figure out your distance from there and do the math. Should take 2 seconds for all but the stupidest of players.

If you are above a 10 handicap, and you repeatedly look at your GPS or rangefinder in order to get exact yardage, what are you doing? Do you really believe it matters if the pin is 155 yards away vs. 160? Get real.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Fri May 03, 2013 6:52 pm

Again, it is my belief that if carts were removed from the courses many of them, especially the daily fee public and privately owned ones would eventually be converted to other uses of the land. And those fat guys are the ones who typically ogle the cart girls and spend their bucks on brewskies and trans-fat-loaded fodder.

As far as yardage markers, give me a blue stake at 200, a white one at 150 and a red one at 100 and with the rudimentary math I learned several years before I thought of shaving, I can figure it out.
    Poe4soul
    Poe4soul

Post  Poe4soul Fri May 03, 2013 7:17 pm

Mongrel wrote:Again, it is my belief that if carts were removed from the courses many of them, especially the daily fee public and privately owned ones would eventually be converted to other uses of the land. And those fat guys are the ones who typically ogle the cart girls and spend their bucks on brewskies and trans-fat-loaded fodder.

As far as yardage markers, give me a blue stake at 200, a white one at 150 and a red one at 100 and with the rudimentary math I learned several years before I thought of shaving, I can figure it out.

That's great. Just don't quote history because you're wrong. Distance markers are relatively new to golf when you consider how old the game is.

Last edited by Poe4soul on Sat May 04, 2013 2:05 am; edited 3 times in total
    Poe4soul
    Poe4soul

Post  Poe4soul Fri May 03, 2013 7:23 pm

FamousDavis wrote:
    Mongrel wrote:Carts are primary course revenue generators. Without carts, you'd see half or more of the golf courses fold within five years. Unless you walkers would be willing to pony up double or triple the greens fees. Now before the era of carts and yardage monuments (be they signs, trees, bushes and/or sprinkler heads), the font of distance knowledge was the caddy. And he is what's missing almost everywhere these days.

I think you are absolutely wrong. The amount of damage carts do to golf courses creates a huge need for additional maintenance, sod, and manpower to keep the courses looking nice. People in carts often bring their own food so they don't stop at the snack bar. Carts also slow play down so you can't get as many people out. Carts add to liability insurance. Carts bring more fat people to your course and that destroys the greens.

Todays yardage devices are a joke in the hands of the average golfer. Most of these dimwits have no clue if they are going to hit a 7 iron 150 yards or 120 yards. Look for the red 100 yard marker, figure out your distance from there and do the math. Should take 2 seconds for all but the stupidest of players.

If you are above a 10 handicap, and you repeatedly look at your GPS or rangefinder in order to get exact yardage, what are you doing? Do you really believe it matters if the pin is 155 yards away vs. 160? Get real.

Since I play under 5, is it OK to use the rangefinder? I'm more interested what the cover is on the bunker than the exact yardage to the pin. Or what the +/- is from the center of the green. Selecting a club is more about the miss than the perfect shot.
    jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr Fri May 03, 2013 7:27 pm

I would have no problem if the course I play weekly in the company league had yardage markers. They don't. So I need to know approximatly where I am relative to the green. It takes all of no time as I walk up the fairway to my ball to check my app for yardage.
    That's what this thread was about. I can't seem to get a reading under 2 miles.
    I'm gonna hit the apple store this weekend and have them do a diagnostic on the phone. I noticed today that my GPS for the maps seems to be about a mile off.
    Playing weekly, I can figure out realitvly quickly what club to use when, but I'd like to get some baseline data. Meaning I need a working GPS.

No nned to get into a flame war over the good/bad aspects of GPS Rolling Eyes
    Poe4soul
    Poe4soul

Post  Poe4soul Fri May 03, 2013 9:47 pm

jmtbkr wrote:I would have no problem if the course I play weekly in the company league had yardage markers. They don't. So I need to know approximatly where I am relative to the green. It takes all of no time as I walk up the fairway to my ball to check my app for yardage.
    That's what this thread was about. I can't seem to get a reading under 2 miles.
    I'm gonna hit the apple store this weekend and have them do a diagnostic on the phone. I noticed today that my GPS for the maps seems to be about a mile off.
    Playing weekly, I can figure out realitvly quickly what club to use when, but I'd like to get some baseline data. Meaning I need a working GPS.

No nned to get into a flame war over the good/bad aspects of GPS Rolling Eyes

Sounds like your iphone GPS is on the fritze.

I've notice courses are not maintaining the yardage markers. Most used to have sprinklers marked but those are not being maintained and over time fewer and fewer will have accurae yardages. One of the local courses pulled out the 200 yard markers. Not sure why.

Doesn't the iphone have an accuracy shaded bubble around the location marker? Does it show that the position is accurate or does it have a large shaded circle? I phone also uses signals from the towers to locate position. It's interesting that both aren't working correctly. Good luck! I hope they can fix it or replace it for you if it's under warrenty.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 18, 2024 11:00 pm