The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

4 posters

Snow sucks big time...

Pky6471
    Pky6471

Snow sucks big time... Empty Snow sucks big time...

Post  Pky6471 Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:09 pm

March 25 and it snowed like gang buster at 6:30 AM when I left for work... this is suck, almost end of March and in Delaware, not Michigan or Buffalo NY
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Snow sucks big time... Empty Re: Snow sucks big time...

Post  Mongrel Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:37 pm

The Pennsylvania Dutch would call this weather event an "onion snow".
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:42 pm

Mostly German wrote:The Pennsylvania Dutch would call this weather event an "onion snow".

Thanks for reminding me of that term... I heard that all the time when I lived and worked in Lancaster PA for 21 yrs... sure bring back memory
    jt1135
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:19 pm

Well, potatoes are supposed to be planted by Good Friday. Ain't gonna happen here.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:40 pm

Since you worked in Lancaster, have you seen the TV show "Amish Mafia?" Its a real trip. Since relatives on my father's side were "Plain People" in the 19th and early 20th centuries, he was always fascinated with that heritage. Sometimes he would pack us into the station wagon and drive west through Lancaster County and have a late lunch somewhere. I would always look out the window at the farms without electricity with all the trucks and cars painted black. Every once in awhile I would see some sort of cool car almost hidden in a farm shed. Yellow Corvette. Red Pontiac GTO. Chevelle SS396. Et cet.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:04 pm

Mostly German wrote:Since you worked in Lancaster, have you seen the TV show "Amish Mafia?" Its a real trip. Since relatives on my father's side were "Plain People" in the 19th and early 20th centuries, he was always fascinated with that heritage. Sometimes he would pack us into the station wagon and drive west through Lancaster County and have a late lunch somewhere. I would always look out the window at the farms without electricity with all the trucks and cars painted black. Every once in awhile I would see some sort of cool car almost hidden in a farm shed. Yellow Corvette. Red Pontiac GTO. Chevelle SS396. Et cet.

I lived and worked there for 21 yrs so I know a lot about that area... I heard of the "Amish Mafia" but have not watched it. I heard Amish girls are pretty wild but never had a chance. When we custom built our house in Lancaster we worked with a Amish man who built our cabinets, A+++ quality, still lơoked excellent after 10 yrs when we sold the house and moved to Delaware. My old next dơor neighbor was a Ford/New Holland executive who had a beach house in DE back then, every Sat he drove an Amish man from Lancaster to his beach house to custom build kitchen cabinets for him... Nuf said
    jt1135
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:45 pm

Well, the courses in Sioux Falls are supposed to open this weekend so next week, don't know which day, 8 of us are heading down there. Bout a 3 hour drive one way but haven't played a round since December 1st so I can deal with the drive. Could be good or ugly, I don't care at least we'll be on a course.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:21 am

jt1135 wrote:Well, the courses in Sioux Falls are supposed to open this weekend so next week, don't know which day, 8 of us are heading down there. Bout a 3 hour drive one way but haven't played a round since December 1st so I can deal with the drive. Could be good or ugly, I don't care at least we'll be on a course.

http://www.deerfieldgolfclub.com/CourseTour
    Weather is going to be OK here on Friday (50+) and since I have a day off from work so I will play here , only 2 miles from my house so very convenient. Beautiful course and challenging, more than 50% of the shots will not be on a flat lie and that's the only thing I hate about this course.
    Mongrel... when your gang play in DE , I recommend either Deerfield or White Clay
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:19 pm

I don't think that the club is venturing out of central Maryland and southern PA but if the Delaware Park course gets on the schedule, I'll make it a point to sign up. I can even bring the wife along since it would be real easy to park her in the slot machine area and she'd be good to go for hours.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:33 pm

Mostly German wrote:I don't think that the club is venturing out of central Maryland and southern PA but if the Delaware Park course gets on the schedule, I'll make it a point to sign up. I can even bring the wife along since it would be real easy to park her in the slot machine area and she'd be good to go for hours.

Although it's not snowing here, it can get cold. For instance, today I went out to lunch with some friends and we sat outside in the patio area. There were a couple of times that I wished I was wearing more than a polo shirt. You never know when it might dip below 70.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:40 pm

Now anyone who has ever lived in southern California knows it can get might cold at times. One of the coldest times I can remember was off the coast running back and forth between San Diego and the northern Mexican coast chasing Russian subs in the late '60's in January. What made it so cold was that none of us had the appropriate clothing.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 6:30 am