The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+4
jmtbkr
Horseballs
Pky6471
jt1135
8 posters

Waiting for spring.

jt1135
    jt1135

Waiting for spring. Empty Waiting for spring.

Post  jt1135 Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:58 am

Last year the course opened on March 15 with 70 degree weather. Ain't gonna happen this year.

Waiting for spring. Dscf1316
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Waiting for spring. Empty Re: Waiting for spring.

Post  Pky6471 Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:33 am

jt1135 wrote:Last year the course opened on March 15 with 70 degree weather. Ain't gonna happen this year.

Waiting for spring. Dscf1316

courses in Delaware are ALWAYS opened, sometime even with some snow on the ground
    jt1135
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:38 am

The ground is froze about 4-5 feet deep also.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:20 pm

I am honestly irrationally pissed off about this weather. On the drive in to work this morning, we've got a pop up snowstorm. In fucking central Kentucky! In mid March!
    I've got my AZ trip next week, so I'm geeked about that, but I haven't hit a ball in forever. I'm going to suck horribly.
    Normally before this trip, there will have been a few decent weekends where I can either play or practice. I'm never in anything close to mid-season form, but I can at least hit full shots and know approximately where they are going. Last weekend, I swung a club about 5 times in my basement. The grip felt foreign, my stance felt unathletic, and it felt like my hips, shoulders and feet were pointed in different directions. After 5 unfolding lawn chair swings, I put the club down.
    jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:52 pm

Finally, I am going to the range after werk. It's been a miserable 1 1/2 weeks back from florida without hitting any balls. Fortunately all the snow has melted from the range and the heaters are working.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:47 pm

Horseballs wrote:I am honestly irrationally pissed off about this weather. On the drive in to work this morning, we've got a pop up snowstorm. In fucking central Kentucky! In mid March!
    I've got my AZ trip next week, so I'm geeked about that, but I haven't hit a ball in forever. I'm going to suck horribly.
    Normally before this trip, there will have been a few decent weekends where I can either play or practice. I'm never in anything close to mid-season form, but I can at least hit full shots and know approximately where they are going. Last weekend, I swung a club about 5 times in my basement. The grip felt foreign, my stance felt unathletic, and it felt like my hips, shoulders and feet were pointed in different directions. After 5 unfolding lawn chair swings, I put the club down.
    Buy or build yourself a short 3-ft training club and swing indoor during off seasons. It's easy to build if you have a broken shaft... I bought a swing training club (heavy head) and built another one (lighter head using an old tennis ball filled with cement...) I use them for the whole year and I never lost touch with my swing during off seasons
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:57 pm

I am fortunate to have two indoor driving ranges within ten miles of my home. They are named Golf Galaxy and Golfsmith and the best times to visit them are early and late on weekends. I bring some of my own clubs and pick up some used ones so that the workers can be convinced that I am comparing them.
    Poe4soul
    Poe4soul

Post  Poe4soul Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:23 pm

Horseballs wrote:I am honestly irrationally pissed off about this weather. On the drive in to work this morning, we've got a pop up snowstorm. In fucking central Kentucky! In mid March!

ah, phuck it! I'm headed to Maui next week and I'm not bringing a single club. I'm going to chill and do nothin' but body surf, snorkel, read, and drink. I could have went to AZ but decided I needed some water time and I really don't have an itch to golf.

Not to rub it in, but any time you guys on the right coast are having the shit kicked out of you, us on the left coast are living in good weather. We have had many 60* days with partly cloudy to full sun. Same goes for CA. Their wet is when we are dry. That said, I'm with you on the golf swing, but I'm not in any real hurry to start the season.
    jt1135
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:53 pm

Another phucking blizzard tonight. Wind chills down to -22 tonight and tomorrow. Last year was golfing on this day and it was 75 degrees. disappointed
    jt1135
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:29 pm

Damn, this is getting tiring.

Waiting for spring. 00910
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:41 pm

I woke up yesterday in Scottsdale with a cloudless day and a high on 82 degrees. I went to bed in Ohio with snow and 28 degrees. The next few days are more of the same.

I got to play 90 holes of great desert golf from Thursday to Saturday. I really had the driver going well, but the short game wasn't sharp at all. 3 of the rounds were on very fast greens and I wasn't making much outside of 10 feet. Several 3 putts from outside 20 feet.

I had it going pretty well on the Friday morning round. 4 birdies and a 2 over 73 that really could have been better. Every other round was between 80 and 86, which is what I would expect after a prolonged winter.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Waiting for spring. Empty First time at Torrey Pines

Post  FamousDavis Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:56 pm

I played in my first men's club event at Torrey Pines yesterday. We played the North Course. Although this course is supposed to be secondary to the South Course I have to say it was one of the best courses I've played. I absolutely loved it. Several of the holes get close to the cliffs and are spectacular. I love everything about this golf course. The putting green is surrounded by plaques of Hall of Famers who've won the tournament. The course is in absolute perfect condition. The people who play there respect the game, dress appropriately and love golf.

I played very well and probably shot a 75 on my own ball. Two-man tournament with first 6 holes scramble, next 6 best ball and the final 6 both balls count. My partner didn't do very well. We played from the white tees, at 6,350 yards. The blue tee is around 6,450 so not much difference. However, the tournament tees the pros play from are ridiculous. On several holes the back tees were 50 yards behind our tee box. It makes you appreciate how good, and long, those guys are. You need special permission to play from those tee boxes.

I can't wait to play the South. [img]Waiting for spring. Z_torr11[/img]
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:07 pm

That sure is pretty. Boy, I wish I'd been into playing when I lived in San Diego. Used to do a lot of body surfing right on down the cliffs from there. Nowadays, I would stick my tee in the ground on that nice mowed patch in front of where you took that photo. I assume that it is the forward tee. Plenty good enough for me.
    jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:24 pm

Gonna be 48* and sunny this weekend. I hope. I am playing come hell or high water, I am playing!!!!!!

Right now its kinda raining/snowing, but the rest o' the week looks lke a warming up trend. So....clubs go in the car and hitting the heated driving range at least 2X this week.
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:02 am

Jealousy..... disappointed
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:09 am

FamousDavis wrote:I played in my first men's club event at Torrey Pines yesterday. We played the North Course. Although this course is supposed to be secondary to the South Course I have to say it was one of the best courses I've played. I absolutely loved it. Several of the holes get close to the cliffs and are spectacular. I love everything about this golf course. The putting green is surrounded by plaques of Hall of Famers who've won the tournament. The course is in absolute perfect condition. The people who play there respect the game, dress appropriately and love golf.

I played very well and probably shot a 75 on my own ball. Two-man tournament with first 6 holes scramble, next 6 best ball and the final 6 both balls count. My partner didn't do very well. We played from the white tees, at 6,350 yards. The blue tee is around 6,450 so not much difference. However, the tournament tees the pros play from are ridiculous. On several holes the back tees were 50 yards behind our tee box. It makes you appreciate how good, and long, those guys are. You need special permission to play from those tee boxes.

I can't wait to play the South. [img]Waiting for spring. Z_torr11[/img]

Man, that looks very beautiful... I don't have to play there, just walk around , enjoy the view and fresh air... Can't afford to live in SD, well I could but ....
    Thanks for sharing FD
    jt1135
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:23 pm

SOB!!!! Supposed to get from 6 to 13 inches of fucking snow in the next 2 days. When will this shit end?
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:22 am

jt1135 wrote:SOB!!!! Supposed to get from 6 to 13 inches of fucking snow in the next 2 days. When will this shit end?

Have U thought of moving to S.CA to be close to Lery?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content