The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+4
Pky6471
jmtbkr
Mongrel
Lorenzzo
8 posters

Wooden Tees

Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Wooden Tees Empty Wooden Tees

Post  Lorenzzo Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:45 pm

I tried out some of these recently and would like to report my findings.

The tees were generally easy to stick in the ground and constently supported the ball. Occasionally they break.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Wooden Tees Empty Re: Wooden Tees

Post  Mongrel Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:24 pm

Lorenzzo wrote:I tried out some of these recently and would like to report my findings.

The tees were generally easy to stick in the ground and constently supported the ball. Occasionally they break.

Yes, I use them also. And I have since my first golf hole, a 395 yard par 4, played in the late spring of 1955. So I have been playing long enough to be somewhat familiar with the evolution of the wooden tee. To not belabour this fascinating subject, the earliest tees were made from very durable hardwoods and it was unusual to snap one with a wood. The custom teeing off with irons was and still mostly is to use already broken tees. Fast forward to today and the wooden tees you can buy at Walmart or Golf Galaxy are notable for two things: they are very expensive compared to what they cost a decade or two ago and the wood is no longer very durable. I blame the Communist Russia-inspired Green Movement for this since the entire Golf World seems to have embraced with all eight of its arms the "Sustainability" movement and touts the modern tees as being bio-degradeable. What gets me is that on nine out of ten tee shots I make with driver, the bloody fooking tee snaps. And I am only coming through the shot in the mid 90's at most.

It used to be that when you played at private clubs and non-municipal privately owned public courses, you could buy a pack of twenty or so wooden tees for a buck at most. And lots of places had tees made up with their names or the names of local sponsors such as home heating oil companies or Italian deli's and those were free.

I think that the supply of the good hardwoods that make the best tees is rapidly declining due to its use as firewood by the Morlocks of the world. A Fatwa of Genocide should be declared against them so that we may again have an inexpensive supply of durable hardwood tees. Mongrel out.
    jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:53 pm

My favorite tees are from Disney. They are a pressed cellulose product that are bio-degradeable. They don't break, maybe bend a little. I can use one tee for an entire round.
    And they come imprinted with the rat's logo.
    Only problem is you can only get them at a Disney course. I take them off all the carts and the driving range stands. Then I ask an attendant for a handful to take home and they usually wind up giving you 50 or so. So for my 4 rounds last month, I came home with over 200 tees. Guess it's built in to the greensfees Smile

As for wooden ones, I buy the cheapest bag when I go to GS. It's usually the ones with the yellow mark for depth. But I hardly use them 'cause I like my Disney tees Basketball

Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:17 pm

jmtbkr wrote:My favorite tees are from Disney. They are a pressed cellulose product that are bio-degradeable. They don't break, maybe bend a little. I can use one tee for an entire round.
    Only problem is you can only get them at a Disney course. I take them off all the carts and the driving range stands. Then I ask an attendant for a handful to take home and they usually wind up giving you 50 or so. So for my 4 rounds last month, I came home with over 200 tees. Guess it's built in to the greensfees Smile

As for wooden ones, I buy the cheapest bag when I go to GS. It's usually the ones with the yellow mark for depth. But I hardly use them 'cause I like my Disney tees Basketball

I don't buy tees... I recycle tees I found at the golf courses. I picked up a few plastic tees that seem to last forever...until I lost them
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:23 am

jmtbkr wrote:My favorite tees are from Disney. They are a pressed cellulose product that are bio-degradeable. They don't break, maybe bend a little. I can use one tee for an entire round.

This being still the initial era of FD's discussion forum, it's understandable there might be a lack of clarity as to standards. But from my perspective, Disney tees should be discussed in a separate review.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:31 am

Lorenzzo wrote:

This being still the initial era of FD's discussion forum, it's understandable there might be a lack of clarity as to standards. But from my perspective, Disney tees should be discussed in a separate review.

I'm inclined to agree.

Golf should be played with a tee made of wood. That little plastic tee with the tooth brush-looking bristles should not be seen on a regulation sized golf course, nor should the plastic tees that tack the average hack about 30 seconds to get into the ground. Just think how lucky we are. In the old days the player had to use his sand castle skills and assemble a little mound of sand on which to perch the ball. Which begs the question: How could it take that long to figure out how to make a golf tee?

I prefer the recently created white tees with little blue or green shaded areas that give you a precise indicator of how far to push the tee into the ground.

Always sport wood.
    jt1135
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:35 am

Don't know which is worse. The brush tees, who ever invented them must have gotten inspiration from the history channel and Hitler, or the Zero gravity tee. Three little prongs to rest the ball on. Try to tee up after a few beers with them sonsabitches.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:24 am

Perhaps the ultimate teeing device paying tribute to the origins of The Game was employed by that wee British lass Laura Davies. Ms. Davies would take her Maruman driver and pound a depression in the teeing ground and then tap the front so that the turf formed an elevated ridge upon which she would place her ball. Drives in the 300 yard range were common for her. Now I'm sure that the greenskeepers were miffed at her but if you can recall her, you would be reticent, too, to call her out.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:21 pm

Mostly German wrote:Perhaps the ultimate teeing device paying tribute to the origins of The Game was employed by that wee British lass Laura Davies. Ms. Davies would take her Maruman driver and pound a depression in the teeing ground and then tap the front so that the turf formed an elevated ridge upon which she would place her ball. Drives in the 300 yard range were common for her. Now I'm sure that the greenskeepers were miffed at her but if you can recall her, you would be reticent, too, to call her out.

Patty Sheehan and Laura Davies in a sauna in Palm Springs....a recurring nightmare of mine
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:36 pm

FamousDavis wrote:
    Mostly German wrote:Perhaps the ultimate teeing device paying tribute to the origins of The Game was employed by that wee British lass Laura Davies. Ms. Davies would take her Maruman driver and pound a depression in the teeing ground and then tap the front so that the turf formed an elevated ridge upon which she would place her ball. Drives in the 300 yard range were common for her. Now I'm sure that the greenskeepers were miffed at her but if you can recall her, you would be reticent, too, to call her out.

Patty Sheehan and Laura Davies in a sauna in Palm Springs....a recurring nightmare of mine
    When Pat Bradley opens the door to enter, they won't even notice you.
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:46 am

Findings of wooden tees....

They last ONE HOLE on a perfect shot with a driver swing speed past 120mph...
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:43 pm

jt1135 wrote:Don't know which is worse. The brush tees, who ever invented them must have gotten inspiration from the history channel and Hitler, or the Zero gravity tee. Three little prongs to rest the ball on. Try to tee up after a few beers with them sonsabitches.

They're a little bit more but the brush tees made with cunt hair are worth it.

BTW, regular breaking of tees at any swing speed reveals swing flaw(s).
    rooteen
    rooteen

Post  rooteen Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:26 am

Lorenzzo wrote:

Agreed. One of my playing partners constantly breaks those plastic wedge tees. I just tell him they are only unbreakable if you put them in the ground with the wedge facing the right way.
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:38 am

[quote="Lorenzzo"]
    jt1135 wrote:

This is actualy wrong.... Wooden tees are made to break for the better player to not interfere with the follow through and functions to stay transparent during the swing.

Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:11 pm

[quote="Fluffy"]
    Lorenzzo wrote:
    jt1135 wrote:

This is actualy wrong.... Wooden tees are made to break for the better player to not interfere with the follow through and functions to stay transparent during the swing.

Well of course because noone always nails their swings. That in no way refutes that. If you're saying it's not an indicator that's not at all true. Check this with the pro fleet, they all accept this. Sorry about the swing flaws.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:58 pm

[quote="Fluffy"]
    Lorenzzo wrote:
    jt1135 wrote:

This is correct. And the design also provides for additional uses after the new tee has been snapped in two by the driver launch. The top remnant will then be used on the next hole requiring the good player to tee off with less than driver. A fairway wood off that remnant will probably not break the remant any more so that it may again be used for the next iron tee shot on a par 3 or short par 4. A player with high iron head speed and excellent technique may snap the remnant with a dead-solid-perfect strike so then the remnant of the remnant may be disposed of properly so as not to nick mower blades.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 10:24 am