The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+2
Horseballs
Lord Helmet
6 posters

Rors hangs it up!

Lord Helmet
    Lord Helmet

Rors hangs it up! Empty Rors hangs it up!

Post  Lord Helmet Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:32 am

Withdrawls from Honda tourney.....says he isnt in a good place mentally. He was 7over I believe....Im sure that had nothing to do with it.....
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Rors hangs it up! Empty Re: Rors hangs it up!

Post  Horseballs Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:39 am

Not a good sign. I hope he doesn't become like Michelle Wie. I don't like the way he handled some of his major chokes. He should have been angry and defiant instead of apathetic and goofy. He doesn't appear to be taking things seriously. That is my perception, which may be totally off-base.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:57 am

Being naturally curious to see how the equipment change is taking, I checked in on the PGA Leaderboard website awhile ago and noticed that Rory was plus seven on his front nine having finished at even yesterday. He had a double and two bogies on the first eight holes having started on number ten. And his score for 18, his ninth hole, was blank. I suppose this must mean that he tripled the par 5. Looking at this from the "Glass half full" perspective, creative advertising types might try to nudge Nike towards some commercials touting their gear as not just being for the pros and the best players in the world. Hell, even I can triple a par five to shoot seven over for nine. Just about my handicap anyway.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:07 pm

I guess I don't see how this can be good for either party, Nike nor Rory. It's a lose/lose situation. Everyone who follows golf knows that Rory has switched all 14 clubs to Nike. Now he's playing like sh!t. I fail to understand how someone at the top of his game could even consider something like switching out all of his equipment. Golf is such a mental game.

It would be one thing if Rory was using another brand that had a traditional looking driver like his former Titleist 910 D2 driver. Instead, he now plays the Nike Covert which looks nothing like his former driver and is probably different in all aspects.

Just think - Titleist doesn't have to pay Rory a cent and he's giving them great advertising by playing worse with Nike.

I wonder if Tiger had something to do with this. Maybe he helped convince Rory to make the move over to Nike, knowing full well what it could do to Rory's game.
    jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:17 pm

just walked back home...no cell reception on the course.

Rory put two shots in the water at 18 and promptly walked off and got into the car for the 10min drive home. Probably wept the whole way. Conflicting reports said it was either a bad back or wisdom tooth.

We followd Tiger until wifey gave up at 14. He was looking good in navy pants/v-neck sweater. Kaymer is alot taller in person and Dustin needs to loose the facial hair. Tigro beached his drive on 13 and then hit a Saddam Hussien(bunker to bunker) 2nd. His third was a fried egg lie over the green and he flubbed the chippy up to the green - grass was super thick this week.

Ricky and Grahme played great and Westwood was absolutely pounding his shots.

More tomorrow.

Maybe wifey will spot me on TV.

Oh....Maltbe chain smokes like a fiend!
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:33 pm

FD, I agree. It would be like the best ball striker in the world constantly changing irons. Obviously, one cannot hold that title if he believes that chasing the equipment dragon leads to superior ball striking.
    Just heard Rory's spin doctors are saying it's a toothache. I figured people from his part of the world follow the advice of the popular dental office poster, "Ignore your teeth; they'll go away."
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:38 pm

Horseballs wrote:FD, I agree. It would be like the best ball striker in the world constantly changing irons. Obviously, one cannot hold that title if he believes that chasing the equipment dragon leads to superior ball striking.
    Just heard Rory's spin doctors are saying it's a toothache. I figured people from his part of the world follow the advice of the popular dental office poster, "Ignore your teeth; they'll go away."

Indeed. How do you like your Ping k15 driver by the way? I returned my Titleist 909 D3 Voodoo driver to Golfmart today. Man I couldn't get a groove on that thing. It's as if it had no real sweet spot. The thing I like about the G15 and K15 is that you know exactly where you hit it on the clubface and the sound is very pleasing. Plus, both are stupid easy to hit.

Today I tried a Taylormade R9 460 TP 8.5 driver with Fujikura Motore F1 Stiff and it sure looked and felt nice. I was getting about 275 out of it in the simulator. Funny thing, though, is that the Ping k15 with stock Ping TFC Stiff shaft was a tad straighter and just about as long. Neutral
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Rors hangs it up! Empty Holy Cow!!

Post  FamousDavis Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:46 pm

Wow, I kept scrolling down the leaderboard looking for him until I saw him past the "cut" line. Camillio Villegas must have absolutely imploded today because he shot a 77 and went from 1st place on the leaderboard to not even making the cut. He shot 64 the first day and 77 today. That's some inconsistent golf right there folks. Help

That's really too bad because it's quite possible that this will be the last year we see Camillo on tour if he can't get it together. He went from being one of the hot new players to someone who may lose his card, just like Anthony Kim.

I think these guys who work out with weights all the time are making a big mistake. There's no reason to lift heavy weights for golf. All you need to do is some high repetition, light weight stuff and you'll do fine. I would bet that most of the guys on tour would benefit more from some kind of Yoga/light weight training than anything else. Something that keeps you limber and toned. Like me.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:01 pm

I like it. I've discovered I do better with draw biased drivers at 460cc. I seem to be able to do a bit of a hold off swing under pressure pretty easily. Plus it makes me concentrate more when I'm hitting the driver. Kind of a guaranteed swing thought.
    I put in an aftermarket shaft that's a bit stiffer and heavier than the stock TFC.
    Player
    Player

Post  Player Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:41 pm

FamousDavis wrote:Wow, I kept scrolling down the leaderboard looking for him until I saw him past the "cut" line. Camillio Villegas must have absolutely imploded today because he shot a 77 and went from 1st place on the leaderboard to not even making the cut. He shot 64 the first day and 77 today. That's some inconsistent golf right there folks. Help

That's really too bad because it's quite possible that this will be the last year we see Camillo on tour if he can't get it together. He went from being one of the hot new players to someone who may lose his card, just like Anthony Kim.

I think these guys who work out with weights all the time are making a big mistake. There's no reason to lift heavy weights for golf. All you need to do is some high repetition, light weight stuff and you'll do fine. I would bet that most of the guys on tour would benefit more from some kind of Yoga/light weight training than anything else. Something that keeps you limber and toned. Like me.
    Camillo is an interesting cat. He has gone from being a ripped tournament winning pocket dynamo up with the longest bombers on tour to a has been in the space of about 2 years. It's worth noting that he now hits it about 30 yards shorter than he was when he was winning tournaments and giving golf forum idiots hard ons. It is also worth noting that his decline and drop in distance started around the same time as the PGA introduced drug testing.

I haven't seen him lately as he just doesn't get any air time, but I would bet his physique isn't quite as ripped as it used to be. Coincidence?
    Player
    Player

Post  Player Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:44 pm

Lord Helmet wrote:Withdrawls from Honda tourney.....says he isnt in a good place mentally. He was 7over I believe....Im sure that had nothing to do with it.....
    I heard the last shot which made him withdraw was from about two thirty out.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:50 pm

For him, about a five iron. A Titleist MB 5 iron. And a Pro V1.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:58 pm

Player wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:Wow, I kept scrolling down the leaderboard looking for him until I saw him past the "cut" line. Camillio Villegas must have absolutely imploded today because he shot a 77 and went from 1st place on the leaderboard to not even making the cut. He shot 64 the first day and 77 today. That's some inconsistent golf right there folks. Help

Camillo is an interesting cat. He has gone from being a ripped tournament winning pocket dynamo up with the longest bombers on tour to a has been in the space of about 2 years. It's worth noting that he now hits it about 30 yards shorter than he was when he was winning tournaments and giving golf forum idiots hard ons. It is also worth noting that his decline and drop in distance started around the same time as the PGA introduced drug testing.

I haven't seen him lately as he just doesn't get any air time, but I would bet his physique isn't quite as ripped as it used to be. Coincidence?

Another young gun foreigner who jumped ship equipment-wise. I figured that might happen when I saw the series of TV ads he made couple of years ago with the new TaylorMade "Boiner" driver and the "Brudderhood of Spid" he joined.

Westwood was interviewed recently and was asked about his loyalty to Ping through the years and he said that Ping started supplying him with clubs when he was a teen and he saw no reason to change them up. He just keeps getting a little better every season. Didn't McDowell change after he won the Yank Open at Pebble? How's that working for him?

Last edited by Mostly German on Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Player
    Player

Post  Player Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:59 pm

Mostly German wrote:For him, about a five iron. A Titleist MB 5 iron. And a Pro V1.
    I was actually trying to make a joke. Two thirty, tooth hurty. Get it?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 12:25 pm