The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+7
12pierogi
Horseballs
FamousDavis
Pky6471
Mongrel
jt1135
trombettista_vecchio
11 posters

This Year Seems Very Different

FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

This Year Seems Very Different - Page 2 Empty Re: This Year Seems Very Different

Post  FamousDavis Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:59 am

Player wrote:Comp golf is the only golf I play. There is something missing in social golf, for mine I dont count a score outside of a comp to mean anything.

I couldn't agree more. I play with a regular group of guys on Sundays but I truly miss the Wolf game I used to play in Dallas, TX. It was actually a little too ruthless for my blood and required too much money but I have to say I really enjoyed it. My perfect game is to have a fivesome playing either rabbits & squirrels with skins or a good Wolf game.

Also, I love playing in tournaments. That's where your game, nerves, the whole nine yards is tested. You find out a lot about yourself in tournaments. Man, the one thing I've learned is to never give up. I started off yesterday with 3 bogeys and ended up with a decent round. You just never know.
    trombettista_vecchio
    trombettista_vecchio

This Year Seems Very Different - Page 2 Empty Re: This Year Seems Very Different

Post  trombettista_vecchio Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:31 am

Golf is a different game to different people.

I've always enjoyed playing alone when I could, and late, squeezing in a round before dark. There's very little that I enjoy first thing in the morning. I also enjoyed playing with my niece.

But I did very much enjoy playing the game my way. I may very well have beconme a tired old man over the winter. If so, it's not bothering me much at all. I'm reading and listening to music a lot. I'm not the least bit bored.

Poe4soul
    Poe4soul

Post  Poe4soul Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:12 pm

trombettista_vecchio wrote:Golf is a different game to different people.

I've always enjoyed playing alone when I could, and late, squeezing in a round before dark. There's very little that I enjoy first thing in the morning. I also enjoyed playing with my niece.

But I did very much enjoy playing the game my way. I may very well have beconme a tired old man over the winter. If so, it's not bothering me much at all. I'm reading and listening to music a lot. I'm not the least bit bored.

As my wife's 101 year old grandmother says "you have to keep moving to keep moving." Sit for too long and you'll be dead.
    jt1135
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:36 pm

just something to livin the day up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqjtz3rEPG0
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:54 pm

That's on an endless loop in some of the cells at Gitmo with a naration in arabic explaining that this is the real Paradise.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:04 pm

trombettista_vecchio wrote:Golf is a different game to different people.

When I was a member at a country club in No. Cal I used to go out late in the afternoon and play by myself. I loved doing that. It's a great way to test out irons and work on your short game. It's pure bliss for the club ho' because you can test out several drivers and see where the end up on the same hole vs. trying to determine how far they hit on the range.

What I want out of golf is determined by the situation. If I'm playing with co-workers, I treat it as simply a fun day on the course. If I'm playing with guys who are serious about the game like me, then I bear down and get competitive. If I'm helping a blind person play golf, I'll throw in a few one liners about "seeing the line" or ask him why he didn't yell Fore! It's all about acclimating yourself to the situation at hand.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:06 pm

When there's a blind guy in our group, I'll always line him up towards the clubhouse on the first tee and make sure he has a driver in his hands.
    trombettista_vecchio
    trombettista_vecchio

Post  trombettista_vecchio Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:19 am

I've been going to my new club for lunch now and again. It's not a bad place to hang out. I can read the papers and relax in a quiet atmosphere.

I don't regret joining. I'm just not ready to think about playing again. There are other ways to enjoy the club.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:02 am

trombettista_vecchio wrote:I've been going to my new club for lunch now and again. It's not a bad place to hang out. I can read the papers and relax in a quiet atmosphere.

I don't regret joining. I'm just not ready to think about playing again. There are other ways to enjoy the club.

I always find inspiration in your posts.
    Player
    Player

Post  Player Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:53 pm

trombettista_vecchio wrote:I've been going to my new club for lunch now and again. It's not a bad place to hang out. I can read the papers and relax in a quiet atmosphere.

I applaud your relaxed laid back demeanour, you make a good point about other ways to enjoy country clubs.

Alas, I don't share your philosophy. Being a playa and a competitor, when I get to the golf course Im there to do two things, to chew bubble gum and to kick arse. And I never take gum to the course. I dont have time for social golf, I only play comp golf and my competitive nature takes over as soon as I set foot on the first tee, and stays in the ascendancy til I walk off 18.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:19 pm

Player, you have a lot to learn about competitive golf. I am competing well before I get to the course. My attire projects dominance and confidence. The car I drive projects superiority. Most of the time, I have already won before cracking a single shot. It's the difference between checkers and chess.
    Player
    Player

Post  Player Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:42 am

Horseballs wrote:Player, you have a lot to learn about competitive golf. I am competing well before I get to the course. My attire projects dominance and confidence. The car I drive projects superiority. Most of the time, I have already won before cracking a single shot. It's the difference between checkers and chess.
    You make a valid point. You are correct that every facet of life is an opportunity for the alpha male to exert his dominance over the subservient lackeys. Golf is merely an extension of that reality, guys who win on the golf course are invariably winners in life. The real man golfer like myself can smell the fear reeking from every pore of the downtrodden masses as soon as they arrive in the parking lot.

Last edited by Player on Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:25 pm

Both HB and Playa have made solid points and I have no doubt they are strong competitors against normal players. However, when it comes to playing against me I seriously doubt they would have any chance of winning a match. All of the posturing about fast cars and fast women would have no effect on me. In fact, I would use it to my advantage. For example, if Playa tried anything on the first tee I would just give a little chuckle and then stripe one down the center of the fairway. He'd soon realize that he's dealing with a player he hasn't encountered before. Someone who's only goal is to make their opponent walk as far as possible back to the clubhouse, which could mean delaying victory until the 11th hole rather than on the 10th.

Many years ago I had a men's club, club championship bracket match against a guy named Phil who was known to play mind games. He was ambidextrous and had the ability to play either right or left handed. True story. On the first tee he walked up to me and said in front of everyone "you know, this morning I couldn't decide if I should play right or left handed". I replied with "hey, whatever turns you on". The other two guys in the group started cracking up and said to this guy Phil "he got you on that one Phil. This guy is going to be tough". He was pissed off after that and never said a word to me during the match. I beat him on the 14th hole.

The moral of the story is that if you're going to play mind games you'd better know your opponent because if he calls you on it or turns it against you, you'll look like a fool.
    Player
    Player

Post  Player Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:48 pm

FamousDavis wrote:Both HB and Playa have made solid points and I have no doubt they are strong competitors against normal players. However, when it comes to playing against me I seriously doubt they would have any chance of winning a match. All of the posturing about fast cars and fast women would have no effect on me. In fact, I would use it to my advantage. For example, if Playa tried anything on the first tee I would just give a little chuckle and then stripe one down the center of the fairway. He'd soon realize that he's dealing with a player he hasn't encountered before. Someone who's only goal is to make their opponent walk as far as possible back to the clubhouse, which could mean delaying victory until the 11th hole rather than on the 10th.

Many years ago I had a men's club, club championship bracket match against a guy named Phil who was known to play mind games. He was ambidextrous and had the ability to play either right or left handed. True story. On the first tee he walked up to me and said in front of everyone "you know, this morning I couldn't decide if I should play right or left handed". I replied with "hey, whatever turns you on". The other two guys in the group started cracking up and said to this guy Phil "he got you on that one Phil. This guy is going to be tough". He was pissed off after that and never said a word to me during the match. I beat him on the 14th hole.

The moral of the story is that if you're going to play mind games you'd better know your opponent because if he calls you on it or turns it against you, you'll look like a fool.
    If you are what you say you are I would enjoy embarrassing you even more. As a true alpha male I embrace worthy challengers, it makes my victory all the sweeter. I dont enjoy beating up on weaklings on the golf course, but I can only play what is put in front of me. Like tiger, I simply raise my game according to the challenge. I dont go out trying to break course records, I am there simply to win.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:22 pm

Player wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:Both HB and Playa have made solid points and I have no doubt they are strong competitors against normal players. However, when it comes to playing against me I seriously doubt they would have any chance of winning a match. All of the posturing about fast cars and fast women would have no effect on me. In fact, I would use it to my advantage. For example, if Playa tried anything on the first tee I would just give a little chuckle and then stripe one down the center of the fairway. He'd soon realize that he's dealing with a player he hasn't encountered before. Someone who's only goal is to make their opponent walk as far as possible back to the clubhouse, which could mean delaying victory until the 11th hole rather than on the 10th.

If you are what you say you are I would enjoy embarrassing you even more. As a true alpha male I embrace worthy challengers, it makes my victory all the sweeter. I dont enjoy beating up on weaklings on the golf course, but I can only play what is put in front of me. Like tiger, I simply raise my game according to the challenge. I dont go out trying to break course records, I am there simply to win.

I just read your above post with amused skepticism. I can't imagine your game is anywhere close to being good enough to last 18 holes with me. I don't think you fully understand what you'd be up against. I play tough courses and shoot 75. I switch clubs all the time and still watch my handicap go down. By the 3rd hole I'm fairly certain you'd be overcome with fear. That's when the uncontrollable shaking of your body would begin. In an effort to quiet your nerves you'd reach out to me for conversation. I would continue to pretend you don't exist and swat you away like an insect. All of this would occur during the first 3 holes. After 5 holes you'd be a nervous wreck.
    Poe4soul
    Poe4soul

Post  Poe4soul Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:12 pm

Pretty good come back.

I had a fellow student in my class proclaim I'm too tired to take the test from all of the love making last night." The teacher didn't miss a beat, pun intended, handed him the test and said "You'll do fine; since your right hand, or should I say date, is so 'tired' from all of your 'looove making,' you can give it a rest and use your left hand to take the test."
    Player
    Player

Post  Player Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:37 pm

FamousDavis wrote:
    Player wrote:

I just read your above post with amused skepticism. I can't imagine your game is anywhere close to being good enough to last 18 holes with me. I don't think you fully understand what you'd be up against. I play tough courses and shoot 75. I switch clubs all the time and still watch my handicap go down. By the 3rd hole I'm fairly certain you'd be overcome with fear. That's when the uncontrollable shaking of your body would begin. In an effort to quiet your nerves you'd reach out to me for conversation. I would continue to pretend you don't exist and swat you away like an insect. All of this would occur during the first 3 holes. After 5 holes you'd be a nervous wreck.
    I agree there wouldnt be much conversation, there wouldnt be much opportunity as you would be searching through the scrub for your ball on every hole while I wait 80 yards further down, smack in the middle of the fairway after another striped drive.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:52 am

Player wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:
    Player wrote:

I agree there wouldnt be much conversation, there wouldnt be much opportunity as you would be searching through the scrub for your ball on every hole while I wait 80 yards further down, smack in the middle of the fairway after another striped drive.

Self delusion is a sad thing to observe. I'm sure we'd have a good time and share a few laughs but in the end I think we both know how the match would turn out.
    This Year Seems Very Different - Page 2 Smiley-whacky084
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:21 am

FD, we may be on a different forum now, but everyone still remembers how Saddlejeans thumped your ass in matchplay. It is all so much hot air.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:29 am

Horseballs wrote:FD, we may be on a different forum now, but everyone still remembers how Saddlejeans thumped your ass in matchplay. It is all so much hot air.

It doesn't matter what forum this is. I only set it up so people can say whatever they want. The only monitoring done is for spam.

In regard to Noshuz, I gave the guy 4 strokes a side (meaning he received a free shot on 8 of the holes) and he played like a 6 handicap. How am I supposed to compete with that? Now, I'll be the first to admit I didn't play very well given the bad weather.

I'm talking straight up match play with no strokes given. From now on, any time there is a GR match I'm not giving any strokes.

Word
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:37 pm

FD, we aren't children here. Everyone knows you crashed GR so you could escape the embarrassment of losing to a dude who spent the night in a train station, hitchhiked to the golf course, then boat-raced you in match play. It was a bigger set up than when Larry/Kevin duped that one guy into buying a bunch of lessons.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:17 pm

Horseballs wrote:FD, we aren't children here. Everyone knows you crashed GR so you could escape the embarrassment of losing to a dude who spent the night in a train station, hitchhiked to the golf course, then boat-raced you in match play. It was a bigger set up than when Larry/Kevin duped that one guy into buying a bunch of lessons.

More self delusion. HB, if you're feeling a little intimidated by my game I get it. It's not the first time nor will it be the last. Next time you're in California look me up and we'll have ourselves a match. After which, you can once again ask me if I'm blowing hot air. Loser buys lunch and I'll be having the BLT & chips.

Just ask Kiwi, he and are like regular pals.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:51 am

Well my winter is running down the hill with this stretch of crappy nice weather. Shame with two weeks left to the season. Maybe I'll go back to Redondo for a few weeks.

Four pages is a lot. The gist is Nifty has golf impotence and FD's taking himself too seriously again?
    jt1135
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:11 pm

Nice to see you're still around Lo! Just get back from the honeymoon?
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:41 pm

Lorenzzo wrote:Well my winter is running down the hill with this stretch of crappy nice weather. Shame with two weeks left to the season. Maybe I'll go back to Redondo for a few weeks.

Four pages is a lot. The gist is Nifty has golf impotence and FD's taking himself too seriously again?

HB started it.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 2:14 am