The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

4 posters

Will The LPGA Ever Play at Pebble Beach?

tonyj5
    tonyj5

Will The LPGA Ever Play at Pebble Beach? Empty Will The LPGA Ever Play at Pebble Beach?

Post  tonyj5 Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:09 pm

I thought the woman would never play at Oakmont, but I was there when Paula Creamer won the U.S. Women's open in 2010.
    I Will be at St. Andrews, Scotland when the women play the British Open this July.
    I will be hoping that someday soon, the woman will be invited to play at Pebble Beach.
    What does everyone think?
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Will The LPGA Ever Play at Pebble Beach? Empty Re: Will The LPGA Ever Play at Pebble Beach?

Post  Mongrel Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:02 pm

I think it would be really cool if the women played events at some of the world's most famous and revered courses. Of course my desire to see this is purely selfish because they would be playing from the men's white (middle) tees or even tees up from there. In other words, where old f*ckers like myself typically play. I'd love to see them at Augusta National. I might have half a chance on #10 with that steep downslope from the forward tees and maybe even have an eight, nine or wedge into the green. Eleven might be a three wood and a seven iron. #12 would be maybe a nine or wedge and screw the shifting winds. Thirteen and fifteen could be reachable. The Eisenhower tree would be easily avoided with a hybrid off the tee and that tree tunnel on 18 would be in your rear view mirror. Screw Pebble Beach. Send them to Riviera. I'd watch all four days of that one.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Will The LPGA Ever Play at Pebble Beach? Empty Re: Will The LPGA Ever Play at Pebble Beach?

Post  FamousDavis Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:20 am

I think the biggest risk for the LPGA women playing a really tough course is further distancing themselves from the talent on the PGA Tour. For the LPGA tour to be successful, the fans need to see them hit good shots and score well. I think Pebble Beach would be quite a challenge due to the fact that there's a lot of trouble all over the course. If they played a course like Augusta, they'd likely 3 putt on many of the holes. One of the biggest differences I've noticed is the putting, chipping and pitching isn't near as good as on the PGA Tour. I've been told that, surprisingly, this is a strength issue. You wouldn't think a chip or pitch take much strength but apparently they do. I'll admit I'm guessing here a bit but it does seem to be the case.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:16 am

FamousDavis wrote:I think the biggest risk for the LPGA women playing a really tough course is further distancing themselves from the talent on the PGA Tour. For the LPGA tour to be successful, the fans need to see them hit good shots and score well.
    Tony can probably back this up, but didn't the women do OK at Oakmont? I think course set-up dictates high scores more than any visible hazards. The organizers wouldn't pinch in the fairways, grow the rough to 6 inches, have the greens rock hard and stimping 14, tuck every pin, etc.
    I can shoot under par without doing anything crazy at the SPCC on a regular Saturday, but the weekend prior to the US Open local qualifier, it's a struggle to shoot within a few shots of my cap.
    tonyj5
    tonyj5

Post  tonyj5 Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:09 pm

Horseballs wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:I think the biggest risk for the LPGA women playing a really tough course is further distancing themselves from the talent on the PGA Tour. For the LPGA tour to be successful, the fans need to see them hit good shots and score well.
    Tony can probably back this up, but didn't the women do OK at Oakmont? I think course set-up dictates high scores more than any visible hazards. The organizers wouldn't pinch in the fairways, grow the rough to 6 inches, have the greens rock hard and stimping 14, tuck every pin, etc.
    I can shoot under par without doing anything crazy at the SPCC on a regular Saturday, but the weekend prior to the US Open local qualifier, it's a struggle to shoot within a few shots of my cap.

Yes, Paula won the tournament at Oakmont with -3 score.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 6:51 am