The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+5
Fluffy
Lord Helmet
Poe4soul
FamousDavis
Pky6471
9 posters

How Coul It Be?

Pky6471
    Pky6471

How Coul It Be? Empty How Coul It Be?

Post  Pky6471 Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:06 am

http://www.golfwrx.com/59405/13-callaway-x-hot-and-x-hot-pro-drivers-and-fairways/

I went to Best Buy yesterday and checked out some media players for fun, stopped by Golf Galaxy next door to kill time. One guy 40+ was testing a few new drivers, he kept getting 220-225 max on the simulator... then he hit the new Callay X-hot 2013 driver, all of the sudden, he was hitting 250-260.... I could not believe my eyes, how could it be, that means he has to pick up additional 10 mph swing speed... that's almost impossible and hard to explain by science

Specs

The X Hot is available is lofts of 9.5, 10.5, 11.5 and 13 degrees. It comes stock with a proprietary True Temper Project X Velocity shaft in light, regular and stiff flexes. The standard length is 46 inches with a swing weight of D3.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

How Coul It Be? Empty Re: How Coul It Be?

Post  FamousDavis Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:29 pm

Pky6471 wrote:http://www.golfwrx.com/59405/13-callaway-x-hot-and-x-hot-pro-drivers-and-fairways/

I went to Best Buy yesterday and checked out some media players for fun, stopped by Golf Galaxy next door to kill time. One guy 40+ was testing a few new drivers, he kept getting 220-225 max on the simulator... then he hit the new Callay X-hot 2013 driver, all of the sudden, he was hitting 250-260.... I could not believe my eyes, how could it be, that means he has to pick up additional 10 mph swing speed... that's almost impossible and hard to explain by science

Specs

The X Hot is available is lofts of 9.5, 10.5, 11.5 and 13 degrees. It comes stock with a proprietary True Temper Project X Velocity shaft in light, regular and stiff flexes. The standard length is 46 inches with a swing weight of D3.

I don't find that to be miraculous at all. I've hit several drivers in a simulator where most of them are going 260 and then all of a sudden I grab one that goes 280. Right flex, right weight, right loft and the correct kickpoint all add up to a significant increase in distance.
    Poe4soul
    Poe4soul

Post  Poe4soul Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:36 am

Pky6471 wrote:http://www.golfwrx.com/59405/13-callaway-x-hot-and-x-hot-pro-drivers-and-fairways/

Specs

What were his numbers? Was the employee actively fitting him or was he just picking clubs and swinging away? If you have the wrong shaft, loft combination you could lose more than 20 yards easy. That said, I don't trust those overhead projector simulators. They don't seem too accurate.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:01 pm

Poe4soul wrote:

What were his numbers? Was the employee actively fitting him or was he just picking clubs and swinging away? If you have the wrong shaft, loft combination you could lose more than 20 yards easy. That said, I don't trust those overhead projector simulators. They don't seem too accurate.

One of GG employee was fitting him... Even so, I can't see how anyone could pick up 35-40 yds just like that... 15 +/- yds I could believe, but not 35-40
    Lord Helmet
    Lord Helmet

Post  Lord Helmet Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:38 pm

Funny...I hit that same driver yesterday. White shaft, metallic head. Thing is a bomber. Was hitting it against a used G20 (which is what I play) they also had. The Callaway was 15 yards longer, launched lower, and was equally as accurate as the ping.

The g20 wasnt bad either (numbers speaking).

I wont be buying it - but I was impressed. Ive always thought Cally made decent drivers.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:21 pm

Lord Helmet wrote:Funny...I hit that same driver yesterday. White shaft, metallic head. Thing is a bomber. Was hitting it against a used G20 (which is what I play) they also had. The Callaway was 15 yards longer, launched lower, and was equally as accurate as the ping.

I wont be buying it - but I was impressed. Ive always thought Cally made decent drivers.

as I said, 15+ I could believe... not 35+ disappointed
    Lord Helmet
    Lord Helmet

Post  Lord Helmet Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:04 pm

Pky6471 wrote:
    Lord Helmet wrote:Funny...I hit that same driver yesterday. White shaft, metallic head. Thing is a bomber. Was hitting it against a used G20 (which is what I play) they also had. The Callaway was 15 yards longer, launched lower, and was equally as accurate as the ping.

as I said, 15+ I could believe... not 35+ disappointed

35 is a bit outrageous i agree. 15 was impressive for me, but wasnt enough to drop 299 on the club. Im happy with my g20. There was a whole bunch of lefty titty drivers in the used bin. alot of 910 d2 and d3 models. Never seen that many in there before. I wanted to hit the new g25 driver, but alas, no lefty demo head.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:57 pm

By the time we factor in wind conditions, bla...bla... I don't want to spend that much money anyway... I have not bought any drivers >$75 yet on fleebay
    Poe4soul
    Poe4soul

Post  Poe4soul Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:29 pm

Pky6471 wrote:
    Poe4soul wrote:

One of GG employee was fitting him... Even so, I can't see how anyone could pick up 35-40 yds just like that... 15 +/- yds I could believe, but not 35-40

Correct with the distance. I've seen 20-25 yards but that's not typical unless their current driver is ill-fitted. Of course those simulators can be changed easily. Wind, altitude, etc. I don't trust them. I'm fine with using a LM to get numbers, especially spin and angle of decent, but I like to see the ball flight further than 10 feet.
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:00 am

Do you guys ever see any "Krank" Drivers lying around???...

Seriously try those out...
    jt1135
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:56 am

Nope, but I have a couple of geek drivers.
    JonT
    JonT

How Coul It Be? Empty

Post  JonT Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:07 am

The weather here has been typically Michigan winter like, unlike last year, so testing equipment outdoors (especially drivers) has been limited; so, the last week I went inside to use the simulator. The simulator at our local range probably sounds similar to the ones you guys talk about; it simulates a number of courses or can be used in a range mode where it measures total distance, carry, launch angle, ball speed, dispersion, and accumulated averages . According to the manager, who is a PGA pro, it measures accurately to his driver, and is about one club longer iron than his normal iron distances.

I tested three drivers last Friday, a Titleist 909d2 9.5 with a VooDoo stiff, 909d2 10.5 with a blue board regular, and a G20 10.5 with a stock TFC169 soft regular; best numbers were with the 909 VooDoo (245 total 13 degree launch), followed by the G20 (242 total 14 degree launch). If I had had a better launch angle, the G20 with a soft shaft may have gotten better numbers for distance; dispersion was about the same, slightly better average with the G 20. The results for the 909 with the blue board were really puzzling as I could barely hit it out of my shadow; 220 total best with most not even reaching 200 yards and dispersion 40 yards apart.

Yesterday, I returned with 909 blue board and tried, the new G25 10.5 with stock TFC regular, and the G20 with SR shaft this time with a 9.5 head. The two Ping drivers were just okay with about the same numbers I was getting Friday (launch was still to high 14-15*)but the 909 BB that I could barely get past 200 yards then, was giving me numbers exceeding 250 yards with a best of 258 straight down the pipe. The human factor number is surely unpredictable, especially with amateur's; makes scientific observation difficult;)
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:39 am

Fluffy wrote:Do you guys ever see any "Krank" Drivers lying around???...

I saw a Krank driver just the other day. It had a black head with two large red stripes across the crown and a lime green shaft from House of Forged. It was 6 degrees loft and appeared to be 47 inches long. They had it going for $150 and I almost jumped on it. There's no way I could have hit it with any accuracy, though.

But, you never know. Long Drive Champion 2013....? How Coul It Be? SEVeyesB08_th
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:36 am

FamousDavis wrote:
    Fluffy wrote:Do you guys ever see any "Krank" Drivers lying around???...

I saw a Krank driver just the other day. It had a black head with two large red stripes across the crown and a lime green shaft from House of Forged. It was 6 degrees loft and appeared to be 47 inches long. They had it going for $150 and I almost jumped on it. There's no way I could have hit it with any accuracy, though.

But, you never know. Long Drive Champion 2013....? How Coul It Be? SEVeyesB08_th

That wouldve gone for 3 times the price in south africa. Shit I wouldve bought it one time!!!
    Player
    Player

Post  Player Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:01 pm

I'm not a subscriber to the the theory that fitting can add big yards to your drives. Different lofts and shafts may make a small difference in carry distance and rol out, but IMO the real benefit of a good fitting is accuracy and ball flight. I have literally gamed dozens of drivers over the years of varying lofts and with multiple shafts, and I can honestly say that when hit out of the screws they are all within about 10 yards of each other. I have found a huge difference in control and accuracy with different set ups though. I need a solid shaft with low torque and a stiff tip to keep it in the fairway and stop it going left, but as far as distance goes I could get a 12 degree offset driver with a noodle shaft and still hit it long on the occassions I find the fairway.

Personally I think the shaft is the biggest deal with fitting. I could put virtually any head on a good shaft and get almost identical results.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:10 pm

JonT wrote:The weather here has been typically Michigan winter like, unlike last year, so testing equipment outdoors (especially drivers) has been limited; so, the last week I went inside to use the simulator. The simulator at our local range probably sounds similar to the ones you guys talk about; it simulates a number of courses or can be used in a range mode where it measures total distance, carry, launch angle, ball speed, dispersion, and accumulated averages . According to the manager, who is a PGA pro, it measures accurately to his driver, and is about one club longer iron than his normal iron distances.

I tested three drivers last Friday, a Titleist 909d2 9.5 with a VooDoo stiff, 909d2 10.5 with a blue board regular, and a G20 10.5 with a stock TFC169 soft regular; best numbers were with the 909 VooDoo (245 total 13 degree launch), followed by the G20 (242 total 14 degree launch). If I had had a better launch angle, the G20 with a soft shaft may have gotten better numbers for distance; dispersion was about the same, slightly better average with the G 20. The results for the 909 with the blue board were really puzzling as I could barely hit it out of my shadow; 220 total best with most not even reaching 200 yards and dispersion 40 yards apart.

Yesterday, I returned with 909 blue board and tried, the new G25 10.5 with stock TFC regular, and the G20 with SR shaft this time with a 9.5 head. The two Ping drivers were just okay with about the same numbers I was getting Friday (launch was still to high 14-15*)but the 909 BB that I could barely get past 200 yards then, was giving me numbers exceeding 250 yards with a best of 258 straight down the pipe. The human factor number is surely unpredictable, especially with amateur's; makes scientific observation difficult;)

Several years ago I bought a used 907D2 with the Blueboard made-for-Titleist in regular flex. Immediately took it to the range and couldn't hit it out of my shadow. On the way home, stopped off at the nearest rec field and hit about 10 drives with it using the game balls in my bag. Still not out of my shadow. Maybe a 220 carry with 10 yards roll. A week or two later, I bought a new Proforce V2 65 gram regular flex and installed it to play at 45", same as the Blueboard. On decent strikes, the V2 907 would carry 240-245 with another 20-30 yards of roll. You might enjoy the 909 with one of the made-for Matrix XCon shafts. If you can hit the VooDoo, you could hit a stiff flex in either 5 or 6 series Xcons.
    JonT
    JonT

Post  JonT Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:14 am

Mostly German wrote:
    JonT wrote:The weather here has been typically Michigan winter like, unlike last year, so testing equipment outdoors (especially drivers) has been limited; so, the last week I went inside to use the simulator. The simulator at our local range probably sounds similar to the ones you guys talk about; it simulates a number of courses or can be used in a range mode where it measures total distance, carry, launch angle, ball speed, dispersion, and accumulated averages . According to the manager, who is a PGA pro, it measures accurately to his driver, and is about one club longer iron than his normal iron distances.

Several years ago I bought a used 907D2 with the Blueboard made-for-Titleist in regular flex. Immediately took it to the range and couldn't hit it out of my shadow. On the way home, stopped off at the nearest rec field and hit about 10 drives with it using the game balls in my bag. Still not out of my shadow. Maybe a 220 carry with 10 yards roll. A week or two later, I bought a new Proforce V2 65 gram regular flex and installed it to play at 45", same as the Blueboard. On decent strikes, the V2 907 would carry 240-245 with another 20-30 yards of roll. You might enjoy the 909 with one of the made-for Matrix XCon shafts. If you can hit the VooDoo, you could hit a stiff flex in either 5 or 6 series Xcons.

I had a '07 Burner with a Matrix something-or-other x-con in it; I liked the shaft but the head sat closed, and I ended selling it for that reason. Recently, I sold the VooDoo stiff 909 for a regular; this was a good move despite the fact that the stiff felt smoother, the regular seems to require so little effort that I've been gaining confidence with every swing. The made for titleist blue board seems to have a Jekyll Hyde personality, for me anyway.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 11:55 am