The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+5
Pky6471
jmtbkr
Horseballs
Mongrel
FamousDavis
9 posters

Phil and his financial situation.

FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Phil and his financial situation.   Empty Phil and his financial situation.

Post  FamousDavis Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:42 pm

Poor Phil. He only makes $40 million per year and now he doesn't know what he's going to do with the new tax situation. Not only has he had to cancel purchasing the Padres but now he may be forced to move. I really feel sorry for the guy. It sounds like he must be really stressed out over the fact that he'll only be taking home about $18 million a year after taxes. That would be enough to keep me awake at night.

This guy is completely removed from reality. I have never liked the guy. I don't like the phony way he portrays himself as America's golfing sweatheart and I certainly don't like his know it all attitude. Most of the guys on tour don't like him either.
    His answers are scripted, he's critical of course design and he always speaks as if what he's saying is fact.

People will comment about the mindless Tiger fans. I think the Philly Mick fans are worse. At least Tiger makes it known that he doesn't like reporters or the press. He also thinks autographs are insincere on both his part and on the part of the fans and are basically a stupid thing. Phil, on the other hand, milks it for all it's worth and is one of the reasons why he makes so much money. He certainly doesn't make all that money from playing well. He's is arguably the most under-achieving golfer of his time, having way more talent than his record would indicate.

One can only hope this guy will fade away sooner rather than later. Here's one article:

http://news.yahoo.com/phil-mickelson-regrets-airing-opinion-taxes-150336637--golf.html
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Phil and his financial situation.   Empty Re: Phil and his financial situation.

Post  Mongrel Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:05 pm

Nothing personal to those of you who play that way but I've never liked left-handed golfers except for Bob Charles. Phil is supposedly a natural right hander in everything except golf. Some screw has been loose in that head for many years.

Some thoughts on Phil:

Phil spends way too much time on his short game. With all the little-ball gurus like Pelz and Stockton, he's bagging this, that and the other thing on a rotating basis and putting this, that or the other way depending on the phase of the moon and the recent Dow Trend-line. Phil needs to concentrate on his full swings and go out to the golf woodshed and beat balls until he can finish in balance with all his weight on his right foot and his left foot up on its big toe. Every time from driver to lob wedge.

People are often judged by the company they keep. Just as Tiger has befriended Rory, Phil has evidently taken it upon himself to mentor Keegan. OK, I made my choice.

Phil had gotten a lot of mileage out of his wife's battle with cancer. Perhaps this has brought more women and men from the Purple Ribbon Cult to tournament viewership. Perhaps Phil could let her suffer in private and just concentrate on playing better golf.

Phil has some sort of chronic arthritis that is evidently being controlled by some drug that he is being paid to tout in TV commercials. The disease can be an excuse for not keeping in golf shape and also an excuse to fans and sponsors so that they keep paying him and rooting for him. This disease also dovetails perfectly with the cancer.

Phil is evidently very conservative. So am I. However, if I got my knickers in an uproar because of drastic increase in my personal tax burden because of my domicile, I would change primary residences. Not like he can't afford it. And for the millions of California Dependents, they'd juwst tell him to not let the door hit him on his ass on the way out.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:18 pm

Pretty bad move by Phil from a PR standpoint. I can't fault him for feeling the way he does. Provided his numbers are correct, his combined taxation % is robbery.
    I don't find his answers to be scripted. If they are, he's got a pretty bad script-writer. He definitely isn't afraid to speak his mind and that is a good thing.
    Off the top of my head, he's been brutally honest. It certainly beats Tiger's scripts ("it's a process, I'm close, etc.")

Tiger playing inferior equipment.
    Taking on the USGA for the groove ruling.
    Skipping the Hawaii swing because of the courses, wind, and travel (many now skip them).
    Bitching about taxes.

You might not agree with any of his opinions, but he isn't afraid to air them.
    Also, a lot of younger players look up to him as a mentor. I believe that the arrogance and FIGJAM talk was from many years ago.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:26 pm

Horseballs wrote:Pretty bad move by Phil from a PR standpoint. I can't fault him for feeling the way he does. Provided his numbers are correct, his combined taxation % is robbery.
    I don't find his answers to be scripted. If they are, he's got a pretty bad script-writer. He definitely isn't afraid to speak his mind and that is a good thing.
    Off the top of my head, he's been brutally honest. It certainly beats Tiger's scripts ("it's a process, I'm close, etc.")

Skipping the Hawaii swing because of the courses, wind, and travel (many now skip them).
    Bitching about taxes.

Also, a lot of younger players look up to him as a mentor. I believe that the arrogance and FIGJAM talk was from many years ago.

You make some very good points. I should have pointed out that his post round interviews appear to be very scripted. Even so, you are correct that he's put himself out there with some of his comments.

jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:16 pm

I think the recent cold front to hit SoCal has affected his reasoning. When warmer temperatures return, so will his sense.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:59 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/michelle-obama-rolls-eyes-john-boehner-sets-internet-222930624--politics.html

Well, when we are in the public eyes, we need to be careful about our body language, how we express our point-of-view etc... because the USA media would take every opportunity to write up a story and open a can of sh$$t
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:01 pm

Pky6471 wrote:http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/michelle-obama-rolls-eyes-john-boehner-sets-internet-222930624--politics.html

Well, when we are in the public eyes, we need to be careful about our body language, how we express our point-of-view etc... because the USA media would take every opportunity to write up a story and open a can of sh$$t
    That's not just a can. That's a 55 gallon drum of shit down there in Washington, D.C.
    Poe4soul
    Poe4soul

Post  Poe4soul Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:20 pm

Pky6471 wrote:http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/michelle-obama-rolls-eyes-john-boehner-sets-internet-222930624--politics.html

I watched the video. Any married man/father would recognized that eye roll. I'd bet money her eye roll was in response to something Obama said.
    Golfaholic

Post  Golfaholic Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:50 pm

Half of my Pay Cheque gets eaten by taxes and I make a lot less than Phil. He can blow me.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:58 am

Golfaholic wrote:Half of my Pay Cheque gets eaten by taxes and I make a lot less than Phil. He can blow me.

That's what rubs people the wrong way about the complaining. He probably makes more in one day than most people do in a year. Not only that, but the idea of simply moving to cut your taxes by 10% seems pretty silly for someone who has lived in the same area for so long. He should have simply said that the new tax laws are outrageous. It's kind of a passive/aggressive way of making a political statement, similar to what he did when he put the Ping Eye 2 square groove wedges in his bag after the groove rule. It's like "well, if these are the rules then I'll just do this to counter it".
    Golfaholic

Post  Golfaholic Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:02 am

FamousDavis wrote:
    Golfaholic wrote:Half of my Pay Cheque gets eaten by taxes and I make a lot less than Phil. He can blow me.

That's what rubs people the wrong way about the complaining. He probably makes more in one day than most people do in a year. Not only that, but the idea of simply moving to cut your taxes by 10% seems pretty silly for someone who has lived in the same area for so long. He should have simply said that the new tax laws are outrageous. It's kind of a passive/aggressive way of making a political statement, similar to what he did when he put the Ping Eye 2 square groove wedges in his bag after the groove rule. It's like "well, if these are the rules then I'll just do this to counter it".

I don't think moving to avoid a big hit on taxes is silly. If I were him, I would move too.
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:17 am

FamousDavis wrote:

I wouldnt think its neccasarily that he wants the money for himself,already his, but Giving another 10% I would atleast want a say to where it is going....
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:38 pm

Golfaholic wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:

I don't think moving to avoid a big hit on taxes is silly. If I were him, I would move too.

Of course it's silly and reveals the personality of someone who doesn't understand what is important in life. Life is about friendships and being a part of something. You wouldn't care about all the friends you're leaving behind or your regular golfing buddies? I did that a few times for a job promotion and it was never worth it. In fact, it was horrible. You get to the new city, get settled in and suddenly realize you don't know anyone. You think to yourself "I did all of this for a 15% pay raise?".

I admire people who have lived in the same place for a long time.
    Golfaholic

Post  Golfaholic Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:55 pm

FamousDavis wrote:
    Golfaholic wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:

Life is about friendships and being a part of something. You wouldn't care about all the friends you're leaving behind or your regular golfing buddies?

I'm in the Military and in my trade, I get moved every 3-5 years. In the last 2 years I have lived in 4 different provinces, so I'm used to people coming and going from my life. The province I'm living in means diddly to me, other than Car Insurance rates and cost of living.
    trombettista_vecchio
    trombettista_vecchio

Post  trombettista_vecchio Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:51 pm

FamousDavis wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:Pretty bad move by Phil from a PR standpoint. I can't fault him for feeling the way he does. Provided his numbers are correct, his combined taxation % is robbery.

Bitching about taxes.

You make some very good points. I should have pointed out that his post round interviews appear to be very scripted. Even so, you are correct that he's put himself out there with some of his comments.

I agree about Tiger's crappy equipment.
    I hate the groove rule and ignore it.
    Hawaii is an inconvenient trip and the Pro Bowl should have been scrapped long ago.
    Disagree on taxes. Scandanavia has high taxes and may be the most civilized place on the planet if you're not Rooney Mara getting sodomized.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 4:05 pm