The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

4 posters

did you ever...?

Big Dave
    Big Dave

did you ever...? Empty did you ever...?

Post  Big Dave Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:30 am

... have to wait endlessly, vainly hoping you would find the exact duplicates of a favorite old set that you thought was gone from the face of the earth?

I've been pounding away at these Nike blades, because I found some with TT Black Gold shafts in S, for a few years now... my favorite old Adams Idea Pro Forged irons had finally worn out (irons do that when you hit them flush) Laughing

And I figured I'd never find another set in TT Black Gold, since Adams stopped using that shaft a long time ago.  

WRONG

Found a set in Golf Galaxy used rack.  They have midsize instead of standard grips...  I never got around to regripping that old set, so standard was what I was using.  I like midsize better.  :-)

They are otherwise exact duplicates of my Adams paddles, in perfect condition.

The Nikes can go back into the garage.  I liked playing blades, enjoyed hitting them well, but...  side by side, they cannot compare to the sweet mush of the flush of this Adams club.  It's almost 8 years now since they made these.  

Best.  Iron.  Ever.  love the short ones, love the mids...  there is no 4 or 3, they were a special construct with a plastic insert to fake the mush feel... that insert comes loose over time and the iron becomes unhittable with it in there (causes loss of distance when insert flaps at impact) and if you take out the insert, the clunk of the iron is unbearable.  

So my new set stops at 5 iron.  I have a 4-gaybrid but haven't finished searching for a good set of long irons that might match this thing.

Any recommendations for a seriously soft and mid-high flying long iron?  Not too much offset, these are pretty close to blade offset standard.  

I have a few extra TT Black Golds to put in, but I'd prefer a pro level club that was fitted with BG's.  

I do like to hit the long irons now and then.  If the grass is too lush or too wet, the gaybrids are bad news directionally speaking.  

Best.  Iron.  EVER.  Adams Idea Pro Forged, with TT Black Gold in Stiff.  Laughing
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

did you ever...? Empty Re: did you ever...?

Post  Mongrel Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:24 pm

As far as golf clubs, I've found that patience usually pays off. Sometimes a new club will be introduced like a driver or hybrid or wedge or something and I'll say to myself, "I'd really like one of those but at $xxx.99, there's no way." Fast forward a year or four and there it is in the used bin at the Galaxy or the Smith for a fraction of its MSRP.

Now I'm not familiar with those Adams irons but damn does Adams make a lot of different models of everything. I remember going into the local Golf Galaxy this past spring to root through the used bin for a hybrid or wedge and saw this unusual looking set of Adams irons on the display wall. So I took the PW and 7 iron and hit a bunch of balls with them in the launch monitor station. Distance, direction, launch and spin were all very good and the clubs felt wonderful, even with the KBS Tour stiff shafts in them. After awhile, I looked closer and they were Tour 90's so the lighter weight explained why they felt so good to me. Now the forged heads were very distinctive compact blade-like cavity backs and I had to go to Adams website into archives to find out which of their clubs I really liked. Turned out they are the Idea CB2's with a natural raw finish that is supposed to rust over time. They have circular brass weights in the rear towards the sole. The ones I hit had already turned from the new raw carbon steel color to a sort of faded bronze tone. They wanted $265 for the set of 3 through wedge. In retrospect, that was a pretty good deal.
    californiataxes

did you ever...? Empty Long Wait

Post  californiataxes Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:52 pm

Would you believe 38 years? That's how long I waited for the irons I play now, Macgregor VIP Limited.

I first saw them in July '71, when I went to LA with my dad for some convention. We stayed downtown at the Statler, which had a golf shop on the mezzanine selling pro line equipment. It was love at first sight. I couldn't afford them, but I had just started caddying, so I thought I'd snag them in the near future. But Macgregor discontinued the model (really tiny blades), and I never saw them again.  In my 30's I didn't spend much time in golf shops, so I never knew the company resurrected them for one year in 1990. Then one day in 2009 I was cruising Ebay and there was an unplayed set of the remakes. Even better, the updated model had extremely short hosels, long hosels being the only thing I didn't like about classic clubs.  I got them for $260 with new grips.  When they arrived, there was an extra bonus. The DG shafts were S300 in the 9-10, but unspecified flex 4-8. I speculate they're somewhere between R and S, since they're perfect for me and I can launch the 4-iron fairly high without undue effort.  If you haven't seen them, the muscle shape is like an MP-14 or TN-87. They seem to have a copper underlay.

Last edited by californiataxes on Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:55 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : misspelling)
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:24 am

Big Dave wrote:... have to wait endlessly, vainly hoping you would find the exact duplicates of a favorite old set that you thought was gone from the face of the earth?

I've been pounding away at these Nike blades, because I found some with TT Black Gold shafts in S, for a few years now... my favorite old Adams Idea Pro Forged irons had finally worn out (irons do that when you hit them flush) Laughing

And I figured I'd never find another set in TT Black Gold, since Adams stopped using that shaft a long time ago.  

WRONG

Found a set in Golf Galaxy used rack.  They have midsize instead of standard grips...  I never got around to regripping that old set, so standard was what I was using.  I like midsize better.  :-)

They are otherwise exact duplicates of my Adams paddles, in perfect condition.

The Nikes can go back into the garage.  I liked playing blades, enjoyed hitting them well, but...  side by side, they cannot compare to the sweet mush of the flush of this Adams club.  It's almost 8 years now since they made these.  

Best.  Iron.  Ever.  love the short ones, love the mids...  there is no 4 or 3, they were a special construct with a plastic insert to fake the mush feel... that insert comes loose over time and the iron becomes unhittable with it in there (causes loss of distance when insert flaps at impact) and if you take out the insert, the clunk of the iron is unbearable.  

So my new set stops at 5 iron.  I have a 4-gaybrid but haven't finished searching for a good set of long irons that might match this thing.

Any recommendations for a seriously soft and mid-high flying long iron?  Not too much offset, these are pretty close to blade offset standard.  

I have a few extra TT Black Golds to put in, but I'd prefer a pro level club that was fitted with BG's.  

I do like to hit the long irons now and then.  If the grass is too lush or too wet, the gaybrids are bad news directionally speaking.  

Best.  Iron.  EVER.  Adams Idea Pro Forged, with TT Black Gold in Stiff.  Laughing

Good to see that U are still around BIG Dave. How is life in Houston TX? Play Cypress Wood lately?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:09 pm