The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+4
jt1135
Kiwigolfer
Mongrel
Pky6471
8 posters

What Do You Do ???

Pky6471
    Pky6471

What Do You Do ??? Empty What Do You Do ???

Post  Pky6471 Sat May 24, 2014 4:51 am

There are 3 main ways to grip a golf club, (1) 10-finger grip (2) interlock grip and (3) Overlap grip. I've used interlock grip on golf course, did try the other 2 but never feel comfortable with them.

As far as interlock grip, most of us (I think) use 3 middle index fingers. In the past 2 range sessions, I experiment with only 2 index fingers and I hit balls much cleaner and better, In some way, I turn a baby fade to a baby draw.... Not sure why yet from the scientific standpoint. Guys/Girls/AC-DC : how do you hold your clubs?
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

What Do You Do ??? Empty Re: What Do You Do ???

Post  Mongrel Sat May 24, 2014 4:27 pm

I've mostly used the interlock grip since I was a child because I have short fingers like Nicklaus. Greg Norman has short fingers too but came up with his own special grip that I tried but it was too painful for my pinkies. I tried the baseball grip or 10 fingers some years ago when I played golf with my son and that's what he was using and hitting 300 yard drives with ease and 200 yard 5 irons. I could not control it.

Now last evening on my way home from work I got a new grip at Golf Galaxy. Actually, I was going to re-grip the driver I'd hoped would be my new gamer but did not buy a grip but bought a black Bionic Glove. I played 18 today at the Links at Gettysburg, a ball buster that makes Pilgrim Oak look like an easy dog track. This Bionic Grip is the best thing since sliced bread. Anyone old like us that might have some arthritis and trouble holding onto the club all the way through hard shots needs to try it.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Sat May 24, 2014 5:57 pm

Mongrel wrote:I've mostly used the interlock grip since I was a child because I have short fingers like Nicklaus. Greg Norman has short fingers too but came up with his own special grip that I tried but it was too painful for my pinkies. I tried the baseball grip or 10 fingers some years ago when I played golf with my son and that's what he was using and hitting 300 yard drives with ease and 200 yard 5 irons. I could not control it.

Now last evening on my way home from work I got a new grip at Golf Galaxy. Actually, I was going to re-grip the driver I'd hoped would be my new gamer but did not buy a grip but bought a black Bionic Glove. I played 18 today at the Links at Gettysburg, a ball buster that makes Pilgrim Oak look like an easy dog track. This Bionic Grip is the best thing since sliced bread. Anyone old like us that might have some arthritis and trouble holding onto the club all the way through hard shots needs to try it.
    What is it about this glove that you like? I heard about it, I saw it in GG, Dicks' and GS
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Sat May 24, 2014 8:57 pm

Overlapping grip for me. This is the grip I was shown years ago and I've always used it. I have tried the interlocking grip at the range and it has worked quite well but never really tried to take it onto the course. I think I tried once, hit a couple of poor shots and immediately abandoned it. It's hard to change old habits and what you are comfortable with.
    jt1135
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 Sun May 25, 2014 7:25 am

Started out with the interlock but switched to the overlap the last few years and works much better for me.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Sun May 25, 2014 9:35 am

perhaps "overlapping grip" would minimize tight gripping (?) , similar to/same effect as "3-finger vs. 2-finger index gripping?"
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Sun May 25, 2014 12:07 pm

Overlap for me. Started out 10 finger and moved to overlap a dozen years ago. Interlock feels restrictive to me, but maybe that's the point.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Sun May 25, 2014 3:59 pm

Interlock goes a good way towards taking "handsy" out of one's swing. For me it also helps prevent my hands from slipping on the grip throughout a shot no matter how fresh and squeaky clean those grips are. Of course it also can impede a release of the hands. So if your best contact and maximum distance come from the timing of your hands releasing during your swing, it would probably not be optimum for you. I have in the last year altered my swing to generate a body rotation release which has made my full swings with driver and irons and partial swings with irons much more reliable.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Sun May 25, 2014 4:32 pm

Horseballs wrote:Overlap for me. Started out 10 finger and moved to overlap a dozen years ago. Interlock feels restrictive to me, but maybe that's the point.
    I've tried overlap grips because I heard a lot of good thing about it , mainly "not too tight'" but for me I always feel 'too lose'... so I keep going back to interlock grip
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Tue May 27, 2014 8:15 am

Light grip pressure was a true game-changer for me about 5 years ago. I used to subconsciously tighten my grip as a began my swing. I know this because I would destroy grips and gloves at a breakneck pace, where I'd wear a hole in my left thumb in a matter of 3 or 4 rounds and need to replace grips three times a year.
    It took me a while to trust that my hands and wrists would naturally get into a good position if I don't exert any force. I still forget this from time to time.
    jt1135
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 Tue May 27, 2014 9:25 pm

Horseballs wrote:Light grip pressure was a true game-changer for me about 5 years ago.  I used to subconsciously tighten my grip as a began my swing.  I know this because I would destroy grips and gloves at a breakneck pace, where I'd wear a hole in my left thumb in a matter of 3 or 4 rounds and need to replace grips three times a year.  
    It took me a while to trust that my hands and wrists would naturally get into a good position if I don't exert any force.  I still forget this from time to time.

Used to do the same thing HB. Finally figured out that wringing the phuckers neck, the grip, didn't work. I truly love this game as it is a game that you never stop learning.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Wed May 28, 2014 8:04 am

jt1135 wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:Light grip pressure was a true game-changer for me about 5 years ago.  I used to subconsciously tighten my grip as a began my swing.  I know this because I would destroy grips and gloves at a breakneck pace, where I'd wear a hole in my left thumb in a matter of 3 or 4 rounds and need to replace grips three times a year.  
    It took me a while to trust that my hands and wrists would naturally get into a good position if I don't exert any force.  I still forget this from time to time.

Used to do the same thing HB.  Finally figured out that wringing the phuckers neck, the grip, didn't work.  I truly love this game as it is a game that you never stop learning.
    True. Remembering what I've already learned is always a challenge. Seems like I'll pick up a new swing thought, ingrain that, then forget to do something else.
    I recently found an old index card where I used to write down all my swing thoughts. It was in a coffee table that got relegated to the basement when we moved 5 years ago. Funny stuff, but some is still relevant.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Thu May 29, 2014 9:35 am

Horseballs wrote:
    jt1135 wrote:

Used to do the same thing HB.  Finally figured out that wringing the phuckers neck, the grip, didn't work.  I truly love this game as it is a game that you never stop learning.
    True.  Remembering what I've already learned is always a challenge.  Seems like I'll pick up a new swing thought, ingrain that, then forget to do something else.  
    I recently found an old index card where I used to write down all my swing thoughts.  It was in a coffee table that got relegated to the basement when we moved 5 years ago.  Funny stuff, but some is still relevant.  

Agree with you all... I hit a ball better with lighter grip pressure... NO DOUBT
    trombettista_vecchio
    trombettista_vecchio

Post  trombettista_vecchio Thu May 29, 2014 8:05 pm

I used the interlocking grip in the very beginning but switched to overlapping grip early on and used it for decades.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:30 am

Mongrel wrote:I've mostly used the interlock grip since I was a child because I have short fingers like Nicklaus. Greg Norman has short fingers too but came up with his own special grip that I tried but it was too painful for my pinkies. I tried the baseball grip or 10 fingers some years ago when I played golf with my son and that's what he was using and hitting 300 yard drives with ease and 200 yard 5 irons. I could not control it.

Sorry about your dog. Wish it had been my gf's instead.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:42 am

Tjhanks. We've got his ashy remains in a really nice carved box on top of the entertainment center in the lower level TV/Rec room. He was a good dog. Now there are many ways to clip someone else's dog without much risk of getting caught. Although its best to avoid any chance of autopsy.
    jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:41 pm

[quote="Mongrel"]Tjhanks. We've got his ashy remains in a really nice carved box on top of the entertainment center in the lower level TV/Rec room. He was a good dog. Now there are many ways to clip someone else's dog without much risk of getting caught. Although its best to avoid any chance of autopsy.[/quote

I have my cats' ashes in the bottom of the curio cabinet Crying or Very sad 

Many years ago I dosed the neighbors' dog because it would bark all nite.  Evil or Very Mad 

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:49 pm