The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

4 posters

Patrick Reed wins at Doral

FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Patrick Reed wins at Doral Empty Patrick Reed wins at Doral

Post  FamousDavis Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:57 am

Man is his wife cute or what? This guy has a very strong game and it appears that his swing is so honed-in that it doesn't fail under pressure. He's a bit cocky but I like that. I'd rather hear some guy talk about how he's going to be a top 5 player over some golly wally type who says he got lucky.

What's odd about Reed is that he's only 23 but he looks like he's 33. He's a bit on the portly side.

Horseballs
    Horseballs

Patrick Reed wins at Doral Empty Re: Patrick Reed wins at Doral

Post  Horseballs Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:56 am

FamousDavis wrote:Man is his wife cute or what?  This guy has a very strong game and it appears that his swing is so honed-in that it doesn't fail under pressure.  He's a bit cocky but I like that.  I'd rather hear some guy talk about how he's going to be a top 5 player over some golly wally type who says he got lucky.  

What's odd about Reed is that he's only 23 but he looks like he's 33.  He's a bit on the portly side.  

I am having a hard time following pro golf this year. I watched none of this tournament, but I did see that Tiger blamed his back again. If I was his doctor, I check to see that he doesn't have an overactive gag reflex, because he is certainly choking big time on Sundays. Zing.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:36 am

Horseballs wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:Man is his wife cute or what?  This guy has a very strong game and it appears that his swing is so honed-in that it doesn't fail under pressure.  He's a bit cocky but I like that.  I'd rather hear some guy talk about how he's going to be a top 5 player over some golly wally type who says he got lucky.  

What's odd about Reed is that he's only 23 but he looks like he's 33.  He's a bit on the portly side.  

I am having a hard time following pro golf this year.  I watched none of this tournament, but I did see that Tiger blamed his back again.  If I was his doctor, I check to see that he doesn't have an overactive gag reflex, because he is certainly choking big time on Sundays.  Zing.  

I've never seen any golfer have more problems health-wise than Tiger. Sure, there are some golfers that have literally been sidelined due to injuries but Tiger seems to have more of a wide-range of potential injuries than anyone. Back, Neck, Knee, Achillees, Ankle, Shin, you name it. I honestly think that the heavy weight training screwed him up.

His swing looks terrible. He doesn't flick his wrists through at impact. It's all arms.

They ruined that course, BTW. It's way too tough now. Most of us would not break 100 at that course if we played the same tees.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:56 pm

FamousDavis wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:

I am having a hard time following pro golf this year.  I watched none of this tournament, but I did see that Tiger blamed his back again.  If I was his doctor, I check to see that he doesn't have an overactive gag reflex, because he is certainly choking big time on Sundays.  Zing.  

I've never seen any golfer have more problems health-wise than Tiger.  Sure, there are some golfers that have literally been sidelined due to injuries but Tiger seems to have more of a wide-range of potential injuries than anyone.  Back, Neck, Knee, Achillees, Ankle, Shin, you name it.  I honestly think that the heavy weight training screwed him up.  

His swing looks terrible.  He doesn't flick his wrists through at impact.  It's all arms.  

They ruined that course, BTW.   It's way too tough now.   Most of us would not break 100 at that course if we played the same tees.  
    My theory on Tiger is that he doesn't have a very high pain tolerance. Have you ever seen his reaction when he hits a bunker shot into the wind? It's like he's been punched in the face by Tyson. He is also a huge drama queen. If he pulls an iron shot 15 feet left he lets go of the club and looks away in disgust. Combine the low pain threshold, his drama queen personality, drug testing on the PGA Tour, and a back ache, and you've got the boy who cried wolf.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:06 pm

Horseballs wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:

I've never seen any golfer have more problems health-wise than Tiger.  Sure, there are some golfers that have literally been sidelined due to injuries but Tiger seems to have more of a wide-range of potential injuries than anyone.  Back, Neck, Knee, Achillees, Ankle, Shin, you name it.  I honestly think that the heavy weight training screwed him up.  

His swing looks terrible.  He doesn't flick his wrists through at impact.  It's all arms.  

They ruined that course, BTW.   It's way too tough now.   Most of us would not break 100 at that course if we played the same tees.  
    My theory on Tiger is that he doesn't have a very high pain tolerance.  Have you ever seen his reaction when he hits a bunker shot into the wind?  It's like he's been punched in the face by Tyson.  He is also a huge drama queen.  If he pulls an iron shot 15 feet left he lets go of the club and looks away in disgust.  Combine the low pain threshold, his drama queen personality, drug testing on the PGA Tour, and a back ache, and you've got the boy who cried wolf.  

I think there's a bit of faking going on. The tournament last year where he hit a bad shot into the water and fell to his knees? I call BS on that one.

I honestly think that Nike equipment has cost Tiger about 10 tournaments. It's just garbage. I hit one of those Covert drivers the other day and it was 20 yards short of the new Big Bertha. Didn't even feel good. They need to fire their entire R&D team. Why can't they make equipment that, at a minimum, is appealing to the eye?

Anyone who says that Rory's swing woes have nothing to do with equipment is in denial. There is no denying the fact that players who switch to Nike equipment play worse. Anthony Kim, Tiger Woods, Rory Mcilroy, Nick Watney and charles Schwartzkoff are just a few of the examples. Tiger was WAY better with Titleist.

These are the undisputed facts.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:08 pm

By the way, I really like the small feel and intimacy of this forum.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:21 pm

I certainly don't know about all Nike equipment, but a guy I play with got the Covert last year and immediately started hitting it worse. I don't know a single person who has Nike irons.

Is the Callaway driver any good?
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:26 pm

Horseballs wrote:I certainly don't know about all Nike equipment, but a guy I play with got the Covert last year and immediately started hitting it worse.  I don't know a single person who has Nike irons.  

Is the Callaway driver any good?  

I can't think of any Nike golf equipment that has ever appealed to me. I guess I could have played with the Sasquatch but it sounded horrible. I think Nike's problem is that it's a shoe company that happens to be making golf clubs. It must be some kind of management problem where one person can't get out of the way and let the actual golfers make the equipment.

I'm not surprised. I lived across the street from a guy who was a design engineer for Callaway. I knew more about their equipment and upcoming equipment than he did. He sucked at golf, too. I couldn't believe it when I'd discuss upcoming Callaway products and he didn't know anything about it. I'm like "how can this be?"
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:31 pm

The Sasquatch was a game-changer for one of my good friends, but that thing was unbelievably loud.

A chopper friend of mine had the Slingshot irons that would whistle. Damn those things were terrible.
    rooteen
    rooteen

Post  rooteen Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:40 am

mate of mine had a nike ignite driver. went ok,sounded ok, looked ok until it broke.......
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:40 am

I thought Patrick Reed was great in victory and was right to call out the field based on his play. His wife is cute but she really needs to lose a lot of weight.

Although he's had his ups and downs, Trump has performed a miracle with this golf course. If it was not a Trump course and if Trump were not on the premises, I'm sure you would have seen and heard half the field whining in post-round interviews and on social media outlets like Arsebook and Twatter about how unfair the course is and how cruel the set-up was et cet., ya ya ya ad nauseum.

This proves that Trump should be the next president of the United States of America. So that he could blow it up and rebuild it like he had done with Doral.

I have had only one piece of Nike kit and it is a three wood. The T-60 that has been lauded in every review I've ever read. Bought it under $30 at Play It Again. What a piece of shite it is. Tried four or five shafts in it but nada el worko. So the head sits in my workshed on the bench oxidizing away. Oh, I do have a few pairs of Nike socks that my wife gave me for Christmas. They are good socks and the high ones (almost to the knee) came in handy this winter when I had to wear my rubber boonie boots in the snow.

One thing about Patrick Reed: he plays Callaway gear. That company just lost Ernie Els to Adams ("Own the second shot.") so they needed a replacement who will have a long, distinguished, career. Reed will win the Masters in April and might have a good shot at Pinehurst Number Two. I hope after those two Major victories that he proclaims himself to be the best golfer who ever played the game and that Bobbie Jones was a f*ggot and Hogan was a p*ssy and all the golf writers and golf talking heads get their panties all twisted up in estrogenic outrage.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:13 am

Someone needs to explain to Reed that playing excellent golf isn't even half the equation if he wants to get paid. Look at Rickie Fowler. That guy is all over TV, magazines, etc., and he has one single win. Vijay Singh, OTOH, won a ton of prize money but didn't cash in as much as he should have in sponsorship dollars because he was boring.
    Reed needs to incorporate a few situps in between range sessions or wear some weird clothes if he's going to make a big splash with sponsors. Ian Poulter has maximized his marketability and cash flow despite being a middle of the road pro with less career PGA Tour wins than Reed.
    And honestly, Reed is just another young white dude on a hot streak. There is nothing unique about the guy, nothing memorable either. Maybe his niche could be being an asshole. He should crank up his bravado to Ali levels or treat his post round interviews like Ric Flair or Richard Sherman.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:16 pm

Horseballs wrote:Someone needs to explain to Reed that playing excellent golf isn't even half the equation if he wants to get paid.  Look at Rickie Fowler.  That guy is all over TV, magazines, etc., and he has one single win.  Vijay Singh, OTOH, won a ton of prize money but didn't cash in as much as he should have in sponsorship dollars because he was boring.  
    Reed needs to incorporate a few situps in between range sessions or wear some weird clothes if he's going to make a big splash with sponsors.  Ian Poulter has maximized his marketability and cash flow despite being a middle of the road pro with less career PGA Tour wins than Reed.  
    And honestly, Reed is just another young white dude on a hot streak.  There is nothing unique about the guy, nothing memorable either.  Maybe his niche could be being an asshole.  He should crank up his bravado to Ali levels or treat his post round interviews like Ric Flair or Richard Sherman.  

He's got a bad physique, a bad walk and a snot nosed attitude. I can only imagine sitting across from him at a pub table and listening to him rant about how great he is. No thanks. Unfortunately, he's got all kinds of forums calling him a DB and that's pretty much ruined his marketability.

Just think about how stupid it is for him to go on national TV and declare himself a Top 5 player. I see no upside. How could declaring that, as well as talking about all of your past accomplishments, help him in any way? The only thing it could do is hurt him.

The act in itself makes me question his ability to be a star player and someone who is going to last in that type of arena. Rory Sabbattini definitely comes to mind.

I'm one of those rare people who don't mind a bit of cockiness and over the top confidence. However, I know that most people do. So, if I'm part of a sport where marketing dollars are bigger than prize money, I would have to be a complete idiot to go on national television and talk openly about how great I am and that I'm a top 5 player before I've earned it.

Can anyone here think of an upside to Reed calling himself a top 5 player? I can't think of one. Plenty of downside.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:29 am

95% of the tour guys are male-model slender. It is refreshing to see a chunky young buck with both long and short game whup their lanky butts. A real solid guy who's got his head firmly between his shoulders at such a young age. You will never see him adorned with fairy dust attire like Poulter and Fowler but he will walk his walk in the footsteps of other chunky pros who made their indelible marks on the game like Cabrera ("The Duck") and Nicklaus ("The Bear").
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:12 am

Mongrel wrote:95% of the tour guys are male-model slender. It is refreshing to see a chunky young buck with both long and short game whup their lanky butts. A real solid guy who's got his head firmly between his shoulders at such a young age. You will never see him adorned with fairy dust attire like Poulter and Fowler but he will walk his walk in the footsteps of other chunky pros who made their indelible marks on the game like Cabrera ("The Duck") and Nicklaus ("The Bear").
    Agreed, but he shouldn't b!tch publicly about other guys getting better endorsement deals like he did last year.
    This chip on his shoulder is entirely his own making with a very simple remedy.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:20 am

Horseballs wrote:
    Mongrel wrote:95% of the tour guys are male-model slender. It is refreshing to see a chunky young buck with both long and short game whup their lanky butts. A real solid guy who's got his head firmly between his shoulders at such a young age. You will never see him adorned with fairy dust attire like Poulter and Fowler but he will walk his walk in the footsteps of other chunky pros who made their indelible marks on the game like Cabrera ("The Duck") and Nicklaus ("The Bear").
    Agreed, but he shouldn't b!tch publicly about other guys getting better endorsement deals like he did last year.  
    This chip on his shoulder is entirely his own making with a very simple remedy.

I guess I don't understand how he could complain about other guys getting better endorsement deals. Why would Nike or Callaway want to pay some who is chunky, hairy and a bit insolent as much money as they do to someone who is fit, good looking and humble? Reed isn't going to sell more shirts.

Now, I will say that his wins have generated some interest in me to try the new Big Bertha Pro Series driver. Even a highly intelligent person like myself is not immune to associative conditioning and marketing.

Reed and his caddy wife could make millions if he were to lose weight and they created this fairytale-like partnership and marriage.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:22 pm

Last year Reed played Nike clubs and ball. This year its all Callaway. Dumping Nike gear endears him to me. Tiger needs to do same and get some clubs that he can hit without torquing his body to shreds. And a softer ball so that he doesn't have to swing so hard. Getting old is just getting old. You can't deny it.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:32 pm

Mongrel wrote:Last year Reed played Nike clubs and ball. This year its all Callaway. Dumping Nike gear endears him to me. Tiger needs to do same and get some clubs that he can hit without torquing his body to shreds. And a softer ball so that he doesn't have to swing so hard. Getting old is just getting old. You can't deny it.

I agree. Callaway makes some good stuff. I would argue that Nike clothing is superior to Callaway's. Rory looks better in his Nike clothing. Too bad he can't hit the ball straight.

I think the Puma and Oakley clothing looks the best.

Kuchar always looks like a dork to me. Those shoes have got to go.

The golfer who looks the silliest in his clothes is Louis Ousthasien (or however you spell it). He has this tiny upper body and wears the boat shoes.

I try not to judge.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:33 am

Other factors influencing my Patrick Reed opinion: before she got knocked up, she caddied for him and I think he won two PGA tournaments with her on the bag. This is unprecidented on the PGA tour but can be seen on the senior tour and in the minor leagues. Then when she's in gestation mode, he hires her brother to carry the bag. This tells me that the guy is pretty sure of what he's doing and doesn't need the services of a psychiatrist, civil engineer, physicist, message therapist, or spiritual guru on the golf course.

The guy figured out how to play 72 holes on a course that, due to its rebuild, none of the other competitors had played on, either.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:13 am

Mongrel wrote:Other factors influencing my Patrick Reed opinion: before she got knocked up, she caddied for him and I think he won two PGA tournaments with her on the bag. This is unprecidented on the PGA tour but can be seen on the senior tour and in the minor leagues. Then when she's in gestation mode, he hires her brother to carry the bag. This tells me that the guy is pretty sure of what he's doing and doesn't need the services of a psychiatrist, civil engineer, physicist, message therapist, or spiritual guru on the golf course.

The guy figured out how to play 72 holes on a course that, due to its rebuild, none of the other competitors had played on, either.

His wife on the bag for two wins and then her brother going to caddy school for 30 days and getting a win tells me one thing....

....caddies are overrated. I truly believe this. Now, I will agree that a professional caddy who has been trained and knows the ropes is absolutely necessary. However, all of the caddies on the professional tour meet this criteria. Stevie may be one of the better caddies out there but he's always caddied for great players. Tiger would have won all of those majors with Fluff or anyone else on the bag. Look at Nicklaus' caddy.

Didn't Stevie caddy for Norman before Tiger? What does that tell you?

I hope Reed's wife continues to caddy for him. She's cute and it makes a good story. I get the feeling they have sort of a team mentality and it's them against the other players.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 10:38 am