The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+6
Horseballs
Pky6471
Hubijerk
Lorenzzo
Poe4soul
FamousDavis
10 posters

I need to do something about my wedge game.

FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

I need to do something about my wedge game.   Empty I need to do something about my wedge game.

Post  FamousDavis Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:33 pm

Played last Sunday. Like an idiot, I was trying out some different irons and left my gap wedge out of the bag (Ping iwedge 52). On at least 7 or 8 occasions I had somewhere around 60 to 80 yards to the green and each time I hit a shot that was much worse than my handicap level.

My deal is that I can't seem to get the right ball flight with a sand wedge from the fairway. It seems like the ball goes too high and loses distance. If I have 80 yards to the green my sand wedge will almost always come up short. At the same time, I feel like 80 yards is too short for a gap wedge that I normally hit 100 yards.

Part of the deal is that I just don't like hitting a traditional looking sand wedge from the fairway. In fact I hate it. I love using my Titleist Vokey out of the sand and for short pitches around the green but I'm horrible with hit from the fairway.

There are two things I'm going to do to help alleviate this problem. 1) I'm going to do everything possible to never leave myself 30 to 80 yards from the green and 2) I may purchase a sand wedge that matches my iron set.

The two sets I have now are Taylormade Tour Burners and Ping i5 irons. Both sand wedges for these sets are 54 degrees loft. That might be the perfect fit to get the yardage up to a full 80 yards and I'm sure I'll find them easier to hit from the fairway. They may not be as functional out of the sand but I'm willing to make that sacrifice.

Poe4soul
    Poe4soul

I need to do something about my wedge game.   Empty Re: I need to do something about my wedge game.

Post  Poe4soul Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:02 pm

FamousDavis wrote:Played last Sunday.  Like an idiot, I was trying out some different irons and left my gap wedge out of the bag (Ping iwedge 52).   On at least 7 or 8 occasions I had somewhere around 60 to 80 yards to the green and each time I hit a shot that was much worse than my handicap level.  

My deal is that I can't seem to get the right ball flight with a sand wedge from the fairway.  It seems like the ball goes too high and loses distance.  If I have 80 yards to the green my sand wedge will almost always come up short.  At the same time, I feel like 80 yards is too short for a gap wedge that I normally hit 100 yards.  

Part of the deal is that I just don't like hitting a traditional looking sand wedge from the fairway.  In fact I hate it.  I love using my Titleist Vokey out of the sand and for short pitches around the green but I'm horrible with hit from the fairway.  

There are two things I'm going to do to help alleviate this problem.  1) I'm going to do everything possible to never leave myself 30 to 80 yards from the green and 2) I may purchase a sand wedge that matches my iron set.  

The two sets I have now are Taylormade Tour Burners and Ping i5 irons.   Both sand wedges for these sets are 54 degrees loft.   That might be the perfect fit to get the yardage up to a full 80 yards and I'm sure I'll find them easier to hit from the fairway.   They may not be as functional out of the sand but I'm willing to make that sacrifice.  

Why don't you just use a 5 iron and bump-n-run it to the green?
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

I need to do something about my wedge game.   Empty Re: I need to do something about my wedge game.

Post  Lorenzzo Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:34 pm

Have you tried hitting those shots as if they were just big chips? Don't tell me you can't chip either.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:39 pm

Poe4soul wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:Played last Sunday.  Like an idiot, I was trying out some different irons and left my gap wedge out of the bag (Ping iwedge 52).   On at least 7 or 8 occasions I had somewhere around 60 to 80 yards to the green and each time I hit a shot that was much worse than my handicap level.  

My deal is that I can't seem to get the right ball flight with a sand wedge from the fairway.  It seems like the ball goes too high and loses distance.  If I have 80 yards to the green my sand wedge will almost always come up short.  At the same time, I feel like 80 yards is too short for a gap wedge that I normally hit 100 yards.  

Part of the deal is that I just don't like hitting a traditional looking sand wedge from the fairway.  In fact I hate it.  I love using my Titleist Vokey out of the sand and for short pitches around the green but I'm horrible with hit from the fairway.  

There are two things I'm going to do to help alleviate this problem.  1) I'm going to do everything possible to never leave myself 30 to 80 yards from the green and 2) I may purchase a sand wedge that matches my iron set.  

The two sets I have now are Taylormade Tour Burners and Ping i5 irons.   Both sand wedges for these sets are 54 degrees loft.   That might be the perfect fit to get the yardage up to a full 80 yards and I'm sure I'll find them easier to hit from the fairway.   They may not be as functional out of the sand but I'm willing to make that sacrifice.  

Ah, very good, very good.

Actually, the bump and run isn't a shot I think of when I'm more than 30 yards from the green. Too many variables. I only bump and run when I'm within 20 yards of the green. Unless I'm playing at Muirfield or Royal County Down.

The trouble I'm having has something to do with being too stiff and not turning enough. The miss is pretty consistent, though, in that I usually hit it too high, a little toward the toe and it feels like it's sliding off the club.

On what Zo said, I don't really think of a pitch as being in the same swing category as a chip. I agree with Dave Pelz on a couple things and one of those is that there are different games within the game of golf and each one is approached differently.
    Hubijerk
    Hubijerk

Post  Hubijerk Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:00 am

You could be onto something with rotation, the thing is your're pitch shots and wedges will be like a mini swing, I have had to change the way I approach these shots because I have changed my full swing... If you have some issues in you're full swing that you compensate for they tend to show up in you're wedge game. I'm much less hands and arms and way more body now, if I'm having trouble with mid range wedge shots I head to the practice bunker and hit bunker shots of varying length with the focus being on rotating my shoulders'torso, I use the amount of rotation to control the distance. That is now how I hit my wedges... Scott piercy is a good example of someone who has worked on getting his body more into his wedge shots and his wedge game has improved... watch some older footage compared with recent footage and see the difference... But it depends on you're swing, if you're more upright you are going to rely on timing more than someone with a simpler and flatter swing.

spend a half hour in the sand varying you're distance by controlling you're body turn and rotating towards the target, don't hit one the same distance consecutively... then go hit some wedges and see what happens... Also watch you're spine angle, try bending over a bit more at the waist, or if you feel like you;re crowded move back a bit, just play around with it, just remember what changes you made so you can do it again when you find something that works... it's all just trial and error provided you feel that you're mechanics are good. There is no magic pill for short wedge shots, they have a way of exposing even the smallest of swing issues.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:55 am

FamousDavis wrote:
    Poe4soul wrote:

Actually, the bump and run isn't a shot I think of when I'm more than 30 yards from the green.  Too many variables.  I only bump and run when I'm within 20 yards of the green.  Unless I'm playing at Muirfield or Royal County Down.  

The trouble I'm having has something to do with being too stiff and not turning enough.  The miss is pretty consistent, though, in that I usually hit it too high, a little toward the toe and it feels like it's sliding off the club.  

On what Zo said, I don't really think of a pitch as being in the same swing category as a chip.  I agree with Dave Pelz on a couple things and one of those is that there are different games within the game of golf and each one is approached differently.  

How's it working for you? The big chip is the easiest mid wedge technique ever devised. Good drill to get feel even if you don't take the technique with you on the course.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:36 am

FamousDavis wrote:
    Poe4soul wrote:

Actually, the bump and run isn't a shot I think of when I'm more than 30 yards from the green.  Too many variables.  I only bump and run when I'm within 20 yards of the green.  Unless I'm playing at Muirfield or Royal County Down.  

The trouble I'm having has something to do with being too stiff and not turning enough.  The miss is pretty consistent, though, in that I usually hit it too high, a little toward the toe and it feels like it's sliding off the club.  

On what Zo said, I don't really think of a pitch as being in the same swing category as a chip.  I agree with Dave Pelz on a couple things and one of those is that there are different games within the game of golf and each one is approached differently.  

Have U talked to Lerry ?
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:25 am

I've really improved my less than full wedge game in the past year or so. I don't think it's an equipment issue for you. I've been keeping my weight on my front foot, taking a shorter backswing, and beginning my hip turn earlier. The arms are along for the ride and I make sure to try to come into the ball shallow. Not that I am always shallow, but it's a thought that keeps me from being steep, which causes issues with ball flight and distance control. It was pretty crazy getting used to just how short of a backswing is required for a 60-70 yard shot.
    I also have incorporated this thought into a lot more wedge shots. I'll often hit one more club and use this technique.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:22 am

That's shot distance is probably the arch nemesis of most golfers.
    This may sound silly, but I have been thinking of those shots lately in terms of feet, instead of yards. It's a more finite number in terms of distance, and more relative. My 53 with low bounce is for those shots though. I don't use my 58 around the greens, very much, to much loft and to much bounce.
    It may be time to put the Ping Eye 2 back in the bag?
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:55 am

I found a rather strange way to dial in those type of shots. The "magic" 20-80 yard range pitches. I bought a used Mizuno MP-R 54/08 awhile ago. I loved its appearance but could not hit the damn thing to save my life with either full or partial swings, no matter where I played it in my stance and no matter if I came into the ball flat or steep. I tried several difference weights and flexes of shafts I have lying around and nothing worked. Then one day when I was in a "sole-searching" mood, I picked it up and really studied the bottom of the club. This wedge has a bit of prominence right in the middle of the leading edge and an almost full width sole right under the middle of the face "sweet spot" area and has pretty drastic relief at the heel and toe. So what I figured out was that I had to try to hit this thing right in the middle of the face instead of near the hosel like I do with every other iron. Which is probably based on playing nothing but forged blades growiing up and right next to the hosel is where the sweet spot was. So now this is my favorite wedge for everything except for low runners or off tight pack sand. Get some good spin off it too.
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:17 am

Anything below 99yards for me is a guessing game....

Its much easier then having a clock system....Have tried the clock system and I can only do the 3/4 swing perfect each time....And thats 99yards for me.

I feel the swingspeed and acceleration determines where one's ball will land and how high it goes....
    Poe4soul
    Poe4soul

Post  Poe4soul Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:10 am

Horseballs wrote:I've really improved my less than full wedge game in the past year or so.  I don't think it's an equipment issue for you.  I've been keeping my weight on my front foot, taking a shorter backswing, and beginning my hip turn earlier.  The arms are along for the ride and I make sure to try to come into the ball shallow.  Not that I am always shallow, but it's a thought that keeps me from being steep, which causes issues with ball flight and distance control.  It was pretty crazy getting used to just how short of a backswing is required for a 60-70 yard shot.  
    I also have incorporated this thought into a lot more wedge shots.  I'll often hit one more club and use this technique.  

I agree on the short backswing. Deceleration is the biggest mistake on touch shots, be it a short putt, a 3/4 wedge, etc. All kinds of fualts happen when you decelerate. High and short seems very likely. Making an abreviated backswing will ensure a commitment to the shot.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:34 pm

Poe4soul wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:I've really improved my less than full wedge game in the past year or so.  I don't think it's an equipment issue for you.  I've been keeping my weight on my front foot, taking a shorter backswing, and beginning my hip turn earlier.  The arms are along for the ride and I make sure to try to come into the ball shallow.  Not that I am always shallow, but it's a thought that keeps me from being steep, which causes issues with ball flight and distance control.  It was pretty crazy getting used to just how short of a backswing is required for a 60-70 yard shot.  
    I also have incorporated this thought into a lot more wedge shots.  I'll often hit one more club and use this technique.  

I agree on the short backswing.  Deceleration is the biggest mistake on touch shots, be it a short putt, a 3/4 wedge, etc. All kinds of fualts happen when you decelerate.  High and short seems very likely.  Making an abreviated backswing will ensure a commitment to the shot.  

As far as the abbreviated backswing, not abreviated Poe, I was focusing on that a couple weeks ago, and hit so many times, further than normal, it was almost a revelation. I was begining to feel a lttle like Steve Stricker though, it felt so unnatural I couldn't continue, and went back to just keeping my wrist out of the swing with much better results. That was earlier this year, I was catching my self decelerating with drastic results, on those touch shots. 12s tip on taking distance off around the greens, with some semblance of accuracy.
    pingman360
    pingman360

Post  pingman360 Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:37 pm

I would look at the handle location, as well as the rehinging/overtaking and acceleration rates first....
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:22 pm

Chipping/pitching "i think" at its best....All my chips are just as aggressive .... alot easier and more spin. And some others for your entertainment.

Kewl ball flight vids

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 12:37 am