The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

5 posters

The new not so big Dave

Big Dave
    Big Dave

The new not so big Dave Empty The new not so big Dave

Post  Big Dave Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:54 am

Swinging the old soup bowl... Weight 268, lowest in more than ten years. 20 more to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhQ2u_GjL6Q
    Big Dave
    Big Dave

The new not so big Dave Empty Re: The new not so big Dave

Post  Big Dave Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:56 am

Swinging the new Ping Tour S 52 gapper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHMvuiJmza0
    Big Dave
    Big Dave

Post  Big Dave Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:05 am

Okay, so 6'4" and 268 are still big enough. I am keeping the nick. That, or I am taking "Carlos Danger".
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:24 am

Whatever your weight, your swing looks real good on the vids and the sound indicates to me perfect tempo both with the driver and wedge. Over the past few years, my weight has gotten down now to 190 +/- a few. The day I got home on leave from basic training in February of
    1968, I weighed 190. No special diet. No special exercise regimen. Lately, I've been getting back to hitting solid irons like I did when I was in my 40's. The iron shots where my swing makes that swish sound and I can hear the balls spinning off the clubface off tight lies. Yeah. So your 248 ain't bad for 6'4". I'm about 6' and might gain a few back after my dental reconstruction project gets completed. I feel like an old car with a lot of klicks where every so often, something breaks and you got to replace some parts. The eyes are next. Not being able to see a perfect drive or five iron land is frustrating. Even using those yellow balls. Some of the guys I play with get pissed when I ask them if they saw where my shot landed. Usually in the fairway or somewhere on the green and maybe close to the hole. They think I'm just being arrogant or an asshole but I really can't see most of them after about 130 yards.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:55 am

I've lost close to 7 pounds.  My goal is to lose another 7 and then I'll be at my ideal weight or possibly even under it.  I've been lifting weights 2 to 3 times per week and have been very careful to progress slowly with increasing the weight I"m lifting.   Per HB's advice, I've been doing several sets of squats and I think that's made a big difference in buring the calories.  It's amazing how exhausted I am and out of breath I am after Squats.  I'm very careful when doing them and I go very slow, which is even better for the workout.  Maybe I'll even get some of my ass back.  

I do the standard barbell squat with an olympic bar and a 35 pound weight on both sides.  I know that's light but I prefer it that way because I can actually feel the muscles stretching and it feels safe.  The bar itself is actually attached on both sides to a mechanism that slides up and down on a rack.  It's like lifting free weights but with a safety catch on the sides.  

The next squat I do is with a dumbell.  I hole a 50 pound dumbell with both hands, palms up.  I let it hang down and then lower myself into the squatting position and back up again.  It's great for balance.
    The new not so big Dave Emoticon-animal-053
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:08 pm

Hey buddy.join the club....

I am 6'6".....Weighed myself just now and on google 122kg converts into 268.964pounds....

Also recently attached "a" driver swing post 118 "on the course" topic.

The swing sounds solid....The ping tour S wedges really need a good swing not to be chunked on every shot...That grind is far to sharp for my liking.
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:10 pm

FamousDavis wrote:I've lost close to 7 pounds.  My goal is to lose another 7 and then I'll be at my ideal weight or possibly even under it.  I've been lifting weights 2 to 3 times per week and have been very careful to progress slowly with increasing the weight I"m lifting.   Per HB's advice, I've been doing several sets of squats and I think that's made a big difference in buring the calories.  It's amazing how exhausted I am and out of breath I am after Squats.  I'm very careful when doing them and I go very slow, which is even better for the workout.  Maybe I'll even get some of my ass back.  

I do the standard barbell squat with an olympic bar and a 35 pound weight on both sides.  I know that's light but I prefer it that way because I can actually feel the muscles stretching and it feels safe.  The bar itself is actually attached on both sides to a mechanism that slides up and down on a rack.  It's like lifting free weights but with a safety catch on the sides.  

The next squat I do is with a dumbell.  I hole a 50 pound dumbell with both hands, palms up.  I let it hang down and then lower myself into the squatting position and back up again.  It's great for balance.
    The new not so big Dave Emoticon-animal-053

Legs.....i hate doing legs.....The only time I recommend doing legs is between 20:00 at night and 03:00 in the morning with the missus...
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:53 pm

Congrats on your progress Dave.  Curious as to how much you've lost in total and if you know how your blood pressure's changed.

Aerobic exercise used to be considered better than anaerobic for metabolism and weight loss.  Now it's the other way around. And the biggest muscles that have the greatest impact are in our legs. I've been doing some kind of squat type exercise for over 35 years. I'm currently at more than  475 lbs but on a leg press machine where you're on your back.

Due to working out and activity, I burn calories almost as well as in my 20-s.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:32 pm

If you are at more than 475 pounds and in good shape, you must be a really tall Italian dude.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:29 pm

Mongrel wrote:If you are at more than 475 pounds and in good shape, you must be a really tall Italian dude.

At 6'2" one of the tallest.
    Big Dave
    Big Dave

Post  Big Dave Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:57 pm

Fluffy wrote:Hey buddy.join the club....

I am 6'6".....Weighed myself just now and on google 122kg converts into 268.964pounds....

Also recently attached "a" driver swing post 118 "on the course" topic.

The swing sounds solid....The ping tour S wedges really need a good swing not to be chunked on every shot...That grind is far to sharp for my liking.
    Jebus fluffy... When you hit the ball, they gotta get a new one. You look like a long driving champ. You sure know how to make a guy feel old and weak. :-)

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 6:30 am