The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+8
jmtbkr
Kiwigolfer
Lorenzzo
FamousDavis
rooteen
Mongrel
Pky6471
Big Dave
12 posters

almost ready

Big Dave
    Big Dave

almost ready Empty almost ready

Post  Big Dave Sat May 25, 2013 4:04 pm

I know it's almost June, but... I've been busy, and I've been losing weight.... I hit two big buckets today and the knee didn't hurt, so I'm all in and getting ready to hit the course. Should have a round to report in the next week or two. This is the five iron, working on a balanced finish and overall tempo. I'm a hair quick but making good contact.

I'm down about 27 lbs from six weeks ago. From two years ago, I'm down 56 lbs.

Pretty soon I"m gonna go get a six-pack sprayed on. ;-)

Pky6471
    Pky6471

almost ready Empty Re: almost ready

Post  Pky6471 Sat May 25, 2013 6:26 pm

Big Dave wrote:I know it's almost June, but... I've been busy, and I've been losing weight.... I hit two big buckets today and the knee didn't hurt, so I'm all in and getting ready to hit the course. Should have a round to report in the next week or two. This is the five iron, working on a balanced finish and overall tempo. I'm a hair quick but making good contact.

I'm down about 27 lbs from six weeks ago. From two years ago, I'm down 56 lbs.

Pretty soon I"m gonna go get a six-pack sprayed on. ;-)

Congrats big Dave, it's tough to lose wt at your age, the discipline has to be there...
    Darn, U still lift your body up on your back swing Laughing and look like it's your old Cleveland Hibore XLS driver ?
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Sat May 25, 2013 7:48 pm

He lifts up on the backswing but his tempo is so good that its obviously ingrained in his swing DNA. I used to do that but changed my swing and now rotate my shoulders around my spine which remains static throughout the swing. Not as much pop or distance but a whole lot more reliability of ball contact. Losing weight is tough. For the past several years mine has been between two and eight pounds above what it was when I finished USN basic training in San Diego in February of 1968 when I was in the best shape of my life. In order to get it there over the past twenty years, I quit drinking all forms of alcohol and soft drinks and went on a regimen of a few vitamins/supplements. No workouts. No gym time. No Weight Watchers type crap food or any of that shit.
    rooteen
    rooteen

Post  rooteen Sat May 25, 2013 9:47 pm

Hat is off to you Dave. I have been doing the same thing for the last 5 weeks. Had a fitness/bio age test with my work and it turns out my blood pressure is pretty much rooted. So i decided to change pretty much everything, almost no alcohol, one coffee a day and completely changed eating habits. Also running every second night and on the exercise bike every other night. Lost 5.8 kilos since i started, haven't been back to the doc yet to see if its made a difference to the blood pressure or not, but like you the knees,ankles etc are feeling much better anyway. One thing that has happened though is my golf game has gone to shit. Not sure if its the changing body shape or i just don't hit balls anymore cause i too busy working out!
    Keep us updated on your progress, i will need it as motivation!!
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Sat May 25, 2013 11:45 pm

Mongrel wrote:He lifts up on the backswing but his tempo is so good that its obviously ingrained in his swing DNA. I used to do that but changed my swing and now rotate my shoulders around my spine which remains static throughout the swing. Not as much pop or distance but a whole lot more reliability of ball contact. Losing weight is tough. For the past several years mine has been between two and eight pounds above what it was when I finished USN basic training in San Diego in February of 1968 when I was in the best shape of my life. In order to get it there over the past twenty years, I quit drinking all forms of alcohol and soft drinks and went on a regimen of a few vitamins/supplements. No workouts. No gym time. No Weight Watchers type crap food or any of that shit.

Dave has a sound swing and can hit it huge distances when it all comes together. I think tempo is more important than anything in the golf swing and he has good tempo. He needs to play more.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Sun May 26, 2013 12:24 am

Way to go Dave. Aside from bringing down our health care costs, odds are you'll live a longer, healthier life. You should see the fit, old people up here, they're amazing.
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Mon May 27, 2013 5:49 am

Looking good (not so) Big Dave. Glad to hear you dropped a few pounds and it's helping with your health. Hope you start playing regularly again.

Would love to see another battle with FD and a rematch with SoonerBS is long overdue. Wink

Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Mon May 27, 2013 4:27 pm

FamousDavis wrote:
    Mongrel wrote:He lifts up on the backswing but his tempo is so good that its obviously ingrained in his swing DNA. I used to do that but changed my swing and now rotate my shoulders around my spine which remains static throughout the swing. Not as much pop or distance but a whole lot more reliability of ball contact. Losing weight is tough. For the past several years mine has been between two and eight pounds above what it was when I finished USN basic training in San Diego in February of 1968 when I was in the best shape of my life. In order to get it there over the past twenty years, I quit drinking all forms of alcohol and soft drinks and went on a regimen of a few vitamins/supplements. No workouts. No gym time. No Weight Watchers type crap food or any of that shit.

Dave has a sound swing and can hit it huge distances when it all comes together. I think tempo is more important than anything in the golf swing and he has good tempo. He needs to play more.
    Some guys seem to have been born with great tempo which leads to great ball-striking and Dave looks like one of those from the vids. You have played with him so you know what he's about. You look like you've got the same skill set. Both you guys would need to spot me beaucoup strokes.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Tue May 28, 2013 4:06 am

Mongrel wrote:Some guys seem to have been born with great tempo which leads to great ball-striking and Dave looks like one of those from the vids. You have played with him so you know what he's about. You look like you've got the same skill set. Both you guys would need to spot me beaucoup strokes.

No doubt that big Dave has a nice tempo... IMO, FD has a strange swing but evidently effective.
    Mongrel: I played a round at Back Creek and you are correct about Top Flite Gamer V2, good ball but get dirty very easily, most likely won't buy it again
    http://backcreekgc.com/
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Tue May 28, 2013 8:30 am

The V2's that I bought recently don't get nearly as dirty as the original Gamers. However, they don't spin like them either and my opinion is that they are fine for my shag bag but will not be putting them in play unless I have won a match and am just finishing the 18 holes. Then I was in the Golfsmith Saturday and read the boxes of the Gamer V2 and the Gamer V2 Tour model. Whereas the original Gamer had a urethane cover, now you have to pay $26 for the Tour version to get urethane. So screw that. I'm a Duo man. For the time being.
    jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr Tue May 28, 2013 8:53 am

You just dropped your club at the end? What's up with that?

I hand mine to my caddie Razz
    Player
    Player

Post  Player Tue May 28, 2013 5:42 pm

rooteen wrote:Hat is off to you Dave. I have been doing the same thing for the last 5 weeks. Had a fitness/bio age test with my work and it turns out my blood pressure is pretty much rooted. So i decided to change pretty much everything, almost no alcohol, one coffee a day and completely changed eating habits. Also running every second night and on the exercise bike every other night. Lost 5.8 kilos since i started, haven't been back to the doc yet to see if its made a difference to the blood pressure or not, but like you the knees,ankles etc are feeling much better anyway. One thing that has happened though is my golf game has gone to shit. Not sure if its the changing body shape or i just don't hit balls anymore cause i too busy working out!
    Sounds like you are on the right track, but if you really want results add some resistance training to your routine. It will make you stronger and help lose weight, and will improve circulation. Another big bonus of a sensible stregth training regime is stronger bones and less stress on joints plus a stronger core, which means better, pain free golf. Just make sure you dont use heavy weights as that sort of training will fuk your joints up. Using your own body weight with push ups, pull ups and sit ups will make a big difference to your strength, although pull ups are hard for people who arent used to them. I also use a total gym at home, set on medium resistance but doing a matrix routine which really puts muscles under stress without any stress on the joints. I have only got back on the total gym for a few weeks but have already noticed big gains in strength doing push ups.
    rooteen
    rooteen

Post  rooteen Wed May 29, 2013 5:39 am

Player wrote:
    rooteen wrote:Hat is off to you Dave. I have been doing the same thing for the last 5 weeks. Had a fitness/bio age test with my work and it turns out my blood pressure is pretty much rooted. So i decided to change pretty much everything, almost no alcohol, one coffee a day and completely changed eating habits. Also running every second night and on the exercise bike every other night. Lost 5.8 kilos since i started, haven't been back to the doc yet to see if its made a difference to the blood pressure or not, but like you the knees,ankles etc are feeling much better anyway. One thing that has happened though is my golf game has gone to shit. Not sure if its the changing body shape or i just don't hit balls anymore cause i too busy working out!
    Sounds like you are on the right track, but if you really want results add some resistance training to your routine. It will make you stronger and help lose weight, and will improve circulation. Another big bonus of a sensible stregth training regime is stronger bones and less stress on joints plus a stronger core, which means better, pain free golf. Just make sure you dont use heavy weights as that sort of training will fuk your joints up. Using your own body weight with push ups, pull ups and sit ups will make a big difference to your strength, although pull ups are hard for people who arent used to them. I also use a total gym at home, set on medium resistance but doing a matrix routine which really puts muscles under stress without any stress on the joints. I have only got back on the total gym for a few weeks but have already noticed big gains in strength doing push ups.

On to it Player. As part of our test we were given some resistance bands an an exercise program to go with them. At first i dismissed it as i spent 10 odd years in the gym as a youngster cranking free weights etc, but i have found if i use strict form with the bands you can get a good workout. I guess my goals at my age are a bit different than what they used to be.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Wed May 29, 2013 8:10 am

Yes, I've noticed the trend with heavy weights too. I always feel like I've gotten a great workout and notice significant gains, but I just don't feel well when I've been lifting big for any extended period of time. Things just generally hurt. Same thing with running for me. I'm good for about one or two runs per week, nothing more than about 4 or 5 miles per. Anything more and I get knee and hip problems.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Wed May 29, 2013 10:36 am

I've always lifted medium to heavy, doing 8-10X3 and occasionally up to 5x3. The whole point of lifting is to damage tissue, only muscle tissue not joint. So heavy gives better results but does put one at risk and the older one is the more risk.

Since the first of the year, I've switched to 3x10-s but, more significantly, except for bench I switch everything every day I work out. Even with bench I won't do it more than 2 out of 3 workouts. The results have been efficient and much less demanding than traditional heavy lifting where I usually did the same thing more or less for 4-5 months.

The other important thing is form. As much as many trainers are ignorant and or douches, a good one can help with form and greatly improve results and reduce injury risk. We all do things incorrectly without someone else checking out what we're doing.

A lot of this depends on your goals. The only way muscles really grow is by lifting more weight. Otherwise apparent gains are just post workout bloating and increased definition from conditioning and weight loss. So young guys that want mass or geezers like me who want to offset natural aging related weight loss benefit from heavy.

Guys in their 30-s that don't want to grow mass do fine with routines designed for women.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Wed May 29, 2013 11:04 am

Lorenzzo wrote:I've always lifted medium to heavy, doing 8-10X3 and occasionally up to 5x3. The whole point of lifting is to damage tissue, only muscle tissue not joint. So heavy gives better results but does put one at risk and the older one is the more risk.

Since the first of the year, I've switched to 3x10-s but, more significantly, except for bench I switch everything every day I work out. Even with bench I won't do it more than 2 out of 3 workouts. The results have been efficient and much less demanding than traditional heavy lifting where I usually did the same thing more or less for 4-5 months.

The other important thing is form. As much as many trainers are ignorant and or douches, a good one can help with form and greatly improve results and reduce injury risk. We all do things incorrectly without someone else checking out what we're doing.

A lot of this depends on your goals. The only way muscles really grow is by lifting more weight. Otherwise apparent gains are just post workout bloating and increased definition from conditioning and weight loss. So young guys that want mass or geezers like me who want to offset natural aging related weight loss benefit from heavy.

Guys in their 30-s that don't want to grow mass do fine with routines designed for women.
    3x10 isn't heavy. 8-6-4-2 with last rep failure on every set is heavy. I do 3x8 or 3x10 now, so I guess I'm lifting "Lorenzo heavy"
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Wed May 29, 2013 11:15 am

Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:I've always lifted medium to heavy, doing 8-10X3 and occasionally up to 5x3. The whole point of lifting is to damage tissue, only muscle tissue not joint. So heavy gives better results but does put one at risk and the older one is the more risk.

3x10 isn't heavy. 8-6-4-2 with last rep failure on every set is heavy. I do 3x8 or 3x10 now, so I guess I'm lifting "Lorenzo heavy"

Well, not true in terms of what's generally defined. The breakpoint is failure at 8-10. More reps to failure is moderate or light. At that or lower is heavy.

Poe4soul
    Poe4soul

Post  Poe4soul Wed May 29, 2013 1:53 pm

Horseballs wrote:

I guess I'm lifting "Zo heavy" as well. Bench, squat and dead's all with warm up of 12 (bar only), 10 and 8 both light and 3 set's of 5 heavy. I've been working with a power lifting coach. It's been interesting to learn the deadlift. I've been formally taught squat and bench but never taught the deadlift. Great exercise and I'm liking it more than the squat.

That said, this is the last week I'm doing off season weight workouts. I'll be moving back to functional movement stuff for the golf season. It's hard to swing a club when you can hardly put a ball on the tee without falling down due to leg fatigue. Not to mention the swing speed is suffering a bit.
    rooteen
    rooteen

Post  rooteen Wed May 29, 2013 4:59 pm

Horseballs wrote:Yes, I've noticed the trend with heavy weights too. I always feel like I've gotten a great workout and notice significant gains, but I just don't feel well when I've been lifting big for any extended period of time. Things just generally hurt. Same thing with running for me. I'm good for about one or two runs per week, nothing more than about 4 or 5 miles per. Anything more and I get knee and hip problems.

Thats why i have been alternating treadmill/running with the exercise bike. I get a bit sore in the ankles and knees if i do consecutive days of running. Just great getting older! I'm very close to buying a bike for some road rides, then i can join that mountain bike forum. Now there's some motivation!!
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Thu May 30, 2013 12:22 am

Lorenzzo wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:

Well, not true in terms of what's generally defined. The breakpoint is failure at 8-10. More reps to failure is moderate or light. At that or lower is heavy.

One of the toughest things to do when lifting weights is to give your various muscle groups enough rest between workouts. The tendency is to work out every muscle group every other day of the week. By doing this, you don't give your muscles enough time to repair and rebuild themselves. You can tell if you're working out a muscle group too often if you can't lift as much weight during the next session. If you do bench, flys, incline and decline all in one day it might be best to wait 5 days until doing those exercises again.

There have been times in the past when I've taken off a whole week. When I get back into the gym I feel stronger than ever.
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Thu May 30, 2013 7:08 am

rooteen wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:Yes, I've noticed the trend with heavy weights too. I always feel like I've gotten a great workout and notice significant gains, but I just don't feel well when I've been lifting big for any extended period of time. Things just generally hurt. Same thing with running for me. I'm good for about one or two runs per week, nothing more than about 4 or 5 miles per. Anything more and I get knee and hip problems.

Thats why i have been alternating treadmill/running with the exercise bike. I get a bit sore in the ankles and knees if i do consecutive days of running. Just great getting older! I'm very close to buying a bike for some road rides, then i can join that mountain bike forum. Now there's some motivation!!

Skip the road riding disappointed and get a mountain bike. I'm sure you already have a car for the road. afro

Road riding sux. Mountain biking rocks.
    jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr Thu May 30, 2013 7:13 am

rooteen wrote:

Joining a MTB forum with a road bike is a sure way to be ripped to shreds. You think it's fun here? just try that $hit on MTBR.
    I MTB and road ride and use different forums for each. I consider myself a mountain biker who rides the road on off days. I wear MTB attire and MTB shoes and I'm constantly looked down upon by the 'roadies'. Fuk 'em!

If you do get a road bike, do not buy aluminum. Very harsh ride. Get a good steel bike (853 or 631 steel) or carbon fibre. I ride a combination of the two - hey good song name! Steel frame with carbon stays, fork, stem and bar.
    Big Dave
    Big Dave

Post  Big Dave Thu May 30, 2013 7:20 am

jmtbkr wrote:
    rooteen wrote:

Joining a MTB forum with a road bike is a sure way to be ripped to shreds. You think it's fun here? just try that $hit on MTBR.
    I MTB and road ride and use different forums for each. I consider myself a mountain biker who rides the road on off days. I wear MTB attire and MTB shoes and I'm constantly looked down upon by the 'roadies'. Fuk 'em!

If you do get a road bike, do not buy aluminum. Very harsh ride. Get a good steel bike (853 or 631 steel) or carbon fibre. I ride a combination of the two - hey good song name! Steel frame with carbon stays, fork, stem and bar.

Part of the way I"m losing weight is riding. I do have an aluminum bike, but it's got front shocks/springs and the tires are big enough to take some of the harshness out also. Not a lot of hills to climb down here in Houston but I can do ten or twelve miles a day on it. I'm really not in that bad a condition, just too heavy and with bad joints. The heart/lungs are good and most days I feel strong enough. I ride the perimeter of the golf course, about half grass and half sidewalk, so it's a good combo for fitness. I'll never enter any races or join any flatbelly forums for biking, but it's a way to exercise that doesn't destroy my knees, so that's what I do.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Thu May 30, 2013 8:33 am

FD, in a perfect world, you'd wait a week before lifting the same muscle group again. A lot of the exercises work out similar muscles, so it's tough to avoid it, but it's a good thing to do all the "push" muscles in one day, and the "pull" muscles in another. And within those workouts, do the big muscles first. Like if you are working out push muscles, that would include chest, shoulders and triceps. Anything where you move weight away from your body. I'd make sure to do chest first, because that works out shoulders and triceps secondarily. On pull days, do back first.
    When I'm pressed for time, I'll skip the smaller muscle groups like biceps, triceps, and shoulders. Legs just generally suck, but are the most important of all. Your ass and thighs are the biggest muscles in your body, and can increase the most muscle. Working out legs with weight is the best way to lose pounds.

Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Thu May 30, 2013 8:37 am

Kiwigolfer wrote:
    rooteen wrote:

Skip the road riding disappointed and get a mountain bike. I'm sure you already have a car for the road. afro

Road riding sux. Mountain biking rocks.
    I guess, but mtb always seemed more like a fun activity and not a workout. So much stopping and starting, plus slowing down to avoid killing yourself. Road riding is a grind, but your legs never stop moving. I don't understand why people love road biking so much, because it's a total pain in the ass (literally). I also don't understand how people get into spinning. I've done some of those classes and the clock doesn't move.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 1:34 pm