The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+10
Pky6471
edgey
Mongrel
jt1135
Olderplayer
Homeslice
Big Dave
Lorenzzo
Kiwigolfer
Horseballs
14 posters

A little piece of my soul just died

Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

A little piece of my soul just died - Page 2 Empty Re: A little piece of my soul just died

Post  Kiwigolfer Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:12 pm

Horseballs wrote:
    Kiwigolfer wrote:Maybe it's time to let go of some of that old GR prejudice. After all I bought a Skycaddie NAH bought CG 16's, JonT is playing Ping shovels and FD is playing GFF blades. WTF? So what I am saying is that times change, we move on, things evolve. Maybe bagging a SC after all those years of hatred is just a natural progression. So I say good luck with your new Scotty. If it turns out to be a keeper you don't need to rationalize your purchase. On the other hand if it turns out to be a dog you can go back to hating SC. A win win situation.
    You could be right. I now have a laser range finder, despite years of calling them "chopper binoculars." It was much easier when everyone stood on principal for so many trivial things. For everything below, each GR member had a clear stance, and would mercilessly attack anyone on the other side.

Lessons/Dirt
    Hybrids/Long Irons
    Blades/CBs
    Range Finders/GPS
    Cart/Walk
    Draw/Fade
    Putting Grip

I also have a laser rangefinder in addition to the Skycaddie. There are a couple of advantages to the laser.

1. When you are playing an unfamiliar course you can pick targets off the tee in order to decide where to aim and what club to use. I was playing some courses in the South Island last week on rugged links style courses where there were many blind holes and the line to hit wasn't always obvious. Being able to laser a tree, rock or hazard was very handy.

2. You can take it anywhere and don't need to download the course. Several times now I have played courses where they have changed the layout of certain holes or moved the green rendering the Skycaddie about as useful as tits on a bull.

One advantage the Skycaddie has is that you don't need a line of sight to the target and a quick glance is all that is required. Also I find the laser hard to lock onto the pin from further that about 165.
    edgey
    edgey

A little piece of my soul just died - Page 2 Empty Re: A little piece of my soul just died

Post  edgey Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:19 pm

I used to have a Skycaddie but got rid of it for a laser. The greens at my course are mostly elevated and huge (some are 30+ yards long) and it is difficult to see where the flag is, rendering the Skycaddie U/S. The laser makes it much easier and I dont have to upload courses etc.

Havent missed GPS since getting the Bushnell
    Big Dave
    Big Dave

Post  Big Dave Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:50 pm

edgey wrote:I used to have a Skycaddie but got rid of it for a laser. The greens at my course are mostly elevated and huge (some are 30+ yards long) and it is difficult to see where the flag is, rendering the Skycaddie U/S. The laser makes it much easier and I dont have to upload courses etc.

My Bushnell won't find a flag at anything over 125 yards, and I have to shoot the men standing on the green to get anything after that. On bright sunny days it's seriously U/S. I use an app on the iPhone for gps, and you can DL the course as you're driving up. It wil create scorecards for you and when you're done it gives you the option to shoot a snap of the players that day. Welcome to Caddy Shack, GR Euro Champion.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:57 pm

Big Dave wrote:
    edgey wrote:I used to have a Skycaddie but got rid of it for a laser. The greens at my course are mostly elevated and huge (some are 30+ yards long) and it is difficult to see where the flag is, rendering the Skycaddie U/S. The laser makes it much easier and I dont have to upload courses etc.

My Bushnell won't find a flag at anything over 125 yards, and I have to shoot the men standing on the green to get anything after that. On bright sunny days it's seriously U/S. I use an app on the iPhone for gps, and you can DL the course as you're driving up. It wil create scorecards for you and when you're done it gives you the option to shoot a snap of the players that day. Welcome to Caddy Shack, GR Euro Champion.
    Seriously? Mine is pretty legit from long range. I may get a couple numbers toggling back and forth, but it's pretty obvious which one is correct.
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:03 pm

I have the Bushnell too but the Skycaddie works great at my home course. We have very deep greens too but we also have red, white and blue flags indicating front centre or back of the green which can be the difference between say a 9 iron and 7 iron. The Skycaddie is quicker as it just takes a quick glance and feels less pretentious but the laser is great for shorter distances where you want more precision. The danger with the laser from long distance is picking up a tree or something behind the green instead of the flag. Wink
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:09 pm

Big Dave wrote:My Bushnell won't find a flag at anything over 125 yards, and I have to shoot the men standing on the green to get anything after that. On bright sunny days it's seriously U/S. I use an app on the iPhone for gps, and you can DL the course as you're driving up. It wil create scorecards for you and when you're done it gives you the option to shoot a snap of the players that day. Welcome to Caddy Shack, GR Euro Champion.

What model do you have Dave? I have the Bushnell V2 and it can pick targets 300-400m away. Of course I can't hold it steady enough to laser a pin from that range but it's pretty good anywhere from 150m and in.

Last edited by Kiwigolfer on Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:53 am; edited 1 time in total
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:12 pm

My Nikon (Callway 500) model can easily shoot 500 yds out (but who needs that). I don't think they make that model anymore. Just replaced a battery after 3 yrs... Wonderful toy
    edgey
    edgey

Post  edgey Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:19 pm

I have the Tournament 1600 (Non Slope)

Large but very effective
    Olderplayer
    Olderplayer

Post  Olderplayer Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:59 pm

Big Dave wrote:

Maybe you are getting a bit shakey in your dotage Big Dave. You have to hold it more steady the further the distance, but my V2 is pretty easy to about 175 meters. You are using pinseeeker I presume.
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:52 pm

Olderplayer wrote: You are using pinseeeker I presume.

Of course but the GFF is the real pinseeker technology in the bag.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:19 pm

Kiwigolfer wrote:
    Olderplayer wrote: You are using pinseeeker I presume.

Of course but the GFF is the real pinseeker technology in the bag.
    Being the traditionalist that I am, I never use the pinseeker, magnification, or any other "game improvement" features on my rangefinder. I'm already guilty of a self-professed b!tchmove, I don't need to make this any worse.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:25 pm

I have two golf measurement devices. The first is a Skycaddie 2.5 that works very well. However, I can't stand the fact that I have to download courses to it and renew my membership. Plus, you can only have about 25 courses on it at any one time. Needless to say, I'm not renewing this time around.

I've used each type of measurement device and IMO the LaserLink Rangefinder is by far the best. You simply point the laser at the glass orbs on the flagstick and within a second you have the EXACT distance to the flag. I have found nothing better or easier to use. I've used the same 9 volt battery in it for over a year. I bought it new off Craiglist from some dufus for $50.

Now, the only problem with that device is that it requires the flagsticks to have the glass orbs in them. If the course doesn't have those, then you need to use GPS or a Bushnell rangefinder. I, for one, prefer GPS and I'm very inclined to buy one of those watches. I'll probably go with the Bushnell, seeing that it's more square and manly looking than the Garmin.

That way, when I'm out on the town and someone asks me what time it is I can say "it's 8:30pm sir, and it's 8,348 yards to the hole".
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:05 pm

Kiwigolfer wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:
    Olderplayer wrote:Will somebody in this conversation stop quoting already.
    Soon one post will taken up the whole freakin page.

If you had an Apple machine it would be no problem to follow along. Where it can get tricky is when someone misses the proper place to start their post after quoting and then you have to do research to see where their post begins. This means you Mongrel.

I think we should go for a record on multiple quotes so that it spills onto several pages. OP's post here is the perfect place to start.

We can cover things like people that put down equipment for years and then wishy wash themselves into owning it just before it's obsolete. That's a person who should never invest in the stock market. Or anything else for that matter.

If you agree or disagree, quote this. I'll respond by quoting you, etc.

I totally agree. What's more we need to test our new forums capacity by pushing it to the limit and seeing how it performs. A bit like a new car. You don't just commute to work in it. You take it out to a quiet stretch of freeway late at night and really let rip. We knew our old forum inside out, understood her quirks and limitations. It's time to find out what caddyshack.forumotion has got!

Well, if we're going to test it........
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /

/
    /
    /
    //
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /

Let's test it.

Skycaddies are worthless, you can eyeball the distance just as accurately. Poe knows what's up with this. You need a laser. In theory the ones that hit the reflector on the flag stick ought to be effective, but two players using them in my old group routinely would get 2-4 yard differences shooting from the same spot.
    Poe4soul
    Poe4soul

Post  Poe4soul Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:22 pm

Lorenzzo wrote:
    Kiwigolfer wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:

If you had an Apple machine it would be no problem to follow along. Where it can get tricky is when someone misses the proper place to start their post after quoting and then you have to do research to see where their post begins. This means you Mongrel.

I think we should go for a record on multiple quotes so that it spills onto several pages. OP's post here is the perfect place to start.

We can cover things like people that put down equipment for years and then wishy wash themselves into owning it just before it's obsolete. That's a person who should never invest in the stock market. Or anything else for that matter.

I totally agree. What's more we need to test our new forums capacity by pushing it to the limit and seeing how it performs. A bit like a new car. You don't just commute to work in it. You take it out to a quiet stretch of freeway late at night and really let rip. We knew our old forum inside out, understood her quirks and limitations. It's time to find out what caddyshack.forumotion has got!

/
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /

/
    /
    /
    //
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /

Let's test it.

Skycaddies are worthless, you can eyeball the distance just as accurately. Poe knows what's up with this. You need a laser. In theory the ones that hit the reflector on the flag stick ought to be effective, but two players using them in my old group routinely would get 2-4 yard differences shooting from the same spot.

I'm too tiered to tell. Those reflector/orb things are called prisms. Does it matter if they are different as long as yours is repeatable? I usually see 1-2 yards different between the two repeated measurements. I just average.

there was an article in golf digest a few months ago about caddies. Pane Stewart's caddie gave him a distance of 175 yards (or something like that). His competitor's caddie stepped off the distance and told his man 178 to the pin. Pane biatched, "WTF is it 175 or 178?" realizing that his caddie had been rounding off distances all day. His caddie replied. "Pane, you're not that good." Neither am I. Only RSF "The Range Rat" larry could hit a ball within 1-2 yards. 2-4 would be good enough for me.

This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:31 pm

poe4soul wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:
    Kiwigolfer wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:

/
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /

/
    /
    /
    //
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /

Let's test it.

I'm too tiered to tell. Those reflector/orb things are called prisms. Does it matter if they are different as long as yours is repeatable? I usually see 1-2 yards different between the two repeated measurements. I just average.

there was an article in golf digest a few months ago about caddies. Pane Stewart's caddie gave him a distance of 175 yards (or something like that). His competitor's caddie stepped off the distance and told his man 178 to the pin. Pane biatched, "WTF is it 175 or 178?" realizing that his caddie had been rounding off distances all day. His caddie replied. "Pane, you're not that good." Neither am I. Only RSF "The Range Rat" larry could hit a ball within 1-2 yards. 2-4 would be good enough for me.

This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....

If Payne Stewart's caddie was so good how come he didn't know the cabin pressure was off?
    Poe4soul
    Poe4soul

Post  Poe4soul Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:33 pm

FamousDavis wrote:
    poe4soul wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:
    Kiwigolfer wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:

/
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /

/
    /
    /
    //
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /

Let's test it.

This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....

If Payne Stewart's caddie was so good how come he didn't know the cabin pressure was off?

Don't know don't care. who said he was good anyway?
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:39 pm

Here's the deal:

I'm playing with 3 other guys. One guy has the Garmin gps watch. One dude has a skycaddie and the other has a Bushnell Rangefinder. I have the laserlink.

The guy with the watch in always tinkering with it, resetting it or making sure it's on the right hole. This takes too much time and it's a hassle for him.

The dude with the skycaddie has to figure out where the flag is in relation to the front, back & middle distances. He tinkers with it before every shot.

The guy with the Bushnell gets it out and then aims it at the flag, hoping for a correct reading. He almost always lasers it twice to make sure and often times realizes that one of the measurements is different, thereby requiring a third measurement. He takes way too long with that thing.

I walk to my ball, lift the laserlink and aim it at the flagstick and have a measurement within 2 seconds. I'm ready to go and fire at the flag whilst the rest of the dummies in the group are still trying to figure out why they bought a $300 device that gives suspect readings.
    Poe4soul
    Poe4soul

Post  Poe4soul Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:56 pm

FamousDavis wrote:Here's the deal:

I'm playing with 3 other guys. One guy has the Garmin gps watch. One dude has a skycaddie and the other has a Bushnell Rangefinder. I have the laserlink.

The guy with the watch in always tinkering with it, resetting it or making sure it's on the right hole. This takes too much time and it's a hassle for him.

The dude with the skycaddie has to figure out where the flag is in relation to the front, back & middle distances. He tinkers with it before every shot.

The guy with the Bushnell gets it out and then aims it at the flag, hoping for a correct reading. He almost always lasers it twice to make sure and often times realizes that one of the measurements is different, thereby requiring a third measurement. He takes way too long with that thing.

I walk to my ball, lift the laserlink and aim it at the flagstick and have a measurement within 2 seconds. I'm ready to go and fire at the flag whilst the rest of the dummies in the group are still trying to figure out why they bought a $300 device that gives suspect readings.

If I was in your group I'd watch you hit, walk up to my ball and ask "What distance did you get there FD?" Then subtract 25 yards, pick the appropriate club and fire ending up pin high.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:02 pm

poe4soul wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:
    Kiwigolfer wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:

/
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /

/
    /
    /
    //
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /

Let's test it.

This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....

It's the rare pro who doesn't want it to the yard. They all can adjust for 3 yard differences and they're all trying to put it within the magic 8 foot radius and below the pin. Statistically it's easy to show a good golfer but non-pro needs accurate info too. I'm ashamed a surveyor would ignore 4 yard differences when he might realize the performance error doesn't mitigate yardage error, it increases total error. Sheesh.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:52 am

Lorenzzo wrote:
    poe4soul wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:
    Kiwigolfer wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:

/
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /

/
    /
    /
    //
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /

Let's test it.

This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....
    This is a test....

It's the rare pro who doesn't want it to the yard. They all can adjust for 3 yard differences and they're all trying to put it within the magic 8 foot radius and below the pin. Statistically it's easy to show a good golfer but non-pro needs accurate info too. I'm ashamed a surveyor would ignore 4 yard differences when he might realize the performance error doesn't mitigate yardage error, it increases total error. Sheesh.
    What kind of caddy would round sh!t off? I know Stevie gives yardage down to the inch.
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:20 am

Theres an free application that is AWESOME for phones.

Download "Golfcard gps" the "free" version.
    Its available for iphones/ipads,any android phone for free.

The application gives you hole distances on google earth images as you are walking to the hole,and has a scoring mechanism that caters for percentage of drives/longest drives/greens in regulation/score/putting etc...

It really is awesome...The free version has ALL the features we possible need for a round of golf...
    trombettista_vecchio
    trombettista_vecchio

Post  trombettista_vecchio Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:10 pm

I almost bought a Newport 2.6 but resisted the temptation. I'll start the spring season with my hickory-shafted Calamity Jane replica.
    It's a new club for me--the actual club, not the putter--and the members may as well see the "best" of me right away.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:30 am

I played 2 rounds this past weekend. Temps were in the 50's, maybe low 60's. Our greens aren't exactly rolling very well at the moment. We aerated and sanded a couple weeks back, and probably haven't cut them sice. Bumpy and unbelievably slow.
    I didn't make a meaningful putt until the 10th hole of my second round. Missed several putts in the 6-10 foot range.
    I definitely think it was a bad idea to use the new putter on greens that bad. I found myself using more of a "pop" stroke, which is a bad habit to get into. I did make a couple of longer putts on the back nine, but also missed a few makeable ones, including a 6 footer on 18 that would have netted me some cash.
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:38 am

Horseballs wrote:I played 2 rounds this past weekend. Temps were in the 50's, maybe low 60's. Our greens aren't exactly rolling very well at the moment. We aerated and sanded a couple weeks back, and probably haven't cut them sice. Bumpy and unbelievably slow.
    I didn't make a meaningful putt until the 10th hole of my second round. Missed several putts in the 6-10 foot range.
    I definitely think it was a bad idea to use the new putter on greens that bad. I found myself using more of a "pop" stroke, which is a bad habit to get into. I did make a couple of longer putts on the back nine, but also missed a few makeable ones, including a 6 footer on 18 that would have netted me some cash.

The SC is already costing you money? This is not a good omen.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:49 am

Kiwigolfer wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:I played 2 rounds this past weekend. Temps were in the 50's, maybe low 60's. Our greens aren't exactly rolling very well at the moment. We aerated and sanded a couple weeks back, and probably haven't cut them sice. Bumpy and unbelievably slow.

The SC is already costing you money? This is not a good omen.

It certainly is. I need to hit some putts on smooth greens. I had really good looks under 10 feet on 5, 6, 8, and 9. Missed them all. On the back, I started putting a bit better, but had good looks on 13, 17, and 18 that I missed. Mostly missing to the right, which should be fixable in about 10 minutes on a good green.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:35 am