The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+3
Homeslice
Mongrel
12pierogi
7 posters

Alabama Shakes

12pierogi
    12pierogi

Alabama Shakes Empty Alabama Shakes

Post  12pierogi Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:09 pm

Anybody heard of this band. I was watching snl and they were a guest band, with a gal singing that reminded me of Janis Joplin. She was kilin this song called, hold on. Wow touches the soul when she sings.
    I'm buying there album.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Alabama Shakes Empty Re: Alabama Shakes

Post  Mongrel Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:26 am

I prefer the neighbors to the east. North Mississippi Allstars.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:49 am

Mostly German wrote:I prefer the neighbors to the east. North Mississippi Allstars.

You must have slept in geography. Mississippi is west of Alabama. Florida would be the west coast, California east?
    I like what they did on the movie for kids Barnyard. I can sit down and watch that with my kid, and enjoy it. The music is great.
    Homeslice
    Homeslice

Post  Homeslice Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:56 am

Is this anything like the Harlem shuffle?
    Seriously though. I saw the SNL on DVR turbo fast forward mode. (The only way to watch that 98% awful show.) That band was outstanding and I will be checking out the iTunes soon. Thanks for reminding me.
    If the singer looked like Jessica Alba instead of Tiny Tim, I would go see them live.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:58 pm

I was about to dose off, as snl was pretty bad. I just remember they said something, and I heard her voice, woke me right up, I was mesmerized, she's got a bright career ahead, the whole group, and she plays a Gibson. To be that young with that talent. It sounds like the bass player, and her formed the group.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:33 am

My latest music purchases are Mumford and Sons (bought about 6 months ago) and Fun! (bought about 2 months ago). Fun! ended up winning a bunch of grammys. I like Fun! because they are a cross between Queen and Supertramp, two bands I liked back in the late 70's/early 80's.

The Mumford and Sons album has about 4 really good songs but that's about it. Pretty limited in their scope.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:11 pm

The prefer the classics by Sanford & Son.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:21 pm

Mostly German wrote:The prefer the classics by Sanford & Son.

Hey big dummy!
    jt1135
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:56 am

Got up about 3 had a few hits of the good stuff and started listening to Doug Sahm (Sir Douglas Quintet and Texas Tornados) and then to Alabama Shakes. Pretty good morning so far.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:26 am

With some tokes of the REALLY GOOD STUFF early in the morning, even the Mormon Tabernacle Choir would sound amazing.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:02 pm

jt1135 wrote:Got up about 3 had a few hits of the good stuff and started listening to Doug Sahm (Sir Douglas Quintet and Texas Tornados) and then to Alabama Shakes. Pretty good morning so far.

If your not a follower of weeds you should be. The series has been on show time for 7-8 years, and is one of best series I've seen, the music is unbelievably good to boot. I am going to get some of the music off iTunes, the latest I like is Charlie Mays song How I roll.
    I rent it once a year, and watch the whole series over a weekend.
    This is the final season, and it was spectacular. Not to mention Nancy or Mary Louise Parker, is kind of hot, and gets poled by it seems almost everyone, crime, weed, drug cartels, cops, sex, it's got it all. FD is in the beginning of every series too, during the Ticky tacky song in his SUV or going into the coffee shop.
    jt1135
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:11 am

Well, that kind of morning again, so I got the head right and listened to The Dark Side Of The Moon with the headphones. Can't wake the folks up.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:53 am

In 1973 my friends and I went to a Pink Floyd concert at a smallish indoor hall in San Diego. It was their "Dark Side of the Moon" tour. Of course, we dropped some acid about an hour before the concert began and it was stronger than I'd anticipated. So a few minutes after the band launched into their first number, I noticed that there was a fair amount of open space right in front of the raised stage and I never missed a chance to get as close as possible to watch the guitarists play. I wandered through the crowd and found myself right next to the edge of the stage which was raised about six feet above the floor. There were huge banks of stacked amps at both corners of the stage in addition to the house PA system and this band was one of the loudest I've ever experienced. It took me almost a half an hour to figure out why nobody got within thirty feet of the stage and I was the only one there. Because the sound drove them back. To this day, my hearing is pretty sub-standard and has been for years. Of course the few years of proximate artillery didn't help either.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:20 am

FamousDavis wrote:My latest music purchases are Mumford and Sons (bought about 6 months ago) and Fun! (bought about 2 months ago). Fun! ended up winning a bunch of grammys. I like Fun! because they are a cross between Queen and Supertramp, two bands I liked back in the late 70's/early 80's.

The Mumford and Sons album has about 4 really good songs but that's about it. Pretty limited in their scope.

I played some Fun for a friend of mine. He said he couldn't stand it.
    He's been missing since last Monday.
    trombettista_vecchio
    trombettista_vecchio

Post  trombettista_vecchio Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:31 pm

[img]Alabama Shakes Roomful_zpsf4347b9a[/img]

I like to stay current with my music tastes.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:42 pm

One of my favorite guitar players joined that group a bit later. Duke Robillard. He's from up your way.
    trombettista_vecchio
    trombettista_vecchio

Post  trombettista_vecchio Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:51 pm

Duke actually founded the group, originally without horns, with pianist Al Copley. Ronnie Earl replaced Duke when he left the second time. Al stayed on at least another twenty years after coming back. Lou Ann Barton, Marcia Ball, and Angela Strehli (and most of the others depicted) were together for just one album, and when it was re-released on compact disc years later, it came out under their names and not Roomful.

At least fifty musicians have played with Roomful of Blues. I've liked just about every configuration.

Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:07 am

A friend of mine loaned me that Alabama Shakes album and was raving about it just like you 12. I listened to it and initially liked it but then started noticing the lyrics were full of lame cliches and I was suddenly very bored with it. I gave it back to my buddy. Maybe I should give it another try? On the other hand - meh.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:43 am

I was at Starbucks and on a whim bought the new Justin Timberlake CD. Should I be embarrassed?
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:18 am

Not if your elementary school aged daughter's birthday is coming up soon.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:27 am

Mostly German wrote:Not if your elementary school aged daughter's birthday is coming up soon.

No, that would be Justin Bieber. Elementary school kids don't even know who Timberlake is.
    jt1135
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:17 am

FamousDavis wrote:I was at Starbucks and on a whim bought the new Justin Timberlake CD. Should I be embarrassed?

I would think Justin would be right up your alley FD.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:37 am

Kiwigolfer wrote:A friend of mine loaned me that Alabama Shakes album and was raving about it just like you 12. I listened to it and initially liked it but then started noticing the lyrics were full of lame cliches and I was suddenly very bored with it. I gave it back to my buddy. Maybe I should give it another try? On the other hand - meh.

I will make an effort to see this group live, as their studio album is not where they shine. These guys are the rare way better with an audience real deal.
    The bass player knows the secret to the universe.
    Brittany is the most special voice I've heard in a long time. There young, and barring no group breakup or drug and alcohol abuse will make some great music.
    12s music tip of the day.
    Alabama Shakes Alabama3
    Alabama Shakes 315300_501412296551336_902688483_n
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:27 am

I used to have a guitar identical to the one the guy is playing in the bottom photo. Cheap Korean-made Epiphone Dot. It played great and I put some good aftermarket pickups in it and it kicked ass. Then there was a golf club and some shafts I wanted to I put the factory pickups back in it and sold it. And bought the golf clubs.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Mon May 27, 2013 8:11 am

jt1135 wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:I was at Starbucks and on a whim bought the new Justin Timberlake CD. Should I be embarrassed?

I would think Justin would be right up your alley FD.

I had to break down. My daughter was doing to much scaring me with some country overtones.

I popped into a music store, I found immediately what would help, I proceeded to wait in line for what seemed forever as this dude bought a gorgeous bong, and she rapped it like it was a piece of Tiffany glass. He looked like a band member.

Coldplay live 2012 with a DVD of live stuff they did in Paris, Madrid, Montreal, others.
    I explained the British pop thing, Beatles Rolling Stones etc..

It does rock, and a whole lot more tolerable, especially cranked up, a lot of energy at those concerts. Great movie.

Alabama Shakes Coldplaylive2012
    Alabama Shakes DSC00658
    Alabama Shakes IMG_7331
    Alabama Shakes IMG_7343
    Alabama Shakes Rihanna_RAWDOGGTV

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:26 am