The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

4 posters

GFF = Lower Handicap

rooteen
    rooteen

GFF = Lower Handicap Empty GFF = Lower Handicap

Post  rooteen Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:23 pm

So most of us know that GFF will lower your handicap by 4 strokes. Well since getting the mp52's and then jpx800pro's i can finally say that my hcap is now lower by 5(now 16). Feeling rather confident with this, swmbo walked nine holes with me last night and i got her to film me swinging. Made a great up and down from the bunker on the 18th for a 41, and couldn't wait to see how the swing looked. After working on a few things i was certain the swing would be improving, but when i viewed my swing my only thought was holy crap!! Rounded posture,vitually no wrist cock, collapsing arms at the top,club was off plane in backswing and downswing, just a complete mess and nothing has changed. Looks like s&t with arm collapse! I know realise that my body just wont do what my goddam brain tells it to do. Only conclusion.....GFF is really that good.
    Olderplayer
    Olderplayer

GFF = Lower Handicap Empty Re: GFF = Lower Handicap

Post  Olderplayer Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:03 am

Got a mate who plays off 9 (anchor) who has rather individual swing. We went away to barnbougle with a group including a teaching pro. He had his video camera so Andy (my mate) asked if the pro could video his swing for analysis. He replied "believe me Andy you don't want to see it".
    Seems like you may be in the same boat.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:37 am

I came to appreciate what really matters in golf after I began playing in tournaments. Men's Club, Golf Association and city sponsored tournaments. Match play tournaments as well. The person with a repeatable swing, regardless of how it looks on video, usually fares pretty well because they avoid double bogeys. Golf is every bit as much a mental game as it is physical and when you get a double bogey it absolutely kills any momentum you had going up to that point. Sure, you can grind on and try to forget about it but the +2 score on one hole really hurts.

I've played golf with guys who had good swings that simply couldn't seem to put a good round together. Luke Donald has a great swing but hits it all over the place. His saving grace is the fact that he's an excellent putter and amazing around the greens. Tom Lehman has an odd swing but wins tournaments and has a major under his belt. Adam Scott has one of the best swings on tour and rarely wins.

I don't know how you define or pick apart why certain players know how to score. I think it comes down to forgetting about the swing and thinking instead about course management and hitting the ball solidly.
    rooteen
    rooteen

Post  rooteen Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:48 am

Olderplayer wrote:Got a mate who plays off 9 (anchor) who has rather individual swing. We went away to barnbougle with a group including a teaching pro. He had his video camera so Andy (my mate) asked if the pro could video his swing for analysis. He replied "believe me Andy you don't want to see it".

Certainly am OP. What really amazed me was how different i looked to what i actually thought. I have only seen my swing twice on video, and thats enough lol. Played the other nine just awhile ago and had a 38, so i'm happy. Today i just concentrated on posture, because i think thats where most of my problems came from. Also changed my driver to an r9 10.5* with an aldila nv reg shaft, and hit it really well. Couldn't hit the club before, so i must be swinging better.....in my head anyway Very Happy
    Olderplayer
    Olderplayer

Post  Olderplayer Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:01 am

rooteen wrote:
    Olderplayer wrote:Got a mate who plays off 9 (anchor) who has rather individual swing. We went away to barnbougle with a group including a teaching pro. He had his video camera so Andy (my mate) asked if the pro could video his swing for analysis. He replied "believe me Andy you don't want to see it".

Certainly am OP. What really amazed me was how different i looked to what i actually thought. I have only seen my swing twice on video, and thats enough lol. Played the other nine just awhile ago and had a 38, so i'm happy. Today i just concentrated on posture, because i think thats where most of my problems came from. Also changed my driver to an r9 10.5* with an aldila nv reg shaft, and hit it really well. Couldn't hit the club before, so i must be swinging better.....in my head anyway Very Happy
    Keep at it Roo. Play as much as you can and work on the weak parts of your game. Just try to stick to the fundamentals of the golf swing that are easy to research and identify.
    You'll be a single figure capper in no time.
    rooteen
    rooteen

Post  rooteen Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:16 am

Olderplayer wrote:
    rooteen wrote:

Keep at it Roo. Play as much as you can and work on the weak parts of your game. Just try to stick to the fundamentals of the golf swing that are easy to research and identify.
    Thanks OP, how is your game going? think FD needs to sticky a round report thread, always a good read on that other site i've forgot the name of....
    Olderplayer
    Olderplayer

Post  Olderplayer Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:08 am

rooteen wrote:
    Olderplayer wrote:
    rooteen wrote:

Thanks OP, how is your game going? think FD needs to sticky a round report thread, always a good read on that other site i've forgot the name of....
    Yeah solid enough. I seem to be able to muck up a couple of holes which spoils an otherwise good round. Been doing that a fair bit lately. Like today, had 35 with two misses. Shot 78. Been playing at 4 the last few months steadily. Went out to 5 the other day. Short game and putting has been pretty good so I'm happy about that.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:51 am

Olderplayer wrote:. Short game and putting has been pretty good so I'm happy about that.

IMO, this is the main reason why we score well, GFF is only secondary Razz
    rooteen
    rooteen

Post  rooteen Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:19 am

Pky6471 wrote:
    Olderplayer wrote:. Short game and putting has been pretty good so I'm happy about that.

IMO, this is the main reason why we score well, GFF is only secondary Razz

And Pings are Last(ery) Laughing Geez that was hard work!!

OP, must be nice to know you can play at that level even with a few tardy holes thrown in. Somewhat agree with FD on the double bogeys, but i have found if you know you are capable of a birdie or two it makes a great difference to the end score, even at my level.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:58 am