The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

Where's the Dr. Strangelove "Doomsday Machine" When We Need It?

trombettista_vecchio

Where's the Dr. Strangelove "Doomsday Machine" When We Need It?

Post  trombettista_vecchio on Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:25 am

History teaches us that all civilizations are finite.

Now, the Goths are at our gate.

I would genuinely hate to be somebody whose future looms lengthier than his past. It shan't be pretty. The apocalypse will be overseen by either a short-fingered, orange baboon or a shrill, obnoxious b!tch.
    Mongrel

Re: Where's the Dr. Strangelove "Doomsday Machine" When We Need It?

Post  Mongrel on Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:39 pm

allahu Akbar. I likes dis snack bar. slaam alaikim. Salami, I like dem. AIDS was a doomsday machine but we thwarted it. Zika virus was a week attempt. Now the Yellowstone volcano could be the Real Deal. The great alternative history writer Harry Turtledove has a great novel about that one. Forgot the title. I'm getting old so fuck off if you think I should remember the titles of books I tout. Of course the asteroid legion could do the deal too.
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr on Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:03 pm

Don worry....Xenu is coming back in his DC-8 to take us all away...........
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel on Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:06 pm

The Boeing 707 is my all-time favorite passenger airplane. Those Pan American Constellations were pretty nice, too.
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr on Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:21 pm

Ahhh, the Constellation. I remember you had to wear a jacket and tie (clip on) on board and you got dinner with real silverware. I always asked for an extra roll or two.
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel on Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:22 pm

Unfortunately, my father forebade clip-on ties so I had to learn to tie them myself. But the absolute best in my memory were the meals in the Dome Diners on the Union and Southern Pacific lines from Chicago to L.A. The waiters were all dignified elderly negroes who provided the best table-side service this side of Hong Kong. My fav breakfast going through the Rockies was sautéed fresh rainbow trout with home-fried potatoes and buttered toast.
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr on Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:02 pm

Mongrel wrote:Unfortunately, my father forebade clip-on ties so I had to learn to tie them myself. But the absolute best in my memory were the meals in the Dome Diners on the Union and Southern Pacific lines from Chicago to L.A. The waiters were all dignified elderly negroes who provided the best table-side service this side of Hong Kong. My fav breakfast going through the Rockies was sautéed fresh rainbow trout with home-fried potatoes and buttered toast.

Nice!
    My parents only flew.
    Only train ride I ever took (other than the LIRR) was Fairbanks to Anchorage, stopping in Denali. Best steak I ever had in my life!
    trombettista_vecchio

Post  trombettista_vecchio on Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:04 am

I could tie a perfect Windsor knot by the time I could tie my own shoes. But the Windsor knot is a dress knot. The proper knot for school was a four in hand knot, and I could never tie a decent one of those.  So I wore a Windsor knot on my prep school tie and screw everybody.

The old four engine planes, jets on the 707 and props on the Constellation,  were infinitely more comfortable than the passenger jets of fifty and sixty years later. Nobody in his/her right mind could deny that.

It all fits the theme of this thread. Everything turns to shit eventually.
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel on Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:50 pm

jmtbkr wrote:
    Mongrel wrote:Unfortunately, my father forebade clip-on ties so I had to learn to tie them myself. But the absolute best in my memory were the meals in the Dome Diners on the Union and Southern Pacific lines from Chicago to L.A. The waiters were all dignified elderly negroes who provided the best table-side service this side of Hong Kong. My fav breakfast going through the Rockies was sautéed fresh rainbow trout with home-fried potatoes and buttered toast.

Nice!
    My parents only flew.
    Only train ride I ever took (other than the LIRR) was Fairbanks to Anchorage, stopping in Denali. Best steak I ever had in my life!

My father took us to Europe for the first time in the summer of 1959 when I was 12 years old. Since my mother was determined not to fly, she and I along with her step father took the Queen Elizabeth from Manhattan to Southhampton where my father met us. He had flown to Switzerland a month before. After a few months, we all flew back to Idlewild from Lisbon on a Pan Am Constellation. The Connie was coming from Durban S.A. and was a day late with engine problems so Pan Am put us up in the Ritz Hotel which wasn't due to open officially for a month or two. Cost that airline a pretty peso since I recall my father saying the room rate at the time was $150 USD per night and we got two rooms. So the next morning we took off on three engines. The inboard starboard engine was in-op and it took almost all the runway to get that fucker rotated. My mother's first flight. It took over 12 hours non-stop to NYC. We were so beat that my father hired a cab to drive us from the airport to our farm 110 miles away near Philly. It cost $50 USD including tip. The cabbie was a white man who spoke good English. How times have changed.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:36 am