The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

The Golf Set--a favorite old topic

trombettista_vecchio

The Golf Set--a favorite old topic

Post  trombettista_vecchio on Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:32 am

Many decades ago, when my late brother and I took up golf, the set of clubs was described to us as a thirteen loft progression plus a putting club. That concept has held up for many the player. With athletic skills more suited to catcher, right field, and the boxing ring, however, I am certain that I would NEVER have progressed far beyond the 18-20 handicap range with clubs like that.

When I reached the top of my game, an eight handicap, fully one half of my set was devoted to shot specific utility clubs. Half a set was plenty to handle the full range of fairway shots. What I really needed was a tee-only club for tight driving holes (leaving me an average of four or five actual driver swings a round), a dedicated sand iron, a knock down bump and run iron, a lob wedge for short side misses, a high loft recovery wood to use from the rough---you get the idea. I handled all of my standard fairway shot distances with a well spaced loft-progression taking up only a few clubs.

Now spinal stenosis has made golf an occasional social pastime with friends where scorekeeping isn't even required. We ride around the track, have a few from the beverage cart, and talk old times. 79 has become closer to my age than to my scores if we were to actually keep score. But deep down, I think that Nifty I and I actually came up with a better way to play the game for the average recreational player, but the average recreational player was for the most part not interested. Golf is a conservative game, and what's more, a game of conformity. On these pages alone, everybody stripes a two iron two-hundred fifty yards in his own mind and makes homophobic jokes about the "wrong kind" of clubs. If I'd been susceptible to that kind of criticism, I'd have never played the kind of golf that I was once able to play.

Mongrel

Re: The Golf Set--a favorite old topic

Post  Mongrel on Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:27 pm

I am grateful that I can still participate in golf with a group of men ranging in age from the mid 30's to the early '70's. There has been a bit of attrition over the past few years that I have playing with this group so there is now a core of about twenty of us who play weekly. Some in this core are retired and can play the weekday events. Also grateful that I can still get around the courses on our rota in the 80's regularly under USGA rules and from a combination of middle and front tees the club manager designates for each course so our average is about 6,000 yards and everyone plays from the same tees be he a 35 year old single digit bomber who averages 270 off the tee or the twenty-something handicap 70 year old who's good drive totals 190 and needs hybrids for approaches longer than 130 yards.

Starting this past winter, I have concentrated on filling my bag with clubs each dedicated to a specific shot defined by distance, trajectory, ability to hit from different lies, workability and feel. I've been working on my swing in order to hit flush shots with less than a full backswing and it has started to pay off. I've tried to find intuitive clubs---those I can pull and not think about mechanics but just hit it and the shot turns out well if the swing is average. I thought that my new 18* Taylormade driving iron would be that way and the first two rounds I hit some wonderful shots without conscious thought but last Saturday it failed my when I was a bit weak from the flu and the OTC drugs I'd ingested prior to playing. I realized that the shaft that came with it was just a bit too heavy and stiff so I reshafted it today with a lighter steel regular flex shaft that should also provide a bit more spin but with a lower trajectory. New putter is more intuitive than any of the others I've had over the past 10 years but I have to work on alignment on the short putts. Ironically, long putt alignment is about spot-on.

I will keep on doing this as long as I can and take it one round at a time. Actually, one hole at a time. Well, fuck it. One shot at a time.
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 on Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:04 pm

Agree with U two... as I get older I play smarter... i.e. go to the front of the green then Up-n-down when possible
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr on Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:32 pm

Yep, totally agree with all of you.

I have been concentrating on having fun, this year. Can't get all serious and crazed over every bad shot. I laugh it off and go on to the next shot.
    As a result, I'm playing better than ever, my cap is hovering around a 10 and I'm leading my work league by over a full stoke (net). They all hate me!

Now that I've gotten a new Scotty putter, I haven't had a single 3 putt in my last 4 rounds cheers
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 on Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:47 pm

I LOVE my TM JetSpeed 13* M-flex...
    Hit the ball well, but can't seem to score better... chipping sucksssss can't get up and down... that's why... still shooting around 90-95 . Deerfield GC is difficult, we rarely have a flat lie ... Try it Mongrel , try it

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:17 am