The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

Hockey in the US

jt1135

Hockey in the US

Post  jt1135 on Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:29 am

Being from Minnesota not that big of a hockey fan but was looking at the computer and ran into the high school hockey rankings for the US.

8 out of the top 10 from MN
    17 out of 20  MN
    35 out of 50 MN
    55 out of 100  MN

We might suck in basketball, football and some other sports but we do kick ass in hockey.
    Pky6471

Re: Hockey in the US

Post  Pky6471 on Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:22 pm

jt1135 wrote:Being from Minnesota not that big of a hockey fan but was looking at the computer and ran into the high school hockey rankings for the US.

17 out of 20  MN
    35 out of 50 MN
    55 out of 100  MN

We might suck in basketball, football and some other sports but we do kick ass in hockey.

Very FAST sport and NONE has front teeth Laughing
    trombettista_vecchio

Post  trombettista_vecchio on Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:37 pm

"Being from Minnesota" is an unexpected prolog to "not much of a hockey fan." Minnesota, Wisconsin, Upstate/Central New York, and Northern New England are the absolute hot spots of amateur hockey in the United States. Nearly all of the US hockey Olympians and American-born NHL players come from one of those four places. Most of the teams to make the NCAA "Frozen Four" championships come from those four places, and it's not always big schools like Boston College or its maroon and gold western counterpart, Minnesota. Places like Wisconsin-Whitewater and Schenectady's Union College are often in the mix.
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel on Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:22 pm

Hockey was big in Philly when I was young. Being from a rural area, my hockey was played on frozen creeks and ponds. We had a pond in our front yard that was pretty big and lots of hockey was played there. Most of the time, tree limbs served as sticks and flat stones were the pucks. On the nearest creek a half mile east from the farm, you could play a rink that was a quarter mile or so long. Organized hockey is pretty boring to me, especially on TV. The TV Tecnicals need to do something to enable casual viewers like myself to follow the puck. Like maybe electronically highlight it in yellow like they do with the first down lines in NFL telecasts. The fighting in pro hockey is really homo-esque and detracts from the flow of games.

When I was in high school, one of my favorite spectator sports was hockey. Girls' field hockey.
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo on Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:54 pm

jt1135 wrote:Being from Minnesota not that big of a hockey fan but was looking at the computer and ran into the high school hockey rankings for the US.

17 out of 20  MN
    35 out of 50 MN
    55 out of 100  MN

To quote one of the more appropriate synopses of the sport: "I was at a fight and a hockey game broke out." What is it that makes Minnesotans so mad that they would excel in hockey? I understand why people from New England, New York and Wisconsin are pissed off but I would think Minnesotans would be less prone to anti-social behavior.
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 on Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:26 pm

Lorenzzo wrote:

17 out of 20  MN
    35 out of 50 MN
    55 out of 100  MN

To quote one of the more appropriate synopses of the sport: "I was at a fight and a hockey game broke out."  What is it that makes Minnesotans so mad that they would excel in hockey? I understand why people from New England, New York and Wisconsin are pissed off but I would think Minnesotans would be less prone to anti-social behavior.

Viking and berserker heritage maybe.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:42 am