The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+5
Mongrel
jmtbkr
jt1135
Olderplayer
FamousDavis
9 posters

First Topic for non-golf forum--Lawn Mowers

FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

First Topic for non-golf forum--Lawn Mowers Empty First Topic for non-golf forum--Lawn Mowers

Post  FamousDavis Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:02 pm

MG, can you see this particular discussion on the non-golf forum? Let me know, thanks. Please try responding.
    Olderplayer
    Olderplayer

First Topic for non-golf forum--Lawn Mowers Empty Re: First Topic for non-golf forum--Lawn Mowers

Post  Olderplayer Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:54 am

I can see it FD but I got nothing to say about lawnmowers.
    jt1135
    jt1135

First Topic for non-golf forum--Lawn Mowers Empty Re: First Topic for non-golf forum--Lawn Mowers

Post  jt1135 Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:54 am

Olderplayer wrote:I can see it FD but I got nothing to say about lawnmowers.

Only one word. Kubota.
    jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:02 am

jt1135 wrote:
    Olderplayer wrote:I can see it FD but I got nothing to say about lawnmowers.

Only one word. Kubota.

Only one name: Elmer. He is from Costa Rica. Does an amazing job on my lawn. Cut, edge, blow. $25.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:46 am

FamousDavis wrote:MG, can you see this particular discussion on the non-golf forum? Let me know, thanks. Please try responding.
    Ach, yes, I can see it now. Coming along quite nicely, I'd say.

In Re: LAWNMOWERS

Having grown up in rural Pennsylvania, I have extensive experience with just about the whole gamut of grass-cutting devices. I have used various machines ranging from the millenia-old scythe to the state of the art tractor with gang mowers of the reel variety. My earliest memories of mowing at the place of my birth-- a modest bungalow along the main street in our Village (actually an early 18th century trail that evolved as commerce spread to the West)-- were of the manual reel push mower my mother used. I learned on that one. Then when the Old Man was in the process of selling The Company and bought the Farm, he immediately acquired all these nifty gasoline-powered devices including a bona-fide greens mower which was a really heavy push job with heavy front rollers and a rear bag to catch the trimmings to a couple of smaller riders with front and side reels. The side reels pivoted up so you could manoever through the trees and park it in the barn easier. We got our first garden tractor around 1958 or so, a Wheel Horse with a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton and a 3 speed gearbox. I laugh when I first saw the garden tractor racers some years ago on cable. H*ll, I had that Wheel Horse modified to do about 25 mph in 3rd just by reversing the drive and gearbox input shaft pulleys. Piece of cake.
    In The Hole
    In The Hole

First Topic for non-golf forum--Lawn Mowers Empty get a honda mower been using them for years in my lawn service

Post  In The Hole Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:09 pm

Mostly German wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:MG, can you see this particular discussion on the non-golf forum? Let me know, thanks. Please try responding.

Having grown up in rural Pennsylvania, I have extensive experience with just about the whole gamut of grass-cutting devices. I have used various machines ranging from the millenia-old scythe to the state of the art tractor with gang mowers of the reel variety. My earliest memories of mowing at the place of my birth-- a modest bungalow along the main street in our Village (actually an early 18th century trail that evolved as commerce spread to the West)-- were of the manual reel push mower my mother used. I learned on that one. Then when the Old Man was in the process of selling The Company and bought the Farm, he immediately acquired all these nifty gasoline-powered devices including a bona-fide greens mower which was a really heavy push job with heavy front rollers and a rear bag to catch the trimmings to a couple of smaller riders with front and side reels. The side reels pivoted up so you could manoever through the trees and park it in the barn easier. We got our first garden tractor around 1958 or so, a Wheel Horse with a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton and a 3 speed gearbox. I laugh when I first saw the garden tractor racers some years ago on cable. H*ll, I had that Wheel Horse modified to do about 25 mph in 3rd just by reversing the drive and gearbox input shaft pulleys. Piece of cake.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:53 pm

In The Hole wrote:
    Mostly German wrote:

Rookie (in the hole), don't be posting your responses in the title section.
    In The Hole
    In The Hole

Post  In The Hole Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:57 pm

FamousDavis wrote:
    In The Hole wrote:
    Mostly German wrote:

Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:23 pm

IMO... Toro is the best bang for the bucks, not as heavy as Honda (which is also a good one but too heavy), very reliable, no more than 2 starts at the beginning of a season. I had mine bang up by hitting at the root at a tree and I bent its shaft, they want $300 to fix it (I may as well buy a new machine), I refused and it's been running like that for at least 3 yrs now... I got vibration due to bent shaft other than that it's working fine... DO NOT buy Sears machine, piece of junk... End of season just add fuel stabilizer to the fuel tank and run it for 3-5 minutes before you put them away... NEVER had any problem with that practice
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:09 pm

Pky6471 wrote:IMO... Toro is the best bang for the bucks, not as heavy as Honda (which is also a good one but too heavy), very reliable, no more than 2 starts at the beginning of a season. I had mine bang up by hitting at the root at a tree and I bent its shaft, they want $300 to fix it (I may as well buy a new machine), I refused and it's been running like that for at least 3 yrs now... I got vibration due to bent shaft other than that it's working fine... DO NOT buy Sears machine, piece of junk... End of season just add fuel stabilizer to the fuel tank and run it for 3-5 minutes before you put them away... NEVER had any problem with that practice

Our lot is about 13,500 s.f. but much of it is covered with the house, driveway, patio and swimming pool. I guess there's maybe 6-6500 s.f. of lawn to cut. I'm on my second Toro Recycler self-propeller mower. Both came from the Home Depot. The first one had the low rear wheels and was about $299 in 2005. The current one was about $269 two years ago and has the larger diameter rear wheels which makes it easier for me to handle on the slopes I have. These guys have Briggs & Stratton motors. The first one was 6 horsepower and the current one is 6.75 HP. I stopped using the rear bag a long time ago since the mower shreds up grass and leaves real good so I never have to rake leaves in the fall. The Hondas and other high end machines are real nice but unless you live in one of them Chi Chi 'hoods where the neighbors look down at you for owning crap cars and crap mowers, I'll gladly pay half or less and get just as reliable a machine. Mongrel out.
    Olderplayer
    Olderplayer

Post  Olderplayer Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:59 pm

In The Hole wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:
    In The Hole wrote:
    Mostly German wrote:

A rookie mistake?
    trombettista_vecchio
    trombettista_vecchio

Post  trombettista_vecchio Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:35 pm

I understand that goats work pretty well, but then, instead of cutting grass, you end up picking up goat excrement.

Maybe paving the entire yard is the way to go.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:53 pm

I don't have a very large lot, maybe 8-10,000 and most is covered by the home but when I bought it a couple of years ago I tore out the hard and softscape and did a righteous job with a lot of drought tolerant native plants, succulents and Tuscan looking grasses and shrubs. So now the only lawn is a patch in the back and the front tree strip.

The local critters decided it looked like home and so I'm up to my ass in them. Hunting is good for the owls, I find rabbit carcasses everywhere which is fortunate because otherwise the patches of grass would be replaced by a layer of rabbit shit. Although in the spring when the babies are born I get the shit carpet for a little while until the owls, bobcats, hawks and coyotes thin the herd. Behind my house is a native sideslope that's a critter gateway to my yard.

As far as lawnmowers, I'll ask Rodrigo what he uses.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:22 pm

Lorenzzo wrote:I don't have a very large lot, maybe 8-10,000 and most is covered by the home but when I bought it a couple of years ago I tore out the hard and softscape and did a righteous job with a lot of drought tolerant native plants, succulents and Tuscan looking grasses and shrubs. So now the only lawn is a patch in the back and the front tree strip.

The local critters decided it looked like home and so I'm up to my ass in them. Hunting is good for the owls, I find rabbit carcasses everywhere which is fortunate because otherwise the patches of grass would be replaced by a layer of rabbit shit. Although in the spring when the babies are born I get the shit carpet for a little while until the owls, bobcats, hawks and coyotes thin the herd. Behind my house is a native sideslope that's a critter gateway to my yard.

As far as lawnmowers, I'll ask Rodrigo what he uses.

Man do I hate squirrels in my yard. But there have not been any in my back yard now for about five years. Save for a long scout in the early spring. Not that there is nothing in my yard to attract them. Just the opposite. Two large mature maple trees that spread almost the entire width of our rear yard-- 160 feet. I attribute their absence to the Gammo single shot spring powered .177 calibre pellet rifle I bought at Dick's maybe ten years ago several hours after I came home from lunch and saw ten squirrels on the roof of our old house. Half of them were gnawing on asphalt roofing shingles and the other half were sitting in the rain gutters waiting for the others to finish their shingle portions. That evening they returned before dusk and I picked off all of them. One shot, one kill. This rifle was $140 and fires lead hollow points around 1,060 feet per second which is right on the cusp of super-sonic. The sound of the shot is like a muffled clack. Nothing your neighbors could identify as the firing of a lethal projectile.

Now the squirrel..he is not a dumb critter. In fact, he is pretty smart. When that first scout of the spring cavorts on my maple tree branches, I pull out the old Gammo, insert a .177 lead hollow-point in the chamber, cock the barrel, switch the saftely off, open the sliding glass door, saunter out to the edge of the patio, sight, breathe, gently squeeze the trigger past the break, clack and the scout squirrel tuumbles to earth. Then I get the small shovel and throw the corpse, lacrosse style, over the chain link fence into the State Highways highway easement area where it will get recycled by the critters what subsist on carrion.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:10 am