The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

Best All-Season Tires

Pky6471

Best All-Season Tires

Post  Pky6471 on Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:50 am

To those who live in dry/wet/snow areas, based on your personal experience what is the best overall all-season tires? I've use Michelin Primacy and Michelin Energy from Costco because of convenience, but not sure if they are the best for price/performance. I live around Newark/Wilmington DE area so the winter is not so severe, maybe 6 to 10 snow days a season, average 2-3 inches, 6" every 5 yrs? and 10+"every 10 yrs?

Thanks guys/girls/AC-DC
    Mongrel

Re: Best All-Season Tires

Post  Mongrel on Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:00 pm

Depends what kind of vehicle you need them for. Those "Energy" tires are going to be the worst since they are made to have "low rolling resistance" which means great gas mileage and shitty wet weather traction.
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 on Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:57 pm

Can't help ya. Driving a 97 ford f150 and got bridgestone duelers on them. Aggresive for the snow and mud but yet driveable on the road. Haven't bought new car tires for at least six years.
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo on Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:07 pm

I have Duelers on my AWD Audi and they work fairly well except on outright ice and do require more stopping distance than good snow tires. They represent a decent compromise as to snow handling, dry road performance and longevity. If you would like to balance performance characteristics more towards winter then find an AWD tire with a snowflake rating. The snowflake symbol would be right on the tire. Obviously if you do not have AWD then performance would be less for you than for me.

For significantly improved performance on ice you need to go to a dedicated fairly soft snow tire like the Blizzak. I have a set of those uninstalled in case winter goes icy here

If I did not have AWD I would most likely install Blizzaks or something similar if there was more than infrequent subfreezing conditions.
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 on Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:18 pm

Best snow tires I''ve ever had were studs back in early 70's. Alas, they were outlawed here in Minnesota in the 70's because of wear and tear on the roads.
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel on Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:47 am

My first experience with studded tires was on my 1966 GTO. My father and I used to ski every weekend in upstate PA north of Scranton and would sometimes drive separately. The old man had a heavy Pontiac wagon and a Caddy sedan that were good with standard snow tires but he had his tire dealer buddy put the studs on the Goat. They transformed that car from uncontrollable pig to snowmobile. I remember driving a guy from our hometown back home late on a Saturday night because he got the call that one of his children was deathly sick. We were both at a local apres-ski spot and pretty well tanked up. I made it home in around two hours on the PA Turnpike Northeast Extension which had not been plowed and had about 6-10 inches of fresh stuff on it. I averaged almost 80. Of course the studs wore down to almost nothing by the time the Thaw came in March. I took them down the rest of the way doing eighth-mile burnouts on the local roads at night. Those tungsten studs would throw showers of sparks when you got them spinning on concrete and asphalt. The light show impressed the peons.

Half a decade later after returning from Vietnam, I had a BMW 2002 and brought it back to PA from SDiego and got a set of studded radials for the rear. That car was a POS in the snow but the studs made it driveable.
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 on Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:56 am

Worst car in the snow was a POS chevy spectrum. Twas my work car and got decent milage just worthless on snow and the heater was nonexistent. Put a thermometer on the seat one day when it was about 20 below. Drove 50 miles and the sonsabitch never got above 32 in the car. The best was a 73 buick deuce and a quarter. Not much ground clearance but once it got rolling with all the weight it had it would go through 3 foot drifts like they weren't even there.
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 on Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:09 pm

Lorenzzo wrote:I have Duelers on my AWD Audi and they work fairly well except on outright ice and do require more stopping distance than good snow tires. They represent a decent compromise as to snow handling, dry road performance and longevity.  If you would like to balance performance characteristics more towards winter then find an AWD tire with a snowflake rating. The snowflake symbol would be right on the tire.  Obviously if you do not have AWD then performance would be less for you than for me.

For significantly improved performance on ice you need to go to a dedicated fairly soft snow tire like the Blizzak. I have a set of those uninstalled in case winter goes icy here

If I did not have AWD I would most likely install Blizzaks or something similar if there was more than infrequent subfreezing conditions.

Thanks Zo... Blizzak is "winter" tires, they are great for snow because it's made out of soft compounds , therefore they won't last long , but GREAT for snow (yes, I am a stupid polymer scientist and I know my sh$$$$$t about polymers) .  I just hate to have another set of tires just for winter driving... When it's icy outside I would stay home and screw my babe bounce

I think I live in the area which is in the border line of needing Blizzak... If I lived in New England or along the "snow belt" I would definitely need a set of Blizzak for winter

Last edited by Pky6471 on Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 on Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:10 pm

jt1135 wrote:Best snow tires I''ve ever had were studs back in early 70's.  Alas, they were outlawed here in Minnesota in the 70's because of wear and tear on the roads.

I don't think they make studs anymore , correct?
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 on Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:15 pm

Mongrel wrote:My first experience with studded tires was on my 1966 GTO. My father and I used to ski every weekend in upstate PA north of Scranton and would sometimes drive separately. The old man had a heavy Pontiac wagon and a Caddy sedan that were good with standard snow tires but he had his tire dealer buddy put the studs on the Goat. They transformed that car from uncontrollable pig to snowmobile. I remember driving a guy from our hometown back home late on a Saturday night because he got the call that one of his children was deathly sick. We were both at a local apres-ski spot and pretty well tanked up. I made it home in around two hours on the PA Turnpike Northeast Extension which had not been plowed and had about 6-10 inches of fresh stuff on it. I averaged almost 80. Of course the studs wore down to almost nothing by the time the Thaw came in March. I took them down the rest of the way doing eighth-mile burnouts on the local roads at night. Those tungsten studs would throw showers of sparks when you got them spinning on concrete and asphalt. The light show impressed the peons.

Half a decade later after returning from Vietnam, I had a BMW 2002 and brought it back to PA from SDiego and got a set of studded radials for the rear. That car was a POS in the snow but the studs made it driveable.

My current rear-wheel drive '96 MB E320 is a POS in the snow. I don't drive it in snow. I always wait for them to clear the roads first... We got 2-3 inches of snow last nite... I am ready to move to Chandler/Gilber AZ
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 on Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:27 pm

Look on the net Pky and they still sell them. You will have to check your state laws if they are legal and if so, when you can run them.
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 on Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:39 pm

jt1135 wrote:Look on the net Pky and they still sell them.  You will have to check your state laws if they are legal and if so, when you can run them.  
    thanks JT ... hit them straight

I am told by reviewers that the Michelin X-Ice Xi3 tires are as gơod as they get for winter driving, except they are quite expensive
    trombettista_vecchio

Post  trombettista_vecchio on Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:01 pm

I use Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus all year round, but frankly, they're not great in winter conditions. Being retired, I can just stay home in lousy weather--so I usually do.
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 on Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:02 pm

I am with you... I don't drive if snow on the road... Unless I have to
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr on Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:12 pm

The best snow tires made are the European Semperit's. Hands down the best. Blizzacks aren't too bad either, readily available from Tirerack.

I've found the best all season tires to be Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia. Super quiet, soft ride and great in the wet/snow. I have them on my Murano and the wifey's G37.
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 on Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:01 pm

jmtbkr wrote:The best snow tires made are the European Semperit's. Hands down the best. Blizzacks aren't too bad either, readily available from Tirerack.

I've found the best all season tires to be Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia.  Super quiet, soft ride and great in the wet/snow.  I have them on my Murano and the wifey's G37.

Thanks... I will keep that in mind... Hopefully Costco carries them Razz because I get all of my tires thru Costco
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr on Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:15 am

Got both sets at Costco.
    Nitrogen fill and free rotation for life!
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 on Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:04 pm

jmtbkr wrote:Got both sets at Costco.
    Nitrogen fill and free rotation for life!
    Thanks.... Great price and great service from Costco

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:45 am