The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+4
FamousDavis
jt1135
Mongrel
Poe4soul
8 posters

1 Straight or safety razor

Poe4soul
    Poe4soul

1 Straight or safety razor Empty 1 Straight or safety razor

Post  Poe4soul Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:26 pm

I'm thinking about going retro with my shaving. Anyone experienced in either of these types of blades/shaving styles? Advice needed. I'm tiered of the disposable razors and my 5 o'clock shadow shows up at about 3 o'clock if I use an electric.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

1 Straight or safety razor Empty Re: 1 Straight or safety razor

Post  Mongrel Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:19 pm

Never on the receiving end of a straight razor although I have used one of my knives on occasion years ago. I used electrics for years but got tired of the crappy shaves and broken cages. So I began using the disposables that you buy in the supermarkets with disposable blades. Since I'm naturally cheap, I try different brands until I find the one with the handle and blades that last the longest. Now what's really strange is that once in awhile you get a product that never seems to wear out. Like a golf ball you put in play that never scuffs or cuts or discolors. After a couple of rounds, it gets to be like a mascot, a good luck talisman. And then you lose it in the woods or dunk it in the drink and you are bummed for awhile. Well, I've had two razors with the same blades for over a year. That's right. One year alternating them every few days. And I shave on average six days out of seven. One's a Schick Hydro with a five blade head and the other is a Gillette Fusion with four blades. I have to give a slight "edge" to the Gillette.
    jt1135
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:07 am

Piss on the shaving. Grow a beard. I have had some kind of facial hair since 1981. If you give a shit what other people think about facial hair you are just plain lost.
    Poe4soul
    Poe4soul

Post  Poe4soul Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:23 am

jt1135 wrote:Piss on the shaving. Grow a beard. I have had some kind of facial hair since 1981. If you give a shit what other people think about facial hair you are just plain lost.

I tried a beard a couple of times this last year. I didn't like the feeling.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:43 am

I've heard that it takes a couple of weeks to get your skin and beard accustomed to an electric razor and then afterward it's every bit as close a shave as a razor. I shave in the shower with no mirror with a Gillette disposable twin blade with no white strip. It's the best razor I've used and I find it less irritating to the skin than those triple and quadruple expensive blades with the disposable cartridges. I use the Gillette shaving gell; the kind from the can that releases gel then turns to foam when exposed to air. I'm to impatient to stand in front of a mirror, slather it all on and then do the whole rinse thing.

Don't buy the cheap knock off disposable blades. I did that once and it was horrible. It actually hurts.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:53 am

I think it really depends on your facial hair situation. Poe, sounds like are probably in the same boat as me. Even right after a shave, I've got blue beard going on. By the afternoon, the stubble is noticeable. Thick, fast growing, dark hair. For guys like us, electric is not a viable option. It comes nowhere near as close to the skin as a blade. I've got no experience with a straight razor, but it seems like it would take more time to do.
    I go with the Mach 3. Pure class. It's like the forged cavity back of razors. A bit of forgiveness, but still workable.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:15 pm

I've just decided I'm getting a new razor. Futzed around with electic for a couple of years. Didn't mind the growback as I think it looks kind of cool. Too clean shaven and you look like a corporate drone.

I've since gone back to blades only for the sake of saving a little time. It's also more accurate around the goat. So Mach III, any other votes?
    Poe4soul
    Poe4soul

Post  Poe4soul Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:11 pm

Horseballs wrote:I think it really depends on your facial hair situation. Poe, sounds like are probably in the same boat as me. Even right after a shave, I've got blue beard going on. By the afternoon, the stubble is noticeable. Thick, fast growing, dark hair. For guys like us, electric is not a viable option. It comes nowhere near as close to the skin as a blade. I've got no experience with a straight razor, but it seems like it would take more time to do.
    I go with the Mach 3. Pure class. It's like the forged cavity back of razors. A bit of forgiveness, but still workable.

Yap, sounds about right except my beard is try colored, dark brown, red and grey. Since I'm a surveyor I can get away with, and will usually go a few days without shaving, except the neck and clean up the beard. The real reason I hate electric is 1, they aren't very close and my beard at the neck line ruins my shirts, 2)they don't do very good job cutting 2 or 3 day stubble. It just takes too damn long.

I have a Mach 3 but I'm thinking about trying a safety razor. A straight razor just seems cool. I really like blades. It's having to purchase the other stuff like the strop that has stopped me. Also the price of a good blade.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:47 pm

Poe4soul wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:I think it really depends on your facial hair situation. Poe, sounds like are probably in the same boat as me. Even right after a shave, I've got blue beard going on. By the afternoon, the stubble is noticeable. Thick, fast growing, dark hair. For guys like us, electric is not a viable option. It comes nowhere near as close to the skin as a blade. I've got no experience with a straight razor, but it seems like it would take more time to do.

Yap, sounds about right except my beard is try colored, dark brown, red and grey. Since I'm a surveyor I can get away with, and will usually go a few days without shaving, except the neck and clean up the beard. The real reason I hate electric is 1, they aren't very close and my beard at the neck line ruins my shirts, 2)they don't do very good job cutting 2 or 3 day stubble. It just takes too damn long.

I have a Mach 3 but I'm thinking about trying a safety razor. A straight razor just seems cool. I really like blades. It's having to purchase the other stuff like the strop that has stopped me. Also the price of a good blade.

Can we find you by following a rainbow to it's end, next to a pot of gold?
    Golfaholic

Post  Golfaholic Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:06 pm

Lorenzzo wrote: So Mach III, any other votes?

I used a Mach 3 forever but changed to a Schick Hydro 5 last year after trying it out. I have to shave every day for work and my face can get irritated after a while.

Schick Hydro 5

I think blades are cheaper too.
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:26 pm

Another vote for the Mach III though I think there is a newer model that has 5 blades. I think it is called Fusion or something like that. I tried electric for the convenience and it works Ok on the face but is hopeless for the whiskers on the neck under the chin and jawbone. You go over and over again but still can't seem to get the last of the stubble. So wet shaving for me and you feel so much fresher and cleaner afterwards.

I sometimes give it the quick once over with the electric and then wet shave. Much easier and prolongs the life of those freakin expensive, overpriced disposable blades.

I must say my new Phillishave electric is much better than earlier models I've tried and the battery life is phenomenal. My last razor I was lucky to get one shave out of it. I reckon I could get 20 shaves or more before I need to recharge this thing.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:38 pm

Interesting, but it seems all the Mizuno GFF guys are in to the expensive cartridge razors like the Mach 3 and Fusion. I guess paying a premium price for prestige isn't limited to just golf clubs.
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:01 am

FamousDavis wrote:Interesting, but it seems all the Mizuno GFF guys are in to the expensive cartridge razors like the Mach 3 and Fusion. I guess paying a premium price for prestige isn't limited to just golf clubs.

I tried some cheap disposables once and cut myself to shreds with that POS. Never again.
    Poe4soul
    Poe4soul

Post  Poe4soul Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:50 am

[quote="FamousDavis"]
    Poe4soul wrote:

Yap, sounds about right except my beard is try colored, dark brown, red and grey.

Can we find you by following a rainbow to it's end, next to a pot of gold?

Heritage is Scottish. My beard used to be dark brown and red. In the last 5 or so years I've started to go grey.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:00 am