The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+4
Lorenzzo
Kiwigolfer
Horseballs
trombettista_vecchio
8 posters

Local Golf Season Over

trombettista_vecchio
    trombettista_vecchio

Local Golf Season Over Empty Local Golf Season Over

Post  trombettista_vecchio Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:18 pm

This was a good year for not worrying about scores.

I will never play good golf again and I know it. My body won't physically allow it anymore.

But I don't regret getting back on the course after thinking I was done for good. My girlfriend, niece, nephew (niece's husband, actually), and I have had some pleasant, low pressure rounds together. Acceptance is the main thing--knowing that I no longer have the flexibility to hit it long nor the nerves to putt it true.

There are still some nice shots to be made, and a nice shot still feels good. But this mindset won't work for everybody. Super-competitive types might find it hard to accept a lesser level of play and might rather move on to something else. Nothing wrong with that, either.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Local Golf Season Over Empty Re: Local Golf Season Over

Post  Horseballs Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:40 pm

Yes, we are also done for the year. Last weekend, we had a final little outing that was pretty terrible. It's usually a great event, weather permitting, and I was hosting good friend and his family from out of town this year. It got relegated to 9 holes of putting in our short game facility, plus a 9 hole scramble on temporary greens with 8 inch holes. The worst part is that I got to see my swing on video again. It's better than the last time I saw it 5 years ago, but there are so many weird aspects. I dip my head in the downswing and my leg work is all over the place. I also went past parallel and lost grip contact at the top. Surprising that I can even make contact with all that stuff going on. Impact looked good though. If history is any indicator, I'm going to have a bad 2015. I can't let that swing go unfixed, so my best intentions of swing a club in the basement are going to yield disastrous real world results.
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:47 pm

Horseballs wrote:Yes, we are also done for the year.  Last weekend, we had a final little outing that was pretty terrible.  It's usually a great event, weather permitting, and I was hosting good friend and his family from out of town this year.  It got relegated to 9 holes of putting in our short game facility, plus a 9 hole scramble on temporary greens with 8 inch holes.  The worst part is that I got to see my swing on video again.  It's better than the last time I saw it 5 years ago, but there are so many weird aspects.  I dip my head in the downswing and my leg work is all over the place.  I also went past parallel and lost grip contact at the top.  Surprising that I can even make contact with all that stuff going on.  Impact looked good though.  If history is any indicator, I'm going to have a bad 2015.  I can't let that swing go unfixed, so my best intentions of swing a club in the basement are going to yield disastrous real world results.  

In addition to these basement honed swing changes I suggest a full iron fitting. Perhaps try some Wishon clubs. I hear Nifty loves his. Wink
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:54 am

Kiwigolfer wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:Yes, we are also done for the year.  Last weekend, we had a final little outing that was pretty terrible.  It's usually a great event, weather permitting, and I was hosting good friend and his family from out of town this year.  It got relegated to 9 holes of putting in our short game facility, plus a 9 hole scramble on temporary greens with 8 inch holes.  The worst part is that I got to see my swing on video again.  It's better than the last time I saw it 5 years ago, but there are so many weird aspects.  I dip my head in the downswing and my leg work is all over the place.  I also went past parallel and lost grip contact at the top.  Surprising that I can even make contact with all that stuff going on.  Impact looked good though.  If history is any indicator, I'm going to have a bad 2015.  I can't let that swing go unfixed, so my best intentions of swing a club in the basement are going to yield disastrous real world results.  

In addition to these basement honed swing changes I suggest a full iron fitting. Perhaps try some Wishon clubs. I hear Nifty loves his. Wink
    Well Kiwi, I was born on a day but it wasn't yesterday. Maybe I'll just do nothing golf-related for the next 4 months. The other weird thing about my swing is that I really try to have a straight left arm, but it wasn't straight on the video. I should probably phone up Pingman and totally breakdown everything. I have a feeling my P4 accumulator is competing with the J axis of my knee turn. As everyone knows, this has the unintended consequence reversing the pinky lag I built up during the toe load in sequence 7.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:38 am

Horseballs wrote:
    Kiwigolfer wrote:

Well Kiwi, I was born on a day but it wasn't yesterday.  Maybe I'll just do nothing golf-related for the next 4 months.  The other weird thing about my swing is that I really try to have a straight left arm, but it wasn't straight on the video.  I should probably phone up Pingman and totally breakdown everything.  I have a feeling my P4 accumulator is competing with the J axis of my knee turn.  As everyone knows, this has the unintended consequence reversing the pinky lag I built up during the toe load in sequence 7.  

I won't claim qualification from lessons I've taken but will from the many, many I've watched.  Unless you want weeklies and a rebuild, focus on one thing.  Shorten your swing.  Stop at three quarters. Use video and a drill or two to augment.

Without admitting it to us or anyone else, find a field and simply throw a club until you make it go straight without thinking about anything. Video that. Proper feel and motion without technical torture.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:13 pm

Lorenzzo wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Kiwigolfer wrote:

Well Kiwi, I was born on a day but it wasn't yesterday.  Maybe I'll just do nothing golf-related for the next 4 months.  The other weird thing about my swing is that I really try to have a straight left arm, but it wasn't straight on the video.  I should probably phone up Pingman and totally breakdown everything.  I have a feeling my P4 accumulator is competing with the J axis of my knee turn.  As everyone knows, this has the unintended consequence reversing the pinky lag I built up during the toe load in sequence 7.  

I won't claim qualification from lessons I've taken but will from the many, many I've watched.  Unless you want weeklies and a rebuild, focus on one thing.  Shorten your swing.  Stop at three quarters. Use video and a drill or two to augment.

Without admitting it to us or anyone else, find a field and simply throw a club until you make it go straight without thinking about anything. Video that. Proper feel and motion without technical torture.
    In my case, having a better looking swing is purely a vanity thing. I've been less than a stroke from being scratch with my current self-taught unfolding lawnchair motion, and I have never been able to do the necessary things required to untap my full potential. With a couple exceptions, I've gotten better every year. It would be nice to spend a few hours a week working on weaknesses, but I see myself having less time, not more for the foreseeable future.
    I think you're right, though. The slight dipping/bent arm/etc. are fine, but the overswing with the left hand losing contact with the grip is a real problem. I think I'm going to stay away from video for awhile. My head pro, who I've never taken a lesson from, is a great player and people rave about his instruction. He offered a deal from November - February for unlimited one-on-one lessons for a fixed cost. He limited it to 12 people, and I was seriously considering it. Then again, I may b!tch about it, but I need the break from golf. I always get in great shape over the winter and enjoy pushing those limits.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:49 pm

Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Kiwigolfer wrote:

In my case, having a better looking swing is purely a vanity thing.  I've been less than a stroke from being scratch with my current self-taught unfolding lawnchair motion, and I have never been able to do the necessary things required to untap my full potential.  With a couple exceptions, I've gotten better every year.  It would be nice to spend a few hours a week working on weaknesses, but I see myself having less time, not more for the foreseeable future.  
    I think you're right, though.  The slight dipping/bent arm/etc. are fine, but the overswing with the left hand losing contact with the grip is a real problem.  I think I'm going to stay away from video for awhile.  My head pro, who I've never taken a lesson from, is a great player and people rave about his instruction.  He offered a deal from November - February for unlimited one-on-one lessons for a fixed cost.  He limited it to 12 people, and I was seriously considering it.  Then again, I may b!tch about it, but I need the break from golf.  I always get in great shape over the winter and enjoy pushing those limits.  

Well all of human pride and accomplishment has roots in vanity doesn't it?  To disparage vanity is to disparage accomplishment.   It's more a question of degree. For instance if I look like a vomiting stork skiing down the slope it casts a pall on having the ability to ski down the slope. At the same time if I look pretty good but feel compelled to look like I'm the best then perhaps the balance swings too far.

It's a matter of degree. Another test for this is how much would one give up in score to look great instead of awful. Very few would take the Furyk approach. Very very few.  This becomes inescapable to you when you watch a video of yourself.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:39 pm

Lorenzzo wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Kiwigolfer wrote:

In my case, having a better looking swing is purely a vanity thing.  I've been less than a stroke from being scratch with my current self-taught unfolding lawnchair motion, and I have never been able to do the necessary things required to untap my full potential.  With a couple exceptions, I've gotten better every year.  It would be nice to spend a few hours a week working on weaknesses, but I see myself having less time, not more for the foreseeable future.  
    I think you're right, though.  The slight dipping/bent arm/etc. are fine, but the overswing with the left hand losing contact with the grip is a real problem.  I think I'm going to stay away from video for awhile.  My head pro, who I've never taken a lesson from, is a great player and people rave about his instruction.  He offered a deal from November - February for unlimited one-on-one lessons for a fixed cost.  He limited it to 12 people, and I was seriously considering it.  Then again, I may b!tch about it, but I need the break from golf.  I always get in great shape over the winter and enjoy pushing those limits.  

Well all of human pride and accomplishment has roots in vanity doesn't it?  To disparage vanity is to disparage accomplishment.   It's more a question of degree. For instance if I look like a vomiting stork skiing down the slope it casts a pall on having the ability to ski down the slope. At the same time if I look pretty good but feel compelled to look like I'm the best then perhaps the balance swings too far.

It's a matter of degree. Another test for this is how much would one give up in score to look great instead of awful. Very few would take the Furyk approach. Very very few.  This becomes inescapable to you when you watch a video of yourself.
    Honestly, I would give up zero score to look better. I could easily accept a regression followed by a higher potential, but nothing is guaranteed. Like I said, it's not like I've reached any known plateau with the weird looking swing. Then again, we are our own worst critics. The mind's eye doesn't always reflect reality. It's not like people are making fun of my swing, at least not to my face.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:53 pm

Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Kiwigolfer wrote:

Honestly, I would give up zero score to look better.  I could easily accept a regression followed by a higher potential, but nothing is guaranteed.  Like I said, it's not like I've reached any known plateau with the weird looking swing.  Then again, we are our own worst critics.  The mind's eye doesn't always reflect reality.  It's not like people are making fun of my swing, at least not to my face.  

All good points suggesting you just stick with the status quo. I'm perhaps influenced by my involvement in ski instruction. If anything looks ugly to me it's going to hamper performance that's just the way skiing technique is.

And skiing flaws end up costing fun, access and chicks. But now I'm kind of not into recruiting chicks and in my situation pushing the fun and access envelopes pushes the margin of safety. In golf the chicks and access aspects don't apply and it sounds like you have plenty of fun.

The only other thing I would point out is the more homespun your technique the more prone you are to failure under pressure. I'm thinking things like four ball.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:35 am

Lorenzzo wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Kiwigolfer wrote:

Honestly, I would give up zero score to look better.  I could easily accept a regression followed by a higher potential, but nothing is guaranteed.  Like I said, it's not like I've reached any known plateau with the weird looking swing.  Then again, we are our own worst critics.  The mind's eye doesn't always reflect reality.  It's not like people are making fun of my swing, at least not to my face.  

All good points suggesting you just stick with the status quo.   I'm perhaps influenced by my involvement in ski instruction.  If anything looks ugly to me it's going to hamper performance that's just the way skiing technique is.

And skiing flaws end up costing fun, access and chicks.  But now I'm kind of not into recruiting chicks and in my situation pushing the fun and access envelopes pushes the margin of safety.  In golf the chicks and access aspects don't apply and it sounds like you have plenty of fun.

The only other thing I would point out is the more homespun your technique the more prone you are to failure under pressure. I'm thinking things like four ball.
    Hard to argue with the last part. Of course there is no guarantee than convention is going to help with anything, which was my point in the first place.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:10 pm

It's around 70 degrees today in So. Cal. Playing this Friday and Sunday. Should be able to take off the rain pants by 10am and be in shorts.
    jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:12 pm

We arrived yesterday in Palm Beach Gardens to some light rain. This morning was 55* and I was in shorts and others on the course were looking at me like I was nutz. They all had on everything they owned and then some. Guess it's downright cold for them.
    Expecting low 70's during the days coming up.

To all of you in the NE, I don't mean to break your balls, but........................yeah, I do. Laughing

Tomorrow I put my new sticks in play, JPX850's.

Fairways and Greens, my friends!
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:38 am

FamousDavis wrote:It's around 70 degrees today in So. Cal.  Playing this Friday and Sunday.  Should be able to take off the rain pants by 10am and be in shorts.  

It was ~ 70F in Delaware last Monday 11/24... went out for a round,... It was windy and I was rusty, not a good combination but we had fun and my body ached afterward .... Sh$$$t, old age
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:56 am

jmtbkr wrote:We arrived yesterday in Palm Beach Gardens to some light rain. This morning was 55* and I was in shorts and others on the course were looking at me like I was nutz. They all had on everything they owned and then some. Guess it's downright cold for them.

To all of you in the NE, I don't mean to break your balls, but........................yeah, I do. Laughing

Did you get the cast or forged JPX 850's?
    jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:38 pm

Mongrel wrote:
    jmtbkr wrote:We arrived yesterday in Palm Beach Gardens to some light rain. This morning was 55* and I was in shorts and others on the course were looking at me like I was nutz. They all had on everything they owned and then some. Guess it's downright cold for them.

Did you get the cast or forged JPX 850's?

Got the cast 850's.
    Hit them both (850 and 850 forged) off grass and the regular ones were alot easier to hit and better on my mishits.
    They carry a bit furthur than my old set - even adjusting for using the same lofts - and I can't argue with that.
    Anything to make it easier as we age cheers

I may strip the blue paint off the backs. Saw someone on WRX that did it and it looked pretty good.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:47 am