The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+5
Horseballs
FreakOfNature
Lorenzzo
Mongrel
Pky6471
9 posters

Share The Wealth...

Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Share The Wealth... - Page 3 Empty Re: Share The Wealth...

Post  Lorenzzo Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:54 am

Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:Well of course in a large group that's true, where often the riders like or need the security of each other.

Most riding here however is done individually, with several other riders or in weekend quasi race excursions. The pace most definitely gets pushed. The most fun is individual when you come up on another rider or he comes up on you. It's kind of like dragracing as a teenager.

I will say this place is not like others I've been. It is really really competitive here.
    Do you really ride solo most of the time?  I was into cycling pretty avidly at one point, and we exclusively rode in groups of 2 - 5.  This was in the hill country of Texas where a certain blood doper you may have heard of did most of his training.  Maybe it's different where you are, but there were way too many clueless drivers to ride solo.  Even the USAF triathlon team would cycle in groups.  I never lived and breathed it, but most of the solo work was done on spinning bikes indoors, and usually in intervals of sprints and recovery.  
    Within the group, I'd try to push the pace when out front.  

I played most of the courses in the Austin area but never cycled there.  There was this gap between when I was 15 and my mid 40-s when I don't think I ever got on a road bike.  Considering the terrain it must have been a good place for it. Except for Texas drivers.

The situation here is definitely different. Most road cycling is done individually for conditioning.  Exceptions are racing or organized tours. It could change with a fatality but we just haven't had one as far as anyone knows. Partly because of the winter snow and partly due to an amazing interest level in cycling the shoulders on roads are generous and the network of bike paths both road and mountain are crazy.

If you are talking about triathletes on bikes, they do often ride together but more often indoors. An ex GF is a triathlete. I had little interest in following the structure necessary to do that and at my age I would most likely have broken down.

Path development began as a way to attract summer visitors to a winter tourist town. Eventually residents became bike oriented and drove it further.  These days the greater draw is mountain biking and path development has focused on that.  Mountain biking is more often done in groups. I mountain bike socially and road cycle individually except races. Although you can find several races a week here and I often participate.

Over the next couple of months bike manufacturers will gather and release many of their new models here, it's that much of a bike place. Many of the well healed latch on to the new bikes and as a result the bike swaps here are incredible. I'm hoping to pick up A lightly used bike for next year.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:05 am

Pky6471 wrote:Zo,,, I hate to say it... but don't be a cunttttttt , Hit a bucket with your 8i... then 25* gaybrid, 22* gaybrid, then 19* gaybrid... stop where you have problem.  Hit with the club you feel comfortable with and get back into the game.  I shot the worse game in yrs on Monday 102.... even shank my chip, how could you shank a chip shot? I will show you how, that's how I got into green side bunkers ... and I forgot how to get out, took at least 3 swings to get out... and I got in green side bunkers 3 times.  do the math

I admit I'm tempted. We'll see.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:19 am

Lorenzzo wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:Well of course in a large group that's true, where often the riders like or need the security of each other.

Most riding here however is done individually, with several other riders or in weekend quasi race excursions. The pace most definitely gets pushed. The most fun is individual when you come up on another rider or he comes up on you. It's kind of like dragracing as a teenager.

I will say this place is not like others I've been. It is really really competitive here.
    Do you really ride solo most of the time?  I was into cycling pretty avidly at one point, and we exclusively rode in groups of 2 - 5.  This was in the hill country of Texas where a certain blood doper you may have heard of did most of his training.  Maybe it's different where you are, but there were way too many clueless drivers to ride solo.  Even the USAF triathlon team would cycle in groups.  I never lived and breathed it, but most of the solo work was done on spinning bikes indoors, and usually in intervals of sprints and recovery.  

I played most of the courses in the Austin area but never cycled there.  There was this gap between when I was 15 and my mid 40-s when I don't think I ever got on a road bike.  Considering the terrain it must have been a good place for it. Except for Texas drivers.

The situation here is definitely different. Most road cycling is done individually for conditioning.  Exceptions are racing or organized tours. It could change with a fatality but we just haven't had one as far as anyone knows. Partly because of the winter snow and partly due to an amazing interest level in cycling the shoulders on roads are generous and the network of bike paths both road and mountain are crazy.

If you are talking about triathletes on bikes, they do often ride together but more often indoors. An ex GF is a triathlete. I had little interest in following the structure necessary to do that and at my age I would most likely have broken down.

Path development began as a way to attract summer visitors to a winter tourist town. Eventually residents became bike oriented and drove it further.  These days the greater draw is mountain biking and path development has focused on that.  Mountain biking is more often done in groups. I mountain bike socially and road cycle individually except races. Although you can find several races a week here and I often participate.

Over the next couple of months bike manufacturers will gather and release many of their new models here, it's that much of a bike place. Many of the well healed latch on to the new bikes and as a result the bike swaps here are incredible. I'm hoping to pick up A lightly used bike for next year.
    The secondary market is definitely the way to go for road bikes. I don't know if I'd trust a used mtb bike unless it was pristine. I destroyed mine and sold it for next to nothing. So many rich guys get into cycling and buy 10K bikes only to give it up. Cycling is worse than golf for equipment junkies.

The bubbas in TX pretty much rule the road in their F350 trucks.

When I was in TX, I was into all kinds of exercise. The group from Concord Athletic Club I hung out with were amazing. It just seemed to attract great former and current athletes. Tim Duncan was there all the time in the off season. I was in a running group with this tiny Mexican boxer who's name now escapes me. Huge tennis mecca as well. I hardly ever played golf there.
    It was awesome being in such great cardio shape, but I think it also had to do with being in my mid-20's. I could pretty much do anything pretty well without training specifically, like rock climbing or triathlons involving rowing. I know what it took to get into that shape, and I just don't have the stomach for it anymore.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:46 am

Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:

The secondary market is definitely the way to go for road bikes.  I don't know if I'd trust a used mtb bike unless it was pristine. I destroyed mine and sold it for next to nothing.  So many rich guys get into cycling and buy 10K bikes only to give it up.  Cycling is worse than golf for equipment junkies.  

The bubbas in TX pretty much rule the road in their F350 trucks.  

When I was in TX, I was into all kinds of exercise.  The group from Concord Athletic Club I hung out with were amazing.  It just seemed to attract great former and current athletes.  Tim Duncan was there all the time in the off season.  I was in a running group with this tiny Mexican boxer who's name now escapes me.  Huge tennis mecca as well.  I hardly ever played golf there.  
    It was awesome being in such great cardio shape, but I think it also had to do with being in my mid-20's.  I could pretty much do anything pretty well without training specifically, like rock climbing or triathlons involving rowing.  I know what it took to get into that shape, and I just don't have the stomach for it anymore.  

It's like that here partly driven by Olympic coaching and training and partly because ex jocks often come to a place like this. This town is all about outdoor sports participation which includes serious conditioning.  A perfect example is Eric Heiden.  He's a well-regarded orthopedist working out of the local hospital. It isn't hard to find him cycling on the roads. I don't plan on ever taking him on.

I wouldn't underestimate your body's ability to be in amazing shape through your 40s and 50s. I didn't realize how much until I ran into the folks here. That maximum heart rate per age chart I'm sure you've seen?  Trust me… It's bullshit.

Yes, you understand the benefits of being in great condition. I've known it since my teenage years when I was involved in a sport seriously. You can literally screw all day long. Just walking around is more fun… you just feel better.

Notwithstanding… you can't really raise a family and hard charge a career while being in peak condition. I couldn't. There are phases of your life. You never know what the future might bring.  I sure didn't foresee the life I have now when I was in my early 40-s.
    trombettista_vecchio
    trombettista_vecchio

Post  trombettista_vecchio Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:58 pm

I'm not sure why, but this somehow reminds me of my days of subscribing to golf magazines, something I haven't done for a while.

They seemed to be crusaders on two topics: cheaper golf course maintenance and faster play.

Never did they conclude that these two concerns were in 180° conflict, a fact which should be obvious to all.

The more "natural" a golf course is kept, the slower the play will be.  The more it's maintained like a pristine, spacious park, the faster the play will be.

Playing golf became became available to me when I was twelve years old, but what never became possible for me were the two things that playing golf made me want to do as much as playing: design golf courses and design golf clubs.  In my over-opinionated mind, I could, with the proper tech support, surpass the exploits of anybody actually doing these things.  

True. My golf courses would look like a cross between Central Park and Forest Lawn, but with tees and greens.  My golf clubs would resemble those of Bobby Jones from the face side and 1970s Browning 440s from the back and bottom.  And with those courses and those clubs, i would enjoy the game even more.

As long as I'm wishing, I also wish it were possible to move full grown trees.  I love well spaced trees, as in a grove, but I abhore natural woods alongside a golf hole.  I've got woods behind my hoiuse.  Great for an occasional visit from a pretty doe or a gaggle of wild turkeys, but I wouldn't play golf there.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:35 pm

It appears as though Ebola is gaining momentum in Africa to the point where it could kill millions.  Will it hit the United States? Will it become an epidemic here? Can a vaccine be found?

I've decided cats make the best pets although dogs aren't that bad except for the walking and going on the rug when it's snowing.

I wouldn't go outside to take a shit in the middle of a snowstorm either....

I'll never go back to wearing a wrist watch no matter how cool the new Apple device is.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:46 pm

When I think of reduced maintenance, the first things I think of are water and chemicals. Some years ago it became all the rage for the owners and operators of public privately owned and municipal courses to try to emulate the conditions the PGA Tour plays on as seen by everyone with a TV set. That has meant green fairways cut down to the nubbins so that a chopper drive that carries 185 rolls out another 30-60 yards. In many climates, that fairway requires loads of water, fertilizer, pesticides and frequent aeration and rolling to achieve those conditions. Next we have the greens that must also look like Augusta or Congressional and must be at least 75% as fast as tour spec greens. Trundle over to the rough and notice that most of it may not be that high, but it sure is thick. This is the result of extra fertilizer and extensive watering to get it as close to U.S. Open quality as possible.

All the above measures usually succeed in turning a 6,000 yard white-tee track into a five and a half hour weekend expedition.

Now if I were the Fuhrer of Golf, I would have them stop throwing water on the fairways. And to avoid burnout, stop mowing it so damn low. If it dries out, shaggy dry fairways will run as fast as sodden 3/8" cut ones. As for the greens, all you need to do is not cut them so fucking low and slow them down a bit. And you know those high priced golf architects who built or re-built your course? Well those assholes put all the severe contours in your greens that are great for challenging the tenth of one percent of the universe of golfing males who are scratch and plus but leave the masses with three and four putts and fifteen minutes for four guys to putt out.

As for the rough, why not just not fucking water and fertilize it. If it browns out, so what? Balls are much easier to find in browned out rough and you can get some really good lies there too. Would save beaucoup time.

As for the trees, leave them alone except maybe hire some Mexicans to trim the lowest branches say six or seven feet up from the ground so you can find your ball and be able to take a white man's swing to get your ball back into play.
    trombettista_vecchio
    trombettista_vecchio

Post  trombettista_vecchio Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:51 pm

All good ideas, Mongrel.

As for the daig's insights, my mouth is agape in admiration. With or without his permission, I will use his words as though they were originally my own.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:34 pm