The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

Buying Pot Freely in Colorado and now WA state

Kiwigolfer

Re: Buying Pot Freely in Colorado and now WA state

Post  Kiwigolfer on Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:54 am

Lorenzzo wrote:
    Mongrel wrote:No but the Colombian Cartel is mourning the loss of one of its best customers. Robin Williams died by self-inflicted hanging. He was 63. Nanoose Nanoose.
    I can barely relate to being depressed at all. The idea of that someone can take the life over it is bizarre to me.

My theory relates to his not being funny.  He must have realized he wasn't funny when watching tape of himself trying to be funny and at some point it was just too much.

Yeah I never found him particularly funny and that manic behavior gets old pretty quickly. I thought he was best in serious roles like Dead Poets Society and Good Will Hunting.
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel on Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:55 am

I first saw him on TV about the first time I saw cable TV....sometime in the '80's. I don't remember exactly when but he was doing a stand-up totally uncensored and sprinkled with a liberal helping of fucks, shits and all the rest. I thought he was wonderfully funny and then later on I gave up coke. He didn't. I wonder who did more coke: him or Belushi? As for being funny, a lot of people watched him like they watch auto races. For the eventual crash and burn. He was so fucked up that he thought they were laughing at his work and not at him.
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs on Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:18 pm

Robin Williams was part of the triad of unfunny comedians who performed in the Charity known as Comic Relief. Him, Billy Crystal, and Whoopi Goldberg. 3 of the most unfunny humans on the planet, ironically known for being funny.

I will not speak ill of the dead, but I will make a general mean-spirited statement in his honor. The world is a funnier place today than it was yesterday.
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel on Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:48 pm

He'd gone through two dumpster's worth of blow. Three marriages. A bunch of funky films and TV shows. Recent canceled series. Bills to pay and low on cash. He reached the end of his rope.
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 on Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:28 pm

Mongrel wrote:I first saw him on TV about the first time I saw cable TV....sometime in the '80's. I don't remember exactly when but he was doing a stand-up totally uncensored and sprinkled with a liberal helping of fucks, shits and all the rest. I thought he was wonderfully funny and then later on I gave up coke. He didn't. I wonder who did more coke: him or Belushi? As for being funny, a lot of people watched him like they watch auto races. For the eventual crash and burn. He was so fucked up that he thought they were laughing at his work and not at him.

I know he was in rehab... did not know that he was heavily in coke?
    It's difficult to understand human's brain , it's more complex than we think. When I was young (5th or 6th grade) my relative (I called him Uncle) who was in the 20s committed suicide, survived by his Mom, a VERY beautiful young wife and two young daughters. I was too young to understand why, when I was 20-25 I thought that he was totally irresponsible for what he did to himself and his family.... When I was 50+ I began to understand that our brain is very complex,,,, I began to accept that the "pain" that he went thru - whatever it was - was too much for him.... We could never understand the "pain" that Mork went thru, let's hope that we would not have to go thru that "pain"

jt1135

Post  jt1135 on Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:53 pm

Just wondering?

How many of you guys that don't like Williams like Jim Carrey?
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 on Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:55 pm

Not a big robin williams fan but deep inside, you have to admit, that when he did the golf skit it was funny as hell.
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer on Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:14 pm

jt1135 wrote:Just wondering?

I never said I didn't like Robin Williams I just didn't find him funny. Jim Carrey humor is different again. His movies are just moronic face pulling, gestures and sound effects. Totally different if you ask me.

As HB stated Whoopi Goldberg and Billy Crystal are up there too. Although Williams was more manic all three chose that style of loudly and brashly stating the obvious and it was considered humour?  confused 
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo on Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:36 am

Kiwigolfer wrote:
    jt1135 wrote:Just wondering?

I never said I didn't like Robin Williams I just didn't find him funny. Jim Carrey humor is different again. His movies are just moronic face pulling, gestures and sound effects. Totally different if you ask me.

As HB stated Whoopi Goldberg and Billy Crystal are up there too. Although Williams was more manic all three chose that style of loudly and brashly stating the obvious and it was considered humour?  confused 

I agree with with HB and Kiwi, the three weren't funny but RW was compelling in serious roles. That doesn't mean I didn't like him in fact I saw his pain and felt badly for him. He seemed tragic.

Jim Carrey is a different story. I found him hilarious at times in a class clown kind of way. Maybe it was because I was a class clown. He did serious well too. The Majestic is an excellent film.
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs on Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:25 am

I'm going to throw Adam Sandler under the bus as well. I was watching one of the "best of" Saturday Night Live shows dealing with the 90's and 2000's and I was shocked by unfunny Sandler was. I remember thinking he was pretty funny. Just the same thing over and over again. He's like listening to a fart. Can be humorous, but is the 1000th fart going to still make me laugh?

Mongrel

Post  Mongrel on Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:04 am

Now I don't watch much comedy or TV (except for golf, NFL, a little MLB, and some of the "reality" shows like "Fast and Loud", "Counting Cars", the OK City street racers etc), but the one I find to be outrageously funny is Sascha Baron Cohen.
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer on Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:53 pm

Mongrel wrote:Now I don't watch much comedy or TV (except for golf, NFL, a little MLB, and some of the "reality" shows like "Fast and Loud", "Counting Cars", the OK City street racers etc), but the one I find to be outrageously funny is Sascha Baron Cohen.

Is Sacha Baron Cohen making anything new these days? I loved the old Ali G show and all three characters, Ali G, Borat and Bruno were individually hilarious. But since Borat the movie he became too well known to fool people anymore. Bruno the movie was diabolical IMO and that movie The Dictator was lame. He just behaved like Borat in a fictional movie which wasn't funny in the least. Still love his early work though and there is a lot of it on YouTube.
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel on Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:06 pm

The Dictator was sort of lame but watchable for me. I thought Ali G was good. Bruno was diabolical and hysterical. One of my all time fav scenes is when he has renounced homosexuality and is standing amidst the congregation shouting "This ass is for shitting." I think I spit out my coffee and dropped my cigarette on my lap when that hit.

I'd bet he is chilling out now and I'm sure there are 10,000+ fatwas issued by imams far and wide for his beheading. The movie I'd really like to see is where he sneaks into Mecca during the hajj with a hidden camera and microphone.
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo on Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:58 pm

Horseballs wrote:I'm going to throw Adam Sandler under the bus as well.  I was watching one of the "best of" Saturday Night Live shows dealing with the 90's and 2000's and I was shocked by unfunny Sandler was.  I remember thinking he was pretty funny.  Just the same thing over and over again.  He's like listening to a fart.  Can be humorous, but is the 1000th fart going to still make me laugh?  

I wasn't aware Adam Sandler was a comedian. Hmmm.

The one that stumps me is Ellen DeGenerous. I shouldn't find her funny for many reasons but I do. But then my sense of humor tends toward arm farts.

Tell me arm farts aren't funny...
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 on Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:42 pm

Lorenzzo wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:I'm going to throw Adam Sandler under the bus as well.  I was watching one of the "best of" Saturday Night Live shows dealing with the 90's and 2000's and I was shocked by unfunny Sandler was.  I remember thinking he was pretty funny.  Just the same thing over and over again.  He's like listening to a fart.  Can be humorous, but is the 1000th fart going to still make me laugh?  

I wasn't aware Adam Sandler was a comedian. Hmmm.

The one that stumps me is Ellen DeGenerous. I shouldn't find her funny for many reasons but I do. But then my sense of humor tends toward arm farts.

Tell me arm farts aren't funny...

OK. I'll call your Ellen Degenerous and raise you a Rosie O'donnell.

And yes, arm farts are funny, at least they were when I was 12.
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis on Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:20 pm

I have never seen a Robin Williams TV Show or Movie that I liked with the exception of Dead Poet's Society and Good Will Hunting. Ironic that he plays a solitary man in both and an alcoholic in Good Will Hunting. Those are his two most praised roles so why didn't he do more drama?

Other people that are not funny at all:

Eddie Murphy after Trading Places (with the exception of his voice in Shrek)

Chevy Chase

Geoffrey Dahmer (I guess that's obvious)

Most Jim Carey movies

Martin Lawrence

Also, I hate stand up comedians that laugh after they make a joke.

Nobody walks down the middle of the street anymore in Furguson, MO.

Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer on Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:35 am

Did you think Chevy Chase was funny in Caddyshack?

Robin Williams wasn't an alcoholic in Good Will Hunting. I remember him having a beer with his old academic buddy as they discussed the Unabomber.
    trombettista_vecchio

Post  trombettista_vecchio on Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:18 pm

I watch  a lot of the Sunday Night Premium Cable shows, sometimes even if they suck.  They're too fucking expensive to skip.  And I have to have HBO for Bob Arum's Top Rank fights and I have to buy Showtime for Oscar Delahoya's Golden Boy fights.  That's still my favorite sport.

Except for Louis Black, I hate standup specials, and there are very few contemporary films I can sit through. Get On Up was good.

As an aside, I favor not only legalizing cannabis, but decontroling all opiates and barbituates as well.

Coke and all uppers should stay illegal, but downers and chill pills are good for everybody.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:51 am